Do you use prohormones? steroids? test boosters? What are you using for cholesterol?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I was trying the zone 40/30/30 and the macrobolic which is 45/35/20...
    Think they both work, just requires good food choices and dedication. Cutting cals and low carb will sure lean ya out.... Sux carbs are so bad. Wish carbs were protein... wait what?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%

Pantethine, niacin, taurine, fish oil to name a few things I have taken and successfully kept things in check
  3. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    So for someone like me, what is an effective remedy?Or, with my high levels of "good" cholesterol and low triglycerides, am I ok?Suggestions?
    High LDL results arent necessarily a bad thing. When you get blood work done your LDL is usually estimated and not an actual measurement. Ask your doctor for a VAP test for a lipoprotein analysis and see what type of LDL is making up your LDL count. Typically people with high HDL combined with low trig usually also have more of the larger LDL and less of the smaller dense LDL. If your VAP test confirms this then your high LDL will not be a concern for you. However, if your results do come back showing sdLDL dominates your LDL count than I would suggest intermittent fasting. Recent research (Improvements in LDL particle size and distribution... [Br J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI) has shown IF results in an improvement of LDL health. Also lower overall carb intake and eliminate trans fat and refined, processed foods as these all contribute towards inflammation
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    High LDL results arent necessarily a bad thing.

When you get blood work done your LDL is usually estimated and an actual measurement. Ask your doctor for a VAP test for a lipoprotein analysis and see what type of LDL is making up your LDL count. Typically people with high HDL combined with low trig usually also have more of the larger LDL and less of the smaller dense LDL. If your VAP test confirms this then your high LDL will not be a concern for you.

However, if your results do come back showing sdLDL dominates your LDL count than I would suggest intermittent fasting. Recent research (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20880415) has shown IF results in an improvement of LDL health. Also lower overall carb intake and eliminate trans fat and refined, processed foods as these all contribute towards inflammation
    Good info on a VAP test; a much better indicator.
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by heebs10 View Post
    statins are effective in reducing inflammation. many many studies have shown significant reduction of CRP levels with statin use.
    Yes, C-reactive protein and homocysteine are inflammatory processes. Cholesterol is the response to these processes. First, not all inflammation isnt necessarily a bad thing either. It is our bodies natural defense system. CRP will go up to anything that causes inflammation. It is our bodies response to stress, injury, illness, pain etc. The inflammation that raises your CVD risk is chronic systemic inflammation. Think it is important to differentiate between the two. CRP only tells us that inflammation is occurring, it does not tell us why and taking a drug that can reduce the livers production of CRP does not help us much really as the root cause of the problem has not been addressed.

Now on statins and CRP, I assume you are referring to the jupiter study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18997196/) ? There are a couple issues with the creditability to the study, one being it was funded by the owners of crestor (a popular statin) and two it was carried out by the man who holds that patent on the CRP test. To add to this, the group of people chosen for the trial were either above 50 years old (for men) and above 60 years old (for women) and had normal LDL and elevated CRP (which is pretty unusual). This study says nothing about those who are under those ages. Furthermore, even taking the above out of the equation, the total reduction for CVD risk was only around 0.9%! Overall what this really does show us is that giving statins to people with elevated CRP really doesnt do much to improve their health. Dr. Eades does a pretty good job breaking down the study here - http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/c...-disease/1853/.

Lastly, this idea that people with normal cholesterol levels should all go on statins is ridiculous and their "evidence" supports the ridiculousness of it. Overall, if people have a constant elevated CRP without the presence of illness, they should try to find out what exactly is causing their inflammation and NOT try to cover it up with a statin. A proper diet, consistent exercise, stress reduction and smart supplementation (such as fish oil) should be ones focus, NOT going on a statin. Taking a statin will not solve anything and only open doors up to new problems (yes statins come with a host of problems themselves) so why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I'm trying the 'anabolic diet' ....it's supposed to cut fat and lower cholesterol....raise hdl's and lower ldl's ....it's a high fat..red meat diet...
    ....I'm in day 3...but hope this will work......if it works I keep my test levels and my muscle mass.............

.........charley
    Any diet that cuts your carb intake will do this
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh

Yes, C-reactive protein and homocysteine are inflammatory processes. Cholesterol is the response to these processes. First, not all inflammation isnt necessarily a bad thing either. It is our bodies natural defense system. CRP will go up to anything that causes inflammation. It is our bodies response to stress, injury, illness, pain etc. The inflammation that raises your CVD risk is chronic systemic inflammation. Think it is important to differentiate between the two. CRP only tells us that inflammation is occurring, it does not tell us why and taking a drug that can reduce the livers production of CRP does not help us much really as the root cause of the problem has not been addressed.

