Dr. Houser was recently asked on his FB page what he thought were the top 10 "must haves" - here was his response...
Joe Mista: "Hey Dana as a whole what are your top 10 (or more) favorite vitamins, minerals, etc...?"
Dr. Houser: "I thought of the first 10 things that would come to mind and this is the "off-the-top-of-my-head can't be without Top 10." There are only a couple true ergogenic aids I might include in this group / more stuff here is probably "essential" ...elements":
10. Selenium (if male, this is the equivalent to folic acid for females; but imperative for thyroid functioning and proper metabolism...quintessential and often overlooked);
9. Creatine (MCC or Creatine Orotate preferred);
8. Curcumin (anti-inflammatory/pro-testosterone, can be found in every guy's cupboard I hope...understand bioavailability is poor, so take more of it!!!!);
7. Magnesium (100s of enzymatic processes in the body);
6. L-carnitine (all forms, but LOVE LCLT/PLC/ALCAR combo);
5. Leucine (NOT all BCAAs; leucine alone is overlooked and the only sole ketogenic BCAA);
4. Beta-alanine (has supplanted creatine as the true necessity when it comes to anti-oxidant prowess and ergogenic value...its unmatched);
3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...);
2. Vitamins C and D (Vit C at 500 mg with EVERY meal through the day; even eating is an oxidative process. NO MORE than 500mg so abort pills that contain 1000 mg or whatever...they actually turn PRO-oxidant. Also, Vit C is vital at promoting collagen resynthesis. Vitamin D. What can I say? Actually, what can I not?);
1. B Complex (not flashy and can be taken with Vit C at all meals, but given its multitude of functions and co-factor offering, I wouldn't dream of going without it)."
I am curious what your Top 10 lists might look like?