What BCAA do you guys recommend and is it necessary?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    strongman24's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    39
    Answers
    0

    What BCAA do you guys recommend and is it necessary?


    What BCAA do you guys recommend and is it necessary?

  2. Banned
    WARBIRDWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,134
    Answers
    0


    I've been using Monster Amino from Cytosport.......it's and 8:1:1 ratio so it's heavy on the Leucine and Leucine peptides. The best part is the taste, most of the BCAA formulas w/o flavoring taste like crap....and the ones with flavor have extra carbs in them if you are trying to avoid carbs. This stuff has 1 carb a scoop and still actually tastes good (at least the grape and punch flavors taste good to me). I would advocate taking a decent shot of BCAA post workout separate from your protein. I believe they absorb better and are best utilized that way. You can find much cheaper versions of course, non-name brand, not sure of the quality or the taste though. I have used Optimum Nutritions BCAA as well in the past. ON's is a 2:1:1 and is unflavored. I do not work for cytosport btw lol....
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,544
    Answers
    0


    i use either iBCAA or Body Mortar.
    •   
       

  4. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18,572
    Answers
    0


    RecoverPro or Xtend.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  5. Registered User
    Lexagon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    488
    Answers
    0


    1. RecoverPro
    2. Xtend

    Both are great I just prefer the RecoverPro!
    Journal - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/199622-here-we-go.html#post3349653
  6. Registered User
    Srt4Muscle's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    792
    Answers
    0


    ive recently been reading people think some products are being underdosed, so this worried me. i was in the same postion you are last week, after alot of research i desided to buy in bulk, 1 kilo for me lol. ill deal with the taste when i gets here but for the price of a 1 month supply i got 1000 grams of 2:1:1. i know recently we're supposed to be leaning toward 4 to 1 or 8 to 1 or even 10 to 1 but i wanted to keep it simple. granted i still cant test the potency but i feel much better about a bulk purchase in this case. so im recommending you do the same. find a bulk supplier get your own and mix it with some crystal light or something. i ordered a bunch of stuff in bulk and im just gonna try and make my own supplement. im probably not the first to try this so wish me luck lol
    Corn is to popcorn as, prohormones are to steriods...
  7. Registered User
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Answers
    0


    To answer your second part of your question, no it is not necessary. Xtend tastes good. I hear the same about RecoverPro.
  8. Registered User
    gwulbrecht72's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    56
    Answers
    0


    I've seen a lot of the talk of underdosed supplements as well, so I went and bought some Modern BCAA (it's 8:1:1 as well); mixes really well and the white blue razz tastes pretty good, and after everything that I've read/heard about the instability of glutamine, I like that it's got sustamine in it.
  9. Registered User
    evandem27's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    741
    Answers
    0


    RecoverPro -lemonade is my favorite of all time! Taste and effectiveness wise
    I pick things up... and i put em down...
  10. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by gwulbrecht72
    I've seen a lot of the talk of underdosed supplements as well, so I went and bought some Modern BCAA (it's 8:1:1 as well); mixes really well and the white blue razz tastes pretty good, and after everything that I've read/heard about the instability of glutamine, I like that it's got sustamine in it.
    grape is good too
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    USPlabsRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Answers
    1


    Bulk ModernBCAAs with sustamine, Flavored, Micronized and Free of dyes at NP at 29.99....amazing price and judging by it's quick top 10 ranking, I think the customers agree.

    direct link below

    USPowders Bulk Modern BCAA (1 kg): Discount Bulk Modern BCAA Supplements
  12. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,114
    Answers
    4


    BCAA's still have use even when your diet and protein intake is on par.

    Effects of supplemental protein on body composition and muscular strength in healthy athletic male adults

    Nutraceutical Effects of Branched-Chain Amino Acids on Skeletal Muscle

    Influence of branched-chain amino acid supple... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

    I am a fan of the Modern BCAA due to the high leucine content because leucine is the star BCAA, but taking only leucine is not necessarily just the answer. And its the only BCAA I have taken that doesnt give me "leucine mouth", I term i am starting which describes the nasty chalky taste some leucine powder leaves in your mouth
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  13. Registered User
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Answers
    0


    I purchased few tubs of modern iBCAA currently on discount. The taste is terrible and it would not be my first choice. There is another thread about the taste and seems many who purchased that batch complaining about the taste as well. You can taste the bitter powder. Xtend tastes 10x better. But since I have few tubs of this and I only use it during workouts, I will add crystal lites to it to mask the flavor.
  14. Registered User
    taman6886's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  258 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,920
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    BCAA's still have use even when your diet and protein intake is on par.

