How we all may benefit from probiotic supplementation

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My review of the functions of the natural microbes in the Gi tract, what happens when they are dysfunctional (you'd be surprised all the negativities - systemic inflammation and depression as examples), what will cause them to go dysfunctional, and how Gut health supplementation will help improve performance and body compositiion.

http://genomyx.com/downloads/Gut_Health[1].pdf

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Printing to read now

Quick question: would someone who avoids grains and eats Greek yogurt pretty regularly benefit from using a probiotic supplement?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
subd to read later.... been interested in this being a celiac.... im 90% certain i have a major absorption problem

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
subd to read later.... been interested in this being a celiac.... im 90% certain i have a major absorption problem
Oh man swollen87 that is ROUGH. I have gluten intolerance, I'm pretty sure i'm not what the medical association would consider "celiac" but I feel you're pain. Any form of flour intake, even in the slightest means my body inflames, and my appetite goes to hell, and bleedy bowels... Sigh...
Out of curiosity, have you experienced any problems with "absorption" of supplements? Like have you noticed reactions when taking in certain aminos? I find bulk DAA, which i could take before my bulk which pretty much began this entire down hill spiral, now when ever I take it I will be sitting on the toilet for hours... wondering if the DAA is somehow getting "out"? Or something...? by the means of leaky gut.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Oh man swollen87 that is ROUGH. I have gluten intolerance, I'm pretty sure i'm not what the medical association would consider "celiac" but I feel you're pain. Any form of flour intake, even in the slightest means my body inflames, and my appetite goes to hell, and bleedy bowels... Sigh...
Out of curiosity, have you experienced any problems with "absorption" of supplements? Like have you noticed reactions when taking in certain aminos? I find bulk DAA, which i could take before my bulk which pretty much began this entire down hill spiral, now when ever I take it I will be sitting on the toilet for hours... wondering if the DAA is somehow getting "out"? Or something...? by the means of leaky gut.
your "intolerance" seems a little worse than you may think.... go get checked out

if i eat 1/8th of a tsp of flour i will sh8t straight brownwater for about 48 hours

daa makes me poo a little too.... but theres no gluten in that.... try sipping it over the course of the day with some extend.... it seems to minimize the squirts for me... im actually taking daa right now, and i notice more poopys.... sloppier mushy poopys...

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
your "intolerance" seems a little worse than you may think.... go get checked out

if i eat 1/8th of a tsp of flour i will sh8t straight brownwater for about 48 hours

daa makes me poo a little too.... but theres no gluten in that.... try sipping it over the course of the day with some extend.... it seems to minimize the squirts for me... im actually taking daa right now, and i notice more poopys.... sloppier mushy poopys...
I might, when I go back home for my wedding... I live in Japan now.. and you wouldn't believe the amount of crap I have to jump over just to get some decent blood work done... I keep thinking to myself I should just OD on something and end up in the hospital for that, that way they'll run ALL the tests. If I just go and say "I am feeling ill, can I have some tests?" They usually reply, "Do you have a fever?". I then tell them I have digestive issues. They tell me I'm not drinking enough water, and have constipation, dierrhea. They actually tell me to eat more rice, bread and veggies.... Japan also has NO knowledge of gluten. AND they use flour to thicken EVERYTHING. I pretty sure that's what aggrevated it. back home I ate flour maybe once a year... when id' be forced to eat some kind of pie or something at christmas... Other than that we use potato starch in most stews, and barely used flour to batter anything... my mom hated frying period lol.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My review of the functions of the natural microbes in the Gi tract, what happens when they are dysfunctional (you'd be surprised all the negativities - systemic inflammation and depression as examples), what will cause them to go dysfunctional, and how probiotic supplementation will help improve performance and body compositiion.

http://genomyx.com/downloads/Gut_Health[1].pdf

Br
Wow, very in depth article, nicely put together too. I've tried RPN Gut Health back in the day and also Myogenix Pro Fiber which also contains probiotics and like them both.

Printing to read now

Quick question: would someone who avoids grains and eats Greek yogurt pretty regularly benefit from using a probiotic supplement?
I would assume it would due to the inclusion of different strains of bacteria but that's merely my own speculation.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Printing to read now

I don't believe the strains of bacteria in greek yogurt survive the stomach and upper GI. In which case, their DNA will still be of benefit in the colon, but they will not colonize and contribute toward a stronger commensal microflora, so a probio supplement should provide added benefit.

Br

J

JeremyT

Awards
Very interesting read. I have only begun to realize what the gut means in terms of the health of the rest of the body. I can tell how my gut 'feels' by how my sinuses feel and how congested they are. Its a really interesting relationship. Just curious though, how would you suggest supplementing probiotics to a person that eats no yogurt or dairy? Thanks!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's where more research needs to be done. How much and long do we need to take probiotics for optimal colonization to occur?

I would suggest 1800 mg per day for a 3-6 month period, then a maintenance dose of 600 mg once every day or so.

Br

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
good info.

J

JeremyT

Awards
Here's where more research needs to be done. How much and long do we need to take probiotics for optimal colonization to occur?

I would suggest 1800 mg per day for a 3-6 month period, then a maintenance dose of 600 mg once every day or so.

