best supplements for blood pressure?

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
as i was saying in one of my other threads, ive been trying to find a way to get my blood pressure down and was wondering what you guys recommend for prehypertension/low stage 1 hypertension as im trying to go natural.

of course ive got my sodium down, cardio up, and am trying to do what i can to reduce stress, so just supplement-wise, what do you guys like and how much? i'd like to keep it as basic as possible.

i started 'blood pressure factors' a little over a week ago and have seen some very modest benefits. its main ingredient is hawthorn berry, and ive read that it can take up to 4 weeks for that to fully 'kick in'. ive also been taking garlic and hope to start coq10 this week, but id REALLY like to get down to just a couple basic staples as i dont have much money to be buying 3-5 different supplements for it every month, so ive narrowed it down to:

some options id like to try
1. hawthorn berry at 1,200-1,500 mg a day ALONGSIDE celery seed extract at 75-150mg a day
2. olive leaf extract at 1g a day (studies showed an 11point systolic drop, 5 point diastolic)
3. bonito peptides at 1.5g a day (studies showed a 10.5 systolic drop and 7 dialsotic drop)

any experience with any of these combinations? basically, ive heard the best things of those 4 supplements at the doses mentioned, but im not really sure how they compliment each other or would work together. ive heard celery seed acts as a diuretic and sort of like a calcium channel blocker, while bonito peptides is something i just recently found out about which apparently acts as an ace inhibitor.

thanks for the help

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
also, if i were using olive leaf extract, would i see any additional benefits from adding olive oil to my diet (i rarely get any). ive heard it can help, but i cant find a definitive answer on how much should be consumed or if theres any additional benefit if already on olive leaf extract.

thanks again

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Check out out celery seed extract. Good stuff and does amazing things for my BP.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Astaxanthin is the best supplement I've found for lowering BP. It is also a powerful antioxidant with host of other health benefits.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
^^^ never heard of that, ill definitely look into it, thanks!

tnubs - yeah, im currently taking this 'blood pressure factors stuff' which i actually heard great things about... only problem, its a proprietary blend and celery seed is listed last with about 5-6 other things, and at only 1.75g per serving, im sure im not getting very much, so i went ahead and ordered some more just to take with it, maybe throw in 1 capsule as im shooting for about 150mg a day.

in hindsight, despite reading good reviews about the stuff i bought, i kind of wish i had just got hawthorn and celery seed by themselves so i know exactly how much im getting.... oh well... with my bp in the prehypertension to low-140 range, i plan on giving several different things a run before getting on meds. if i were stage 2 things might be different, but i figure it wont hurt to go a few months where i am while i test a few different things out.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
oh, and BBB, how much did you take? im reading 2-12mg per day, but thats a pretty decent range depending on what brand you get.

did you take it as a standalone (for BP) or with anything else?

thanks!

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
At the moment I'm using Myodrol until it's gone (I bought it cheap). I tyically take three tabs/day. One in the morning, one at lunch and one with supper. My BP is normally around 135/80 or in that neighborhood. With Astaxanthin it seldom gets above 120/70 unless I'm using some typ of preworkout stim. First thing in the morning it will really be low around 107/60 or there about. I have used Hawthorne berry, celery seed extract and a host of other things. Astaxanthin is the only thing that has made a noticable difference for me. I also love the wide range of other health benefits it provides and it's cheap. I would recommend playing around with the dosage. I recommeded it to a lady at work who wanted to get off of hypertensive drugs and it actually lowered her BP more than the doctor wanted.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
wow, thats pretty impressive. ill definitely give it a shot. i REALLY want to get back on PWO's as my energy levels have been terrible in the gym, but dont want to until i can get my BP back in the 120's, so this stuff sounds pretty promising, thanks for the help!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check out out celery seed extract. Good stuff and does amazing things for my BP.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
Agreed.. 75mg twice a day. Mimmics a calcium channel blocker and mild diuretic..

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
^^^ should be here tomorrow! like i was saying, i dont think theres very much in this stuff ive got (proprietary, and its listed last in the blend) so i'm going to throw in an extra 75mg.... thanks for the help!

