BCAA's degradation time

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Once mixed with water, how long does it take for the bcaa's to degrade?

Why? When dieting, I literally sip on them all day long (15+ hours)

lboston

lboston

Awards
I've read online here are good for at least that...

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ya I was told a few times that its good for a day or so....

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
We had a thread about this exact same subject a few months ago or so....but I can't for the life of me remember the title or who started it....we figured it was good for 12 hours or more although many of us preferred to mix it up and drink it right away as opposed to letting it sit in water all day. as long as its kept cold, should be fine though. heat is the main culprit for degradation ......

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BCAAs are not going to break down into anything without some help from enzymes. You're fine keeping it in water. The only thing I would worry about is like a week or so you may cause bacteria to grow. So letting it sit overnight or sipping it throughout the day is absolutely fine.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome. Thanks all

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We had a thread about this exact same subject a few months ago or so....but I can't for the life of me remember the title or who started it....we figured it was good for 12 hours or more although many of us preferred to mix it up and drink it right away as opposed to letting it sit in water all day. as long as its kept cold, should be fine though. heat is the main culprit for degradation ......
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/189209-bcaa-life-2.html

I would just ask why mixing them up in advance is really something that needs doing? If anything, and you're wanting to cut down on time, I'd put it in the bottle or jug and then just pour the water in in the morning (as pouring water hopefully won't make or break your schedule lol). I've never had an issue with aminos taking that long to mix up. It's all going the same place, anyway, so I can't say I care too much if it's mixed perfectly or not.

Just my .02

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/189209-bcaa-life-2.html

I would just ask why mixing them up in advance is really something that needs doing? If anything, and you're wanting to cut down on time, I'd put it in the bottle or jug and then just pour the water in in the morning (as pouring water hopefully won't make or break your schedule lol). I've never had an issue with aminos taking that long to mix up. It's all going the same place, anyway, so I can't say I care too much if it's mixed perfectly or not.

Just my .02
yep thats the thread! And I agree with your method, I put the BCAA or leucine powder in a cup or whatever.....then add water when I want to drink it later...or pour the powder in my mouth and chase it with water or zero coke. that is if its a 5-10 gram dose, not too much powder. LMFAO at "pouring not messing up your schedule" :D

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
I read somewhere 36 hours. Idk where.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yep thats the thread! And I agree with your method, I put the BCAA or leucine powder in a cup or whatever.....then add water when I want to drink it later...or pour the powder in my mouth and chase it with water or zero coke. that is if its a 5-10 gram dose, not too much powder. LMFAO at "pouring not messing up your schedule" :D
I only mentioned it because I used to be the same way and would line stuff out the night before to "save time." Bottom line is it's taking time from my morning or my evening, so I just stopped caring lol. But I don't like anything being mixed for longer than it has to. Just a personal mini-paranoia.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I only mentioned it because I used to be the same way and would line stuff out the night before to "save time." Bottom line is it's taking time from my morning or my evening, so I just stopped caring lol. But I don't like anything being mixed for longer than it has to. Just a personal mini-paranoia.
yeah me too....like I said in the other thread, depends on your level of paranoia/OCD :D. I get F-in powders all over my damn car sometimes mixing up stuff I stored as a powder in a mixer or cup....I thought the other day, some cop is gonna stop me and see the white leucine powder all over the place and arrest me for cocaine possession! BCAA are one thing, but I swear I heard numerous times that mixing free form aminos and leaving them sit in water for extended periods is a no-no. That might be where my paranoia stems from.....

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If you are sipping your BCAAs all day you're doing it wrong.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
If you are sipping your BCAAs all day you're doing it wrong.
I personally take my BCAA all PWO.....usually 30 grams or so of 8:1:1.....but on off days I take 5-10 grams leucine split throughout 3-4 times usually on an empty stomach or close to it. It seemed this was the best protocol from what I know and what I've read, combining ideas....

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BCAA's (and most amino acids) don't hydrolyze readily. In aqueous environments, they'll last for a long time at room temp.

Creatine is an exception because of the charge on the 'double-bonded amine' group (I'm sure there's a special IUPAC name for that type of functional group, but I don't know it); which can react with the carboxylate group in solution, forming creatinine and water.