Nootropics

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
What combinations do yall use for studying/chillaxing/brain and memory function? Im making my own formula for chillin and have a huge on the job test coming up. I heard the nootropics at the right combo can make you focus real well and also make you feel real relaxe. I have peracitam (sp?) Bought it from here when it was on sale. Takes very little Nd knocks me out for sleeping...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I'd look into Focus XT by SNS. It is 2 for 30 bucks on the SNS website, has all your nootropic bases covered, and the flavoring is excellent. Stack it with your piracetam or some aniracetam for good results.

madchemist

Banned
Awards
Piracetam is a glutaminergic drug which effects the acetylcholine system by modulating neuronal calcium influx and upregulating enzymes (acetylcholine transferase) and growth promoting receptors (TrkB). It has nothing to do with focus/attention, which is more related to the reticular activating system and norepinephrine responsiveness.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
as far as for studying/school purpses:

1 scooop Focus XT
2g piracetam
1 Cap SNS Hup A
1 Cap SNS Picamilon 150

for general around the house chilling, phenibut can be pretty awesome. just not something you wanna use for extended periods of time without taking a break

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Piracetam is a glutaminergic drug which effects the acetylcholine system by modulating neuronal calcium influx and upregulating enzymes (acetylcholine transferase) and growth promoting receptors (TrkB). It has nothing to do with focus/attention, which is more related to the reticular activating system and norepinephrine responsiveness.
Still good for overall cognitive function tho right? I notice my vocabulary expands when I use piracetam consistently.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Still good for overall cognitive function tho right? I notice my vocabulary expands when I use piracetam consistently.
yes it is. he was more referring to the fact that ingredients like stimulants are what actually confer focus and alertness. piracetam seems to alter my thought processes in a positive manner (great for writing papers, terrible for interviews)

J19891

J19891

Awards
I've never heard piracetam's MOA summed up that way before, all the writing on it I've come across has led me to believe that there isn't a clear consensus on it's MOA but that it's thought to effect the acetylcholine system in some way. Assuming what you say is true, couldn't piracetam have excitotoxic potential?

madchemist

Banned
Awards
I've never heard piracetam's MOA summed up that way before, all the writing on it I've come across has led me to believe that there isn't a clear consensus on it's MOA but that it's thought to effect the acetylcholine system in some way. Assuming what you say is true, couldn't piracetam have excitotoxic potential?
It's MAO has been known for quite some time. It's an allosteric activator of the NMDA receptor, which means it potentiates the receptors activation after neuronal depolarization (i.e. magnesium displacement). It doesn't directly activate the receptor, and therefore would actually be excito-protective --> which is why it has been used in the setting of TBI.

J19891

J19891

Awards
It's MAO has been known for quite some time. It's an allosteric activator of the NMDA receptor, which means it potentiates the receptors activation after neuronal depolarization (i.e. magnesium displacement). It doesn't directly activate the receptor, and therefore would actually be excito-protective --> which is why it has been used in the setting of TBI.
Yeah, I did some googling after reading your posts, my prior research sources apparently sucked. I saw someone else making the case for it being neuroprotective due to its role as an allosteric modulator, but forgive my ignorance, why does it being an allosteric activator make it neuroprotective? If it's potentiating the NMDA receptors activation, wouldn't taking it with glumatine, DAA, or an amphetamine just be a recipe to fry your neurons?

J19891

J19891

Awards
I can see you're right, there are plenty of studies showing that positive allosteric modulators of the NMDA receptor are neuroprotective, I just don't get why. It seems like positive activation of that receptor should mean more calcium ions in the cell.

madchemist

Banned
Awards
Yeah, I did some googling after reading your posts, my prior research sources apparently sucked. I saw someone else making the case for it being neuroprotective due to its role as an allosteric modulator, but forgive my ignorance, why does it being an allosteric activator make it neuroprotective? If it's potentiating the NMDA receptors activation, wouldn't taking it with glumatine, DAA, or an amphetamine just be a recipe to fry your neurons?
It's excito-protective because it regulates the ionotropic influx frequency. Excitotoxicity generally refers to a particular state, mostly after a TBI, in which the neuron is bathed with glutamate. In this setting, glutamate is free to continually activate the AMPA/NMDA receptors and allow unchecked calcium entry. Free ionized calcium activates proteases and phospholipases which destroy the soma (as well as activating apoptotic enzymes) and cause degeneration or death. This process is tempered by co-activating regulators like D-serine or glycine, along with magnesium. Piracetam effects this cascade by preventing immediate re-activation, and thereby extend the time between calcium influx. In the context of a normal brain, however, it would actually be decreasing the time to re-activation.