Br
Okay sounds good. But I'm more curious to see like what form of supplementation do you suggest. Would it be something like http://www.biokplus.com/en-ca/biok-probiotics/strong-probiotic-capsules (although im not sure if im allowed to post this link, oh well) Which one do you take?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see. The product I reviewed, and that I recommend, is Gut Health by Genomyx.

http://www.genomyx.com/guthealth.php

Page 8 of the review talks about what probiotics are suggested to do. Page 9 - 13 discusses the research that has been conducted on the probiotic strains in gut health, and what they may do for you.

Page 13-14 is the summary.

Pages 15 - 18 are diagrams that illustrate the concepts.

Page 19-33 are the references (yes....I like to be very thorough when I write).

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't believe the strains of bacteria in greek yogurt survive the stomach and upper GI. In which case, their DNA will still be of benefit in the colon, but they will not colonize and contribute toward a stronger commensal microflora, so a probio supplement should provide added benefit.

Br
Thank you

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Question, my girlfriend suffers an over acidic stomach(no clue what the technical term would be here) and all I understand from it is she has to avoid certain foods and drinks and overall her mood varies greatly upon her stomach I suspect. Shes right now suffering from always being hungry but as soon as she goes to eat she gets this odd pain in her stomach and loses appetite. I assume Gut Health would help here but if her stomach is more often at a lower pH how effective would loading be for Gut Health or long term use period? I wish I knew what the problem was but no doctor has been able to diagnose the cause or anything else really. I realize this is a vague question lol, thanks for any assistance, again awesome pdf man I need to read more of that.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good question. There's some research that suggests probiotics may reduce stress-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats by reducing inflammation and elastase production. Its not GERD or anything similar?

Although the strains in gut health survive the low pH of the stomach, I might suggest she take a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with it to neutralize acid while the stomach empties the probiotic into the intestines.

Br

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Good question. There's some research that suggests probiotics may reduce stress-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats by reducing inflammation and elastase production. Its not GERD or anything similar?

Although the strains in gut health survive the low pH of the stomach, I might suggest she take a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with it to neutralize acid while the stomach empties the probiotic into the intestines.

Br
Awesome man thanks, I'll ask her again but she never remembers and neither do her parents. I doubt they themselves ever got a real answer from any doctor. Its pretty random though and not a common indigestion type thing but often seems to be like actual pain not discomfort. Sometimes she can be totally ok and out eat me(and I eat a lot at the OG) when we go out to olive garden but other times she can barely eat the salad.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I have been trying to research the effects of probiotics Reducing the likelihood of getting sick. Do you have any opinions on this?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been trying to research the effects of probiotics Reducing the likelihood of getting sick. Do you have any opinions on this?
Your intestine and lungs represents the major pathway for bacteria and virus entry into the body. Probiotics do wonder for increasing immunity. They increase intestinal integrity and immune defense in the intestine. They also increase responsiveness of immune cells to pathogens both in the gut and in the blood. And its pretty supported pretty solidly.

As for the lungs, you probably dont want to walk around with a gas mask on. Or do you?

Br

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for a later read. Thanks for sharing.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
IMO, rotating the various strains/brands of probiotics is the way to go. The gut has over 400 species of bacteria and fungi in it to help it function, provide immune system and nuerotransmitter components. Exactly what represents the optimal balance of these strains is largely unknown as is the function of many of the strains (ie. beneficial, detrimental, or neutral).

Supplementation with pro and prebiotics is important for any leaky gut condition, IMO. Large doses of fish oil are also beneficial for reduction of inflammation along the digestive tract. "Sports" supplementation while inflamed is generally worthless in lieu of improper digestion with many seemingly beneficial supplements actually worsening the condition.

How do I know? My wife suffered with ulcerative colitis for 7 years before eventually submitting to J-pouch surgery.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Your intestine and lungs represents the major pathway for bacteria and virus entry into the body. Probiotics do wonder for increasing immunity. They increase intestinal integrity and immune defense in the intestine. They also increase responsiveness of immune cells to pathogens both in the gut and in the blood. And its pretty supported pretty solidly.

As for the lungs, you probably dont want to walk around with a gas mask on. Or do you?

Br
No not really. But thank you for the information!

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Do they ship cold?

I see. The product I reviewed, and that I recommend, is Gut Health by Genomyx.

http://www.genomyx.com/guthealth.php

Page 8 of the review talks about what probiotics are suggested to do. Page 9 - 13 discusses the research that has been conducted on the probiotic strains in gut health, and what they may do for you.

Page 13-14 is the summary.

Pages 15 - 18 are diagrams that illustrate the concepts.

Page 19-33 are the references (yes....I like to be very thorough when I write).

Br

A

Austin118

Awards
  • Established
Fantastic read! I've been a non responder to alot of supps and I'm pretty sure it's cause my gut health is in pretty bad shape! Suffered from IBS symptoms for
The last 4 years, didn't even realize that having a good gut also was involved in estrogen metabolism and clearing it out of your system! took Genomyx gut health which was great now taking Udo Super 8 with some digestive enzymes makes a world of difference!