MetaBeta

MetaBeta

Awards
Blood Pressure Success by twinlab worked much better for me than hawthorne berry/celeryseed/celtic salt etc. BPS has c-peptide....worked quickly and noticably. Highly recommend it.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Could look into cycle support and fish oil

broons

Awards
  • Established
6 grams of taurine per day for 7 days. Studies showed a significant drop. Celery seed and hawthorn did nothing for me. Could also look into ecklonia cava extract

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Celery seed and hawthorn did nothing for me either.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Celery seed and hawthorn did nothing for me either.
Did you use a celery seed extract? I have little success with just celery seed alone.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
just a heads up (if anyone cares) on my progress

so like i was saying, i began that blood pressure factors stuff 14 days ago

day 4 it was 136/71 first read.... 123/83 second
day 7 - 144/91 first read.... 131/90 second

on day 10 i received my hawthorn berry and celery seed extract, i added 550mg hawthorn to the blood pressure factors as well as 75mg celery seed.... that day it was 137/79 first read and 135/86

today... after ONLY being on celery seed at 75mg for 5 days i started feeling lightheaded at the gym and when i would stand up. i was actually worried it was from HIGH blood pressure, but after looking it up, i saw that low bp can cause dizziness upon standing.... so i came home from the gym, rested for a few minute, layed down for a few minutes and decided to take it.... welll... it was 112/72 first read and 115/67 second.

that is INCREDIBLE. my machine has never read in the 110's or 60's since i bought it. from everything i read, i was HOPING it would decrease (an average of about 140/87 before) about 15 points systolic and 7 diastolic. obviously im in disbelief, especially after only 5 days of the celery seed at only 75mg.

i highly recommend it (assuming this isnt a fluke and it will stay down, but ive been doing other things like cardio, NO salt, lots of potassium, etc... although i hope this helps keep it down because im pretty sure the potassium is giving me heartburn. the added OJ may be a cause too. i think the garlic i was taking was messing up my digestion/heartburn too, but i ditched that about a week ago and have noticed some mild improvements)

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
i guess i shouldnt have emphasized been on ONLY celery seed, as im still on the hawthorn berry and bpf stuff... what i meant was i added the celery seed extract ONLY 5 days ago

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Celery seed and hawthorne berry for blood pressurecoQ and RYR for cholesterola great stack for heart health.The ai cycle support products, while aimed at being used in conjuction with PH, are a great all-in-one for general health.Good luck with the blood pressure.id also suggest meditation, relaxation and self hypnosis tapes.While some people sneeze at the self hypnosis mp3s, ive never been as completely relaxed as using them.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
oh, no, i completely agree. ive been SO stressed out, i think that has played a huge role and ill definitely look into that!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh, no, i completely agree. ive been SO stressed out, i think that has played a huge role and ill definitely look into that!
if under stress, 500mg of l-theanine or 1000mg valarian root will do wonders.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there a quality supp out there that contains/combines hawthorne and celery seed?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed ^^^
I have white coat hypertension.. being a nurse, if i have a stuffy nose.. i feel like i have cancer so going to the doc for anything will make my resting bp go from 126/68 which is my norm average.. to like 155/92.

L-theanine saves me from getting lectured.

vicesoldier

vicesoldier

Awards
I've been eye'ing Krillpid for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol but since its out of stock might get Heart Help. Ive heard great things from those items

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
let us know how it goes. ive been hearing a lot about bonito peptides, which apparently act as kind of an ace inhibiter. peptace is on backorder at bb.com and nutraplanet doesnt carry any bonito peptides, but id like to give them a shot just to see how it goes.

i was just so amazed at how fast it started to drop after adding only 75mg of celery seed extract. ive heard hawthorn berry takes up to a month to fully 'kick in', so i figured it would take the CSE at least a week or 2, and thought the results would be much less than expected. i think im gonna cut back to 2 blood pressure factors pills rather than 3, after all, ive still got a couple weeks until the hawthorn berry fully 'kicks in' (assuming it will, i did have some previous success, sooo). but from what ive read, these products wont lower your BP to unsafe levels (ie, if you have normal BP you can benefit from these products without them lowering your BP further).

