Best post workout/muscle gainer?

cg123

Awards
After my workouts I have just been taking pro complex protein and three caps of beast creature creatine but I heard from people that dark matter by Mhp is great and puts on muscle. What would u suggest?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Food. People get far too hung up on ratios and sources without seeing the big picture. The best thing for any situation is going to be whole foods.

cg123

Awards
Yes obviously diet is important but thats not my question. I was wondering if dark matter will be better to take right after a workout and then just take the pro complex an hour after?

sniper80

sniper80

Awards
I use to use dark matter after workin out followed by pro complex and I made the best gains ever. Even got accused of using steroids. But I was eating alot and focusing on heavy compound lifts primarily weighted chins and dips and deadlifts

cg123

Awards
Should I take my creatine with it after I work out or will it counteract with the dark matter cause it say to wait for a protein shake an hour after

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best muscle gainer is food. best pre workout, IMO are superpump max and Lit up

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is what I've been doing post workout for the last 6-8 months and I've found it to work pretty good. After my last rep I slam 10 grams BCAAs and 50 grams waxi maze (carbs) then 20 mins later I down 50 grams whey protein. I eat a whole food meal approximately 1 hours later.

You can take your creatine anytime of day. It really doesn't matter.

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
This is what I've been doing post workout for the last 6-8 months and I've found it to work pretty good. After my last rep I slam 10 grams BCAAs and 50 grams waxi maze (carbs) then 20 mins later I down 50 grams whey protein. I eat a whole food meal approximately 1 hours later.
I do almost the exact same thing. 10 grams of BCAA's and EAA's with 30 grams waxy maize immediately post-workout. Then about 25 minutes later I do 40 grams of protein and about 55 grams of carbs from oatmeal.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
For pr-workout try lit up, ASGT by lg, need2amp, or white flood(haven't tried the new formula yet though).

Post work out super lean beef 96/4-97/3 with rice or sweet potato, or spaghetti

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Oh also if you want to put on some good size use recompadrol with need2slin before you take in your post workout carb.

Post workout your insulin level is low so those nutrition shufflers can help your body shuffle the carbs to your muscle and liver...were is where you want them to go.

Do 2caps of RCD and 1 cap of need 2 slin

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do almost the exact same thing. 10 grams of BCAA's and EAA's with 30 grams waxy maize immediately post-workout. Then about 25 minutes later I do 40 grams of protein and about 55 grams of carbs from oatmeal.
What do they say about great minds??? ;)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You can take your creatine anytime of day. It really doesn't matter.

X3!!

When i am on my last set i take a couple caps neovar and immediately after the workout it is BCAAs plus WMS and about hour later normal meal (chicken, potatoes, EVOO & EVCO)

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
Ive been happy with muscle replenisher. it has 35g whey iso, 22g wazy maize, 12g bcaa, 8g glutamine, 3g creatine mono, and some other stuff that i dont remember off hand. I also eat a meal with 30-40g pro, 40-70g slow carbs about 40 min later.

No question that food is king but post WO liquid cals get absorbed so much faster

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you guys all endurance athletes that you need to instantly replenish?

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i have 30mg whey with a banana mixed in. about an hour later a whole meal. everyone does it differently

Bravoboy

Bravoboy

Awards
  • Established
i have 30mg whey with a banana mixed in. about an hour later a whole meal. everyone does it differently
I eat a banana too immediately after. I may throw in 1/2 a granola bar. Then 30 min later kill a protein shake with close to 45 gms. Then eat breakfast typically 1.5 hours later

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Food. People get far too hung up on ratios and sources without seeing the big picture. The best thing for any situation is going to be whole foods.
This!! But ofc, it can be very convinient with a protein shake... But if you have time and the option to chose food, go for it!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I flip between muscle replenisher and Core PWO after my workouts....then 30 mins after that follow up with a low fat whole food meal

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What? Lifting weights is catabolic so YES I need to instantly replenish...
It is slightly catabolic, but this whole idea that lifting completely depletes glycogen stores is absurd. For one, glycogen synthesis is a constantly ongoing process and having a high-GI meals immediately after is not necessary (again, unless you're an endurance athlete).

