ALCAR with food?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
My diet does not really allow me to take supplements on a true empty stomach since I eat often throughout the day. Most places I have read say to take ALCAR on an empty stomach but would it really impair its function if I took it with food? Or would taking it 30 minutes after eating work better? I plan on taking 1 gram twice per day for fat utilization and mental benefits.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
why don't you just take it first thing in the morning, before anything else....just give it a short while before you take in any food, however long you feel comfortable with. You'd have to take it all in one dose of course. I usually do that with carnitine, taurine,arginine and lately DAA....I take them when I wake up ....then take a protein drink in 20-30 minutes later on non-WO days, or just WO afterwards.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I guess I could take 1 g ALCAR right when I wake up then eat about 20 mins later.. and could take another gram right before I workout as that is the only other time I dont have much food in me (I workout in the afternoon). Do you know if its ok to take green tea extract pills or yohimbe with food? Or maybe I should take all three of these things on an empty stomach at the same time I take the ALCAR..

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Def right when you wake up; you need to make time bro. Its tricky but possible. A lot of things I take require you to have a low amount of insulin present in the blood, no food, etc.

Mike

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Def right when you wake up; you need to make time bro. Its tricky but possible. A lot of things I take require you to have a low amount of insulin present in the blood, no food, etc.

Mike
How long should I wait after taking it to eat?

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Yeah I guess I could take 1 g ALCAR right when I wake up then eat about 20 mins later.. and could take another gram right before I workout as that is the only other time I dont have much food in me (I workout in the afternoon). Do you know if its ok to take green tea extract pills or yohimbe with food? Or maybe I should take all three of these things on an empty stomach at the same time I take the ALCAR..
One time I took ALC a short while before bedtime on an empty stomach.....worst thing I ever did....I was so alert all night I couldn't even keep my eyes closed nevermind fall asleep. I'd avoid taking it too close to bedtime, but the afternoon should be fine. I know when I'd take yohimbe, I'd take it with epehdrine and caffeine and take it all on an empty stomach. Like in ripped fuel/diet fuel by twinlab, I used to like that stuff. But I usually take all that kind of stuff, stims or aminos and other random GH/test booster type stuff on an empty stomach. So I'd take them all on an empty stomach personally.....but I suppose it varies from one person to the next as to what they prefer.

titanman31

titanman31

Awards
One time I took ALC a short while before bedtime on an empty stomach.....worst thing I ever did....I was so alert all night I couldn't even keep my eyes closed nevermind fall asleep. I'd avoid taking it too close to bedtime, but the afternoon should be fine. I know when I'd take yohimbe, I'd take it with epehdrine and caffeine and take it all on an empty stomach. Like in ripped fuel/diet fuel by twinlab, I used to like that stuff. But I usually take all that kind of stuff, stims or aminos and other random GH/test booster type stuff on an empty stomach. So I'd take them all on an empty stomach personally.....but I suppose it varies from one person to the next as to what they prefer.
I second that I was up till 5am.. very dissapointed by that but then again I also know its working lol

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
You could save money by using far less, anything over a gram isnt going too make much of a difference. It should be taken on an empty stomach, combined with RLA and some Creatine for synergy at modest doses. 500 mgs Alcar, 250 mgs RLA, 2 gr creapure, once daily can be cycled indefinately even at half those doses, you can feel and see a distinct boost.
My diet does not really allow me to take supplements on a true empty stomach since I eat often throughout the day. Most places I have read say to take ALCAR on an empty stomach but would it really impair its function if I took it with food? Or would taking it 30 minutes after eating work better? I plan on taking 1 gram twice per day for fat utilization and mental benefits.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm interested in this as well, as some alcar product labels say to take with meals, while others say simply "1-3 caps daily" .. a little Ambiguous..

For fat loss/mobilization: can anyone give a definite dosing scheme? I've been doing 500mg Pre workout, 500mg with meal, 500mg with shake.. played with the meal+shake dosing 20-30 min prior to ingesting.. No noticeable differences in effects..

uvawahoowa

Awards
I'm interested in this as well, as some alcar product labels say to take with meals, while others say simply "1-3 caps daily" .. a little Ambiguous..

For fat loss/mobilization: can anyone give a definite dosing scheme? I've been doing 500mg Pre workout, 500mg with meal, 500mg with shake.. played with the meal+shake dosing 20-30 min prior to ingesting.. No noticeable differences in effects..
I do mine 1g w my pwo and 1g 30 mins before a meal (x2 on rest days)

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do mine 1g w my pwo and 1g 30 mins before a meal (x2 on rest days)
Thanks. Yea I just popped two cAps (1g) and for economic reason I only take 3 caps daily (1 month supply) so will use last 500mg with my GDA 20-30 Pre meal

uvawahoowa

Awards
Thanks. Yea I just popped two cAps (1g) and for economic reason I only take 3 caps daily (1 month supply) so will use last 500mg with my GDA 20-30 Pre meal
I believe that is how coop recommended it for fat loss

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends. Various functions of Alcar.

