Trouble with Protein Shakes

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
I am a 35 year old, male, just started working out a few months ago.
I have been taking krill oil twice daily, creatine 5gram daily, and using ON Whey.

Unfortunately, the protein is really doing a # on me. I figured I would use this protein since it supposedly has some extra digestive enzymes in it, but due to the bloating and gas production, I think I would thrive better on a different protein shake.

Looking for suggestions. I saw a recommendation for isopure or any other shake that is lactose free, but would definitely appreciate some specific suggestions.

I am trying to lose belly fat, but at the same time pack on some muscle. I find it almost impossible to reach 175grams of protein daily with 3
protein-rich health meals and 2 shakes.

Thanks

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Protein Isolates do not contain lactose. You need to avoid Concentrate. Any product would do, just pick an isolate based on price and taste.

alewisdvm

Awards
options

Thanks for reply.

Any comment on isopure versus fitness labs wheyfit?

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried either of them, but they seem to be pricy. You can find cheaper alternatives. I order mine from a protein site, I pay around $8.5-$9/lb because I like certain flavor. You can find cheaper products.

alewisdvm

Awards
Also, I would love some advice on using BCAA's formulas instead of protein powders. Thanks for your responses.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
If you have to choose between protein and BCAA, then definitely protein. If you get enough protein from solid foods, then you could probably go with BCAAs. In general, you would have enough amino acids in your system at all time if you eat regularly. Smart people been debating this point for very long time, so you just have to decide which works for you and based on your budget.

Personally, I started drinking BCAAs because of the taste of certain products is good which makes me drink more water. And if I am going to drink flavored water, matter as well make it BCAAs.

josephd79

Awards
I have the same issue but have found the ways to manage it. First off, I have found straight wheys to go thru me & end up with Hershey Squirts. So what you want to find is a blend with a Casein to try to slow the digestion. I'm milkfat intolerant, and Syntha-6 works very good for me. Also, eventually the stomach discomfort will go away as your body gets used to it, most of the time. I also take a probiotic with my shake, seems to help too. I think straight Creatine & the fish oils should be stopped until u can be sure it's the protein shake that's causing discomfort too. Maybe you'll find it's the fish oil loosening things up.

Whenever I switch protein shakes, I get a week or so of stomach discomfort but it goes away. I'm currently using a blend of Syntha6 & Monster Milk. So far so good.

Stick with it man, it'll be ok. Plus, if you let one rip at the gym, calculate the distance that the people around you start covering there nose or running away. My record is about 12 feet.

Ajerone

Banned
Awards
Could be a lactose issue, I have experienced some with a few varieties of protein. However with any high protein diet, some GI discomfort will be had, when we put our bodies to the test. Many, including myself, love the incorporation of a probiotic, such as Gut Health. There are lots of good choices, but I have yet to read anything but stellar feedback on Gut Health. Users noticeably feel less GI distress due to increased nutrient absorption. There are some current logs floating around too, on this site and others.