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
also, ive got a couple unopened bottles of olive leaf extract, so once i run out of the stuff im running now, ill do that alongside the bonito peptides and give a comparison.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
I just started taking hawthorne berry and it also give me a calming effect. This has a culminative effect, so lower dosages is only needed.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
had a good run towards the end with hawthorn berry, the last 4 of the 8 weeks were good. right now im just doing harder cardio and havent tried the olive leaf yet, although i am taking bragg's raw apple cider vinegar which i added towards the end of my hawthorn 'cycle' which i really think gave me the extra edge in getting in down.

it was as low as 108/68 on hawthorn berry + ACV, and has gone up slightly after being off hawthorn for several weeks, but still averages in the 120's/upper 70's, so i'm not too concerned at this point. on just acv and magnesium taurate (plus my staple of a shot of olive oil every night) its usually in the 130's my first reading (sometimes 140's if im extra nervous or anxious) and then after relaxing for 5-10 minutes it will be in the 110's or 120's. diastolic has been pretty consistent at about 76-82 not matter what reading it is.

you might consider giving acv a shot with the hawthorn. make sure its the raw kind with the 'mother' (the brownish sediment-looking stuff that collects near the bottom)... its pretty harsh, i just mix a couple tablespoons with some oj and chug it, it gets easier after a while. only about $5 at the grocery store.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would love to hear the comparative results ;)

also, ive got a couple unopened bottles of olive leaf extract, so once i run out of the stuff im running now, ill do that alongside the bonito peptides and give a comparison.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
look into BP Stabil it is a comprehensive herbal OTC formula designed by William Llewellyn

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Forskolin .... strikes again (love this stuff)
[h=2]Indian Coleus[/h]
Indian coleus, or Coleus forskohlii, is a
perennial herb native to India. Ayurvedic practitioners use it to treat heart
diseases and skin disorders. In his 2003 book, "Medical Herbalism: The Science
and Practice of Herbal Medicine," clinical herbalist David Hoffmann says that
several heart and skin diseases involve low levels of cyclic adenosine
monophosphate, or cAMP, a chemical messenger molecule that regulates
epinephrine. The active ingredient in Indian coleus is forskolin, a chemical
that increases cAMP levels and relaxes smooth muscles, making it useful for
treating high blood pressure, asthma, congestive heart failure, glaucoma and
angina. Like beta blockers, forskolin has a positive effect on your heart and
reduces intraocular pressure that causes glaucoma. Do not use this herb if you
have diabetes. Do not combine it with other heart medicine

Read more:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/481060-herbs-that-would-act-as-a-natural-beta-blocker/#ixzz1qMV1JRaI

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
Would love to hear the comparative results ;)
so my bp has gone up again for no apparent reason (well, HUGE paper coming up, finals, bday(not a bday guy) and just general anxiety/stress) and ive decided to give it a try.

ive decided not to do olive leaf extract WITH bonito peptides because, from what i understand, they both act as ace inhibitors, so instead, im going to substitute ubiquinol for bonito's

started today. BP at 140/96, 146/91, 145/93 on my pre-supplement readings (still on ACV though)

ill be doing :
500mg olive leaf extract twice a day
100mg ubiquinol a day (may increase to 200mg, but we'll see how things go, i only have 60 100mg tabs and would like to run for 8 weeks, but its pretty expensive)
1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar a day
2 blocks (not sure, i think about 40g) of lindt's 90% dark chocolate post-workout

hopefully things will workout, ill keep you updated..... ive still got some taurine and agmatine stored away, so if the numbers dont come down i may throw those in, but for now, i'll stick with the additions of OLE and ubiquinol to see how they help.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
oh, and i had Easter break last weekend and went crazy. binge drinking 3/4 days which is out of character for me, but i still don't see how that would have an effect on my BP 3 days later.