Context is everything.

J19891

J19891

Awards
It's excito-protective because it regulates the ionotropic influx frequency. Excitotoxicity generally refers to a particular state, mostly after a TBI, in which the neuron is bathed with glutamate. In this setting, glutamate is free to continually activate the AMPA/NMDA receptors and allow unchecked calcium entry. Free ionized calcium activates proteases and phospholipases which destroy the soma (as well as activating apoptotic enzymes) and cause degeneration or death. This process is tempered by co-activating regulators like D-serine or glycine, along with magnesium. Piracetam effects this cascade by preventing immediate re-activation, and thereby extend the time between calcium influx. In the context of a normal brain, however, it would actually be decreasing the time to re-activation.

Context is everything.
I understand all that, but what I'm asking is how is it doing that? Why is it tempering the influx of calcium ions in people with TBI, even though its a positive modulator of the NMDA receptor? Why is it preventing reactivation at all?

J19891

J19891

Awards
Wait, I think I get it. So piracetam is an allosteric modulator in that it is exerting it's effect on the cofactors (mg, D-serine, glycine), which are required along with glutamate in order for the neuron to fire. Since piracetam is increasing the cofactors, it is increasing the number of synapses while still preventing an over-accumulation of calcium inside the cell, thereby preventing excitotoxicity. Am I seeing this correctly?

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I bought some parecetam and I think its called vibracetam and Alpha gpc amazon has some sweet bulk orders. But I will have to check out the focus xt. Sounds like fun. I was trying to put together an ultimate pill with everything in it and I found a combination that sounds pretty sweet.
L tyrosine, d l phenylalanine, pentothenic acid, paba, dmae, rubidium, tocopherol, beta cerotine, manganese folic acid, copper gluconate, selenium. As an am pill. Then the pm pill will be, niacinmide, taurine, magnesium oxide, perodoxine, niacin, riboflavine, zinc beta cerotine, chromium, b12..... Seems like a good combo..... What yall think?

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
yes it is. he was more referring to the fact that ingredients like stimulants are what actually confer focus and alertness. piracetam seems to alter my thought processes in a positive manner (great for writing papers, terrible for interviews)
Why bad for interviews?

madchemist

Banned
Awards
yes it is. he was more referring to the fact that ingredients like stimulants are what actually confer focus and alertness.
Correct. The only racetam capable of directly increasing focus is phenylpiracetam.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Why bad for interviews?
I don't know; it seems to make you think a little too much to yourself, rather than thinking outloud. Totally personal experience though, you may well respond quite differently.

Correct. The only racetam capable of directly increasing focus is phenylpiracetam.
Have you ever used phenylP and was it extremely hit or miss for you?

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't know; it seems to make you think a little too much to yourself, rather than thinking outloud. Totally personal experience though, you may well respond quite differently.

I see. Thanks for your response. When I take piracetam with a stim I seem to be a better communicator so for me = good 4 interviews :)

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I am similar, I actually tend to stumble over my words a lot more when I've dosed piracetam consistently. I thought I was an anomaly in this instance lol, going to go with aniracetam for next semester and see if how I enjoy that.

madchemist

Banned
Awards
I've used in the past and it was definitely more stimulating then the other racetams, although inferior to drugs like modafinil, or methylphenidate (at the dose I was using it at).

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I've used in the past and it was definitely more stimulating then the other racetams, although inferior to drugs like modafinil, or methylphenidate (at the dose I was using it at).
In terms of stimulation, I agree. It made sleeping very difficult if taken in the evening. I was more referring on your ability to learn while on it. When I used to use it, my brain would just absorb information during some sessions, while not comprehending even the most basic problems (similar to fogginess, though a very different kind of fogginess) during other sessions.

I take alphabrain, tyrosine, and 5-htp daily.

some great stuff.

check out onnitlabs.com for the alpha brain its probably the best nootropic available, also quite pricey
Yet another stellar post from you!:saroll:

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Bump, back to my question..... Dont mean to interupt............. But would someone amswer my question on what they think....