    Effects of supplemental protein on body composition and muscular strength in healthy athletic male adults

    Nutraceutical Effects of Branched-Chain Amino Acids on Skeletal Muscle

    Influence of branched-chain amino acid supple... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

    I am a fan of the Modern BCAA due to the high leucine content because leucine is the star BCAA, but taking only leucine is not necessarily just the answer. And its the only BCAA I have taken that doesnt give me "leucine mouth", I term i am starting which describes the nasty chalky taste some leucine powder leaves in your mouth
    Damn, Natty stepping up STRONG as usual!!!!!!!!!
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve

    Recoverbro
  15. Registered User
    taman6886's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  258 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,920
    Answers
    0


    This is interesting also:

    Increasing Dietary Leucine Intake Reduces Diet-Induced Obesity and Improves Glucose and Cholesterol Metabolism in Mice via Multimechanisms

    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org.../1647.abstract
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve

    Recoverbro
  16. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,579
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by USProduct-Edu View Post
    Bulk ModernBCAAs with sustamine, Flavored, Micronized and Free of dyes at NP at 29.99....amazing price and judging by it's quick top 10 ranking, I think the customers agree.

    direct link below

    USPowders Bulk Modern BCAA (1 kg): Discount Bulk Modern BCAA Supplements


    I purchased a few!. Great deal!.
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    USPlabsRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I purchased a few!. Great deal!.
    as always, thank you for the support!

    You are on my Fruit Punch list!
  18. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,579
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by USProduct-Edu View Post
    as always, thank you for the support!

    You are on my Fruit Punch list!
    I'm guessing that is a good thing!
  19. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,360
    Answers
    0


    I usually go with whatever is cheaper and you really couldn't beat AI's Black Friday sale was dirt cheap for RecoverPro, so i have a lot of RecoverPro and I still have lots of ModernBCAA's when they were on sale. I don't mind the taste of both, i hear some people complain with ModernBCAA's but oh well. Things like Xtend was to sweet for me, i used to like LG's BC+EAA cause the taste was mild.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  20. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,114
    Answers
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    I purchased few tubs of modern iBCAA currently on discount. The taste is terrible and it would not be my first choice. There is another thread about the taste and seems many who purchased that batch complaining about the taste as well. You can taste the bitter powder. Xtend tastes 10x better. But since I have few tubs of this and I only use it during workouts, I will add crystal lites to it to mask the flavor.
    What flavor? I like the blueberry.

    The unflavored + crystal light works too, if you find one of the good crystal light flavors. Some are gross
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  21. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,114
    Answers
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by taman6886 View Post
    This is interesting also:

    Increasing Dietary Leucine Intake Reduces Diet-Induced Obesity and Improves Glucose and Cholesterol Metabolism in Mice via Multimechanisms


    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org.../1647.abstract
    Thats why I like the high leucine ratios

    Surprised Modern BCAA can be sold at the cost its sold at, leucine prices are insane. I dont expect high ratio BCAAs like modern to remain the cost they are...unless the companies are fine selling them at cost.

    The kilo for $29.99 is nuts
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  22. Registered User
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    What flavor? I like the blueberry.

    The unflavored + crystal light works too, if you find one of the good crystal light flavors. Some are gross
    it is the Grape Bubble Gum that they are selling at a discount due to accidentally adding coloring agent. I added grape crystal light but it still tasted like medicine. I'll live with it, it is still better than unflavored but no where near other brands unless the discounted one also had the wrong flavoring agent and they did not tell us.
  23. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Answers
    0


    I pretty much exclusively use Body Mortar and Body Mortar Carb Free from AMS. Though I change it up to others if I see a good sale to break up monotony and add other favors. Not sure if am ready to jump on the 8:1:1 yet and stick with 4:1:1.

    Side note AMS is coming out with a new carb free version that has some added goodies such as electrolytes. Something I've been pushing for, for a long time. I also participate in a lot of endurance races so I'm huge on BCAAs and supplemental electrytes. Now I'll be able to get them in one product
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  24. Banned
    WARBIRDWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,134
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I pretty much exclusively use Body Mortar and Body Mortar Carb Free from AMS. Though I change it up to others if I see a good sale to break up monotony and add other favors. Not sure if am ready to jump on the 8:1:1 yet and stick with 4:1:1.

    Side note AMS is coming out with a new carb free version that has some added goodies such as electrolytes. Something I've been pushing for, for a long time. I also participate in a lot of endurance races so I'm huge on BCAAs and supplemental electrytes. Now I'll be able to get them in one product
    You remember those Ajinomoto Amino Vital BCAA RTD's? They were like G2, fruit flavored but low cal with some potassium in them....but they also featured a BCAA blend. Tasted good and had BCAA and electrolytes, but were expensive as hell.
  25. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0


    NutraPlanet BCAA's (1 Kilo)

    Great Value: Grape Drink Mix

    That is $42 for a kilo of grape flavored 2:1:1 BCAA's - not l-glutamine or citrulline malate...etc, etc...just BCAA's!

    Or of course this - Bulk Modern BCAA (1 kg)

    but this is in no way anything other than a discounted price for a manufacture defect. Still great!
  26. Registered User
    trinitypt3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23
    Answers
    0


    Trueprotein, can't beat the purity and price
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    USPlabsRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    NutraPlanet BCAA's (1 Kilo)

    Great Value: Grape Drink Mix

    That is $42 for a kilo of grape flavored 2:1:1 BCAA's - not l-glutamine or citrulline malate...etc, etc...just BCAA's!

    Or of course this - Bulk Modern BCAA (1 kg)

    but this is in no way anything other than a discounted price for a manufacture defect. Still great!
    8:1:1

    and leucine prices have tripled in the last 6 months....

    correct on the defect all be it a simple one and minor one...The educated consumers wins at the end of the day.
  28. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by USProduct-Edu View Post

    correct on the defect all be it a simple one and minor one...The educated consumers wins at the end of the day.
    Agreed!
  29. Banned
    sidoious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    808
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by fadi

    it is the Grape Bubble Gum that they are selling at a discount due to accidentally adding coloring agent. I added grape crystal light but it still tasted like medicine. I'll live with it, it is still better than unflavored but no where near other brands unless the discounted one also had the wrong flavoring agent and they did not tell us.
    I personally think you're too harsh on the description of the taste. If anything, it's a very weak flavor of grape, but it's not intolerable like you describe. Even if it was unflavored like Nutra's bulk aminos it's still a great deal for the blend! I respect your opinion however; although I must also respectfully disagree with it.
  30. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,579
    Answers
    0


    It does have a great grape flavor. At first I thought it was a little bitter but it grows on you. The bulk modern bcaa that is. The taste also depends on how much water you use. I have been using 40 oz for 3 level tablespoons and it tastes alright.
  31. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    USPlabsRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    it is the Grape Bubble Gum that they are selling at a discount due to accidentally adding coloring agent. I added grape crystal light but it still tasted like medicine. I'll live with it, it is still better than unflavored but no where near other brands unless the discounted one also had the wrong flavoring agent and they did not tell us.
    If you are looking for super artificial and super sweet this deal is not for that consumer...
  32. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    USPlabsRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by sidoious View Post
    I personally think you're too harsh on the description of the taste. If anything, it's a very weak flavor of grape, but it's not intolerable like you describe. Even if it was unflavored like Nutra's bulk aminos it's still a great deal for the blend! I respect your opinion however; although I must also respectfully disagree with it.
    We've improved on the flavors....wait until you try the watermelon and they Fruit punch...all natural flavor..
  33. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by USProduct-Edu

    We've improved on the flavors....wait until you try the watermelon and they Fruit punch...all natural flavor..
    cannot wait!
  34. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Answers
    8


    For those looking for a leucine product, SNS bulk leucine is very affordable and gets the job done at 1 scoop. Add it to anything, it's flavorless.
  35. Registered User
    tnubs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,248
    Answers
    0


    Im almost finished with my last bottle of xtend and them im gonna start digging into my modernBCAA from the sale. You all have me a little nervous on the flavor, tho. During the inner circle release i picked up the deal for both flavors. I dont remember either of them being bad, but there was one i really enjoyed. I just cant remember which! lol
    CELTIC LABS REP
  36. Registered User
    Srt4Muscle's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    792
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Thats why I like the high leucine ratios

    Surprised Modern BCAA can be sold at the cost its sold at, leucine prices are insane. I dont expect high ratio BCAAs like modern to remain the cost they are...unless the companies are fine selling them at cost.

    The kilo for $29.99 is nuts
    this is one of the reasons i bought bulk from somewhere else, that price just doesnt add up.
    Corn is to popcorn as, prohormones are to steriods...
  37. Registered User
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by sidoious View Post
    I personally think you're too harsh on the description of the taste. If anything, it's a very weak flavor of grape, but it's not intolerable like you describe. Even if it was unflavored like Nutra's bulk aminos it's still a great deal for the blend! I respect your opinion however; although I must also respectfully disagree with it.
    I'm going by my taste, and agreed people will have different opinions.
  38. Banned
    sidoious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    808
    Answers
    0


    Big fan of the bulk ModernBcaa, taste isn't as overpoweringly sweet or cloying as some of the other mixes out there! Regular ModernBcaa is just right!
  39. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,114
    Answers
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by Srt4Muscle View Post
    this is one of the reasons i bought bulk from somewhere else, that price just doesnt add up.
    I meant surprisingly cheap
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  40. Registered User
    Srt4Muscle's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    792
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    I meant surprisingly cheap
    well what you were saying was 29.99 sounds pretty damn close to cost at that ratio, last time i heard companies dont just sell their products at cost. especially when they know they have a good product. now with a product defect then fine, but thats a special circumstance. thats all im saying
    Corn is to popcorn as, prohormones are to steriods...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. what do you guys recommend?
    By mweaver84 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
  2. What BCAA's would you recommend?
    By jimmbow in forum Supplements
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
  4. Can someone recommend BCAA
    By robjustice in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM
  5. What do you guys recommend
    By right_guard in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in