Alternatives to creatine

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
Been starting to lift weights for a few months now.
Started with mostly machines, and just now starting to do more core workouts, freeweights, +/- some TRX.

I weight about 175 and height 5'9", and so far, only supplementing protein up to about 140-150grams (I know I need more). BF% probably about 25%

I was taking creatine, but fairly confident it is the creatine that continues to give me stomach problems and diarrhea, and not the optimum nutrition gold whey supplement.

If I were to stop creatine, or there any other "core" supplements I should consider?
Not looking for steroid supplementation, just a good complement to basic protein.
Also, would be interested in any natural supplements to give a boost at the gym that don't rely on caffeine.

Thanks

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i rarely take creatine. i have taken it but it is not what i consider a staple for myself

to hit some of your other points. 1)i hope you are eating some protein. shakes are a supplement for what you cant chew down 2)i dont use stims at all. you are pretty fat(no offense) keep at it and as that weight starts to fall off youll notice more energy 3)you gotta, when you feel ready start lifting heavy as$ weights. more muscle to help burn off more fat 4)as for other supps you are doing fine with the protein. id add a solid multi, krill/fish oil and bcaas. there are a lot of great products out there. research test boosters, nutrient partitioners, gh supps. the choices are really limitless but youll get a feel through researching what people really like and what companies are the trusted favs. my fav supp companies, and you can 100% trust you are getting what you pay for from them are, annabolic innovations sports(ai sports), primordial performance and applied nutricuticals. genomyx is also quickly becoming one of my favs. but thats just my list as someone else may have an entirely different list. again research and youll draw your own conclusions but you wont know for sure until you start sampling the goodies

alewisdvm

Awards
Much appreciated.
25% was a guess, but I can pinch about 3/4" on waist line.

Yes, using optimum nutrition gold. 2 shakes a day. Try to take one between breakfast and lunch, and at least 1 after workout.
Eat solid 3 meals, but probably only getting about 25-30grams protein each meal.

Take krill oil twice daily.

Was taking creatine, but believe it's really messing up digestive tract.

Plan to start a green food supplement called "Green Vibrance"

I know ON whey has BCAA's in it...would you recommend an additional BCAA supplement as well?

Thanks for your help

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
kre alkalyn works for me if not i think bcaa can replace creatine they are very helpful

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Much appreciated.
25% was a guess, but I can pinch about 3/4" on waist line.

Yes, using optimum nutrition gold. 2 shakes a day. Try to take one between breakfast and lunch, and at least 1 after workout.
Eat solid 3 meals, but probably only getting about 25-30grams protein each meal.

Take krill oil twice daily.

Was taking creatine, but believe it's really messing up digestive tract.

Plan to start a green food supplement called "Green Vibrance"

I know ON whey has BCAA's in it...would you recommend an additional BCAA supplement as well?

Thanks for your help
if you really want to use creatine you can try increasing your water intake considerably

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
there are many different types of creatines, some may effect your stomach more than others. Also getting enough fiber and vegetables can make a huge difference with digestive problems.

alewisdvm

Awards
Understood. I was drinking tons of water all day. It could still be the protein doing a number on me, but the timing for worst intestinal distress corresponds to the creatine use.

alewisdvm

Awards
darsh89.
Yes, about the vegetables. Definitely intend to increase intake, as well as, got what appears to be an excellent recommendation for starting a whole green food supplement called "Green Vibrance"

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
kre alkalyn is the alternative of many. I personally am no expert with it as I never use it.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
darsh89.
Yes, about the vegetables. Definitely intend to increase intake, as well as, got what appears to be an excellent recommendation for starting a whole green food supplement called "Green Vibrance"
make sure you get enough whole grains as well. Also if your currently taking creatine monohydrate maybe try kre alkalyn. Every time i take monohydrate i dump twice within the next hour, but with kre alkalyn i dont experience the same problem.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
Please clarify what kind of creatine... Not brand.. But is it creatine monohydrate?

There is tons of creatine variants that won't cause those effects... Creatine monohydrate does have the most studies backing it, showing its efficiency but does come with its own drawbacks as well.

alewisdvm

Awards
Yes, it was creatine monohydrate. Max Muscle creatine, HPLC tested pure, for whatever that may account for...

Is it possible that if I have had the same jug for several months, that oxidation or any problems with it just getting old could have been a factor?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
Yes, it was creatine monohydrate. Max Muscle creatine, HPLC tested pure, for whatever that may account for...

Is it possible that if I have had the same jug for several months, that oxidation or any problems with it just getting old could have been a factor?
doubtful

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards

No your reaction is a common one for many people.

Ive found it depends what I take it with or what else in is my diet for that day can make a difference to how it effects me.

It doesn't do well in highly acidic environments especially around citric acid. I took creatine waaaay back when I first started working out with apple juice or grape juice, never had any problems... Took it with orange juice once and I literally speed it all over my front porch on a matter of minutes. Other times depending on what I eat it makes me blow out the other way.

Personally I would just start looking into the alternatives, plenty are out there many are available on bulk right on the websites store NutraPlanet.com