on another note... cardio hasnt seemed to help too much. my stamina has gone up over the past 6-8 weeks, so i guess my heart and lungs are working more efficiently, but no real change in blood pressure numbers which has been disheartening. im still going strong though, doing HIIT, but ive noticed my legs give out before my lungs, so i guess thats a plus with regard to my cardiovascular system

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
?? does ACV raise BP?

started today. BP at 140/96, 146/91, 145/93 on my pre-supplement readings (still on ACV though)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the posts and feeback Bill. Very interested in results.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Probably cause he would post things in the company promo section when company he reps isn't a board sponsor.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get your crap together T-BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Astaxanthin is the best supplement I've found for lowering BP. It is also a powerful antioxidant with host of other health benefits.
all of these are great. Also look into Ginger. Astaxanthin is pricey but probably one of the best antioxidants out there.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
?? does ACV raise BP?
i dont think so, the best results i had were on acv and hawthorn (they got better with the addition of acv, actually).

heres my problem... my cuff is a bit small to use when sitting (when i have to bend my arm) so i've been taking my BP lying in bed with my arm propped up a little on a pillow so that its level with my heart and so to avoid the discomfort of taking while sitting. now im starting to think that my 'good' readings may not have been so good after all, as ive read lying down can give you inaccurately low readings (although my GP said otherwise).

taking it sitting down, however, i believe has been giving me some innacurately high readings as the cuff almost completely cuts off circulation and my lower arm starts burning and hurting to the point where i almost have to stop the machine.... there were times where i compared sitting and lying and the numbers were roughly the same, but today, for example, i took is sitting and it was 140/90-ish with no pain, but laying it was 121/77.

basically im stumped as to taking it. laying down is most comfortable, but i fear gives me drastically lower readings than i should be getting. and sitting can give me any range of readings, but i have a hard time positioning my arm comfortably (keep in my im tall, so its somewhat hard to extend my arm at the angle necessary, its also uncomfortable for me to keep my arm palm-up while taking the reading)

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
all of these are great. Also look into Ginger. Astaxanthin is pricey but probably one of the best antioxidants out there.
what kind do you recommend? i thought of just getting some krill oil with asta, but the asta content is kind of low, so i was thinking of just doing a straight astaxanthin supplement but ive heard you have to get the natural kind, and i have a hard time figuring out if ____ brand i see at the drug store is the 'natural kind'.

im pretty ocd about stuff like this, so despite being on OLE (anyone know if 1g of 6% a day is still sufficient? ive started 1.5 a day since most brands are 12%+), ubiquinol, etc, ive already decided that once i run out of these products im going to try astaxanthin and curcumin if the stuff im on now doesnt work

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
Hm I have read some great things on ginger recently...brb...peppering everything with ginger. :)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bill - Get a bigger cuff prior trying/adding new supps or altering current regimen otherwise you'll bne gussiness non stop. ;)

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
Bill - Get a bigger cuff prior trying/adding new supps or altering current regimen otherwise you'll bne gussiness non stop. ;)
its an automatic machine that's attached to the cuff, so i cant really get another cuff without getting a whole new machine. im just going to take some readings laying down and some sitting down just to get an overall trend in the numbers independently.... i used to get almost identical numbers sitting and laying, im not sure what im doing differently now....

but yeah, im not adding anything new. like i said, im pretty ocd so im just planning on what to take NEXT rather than what to add now. after a couple months on this im going to try the curcumin/astaxanthin/add stevia to my ACV (benefits of stevia on BP appear to be GREAT in some initial studies, one i read said it reduced systolic by an average of 10-12 pts)/possibly psyllium/slight possibility of pycnogenol

sorry for making such long winded posts.... anyway, right now its just acv 2-4 tsp/dark chocolate 2 squares/OLE 6% 1.5g/ubiquinol 200mg
..next round will definitely include curcumin ??mg/astaxanthin 4mg/stevia 1-2servings

SN - i tend to obsess about health issues, so im making it a point to only take my BP every few days, otherwise i take it non-stop over and over again (which i think increases it, haha), so ill let you guys know over the next few weeks how things are going.

Last edited: