Alpha GPC vs. CDP Choline vs. Choline Citrate

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityReputation AuthorityReputation ProReputation VeteranPosting Veteran

Alpha GPC vs. CDP Choline vs. Choline Citrate

I'm in the process of putting together my "staples" supplement list for the upcoming future (sorting through some medical stuff, but once I get it figured out, I already plan on having everything lined up that I'll be taking on a daily basis). It's largely based around Dr. Houser's top ten list, with some adjustments, additions and subtractions.

Anywho, I'm trying to research between Alpha GPC, CDP Choline, and Choline Citrate. Of these three, what are your thoughts? It seems as though Alpha GPC is best, but when you're looking at price, CDP is the most expensive on a gram-for-gram basis; nearly 50 times more expensive than Choline Citrate and about 4 times the price of Alpha GPC. Again, that's on a gram-for-gram basis and has nothing to do with dosing.

All that said, what is the route that you would go? What reasons do you have for choosing one over the other? What would your dosing protocol be? Like I said, this is something I'm planning to purchase to take on a daily basis for life, essentially (I've got a list of about 25 items, though I'm not entirely set on all of them, yet).

Thanks for your input.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.08%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

wow seriously 25 items for life?
    SNS Online Representative
    Maxximal @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

Got Glycophase ...?

3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.52%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

I would probably opt for the Alpha-GPC due to the price for one, and the anecdotal reports from users saying which they prefer, that being A-GPC.

Then again, you could always simply try out both and see which you like better, which could end up being a combination of the two.
    •   

4. Official Genomyx Wizard
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.21%

CDP Choline cause PinchtheBear says so

5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.74%

I asked Doc about the cholines in that thread and he recommended CDP. So, I ended up getting some from Swanson. I found a deal for 150 caps of 250mg CDP Choline for $38. I had followed Alpha-GPC because it's heralded by the longevity / nootropic types for positive mental effects, though when I use it, I don't know if I notice anything special. Then, I also have the citrate version... so for now, I figure I'll just do the shotgun approach and use them all. My brain, waistline, and overall health will be better for it.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityReputation AuthorityReputation ProReputation VeteranPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MAxximal View Post
    wow seriously 25 items for life?
    I'm up in the air on some, still, but a rundown of the list I'm working with is:

• multi
    • fish oil
    • probiotic
    • beta alanine
    • NaR-ALA
    • ALC
    • LCLT
    • CLA
    • creatine
    • B complex
    • vitamin C
    • vitamin D
    • vitamin E
    • CoQ10
    • cucurmin & bioperine
    • NAC
    • Agmatine
    • EFAs
    • CDP Choline / Alpha GPC / Choline citrate
    • holy basil
    • EAAs
    • Leucine
    • Prop L-Carnitine

Like I said, I'm not sold on all of them, but outside of those, it would just be minimal supplementation from there on out for cutting or cycles, pre-workout, etc.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.74%

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    All that said, what is the route that you would go? What reasons do you have for choosing one over the other? What would your dosing protocol be? Like I said, this is something I'm planning to purchase to take on a daily basis for life, essentially (I've got a list of about 25 items, though I'm not entirely set on all of them, yet).
    It'd help if I actually read all the way.

What route: explained earlier. CDP on doc's recommendation; using it, citrate, phosphatidyl and Alpha-GPC.
    Why? Fat loss, overall health, nootropic effects.
    Dosages: 250-500mg CDP, 1.3g citrate, 1.6g Phosphatidyl Choline, 1/4-1/2 tsp Alpha GPC 50% powder. One time, daily. You're like, twice my size, so you could probably double what I'm doing.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%

Wanted to bump this up just to hear a few more opinions.
  9. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.14%

Quote Originally Posted by counterspy View Post
    It'd help if I actually read all the way.

What route: explained earlier. CDP on doc's recommendation; using it, citrate, phosphatidyl and Alpha-GPC.
    Why? Fat loss, overall health, nootropic effects.
    Dosages: 250-500mg CDP, 1.3g citrate, 1.6g Phosphatidyl Choline, 1/4-1/2 tsp Alpha GPC 50% powder. One time, daily. You're like, twice my size, so you could probably double what I'm doing.
    Wow that's a lot of choline, what's that run you on a monthly basis?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.74%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Wow that's a lot of choline, what's that run you on a monthly basis?
    I forgot to mention it, but I'm really just trying to get rid of the Phosphatidyl and Citrate so that I can just use CDP and GPC. This was after I killed off a really big bottle of NOW Lecithin. I should've amended my earlier reply but I was in the middle of doing work and had to switch windows. Got caught taking a few too many liberties.

The citrate that I got - this place called Freeda Vitamins - cost me $7.96 for 100 tabs @ 650 mg. I bought 3 bottles. I think the price goes up in a couple of days. If I do 2 tabs each day, I have 5 months worth for $24 or $5 per month.

The Phosphatidyl is like $13.50 for 100 softgels @ 420 mg. Problem with this is one only gets like 50mg of choline per 400mg of phosphatidyl. So, my dosage only really nets me 200mg choline for 1.6g phosphatidyl according to the bottle. ~ 1 month worth for $13.50.

The CDP Choline was a deal at Swanson. It's still going on right now. 150 caps @ 250 mg for $38. If I do one per day, then 5 months @ $38 /
    $8 per.

The Alpha GPC is at Smart Powders. I just get the 50g when needed @ $25 each. Not sure how long this lasts me, because I don't accurately measure nor to I consistently take it (like to pair it with Oxiracetam). If 1/4 tsp is a little over a gram, then we can say it's 1.5 month's worth. $17 per month.

I have no idea what the citrate or CDP powder tastes like, so if others do, I'd like to know. I think choline bitartrate powder is disgusting. Alpha GPC, by contrast, is hardly bothersome. Also, I bought some DS Craze, which I am really looking forward to using as a morning pick-me-up elixir. If it ends up working well for me, I want to try stacking it with a little oxiracetam and choline.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%

I guess I'm taking cost into account, but I'm slightly more interested in opinions on how the compounds work/which are more beneficial. I'm looking at this is a pretty much staple supplement for the long run. So, I could easily pick up something else up to run for enhanced effects here and there.

And I'm not just interested in is A better than B, better than C, but how much better?
  12. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.14%

Real helpful post, spy. Thanks.

Beast, I have no quantitative data, but in my experience AGPC at 1g of active (so 2g of 50% powder) is heaps better than plain lecithin. Choline Citrate in general just seems counterintuitive - why add citrate when the body primarily uses choline in phospholipids, which are fairly bioavailable?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

Damn @ 25 supplements.

Man, I don't think that's healthy as much as you think it is. Sounds like your fighting something mentally.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%

Saw this posted on another forum:

Quote Originally Posted by neonhypoxia
    A better question is what effects are you wanting instead of just saying you want to raise ACh levels. ACh has a wide range of effects, none of the neurotransmitters work in a very straight forward manner; as in they don't really do one specific thing.

Alpha-GPC will raise ACh levels and is pretty good at doing it. Huperzine A, which is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, works as well. Other forms of choline do not directly raise ACh levels as choline is not generally the rate limiting factor, however they all do have other effects that are useful. The choline salts for example are good for raising the levels of choline phospholipids. Personaly with piracetam I prefer the choline salts, Alpha-GPC and Huperzine A work for increasing short term memory for me, but do nothing for long term memory. Centrophenoxine on the other hand doesn't help with either, but it does help with abstract thinking. This of course could just be how I react to them.

Keep in mind that Alpha-GPC and Huperzine A both shouldn't be used for too long straight as endogenous ACh production will begin to drop because of them after a while.
  15. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

Midway, I seen a thread u made on mindandmus... and basically stating u was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. why would u take products that slows your thyroid down even more??

"Under-active thyroid (hypothyroidism): Taking L-carnitine might make symptoms of hypothyroidism worse."
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%

Quote Originally Posted by RealBigga View Post
    Midway, I seen a thread u made on mindandmus... and basically stating u was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. why would u take products that slows your thyroid down even more??

"Under-active thyroid (hypothyroidism): Taking L-carnitine might make symptoms of hypothyroidism worse."
    This is all stuff I'm looking at using once I have everything pin-pointed and essentially fixed. I'm still going through testing because it might not just be true hypothyroidism; it's likely something else or a combination of things.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

This is all stuff I'm looking at using once I have everything pin-pointed and essentially fixed. I'm still going through testing because it might not just be true hypothyroidism; it's likely something else or a combination of things.
    sounds good, hope all turns out well.
  18. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

I would add EVCO to the list as well
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.47%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

I'm up in the air on some, still, but a rundown of the list I'm working with is:

• multi
    • fish oil
    • probiotic
    • beta alanine
    • NaR-ALA
    • ALC
    • LCLT
    • CLA
    • creatine
    • B complex
    • vitamin C
    • vitamin D
    • vitamin E
    • CoQ10
    • cucurmin & bioperine
    • NAC
    • Agmatine
    • EFAs
    • CDP Choline / Alpha GPC / Choline citrate
    • holy basil
    • EAAs
    • Leucine
    • Prop L-Carnitine

Like I said, I'm not sold on all of them, but outside of those, it would just be minimal supplementation from there on out for cutting or cycles, pre-workout, etc.
    im going to say CDP Choline, its one of the best out there, not cheap though if i remember correctly.

but in your staple list i would 110% drop the agmatine as its shown to agonize the Alpha 2 Adrenoreceptor which is obviously not something someone in your position would want to do in any respect.

also id stick with only one carnitine, like ALCAR, and wouldnt dose too high as Carnitine is shown to lower T3 levels (in hyerthyroid individuals, not sure in your case though but best to keep that dosing per day under 1g for your sake.)

i would also add some magnesium to that list. its seriously super important.

also to touch on NaR-ALA- ALA has been shown to reduce conversion of sythetic t4 (synthroid) to active t3. couple this along with too much carnitine and agmatine that may help you lose a little more weight and clear up some thyroidal issues.
    Also look into calcium. a good amount 3000 mg, only if not Hyper Parathyroidism. if so there may be a phosphorus deficiency, and it may mask vitamin D deficency.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

ssbackwards, can u recommend a good mag/cal combo supplement?

is this one any good?

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 3 Capsules
    Servings per Container: 60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 700 IU 175%
    Calcium (as calcium citrate, calcium malate) 500 mg 50%
    Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 250 mg 63%
    Malic Acid (from calcium malate) 650 mg *

*Daily value not established.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.54%

I would also add 2-3 raw brazil nuts for the Selenium in them..
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.86%

Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    im going to say CDP Choline, its one of the best out there, not cheap though if i remember correctly.

but in your staple list i would 110% drop the agmatine as its shown to agonize the Alpha 2 Adrenoreceptor which is obviously not something someone in your position would want to do in any respect.

also id stick with only one carnitine, like ALCAR, and wouldnt dose too high as Carnitine is shown to lower T3 levels (in hyerthyroid individuals, not sure in your case though but best to keep that dosing per day under 1g for your sake.)

i would also add some magnesium to that list. its seriously super important.

also to touch on NaR-ALA- ALA has been shown to reduce conversion of sythetic t4 (synthroid) to active t3. couple this along with too much carnitine and agmatine that may help you lose a little more weight and clear up some thyroidal issues.
    Also look into calcium. a good amount 3000 mg, only if not Hyper Parathyroidism. if so there may be a phosphorus deficiency, and it may mask vitamin D deficency.
    Good advice as always, my friend.

CDP is certainly the most expensive (on a gram for gram basis, at least). Since I've never used a choline source, I think I may just start off with the citrate and then put in an order for the CDP, later. Again, I'm not using any of this stuff until the medical situation is resolved.

Interesting on the agmatine; I hadn't heard that at all. If that's the case, why does it get such rave reviews with people using it daily?

Good info on the carnitine; I'll be sure to keep those number monitored.

Magnesium was on my list, but when I had that checked last, it was in a good spot in range and I didn't want to put it too high. Same with calcium and everything else that I didn't list, but you'd think I should be taking.

With the NaR-ALA, I currently only take T3 and haven't used T4 since June. I'll be sure to remember that if I end up back on Synthroid, at all.
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.47%

Quote Originally Posted by RealBigga View Post
    ssbackwards, can u recommend a good mag/cal combo supplement?

is this one any good?

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 3 Capsules
    Servings per Container: 60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 700 IU 175%
    Calcium (as calcium citrate, calcium malate) 500 mg 50%
    Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 250 mg 63%
    Malic Acid (from calcium malate) 650 mg *

*Daily value not established.
    i use something called Bone Meal, its a powdered one i get from vitamin shop. I also use nature bounty Calcium D3 . think it has k2 in there, and i have seperate nature bounty magnesium.

i do 4 caps of each per day. got them at BJs pretty cheap.

big name brands is what you want to go for. D3 should be at 5000iu per day IMO, and magnesium between 500-1500mg per day ( i used 1200mg)
  24. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.47%

Good advice as always, my friend.

CDP is certainly the most expensive (on a gram for gram basis, at least). Since I've never used a choline source, I think I may just start off with the citrate and then put in an order for the CDP, later. Again, I'm not using any of this stuff until the medical situation is resolved.

Interesting on the agmatine; I hadn't heard that at all. If that's the case, why does it get such rave reviews with people using it daily?

Good info on the carnitine; I'll be sure to keep those number monitored.

Magnesium was on my list, but when I had that checked last, it was in a good spot in range and I didn't want to put it too high. Same with calcium and everything else that I didn't list, but you'd think I should be taking.

With the NaR-ALA, I currently only take T3 and haven't used T4 since June. I'll be sure to remember that if I end up back on Synthroid, at all.
    i remember in our email we spoke about specific calcium testing. there were 2 different tests that can show things that may or may not be a number to go by.

Agmatine is neuro protective i believe, i think people see such good effect is a "pump" which is never really necessary. id stop that and see how it works.
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.01%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

Choline Citrate does nothing for me except take the dull headache away from Aniracetam. CDP Choline seems to "wake up" my brain a little more, but is too expensive for what it is. Alpha GPC is hands down the best for me. Within days I notice the alertness and recall so much more and the added benefit of GH makes it an absolute winner. In the last 10 years, I've only gone without it on a handful of occasions and I notice the effects dwindling after about 5-7 days. Get back on it and life is just better.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0%

Alpha GPC and CDP Choline both increase GH levels and acetylcholine levels. Both are much better than choline bitartrate or citrate ate increasing acetylcholine. I am currently using an Alpha GPC / Prami stack and it works great. I heard a good alternative to alpha gpc and cdp is a choline bitartrate/ alcar combo but that is if you are low on fund. I am enjoying the alpha gpc check out peaknootropics.com/shop/alpha-gpc

Similar Forum Threads

1. Choline citrate & bitartrate?
    By ApOcaLyPSe_1985 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 09:30 AM
  2. PF Piracetam and Choline Citrate Stack?
    By patmurray in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
  3. Piracetam/Choline Citrate ratio
    By potofgold23 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
  4. Piracetam & Choline Citrate Stack
    By MrBigPR in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
  5. Choline Citrate