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is slightly catabolic, but this whole idea that lifting completely depletes glycogen stores is absurd. For one, glycogen synthesis is a constantly ongoing process and having a high-GI meals immediately after is not necessary (again, unless you're an endurance athlete).
We do lots of things that aren't really "necessary". The real question I think is, does it hurt or hinder progress? If not then why condemn or ridicule something? (not saying you did, just in general) I take WMS with my BCAAs post workout mainly because of convenience and because I take a couple caps of neovar prior to that shake. I haven't noticed any less fat loss overall and my progression with strength gains is pretty steady. Yea glycogen synthesis is an ongoing process and post workout carbs aren't necessarily "needed" but from my experience they haven't hurt my progress so why stop? Just because something isn't "necessary" doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't be done IMO

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you're saying for a bodybuilder/weight lifter there is little to no benefit by drinking carbs and BCAA post workout?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We do lots of things that aren't really "necessary". The real question I think is, does it hurt or hinder progress? If not then why condemn or ridicule something? (not saying you did, just in general) I take WMS with my BCAAs post workout mainly because of convenience and because I take a couple caps of neovar prior to that shake. I haven't noticed any less fat loss overall and my progression with strength gains is pretty steady. Yea glycogen synthesis is an ongoing process and post workout carbs aren't necessarily "needed" but from my experience they haven't hurt my progress so why stop? Just because something isn't "necessary" doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't be done IMO
That's being a little overly picky about the adjectives, but this whole phenomena of post-training carbs is all taken out of context of research done on fasted, endurance athletes.

So you're saying for a bodybuilder/weight lifter there is little to no benefit by drinking carbs and BCAA post workout?
Without a doubt, keep the BCAA, but, unless you're following some Bulgarian Oly programs, eating some fruit will be more than enough.

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
ehh i just take pro complex+glutamine and my bcaas right after my workouts ive been getting some good gains as in size

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm almost out of WMS so I'm gonna take a large banana with my 10 grams bcAa for a while a see how I like it.

Rodja, is any one fruit better then another post workout or does it not matter?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm almost out of WMS so I'm gonna take a large banana with my 10 grams bcAa for a while a see how I like it.

Rodja, is any one fruit better then another post workout or does it not matter?
Without overly splitting hairs, not really. There are some choices that are portable and convenient (e.g. raisins, bananas), but I don't get too concerned about the fruit choice.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's being a little overly picky about the adjectives, but this whole phenomena of post-training carbs is all taken out of context of research done on fasted, endurance athletes.

What can I say, I get picky sometimes :D

I just came from a thread where someone was claiming a low carb diet will crush your metabolism so I might have been a TAD over picky with my response here but the point still remains, carb or no carb post workout, it really isn't a huge difference either way IMO. IGF-1 will stimulate protein synthesis just as well if one decides to go without the carbs (which I occasionally do) its all really the individuals choice or preference. I sometimes go an entire day without food and only aminos after a workout depending on the day put usually like to eat me some red potatoes (mainly because they are effin' delicious fried in EVCO)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What can I say, I get picky sometimes :D

I just came from a thread where someone was claiming a low carb diet will crush your metabolism so I might have been a TAD over picky with my response here but the point still remains, carb or no carb post workout, it really isn't a huge difference either way IMO. IGF-1 will stimulate protein synthesis just as well if one decides to go without the carbs (which I occasionally do) its all really the individuals choice or preference. I sometimes go an entire day without food and only aminos after a workout depending on the day put usually like to eat me some red potatoes (mainly because they are effin' delicious fried in EVCO)
I have 2lbs of EVCO coming in today. I'm bringing back my old tradition of Stir Fry-day.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
me I have been testing out Gear.... Me like

I am crazy!
Gear:
ISO-ology =5g of Leucin
BcAA

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What? Lifting weights is catabolic so YES I need to instantly replenish...
Sorry i just thought that the "instantly replenish" myth went out years ago.

Edit: Let me be clear though...

Everyone does it differently. If something works for you, then use it. If taking casein before bed is something you want to do, then go for it. Even though we've now proven that you don't go catabolic over night. Science has also proven that a typical bodybuilding bout does not deplete glycogen stores to the amount at which you need instant replenishment. But if taking BCAAs and a recovery protein drink right after you finish your last set seems to help gains, then by all means go for it.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry i just thought that the "instantly replenish" myth went out years ago.