Leptin
Glucose
Fat mobilization

Fat mobilizing empty stomach

Leptin resistance and glucose control. Prior to bed and with Neal, respectively

uvawahoowa

Awards
Depends. Various functions of Alcar.

Leptin
Glucose
Fat mobilization

Fat mobilizing empty stomach

Leptin resistance and glucose control. Prior to bed and with Neal, respectively
Glucose control as in increasing insulin sensitivity?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I like to dose 2g ALCAR preworkout or upon rising. Pre-bed keeps me up as it does have a mild stimulating effect (thought it is not a CNS stimulant, per se).

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like to dose 2g ALCAR preworkout or upon rising. Pre-bed keeps me up as it does have a mild stimulating effect (thought it is not a CNS stimulant, per se).
Yea 2 g is a lot to take at once IMO. I don't go over 2.5 g per day.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea 2 g is a lot to take at once IMO. I don't go over 2.5 g per day.
This is why

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15591013/

Effects of carnitine on thyroid hormone action.

AuthorsBenvenga S, et al. Show all Journal
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Nov;1033:158-67.

Affiliation
Sezione di Endocrinologia, Dipartimento Clinico Sperimentale di Medicina e Farmacologia, University of Messina School of Medicine, 98125 Messina, Italy. [email protected]

Abstract
By experiments on cells (neurons, hepatocytes, and fibroblasts) that are targets for thyroid hormones and a randomized clinical trial on iatrogenic hyperthyroidism, we validated the concept that L-carnitine is a peripheral antagonist of thyroid hormone action. In particular, L-carnitine inhibits both triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) entry into the cell nuclei. This is relevant because thyroid hormone action is mainly mediated by specific nuclear receptors. In the randomized trial, we showed that 2 and 4 grams per day of oral L-carnitine are capable of reversing hyperthyroid symptoms (and biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction) as well as preventing (or minimizing) the appearance of hyperthyroid symptoms (or biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction). It is noteworthy that some biochemical parameters (thyrotropin and urine hydroxyproline) were refractory to the L-carnitine inhibition of thyroid hormone action, while osteocalcin changed in the hyperthyroid direction, but with a beneficial end result on bone. A very recent clinical observation proved the usefulness of L-carnitine in the most serious form of hyperthyroidism: thyroid storm. Since hyperthyroidism impoverishes the tissue deposits of carnitine, there is a rationale for using L-carnitine at least in certain clinical settings.

PMID 15591013 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Full text: Blackwell Publishing
Related CitationsShow all
Usefulness of L-carnitine, a naturally occurring peripheral antagonist of thyroid hormone action, in iatrogenic hyperthyroidism: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
Carnitine is a naturally occurring inhibitor of thyroid hormone nuclear uptake.
A child with resistance to thyroid hormone without thyroid hormone receptor gene mutation: a 20-year follow-up.
Iodothyronine deiodinases and the control of plasma and tissue thyroid hormone levels in hyperthyroid tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus).
Thyroid-stimulating hormone, thyroid hormones, and bone loss.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Studies do show that while on it, it could have a peripheral effect on the thyroid, but I believe that the increased mobility of fatty acids into the mitochondrial walls could counter act the suppression?.From my little research on ALCAR, or L-Carnitine in general, the fact that carnitine failed to prevent relapses of hyperthyroidism further supports the concept that carnitine action is in the periphery and not in the thyroid gland.

I'm guessing that's a great reason why we should cycle supplements.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I've seen the data on carnitine's effects on the thyroid but I find it difficult/inaccurate to extrapolate that to healthy populations, as there is a known interaction between hyperthyroidism and endogenous carnitine stores which you would not see in your common carnitine consumer.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seems to be like a u shaped curve. Too little won't do much. And too much will lower t3

But t3 depletes carnitine levels. Maybe like you said due to increases fat oxidation.

I still keep my doses at no more the. 2-2.5 g. Just in case. Not much Indormarion on it

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've seen the data on carnitine's effects on the thyroid but I find it difficult/inaccurate to extrapolate that to healthy populations, as there is a known interaction between hyperthyroidism and endogenous carnitine stores which you would not see in your common carnitine consumer.
A solutelu agree here. Still I playboy safe. But it makes sense for normal individuals due Toni creases fatty acid oxidation