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I bought some parecetam and I think its called vibracetam and Alpha gpc amazon has some sweet bulk orders. But I will have to check out the focus xt. Sounds like fun. I was trying to put together an ultimate pill with everything in it and I found a combination that sounds pretty sweet.
L tyrosine, d l phenylalanine, pentothenic acid, paba, dmae, rubidium, tocopherol, beta cerotine, manganese folic acid, copper gluconate, selenium. As an am pill. Then the pm pill will be, niacinmide, taurine, magnesium oxide, perodoxine, niacin, riboflavine, zinc beta cerotine, chromium, b12..... Seems like a good combo..... What yall think?
Heres what I asked....

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
In terms of stimulation, I agree. It made sleeping very difficult if taken in the evening. I was more referring on your ability to learn while on it. When I used to use it, my brain would just absorb information during some sessions, while not comprehending even the most basic problems (similar to fogginess, though a very different kind of fogginess) during other sessions.
How about you send me some, I'll take a crack at deriving a mathematical equation for turbulence and we'll make our decisions based on whether or not I get a million dollars? :D

J19891

J19891

Awards
Heres what I asked....
lol Yeah sucks to have your thread derailed. It all looks good to me, I take piracetam and pantothenic acid religiously and I've played around with the alpha gpc, but mostly I just stick with the basic choline bitartrate. Don't expect piracetam to be like that drug from the movie "Limitless", or for it to be anything like a stimulant. You honestly won't even notice it, and you're likely to think you got ripped off the first few times you take it. There's no "buzz" to it, and there really isn't a distinct feeling you get apart from perhaps somewhat lower anxiety while taking it.

After about two weeks of taking it consistently (I tend to take a bit more than the recommended dosage), think back and see if you don't feel like you've been a bit more "on your game" than usual. I know that I tend to retain information much better, recall things quicker, and I have praying mantis ninja reflexes while on it. It's effects are subtle but profound if you're introspective and know how to appreciate them.

Good luck. Understand that most of the benefits you get from cognition are going to be attributable to the alpha gpc and the piracetam. Hopefully you fall in love with that combo the way I did.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
lol Yeah sucks to have your thread derailed. It all looks good to me, I take piracetam and pantothenic acid religiously and I've played around with the alpha gpc, but mostly I just stick with the basic choline bitartrate. Don't expect piracetam to be like that drug from the movie "Limitless", or for it to be anything like a stimulant. You honestly won't even notice it, and you're likely to think you got ripped off the first few times you take it. There's no "buzz" to it, and there really isn't a distinct feeling you get apart from perhaps somewhat lower anxiety while taking it.

After about two weeks of taking it consistently (I tend to take a bit more than the recommended dosage), think back and see if you don't feel like you've been a bit more "on your game" than usual. I know that I tend to retain information much better, recall things quicker, and I have praying mantis ninja reflexes while on it. It's effects are subtle but profound if you're introspective and know how to appreciate them.

Good luck. Understand that most of the benefits you get from cognition are going to be attributable to the alpha gpc and the piracetam. Hopefully you fall in love with that combo the way I did.
Thank you. Ill try em out and should love it. My body is sensitive to stuff like that.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
How about you send me some, I'll take a crack at deriving a mathematical equation for turbulence and we'll make our decisions based on whether or not I get a million dollars? :D
I'd hate to be responsible for someone's insanity, but when I'm back at school (3 weeks) PM me your addy and I'll send you a little.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This stuff sounds amazing....

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have mentioned this product a few times --Chaotic Labz MALICE.

The mental aspect of that product is unreal. 1 pill.

stacked with EndoAMP max (PS & AGPC) + AndroDrive (dhea + preg + 7,8benzo)

-Matt

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I have mentioned this product a few times --Chaotic Labz MALICE.

The mental aspect of that product is unreal. 1 pill.

stacked with EndoAMP max (PS & AGPC) + AndroDrive (dhea + preg + 7,8benzo)

-Matt
Matt, thats your combo huh? What you get out of it. Has itbecome a staple?

ScienceGuided

Awards
  • Established
1 scoop of focus XT plus 3-4 grams of piracetam and then slowly sip a little more caff(coffee,energy drink,green tea,etc..) is probably one of if not my favorite stack for learning,studying,researching,etc..

counterspy

counterspy

Awards
One of my favorite "stacks", back in 2004-5, was to take a 1/2 teaspoon and pour the following on my tongue, chased with a swig of orange juice before going to work:

oxiracetam
centrophenoxine
bacopa monnieri
rhodiola rosea
ALCAR

Along with a couple caps of ashwagandha.