Edit: Let me be clear though...

Everyone does it differently. If something works for you, then use it. If taking casein before bed is something you want to do, then go for it. Even though we've now proven that you don't go catabolic over night. Science has also proven that a typical bodybuilding bout does not deplete glycogen stores to the amount at which you need instant replenishment. But if taking BCAAs and a recovery protein drink right after you finish your last set seems to help gains, then by all means go for it.
You are over looking the effect insulin has post workout, specifically increasing protein synthesis while also decrease protein breakdown. Replenishing glycogen stores is only one aspect to the idea of a post workout drink. But again IGF-1 will also stimulate protein synthesis so it really just boils down to a preference of the individual.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have 2lbs of EVCO coming in today. I'm bringing back my old tradition of Stir Fry-day.
Ordered it online? I never thought to order my EVCO online hmmm... Also PM me some stir fry ideas bud!! I have experimented with ideas myself and had to eat some disgusting creations lol.. Recently I started picking up plantains from a local Spanish store and frying them up in EVCO and they are delicious!! Highly recommend them!

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are over looking the effect insulin has post workout, specifically increasing protein synthesis while also decrease protein breakdown. Replenishing glycogen stores is only one aspect to the idea of a post workout drink. But again IGF-1 will also stimulate protein synthesis so it really just boils down to a preference of the individual.
You're right, but i can use a protein shake to achieve the same result as if i were to use quick carbs.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're right, but i can use a protein shake to achieve the same result as if i were to use quick carbs.
A zero to low carb protein shake mixed in water is not going to spike insulin no where near as effective or to the same amount as carbs can. Yes protein will release insulin but it also causes a glucagon release. I think last I read was whey mixed in water resulted in a some what balanced insulin-glucagon release which would be pretty neutral overall.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To play devil's advocate, it is often viewed as what is necessary rather than what we can get away with.

For example, to replenish glycogen I could get away with no carbs, to improve MPS I could use just whey, or aminos, or leucine or whatever you want to do.

or...

I am trying to build muscle and can have a shake with 150g of carbs and 50g of protein and not gain fat. If I am not gaining fat and I am trying to build muscle then I will happily take the calories and I will happily do it straight away. I love the science behind all aspects of weight training but just because I can get away with a few grams of aminos to spike MPS doesn't mean I want to take that route when I have the option of adding to my total caloric intake.

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
To play devil's advocate, it is often viewed as what is necessary rather than what we can get away with.

For example, to replenish glycogen I could get away with no carbs, to improve MPS I could use just whey, or aminos, or leucine or whatever you want to do.

or...

I am trying to build muscle and can have a shake with 150g of carbs and 50g of protein and not gain fat. If I am not gaining fat and I am trying to build muscle then I will happily take the calories and I will happily do it straight away. I love the science behind all aspects of weight training but just because I can get away with a few grams of aminos to spike MPS doesn't mean I want to take that route when I have the option of adding to my total caloric intake.
Well said bro!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Put very nicely BDCC! Pretty much the point I was tryna make. One way isn't necessarily superior to the other

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ordered it online? I never thought to order my EVCO online hmmm... Also PM me some stir fry ideas bud!! I have experimented with ideas myself and had to eat some disgusting creations lol.. Recently I started picking up plantains from a local Spanish store and frying them up in EVCO and they are delicious!! Highly recommend them!
I get them off of Amazon for about $6 per 16oz.

Any recommendations of how to fry them? I tried to fry a banana in EVCO and it didn't work as planned.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get them off of Amazon for about $6 per 16oz.

Any recommendations of how to fry them? I tried to fry a banana in EVCO and it didn't work as planned.
Were they plantains (green bananas)? If they are super green you slice them in big chunks, squish them and just pan fry in the EVCO. If the plantain is black & yellow and soft I slice thin pieces on am angle and again pan fry them. When the plantain is green they come out like firm with a slight crunch. Just sprinkle some sea salt and enjoy. If you want the sweeter ones than you have to let the banana sit until it starts to turn black and yellow.

I use them as a side pretty often, mainly the firmer ones. I used to deep fry then in canola oil before and recently switch to pan frying them in the EVCO. SSbackwards gave me the idea recently. I don't know why I never thought of frying them in EVCO before.