Leucine - The holy grail?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it just me or is this all you read about anymore?

On paper, it seems like an insanely invaluable supp. Moreover, even more valuable to the bodybuilder attempting to stay lean while adding (lean) mass AND when dieting to preserve muscle.

Would it be useless to add this purportedly anabolic, anti-catabolic and even fat-reducing (jury's out on that one) amino throughout the day? Perhaps 5 grams every 3-4 hours?

Also, is this one of those supps that can be too much of a good thing?

There are a bazillion studies that can be located via simple google search but here are just a few

http://www.ergo-log.com/bcaasareanticatabolic.html

http://www.ergo-log.com/leucinefat.html

http://www.ergo-log.com/bcaasmusclesoreness.html

http://www.ergo-log.com/leucineposttrainingmeal.html

http://www.ergo-log.com/bcaaskeepyouslim.html

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, thanks for giving me somethings to read.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea bro.. thanks for giving me something to read tonight at work! Honestly, ive tried extra leucine and never saw anything from it.

Mike

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:)

I defintely notice replacing my caloric protein with BCAA's.

I was just discussing this with ripped azzz AutoKal how protein amounts on this board are nuts at times.

Years ago, I lowered the protein from 275-300 grams/day to approximately 150-175/day (all food) BUT added about 40 grams pre/peri/post workout and to my dismay, got peeled and lost no discernable muscle mass. I was sold.

No, this was not solely based on the 500 less calories I was getting from the lessor amount of daily protein. I looked a little thicker/fuller and the weight I dropped was seemingly JUST bodyfat.

I am going to UP my Leucine intake and see what happens.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established

I was just discussing this with ripped azzz AutoKal how protein amounts on this board are nuts at times.

Years ago, I lowered the protein from 275-300 grams/day to approximately 150-175/day (all food) BUT added about 40 grams pre/peri/post workout and to my dismay, got peeled and lost no discernable muscle mass. I was sold.

No, this was not solely based on the 500 less calories I was getting from the lessor amount of daily protein. I looked a little thicker/fuller and the weight I dropped was seemingly JUST bodyfat.

this makes sense to me.

I've been reading up on layne nortons meal frequencies for maximum protein synthesis.

he does meals like 4-5 hours apart with leucine/bcaas at the 2 hour point between meals.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I imagine Leucine would stave off the catabolism IF needed. I say this b/c IF someone eats too much, this practice is not needed - someone will get FAT in my opinion. Conversely, if someone is eating like a bird OR dieting - the practice would seem to have its place.

All the comments/input from me in this thread is about getting or staying lean AND preserving muscle.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Definitely look at the BCAA thread doc started (dinoiii). Trust me, if you dont believe in leucine after reading it, then i dont know what will convince you. Good reading there. Dinoiii is the man.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i found taking 5g leucine before each meal helped me get to my largest adn strongest, i dosed it 30-60min before each meal... so 25-30g per day

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
This^^^^^ read article that said same take 40g leucine spread apart before each meal . I myself take 10g modern bcaa it's got around 7.5g leucine love it!!!! If nutra made a good bulk one, I'd buy the tub and do every 3-4 hrs

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I've always (well for several years running at least) taken 25-35 grams of leucine, but all at once PWO.....is stretching it out over the course of a day 5-6 separate times proven to be more effective than the same daily amount taken all at once? I figure PWO, and by itself on basically an empty stomach before any other protein is taken in, would be the most efficient way to do it.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use to use laynes protocol of meals 4-6 hrs apart with 5g bcaa between meals, pre-wo, and 10g post-wo. It worked very well. But since I started powerlifting ive since givin up on it and just struggle to eat enough food haha. I also notice no difference between 1g per lb of bw and extra protein. I notice better recovery from extra bcca tho.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've always (well for several years running at least) taken 25-35 grams of leucine, but all at once PWO.....is stretching it out over the course of a day 5-6 separate times proven to be more effective than the same daily amount taken all at once? I figure PWO, and by itself on basically an empty stomach before any other protein is taken in, would be the most efficient way to do it.
Overkill man. Spread it out.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Overkill man. Spread it out.
I just figure that after a WO, your body is looking for BCAA and perhaps its best to saturate it then....especially if you are on an empty stomach (as far as protein goes) at that time PWO....better absorption on a true empty stomach, and the need is there. non-WO days I could see the spread out protocol working, taking in 5-10 inbetween meals on as empty of a stomach as you can get.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just figure that after a WO, your body is looking for BCAA and perhaps its best to saturate it then....especially if you are on an empty stomach (as far as protein goes) at that time PWO....better absorption on a true empty stomach, and the need is there. non-WO days I could see the spread out protocol working, taking in 5-10 inbetween meals on as empty of a stomach as you can get.
Leucine as a saturation point where if you consume anymore it wont do anything more for protein synthesis. Layne found this to be between 2.5-5gs, also scivation has a study about this. Why not spread out 5gs between meals and 5g post-wo. Your logic is not scientifically backed.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Leucine as a saturation point where if you consume anymore it wont do anything more for protein synthesis. Layne found this to be between 2.5-5gs, also scivation has a study about this. Why not spread out 5gs between meals and 5g post-wo. Your logic is not scientifically backed.
I never said it was "scientifically backed"....reason I asked if there was any science behind the spread out approach. you are easily excited I have noticed the past few days. simmah down.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nutraplanet does have a kilo of L-Leucine for $36.95.....this is not good?
The only reason why Leucine supplementation is not advised is because it supposedly depletes the other 2 BCAAs. BUT, I dont think its really that much of a factor so long as you are getting enough protein with BCAAs in them.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I never said it was "scientifically backed"....reason I asked if there was any science behind the spread out approach. you are easily excited I have noticed the past few days. simmah down.
Bc you talk broscience

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
and you talk a-holescience.....so what?.....
I was just messin with you, but id suggest you look up laynes current research and his presentation he did on amino and meal timing for some info on how to better dose your aminos.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
K

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
did we ever come to a conclusion about this? maybe dosage and time to take? i take 5-10g a day and have been on an empty stomach

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
layne norton made an interesting point from a study he did....when taking inferior protein source such as wheat protein the protein synthesis may not be as good as lets say a whey protein...but when you add extra leucine you can just about or even match the protein synthesis

K

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
so should i even bother supplementing leucine if i use whey?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so should i even bother supplementing leucine if i use whey?
It is still beneficial. It jump starts your protein synthesis. layne norton did a lot of research on this, and as I recall, he suggested supplementing with leucine around 2 hrs post meal to jump start protein synthesis again.

Btw SNS sells leucine for cheap :)

M

MrBEEF

Awards

I am interested in your little test...first it was BCAA 2:1:1, then BCAA 4:1:1, then HMB....then just leucine.

My opinion is 2:1:1 is still best...that is what Whey is .... we're built like that...but that's just me....not research in my educated guess.

Keep me posted please, see if you can do it controlled somehow...logged,
-MrBEEF

K

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
hypothetically, say i were to run a little log of leucine. would i take roughly 5 grams 30 min before/ 2 hours after a meal and about 30 minutes pre workout?