This would be on an empty stomach in the morning. On my commute in, I'd sip on a bottle of Mt. Dew Code Red. Man, I'd feel a little euphoric by the time I got in, and I'd have focus and enthusiastic energy for at least a solid 3 hours.

I'm not sure how that impacted immediate cognition, as this was after I decided I was done with school, but it was around this time that I began to have success memorizing certain things. At the time, I got myself to memorize my check card number, expiration and security code, as well as the numbers of a few local pizza places (before online ordering became vogue).

Nothing has made me more razor-sharp focused than adderall, but that's not practical. However, when I briefly used that, it was more of a short-term memory prep, as it was only used on the day of mid-terms or finals.

DS Craze, with which I have been recently acquainted, has really enabled me with a focused, can-do mindset. After I do my morning exercise, it's still working up to 4-5 hours later, and I'm keeping myself on task. I'm willing to bet that if I had something like Craze back in '98-00, I'd have actually gotten a degree.

As far as chillin' / relaxin', I am of no help. Anything I take to increase brainpower, focus, or memory, just makes me either quiet, "squinty" (like the term Booth calls the lab people on the show, 'Bones'), or maybe a little bit happy or too enthusiastic. This is great for the job, where people rely on me to come through, but in the social realm, it's of no value. I don't suddenly become a brilliant orator like all the fictional kids on Dawson's Creek, nor do I feel totally at ease or put people at ease. I'm better off just having a nice, cold stout or porter, and putting my feet up.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Matt, thats your combo huh? What you get out of it. Has itbecome a staple?
First off -- the Malice is amazing (this company needs to sponsor by the amount posts I write about it) It must be something else in it because from the ingredient list --- it just doesnt add up to the way I feel. The PEA's must be quadruple dosed!

EndoAMP is just great all around -- cortisol, memory, mood etc....

AndroDrive will just increase your mood even more with dhea and preg for your brain,

-Matt

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just finished my finals last week and I had many last night study sessions. My go to study/focus supps were: Huperzine A, Adrena G, PLCAR, and sometimes Focus XT for the additional kick.

Rad777

Awards
Can anyone shed some light on this post? Any issues with Piracetam + DAA? Thank you

J19891

J19891

Awards
This stuff sounds amazing....
It really is, IMO. It's also worth mentioning that I believe it works better for people who are already intellectual.

Again, you shouldn't expect it to alter your mood very much, which makes it hard to notice it's effects unless you're neurotic, self-analyzing and/or somewhat introverted. This is a compound that directly effects cognition for the most part, whereas something like adderall seems to effect cognition but it exerts it's influence indirectly by influencing mood.

Of course qualifying drugs in terms of mood is subjective and not exactly scientific, so it's best to just try it out first hand.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
SNS Focus XT, N2KTS, Rezolution and the prewo powerhews give me a nice focus i use half-1full dose. or just take the following:
1g ALCARE
3g TAURINE
300mg DMAE
100-200mg caffein
n some tyrosin

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

AndyMaytag

Awards
I take San dr feel good which has a good blend of nootropics, but on top of that I take choline, alcar and vinpocetine which I definitely notice a difference with. I've been here on my phone for 3 hours reading about nootropics and haven't gotten distracted yet :) a little bit of caffeine can be great too, and I always chew a little nicotine gum during tests. If your an ex smoker (like me) be careful with that one.

I'm going to add piracetam and pramiracetam next and see what that does. I'm curious about ashwagandha cut don't know enough about it to give it a try, but certain studies suggest it could make me feel awesome

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
anyone have any thoughts on pramiracetam? I have about 30G on hand just not sure about dosing it effectively.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
I've been researching a lot on nootropics and my interest is peaked. I've always been a very competitive person academically and professionally and I'm in a very extensive energy program in Texas with two majors and a minor, as well as nearly a minor in two different languages. I have noticed as I've grown older and wiser(and with quite a few dumbass moments along the way) that while blessed with an ability to ascertain solutions quickly given abstract and convoluted inputs, my thoughts are quite often too rapid and when not putting my mind to use with work they are quite often a jumbled blurry mess. An analogy that'd probably best describe it would be standing alongside a road as an aircraft passed by at mach3, a fast and incredibly efficient machine but if you were asked to describe what it looked like you would be clueless. And therein lies my dilemma. I've read about nootropics pretty extensively and I was wondering about their effect on possible moderate OCD, which I believe is the root of my problem. A gift academically but a pain in the ass in alot of aspects of my life. Which brings me to what you guys would recommend as I know there are lot of smart bro's on this forum.