Now on statins and CRP, I assume you are referring to the jupiter study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18997196/) ? There are a couple issues with the creditability to the study, one being it was funded by the owners of crestor (a popular statin) and two it was carried out by the man who holds that patent on the CRP test. To add to this, the group of people chosen for the trial were either above 50 years old (for men) and above 60 years old (for women) and had normal LDL and elevated CRP (which is pretty unusual). This study says nothing about those who are under those ages. Furthermore, even taking the above out of the equation, the total reduction for CVD risk was only around 0.9%! Overall what this really does show us is that giving statins to people with elevated CRP really doesnt do much to improve their health. Dr. Eades does a pretty good job breaking down the study here - http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/c...-disease/1853/.

Lastly, this idea that people with normal cholesterol levels should all go on statins is ridiculous and their "evidence" supports the ridiculousness of it. Overall, if people have a constant elevated CRP without the presence of illness, they should try to find out what exactly is causing their inflammation and NOT try to cover it up with a statin. A proper diet, consistent exercise, stress reduction and smart supplementation (such as fish oil) should be ones focus, NOT going on a statin. Taking a statin will not solve anything and only open doors up to new problems (yes statins come with a host of problems themselves) so why do it?

Any diet that cuts your carb intake will do this
    Josh is on point with this 100% agreement. I'm sure this new iforce product is great though and will benefit many who take steroids or any prohormone cycle. I might pick some up. Also would be a better alternative to statins IMO.
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE
  7. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

Quote Originally Posted by schwellington View Post
    My total cholesterol is 386 LDL 298 Hdl 11 my doc was like o fock (I was and had been on epi for 8weeks) didn't tell him of course he gave me zocor now of this could do the same thing I would love it only thing is I'm in college an I have no room in budget :/
    Reduced HDL is a common side effect of androgen use and having low HDL while taking a androgen does not necessarily mean you are at a greater risk as research has shown us the protective activity (HTGL) of HDL is still present even though the number of HDL particles has decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by WARBIRDWS6 View Post
    yep exactly.....all those types of diets recommend less than 30 grams of carbs M-F and only protein/fat basically.....then you can eat carbs as advised on the weekends, maybe all you can eat carbs or a prescribed amount each day. same shyt different author/diet name.
    Quote Originally Posted by WARBIRDWS6 View Post
    .....matter of fact, now that I think of it....I'm gonna "create" a high fat/high protein weekday diet with carbs on the weekend and market it...just gotta come up with a catchy name.....

No there are differences

Atkins, mcdonalds keto diet, dan duchanies body opus, dipasquale anabolic diet, etc all have their differences.
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Reduced HDL is a common side effect of androgen use and having low HDL while taking a androgen does not necessarily mean you are at a greater risk as research has shown us the protective activity (HTGL) of HDL is still present even though the number of HDL particles has decreased.

No there are differences

Atkins, mcdonalds keto diet, dan duchanies body opus, dipasquale anabolic diet, etc all have their differences.
    I said earlier there ARE slight differences in all of them......but facetiously said in that response they are all the same since essentially they share the same basic premise.
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    With the term cvd, are you referring to cardiovascular disease?
    I sort of lump all cardiovascular events such as cardiac and stroke incidents under CVD

If so, are you referring to the new medical literature stating that high cholesterol does not increase your risk for heart disease?
    I wouldnt day it is necessairly new information. These studies have been around for a while now, the medical community just refuses to let go of their flawed beliefs despite the lack of evidence to support them.

If so, I use to work on a cardiac floor in a very large, magnet hospital and attended one of the grand round conferences lead by some of the top cardiologists on the east coast and they were discussing this. They stated many reasons why elevated cholesterol above the normal range is bad and should be lowered, but also were providing evidence that high cholesterol above the norm didn't increase the risk of cvd. I didn't really pay attention all to well though, it was right after one of my contest preps ended, so I just went for the free food and because I got paid to sit there haha.. looking back now, I should have taken notes!
    I work at a magnet hospital as well (which magnet status doesnt mean squat IMO). I have never attended any kind of cardiovascular conference but from my experience working with cardiologist, they mostly still hold on to the idea that dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol are somehow connected, so I dont know how much weigt I would place on their opinions on cholesterol levels.

Regardless, elevated ldl or decreased hdl outside of the recommended range is never a good thing, and should be managed via diet and exercise first, then supplements, than pharmacologically.

Mike
    Decreased HDL should be a concern as the protective mechanism of HDL against CVD is pretty well understood. HDL levels and risk of CVD are connected IMO, LDL levels are not. And I agree, addressing diet and exercise should be the first step and not spending money on expensive unnecessary statin drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by broons View Post
    Pantethine, niacin, taurine, fish oil to name a few things I have taken and successfully kept things in check
    Niacin is effective because it mimics the effects of fasting and low carb diets but excessive niacin supplementation leads to other problems such as insulin resistance, high uric acid, liver issues, gout etc. Switching your diet will be just as effective without all the negative risk

Fish oil is an excellent suggestion! And I have been a fan of taurine for a long time now.

Similar Forum Threads

1. prohormones or steroids
    By mark s in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
  3. Steroids vs. Prohormones
    By LG Sciences in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM