glutamine question

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i take glutamine 2x daily when i wake up and after my workout 5 grams each time both times i take it with about 8 ounces of grape juice i do this after my workouts to get some dex in to replace muscle glycogen is it a good idea to take it in the morning with the grape juice? or should i just take it with water?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i take glutamine 2x daily when i wake up and after my workout 5 grams each time both times i take it with about 8 ounces of grape juice i do this after my workouts to get some dex in to replace muscle glycogen is it a good idea to take it in the morning with the grape juice? or should i just take it with water?
It's likely the glutamine isn't getting past your digestive system.

Pirate

Awards
Take it when you wake up, on an empty stomach. I just mix it with my creatine or protien shake. Too much glutamine wont hurt, but I would definitly take it in the morning and before you go to bed. You can mix it with water or grape juice but I think it would be easier to mix it with a protien shake or creatine.

-Pirate

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
CDB why do you think its not getting past my digestive system?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
CDB why do you think its not getting past my digestive system?
Orally taken glutamine is absorbed by the digestive system and little if any makes it to the blood stream. Plenty of studies show it, Bobo has posted tons of them I believe. I've never seen a study showing it to have any effectiveness at gaining mass or increasing endurance. It does settle the stomach quite nicely when you've got a case of the craps.

PiKappaWRX

Awards
i've read multiple studies, i'd post them if i still knew where they were, but glutamine does basically nothing for you beside minimally help you retain muscle when cutting or eating under maintenance. overall, from review i've heard also, it's a worthless product. i've used it before and just haven't seen any benefit from it, so i've stopped buying it.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i've read multiple studies, i'd post them if i still knew where they were, but glutamine does basically nothing for you beside minimally help you retain muscle when cutting or eating under maintenance. overall, from review i've heard also, it's a worthless product. i've used it before and just haven't seen any benefit from it, so i've stopped buying it.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but it's got it's place, that being when your place is in the crapper more often than not. Glutamine is great for settling the stomach and getting yourself off the bowl, if you've got that problem.

PiKappaWRX

Awards
i agree with you, i only mention the effects of glutamine in terms of weight lifting instead of general health as well. you're right though, it definately has it's place in those troubling situations.