Best post workout/muscle gainer?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    What? Lifting weights is catabolic so YES I need to instantly replenish...
    Sorry i just thought that the "instantly replenish" myth went out years ago.

    Edit: Let me be clear though...

    Everyone does it differently. If something works for you, then use it. If taking casein before bed is something you want to do, then go for it. Even though we've now proven that you don't go catabolic over night. Science has also proven that a typical bodybuilding bout does not deplete glycogen stores to the amount at which you need instant replenishment. But if taking BCAAs and a recovery protein drink right after you finish your last set seems to help gains, then by all means go for it.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    Sorry i just thought that the "instantly replenish" myth went out years ago.

    Edit: Let me be clear though...

    Everyone does it differently. If something works for you, then use it. If taking casein before bed is something you want to do, then go for it. Even though we've now proven that you don't go catabolic over night. Science has also proven that a typical bodybuilding bout does not deplete glycogen stores to the amount at which you need instant replenishment. But if taking BCAAs and a recovery protein drink right after you finish your last set seems to help gains, then by all means go for it.
    You are over looking the effect insulin has post workout, specifically increasing protein synthesis while also decrease protein breakdown. Replenishing glycogen stores is only one aspect to the idea of a post workout drink. But again IGF-1 will also stimulate protein synthesis so it really just boils down to a preference of the individual.
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I have 2lbs of EVCO coming in today. I'm bringing back my old tradition of Stir Fry-day.
    Ordered it online? I never thought to order my EVCO online hmmm... Also PM me some stir fry ideas bud!! I have experimented with ideas myself and had to eat some disgusting creations lol.. Recently I started picking up plantains from a local Spanish store and frying them up in EVCO and they are delicious!! Highly recommend them!
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  4. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    You are over looking the effect insulin has post workout, specifically increasing protein synthesis while also decrease protein breakdown. Replenishing glycogen stores is only one aspect to the idea of a post workout drink. But again IGF-1 will also stimulate protein synthesis so it really just boils down to a preference of the individual.
    You're right, but i can use a protein shake to achieve the same result as if i were to use quick carbs.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    You're right, but i can use a protein shake to achieve the same result as if i were to use quick carbs.
    A zero to low carb protein shake mixed in water is not going to spike insulin no where near as effective or to the same amount as carbs can. Yes protein will release insulin but it also causes a glucagon release. I think last I read was whey mixed in water resulted in a some what balanced insulin-glucagon release which would be pretty neutral overall.
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  6. To play devil's advocate, it is often viewed as what is necessary rather than what we can get away with.

    For example, to replenish glycogen I could get away with no carbs, to improve MPS I could use just whey, or aminos, or leucine or whatever you want to do.

    or...

    I am trying to build muscle and can have a shake with 150g of carbs and 50g of protein and not gain fat. If I am not gaining fat and I am trying to build muscle then I will happily take the calories and I will happily do it straight away. I love the science behind all aspects of weight training but just because I can get away with a few grams of aminos to spike MPS doesn't mean I want to take that route when I have the option of adding to my total caloric intake.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc
    To play devil's advocate, it is often viewed as what is necessary rather than what we can get away with.

    For example, to replenish glycogen I could get away with no carbs, to improve MPS I could use just whey, or aminos, or leucine or whatever you want to do.

    or...

    I am trying to build muscle and can have a shake with 150g of carbs and 50g of protein and not gain fat. If I am not gaining fat and I am trying to build muscle then I will happily take the calories and I will happily do it straight away. I love the science behind all aspects of weight training but just because I can get away with a few grams of aminos to spike MPS doesn't mean I want to take that route when I have the option of adding to my total caloric intake.
    Well said bro!

  8. Put very nicely BDCC! Pretty much the point I was tryna make. One way isn't necessarily superior to the other
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  9. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Ordered it online? I never thought to order my EVCO online hmmm... Also PM me some stir fry ideas bud!! I have experimented with ideas myself and had to eat some disgusting creations lol.. Recently I started picking up plantains from a local Spanish store and frying them up in EVCO and they are delicious!! Highly recommend them!
    I get them off of Amazon for about $6 per 16oz.

    Any recommendations of how to fry them? I tried to fry a banana in EVCO and it didn't work as planned.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  10. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I get them off of Amazon for about $6 per 16oz.

    Any recommendations of how to fry them? I tried to fry a banana in EVCO and it didn't work as planned.
    Were they plantains (green bananas)? If they are super green you slice them in big chunks, squish them and just pan fry in the EVCO. If the plantain is black & yellow and soft I slice thin pieces on am angle and again pan fry them. When the plantain is green they come out like firm with a slight crunch. Just sprinkle some sea salt and enjoy. If you want the sweeter ones than you have to let the banana sit until it starts to turn black and yellow.

    I use them as a side pretty often, mainly the firmer ones. I used to deep fry then in canola oil before and recently switch to pan frying them in the EVCO. SSbackwards gave me the idea recently. I don't know why I never thought of frying them in EVCO before.
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   
       

  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. For Sale: Pre/Post Workout Stack (Muscle Builders)
    By Reid Crowns in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
  2. Post-workout Muscle Milk Protein Bars
    By Inchamery in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
  3. Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle
    By DarCSA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Log in
Log in