Here's what I was thinking:

Alcar
Piracetam
CDPcholine
Sulbutiamine

Pretty basic stack I think. This mainly came from the nootropic guide here on AM. I was mainly curious if users of this combination that suffered from mild OCD reaped any benefit from this stack. Also, I plan on getting everything I can from Nutraplanet but it seems like they are missing two of the ingredients. I know sourcing usually isn't permitted here for products that Nutraplanet carries, but since they are out/not carrying them I didn't think it'd be unquestionable to ask.

Edit: I also seem to suffer from a mild form of social anxiety which is just annoying and pisses me off. It is completely irrational and as someone who takes pride in being logical it's a hindrance with absolutely no basis for it. I know there's no reason to have anxiety in some social situations but yet there it is. f these products could help me in this aspect alone then they'd be worth it for me.

Thanks in advance

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Edit: I also seem to suffer from a mild form of social anxiety which is just annoying and pisses me off. It is completely irrational and as someone who takes pride in being logical it's a hindrance with absolutely no basis for it. I know there's no reason to have anxiety in some social situations but yet there it is. f these products could help me in this aspect alone then they'd be worth it for me.

Thanks in advance
You sound just like me. I deal with Fortune 1000 and 500 execs on a weekly basis and need to be on top of my game at all times. I am a very logical person and I am very prepared, so if there is ever a tinge of anxiety, it drives me absolutely insane. Even the slightest anxiety eats away at logical thinking and starts to occupy my mind with thoughts that have no reason to be there.

That being said, I am very good at faking it, but recently found a stack that lets me completely dominate my meetings. I mean, to the point that I am getting complimented on my handling of CIO/CTO level people. Obviously, intense preparation is always key, but I find that if my mind is firing quickly and clearly, that is just about as important.

I've been taking:
125 mg rhodiola rosea
100 mg l-theanine
600 mg Alpha-gpc
400 mg phosphatidylserine (recently picked up some endoamp, which has 600mg Alpha-gpc and 800mg PS)

This is my magic elixir, but I'll tell you, the main difference maker was the rhodiola. It took me 5 different brands before I found two that I really like and it took about 10 days to get the full effect, but now, I can't live without it. 15 minutes after I take it, I literally feel my mind just clear up and lose any distractions about stupid things that would pop into my head to interfere with my thought process. It's like not caring, yet caring more about what you need to - if that makes any sense.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
You sound just like me. I deal with Fortune 1000 and 500 execs on a weekly basis and need to be on top of my game at all times. I am a very logical person and I am very prepared, so if there is ever a tinge of anxiety, it drives me absolutely insane. Even the slightest anxiety eats away at logical thinking and starts to occupy my mind with thoughts that have no reason to be there.

That being said, I am very good at faking it, but recently found a stack that lets me completely dominate my meetings. I mean, to the point that I am getting complimented on my handling of CIO/CTO level people. Obviously, intense preparation is always key, but I find that if my mind is firing quickly and clearly, that is just about as important.

I've been taking:
125 mg rhodiola rosea
100 mg l-theanine
600 mg Alpha-gpc
400 mg phosphatidylserine (recently picked up some endoamp, which has 600mg Alpha-gpc and 800mg PS)

This is my magic elixir, but I'll tell you, the main difference maker was the rhodiola. It took me 5 different brands before I found two that I really like and it took about 10 days to get the full effect, but now, I can't live without it. 15 minutes after I take it, I literally feel my mind just clear up and lose any distractions about stupid things that would pop into my head to interfere with my thought process. It's like not caring, yet caring more about what you need to - if that makes any sense.
What brand rosea?

blurryimage

blurryimage

Awards
  • Established
Focus XT is legit. I seem to retain an almost photographic like recall after taking it and studying

TxHomeGrown

Awards
What brand rosea?
+1 on this. That would be appreciated.

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet. Ordered Oxiracetam, Sulbutiamine, Choline Bitartrate, ALCAR, Bacopa, Phenibut, and Rhodiola. This will be interesting.