best supplements for anxiety?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by The Cold View Post
    I really recommend avoiding any gaba derivative, as the rebound anxiety can be tremendous. Lastly, avoid stims at all cost, learn to meditate, and know that life is exactly how it should be.
    You do have to be careful with the GABA supplements. I spent many years using all the GABA supplements and I think it led to more anxiety in the long-run. Phenibut by far had the worst long-term effects. Stimulants also inhibit or lower GABA levels.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

    WHAT has science offered?


  2. yeah, it seems like everything is reported to have some pretty serious sides in at least some people ranging from liver issues with bark that was in the root to long term effects like you mention. ive got l-theanine and ashwaganda on my short list. might try phenibut and picamilon for short term (maybe around exams or other particularly stressful times)
    •   
       


  3. GABA helped me sleep so well. What is it that makes it cause anxiety?
    It makes me feel good. I do not like yohimbe. It causes anxiety.
    I hate it. I have an appt to get meds tomorrow. I'm military and have to.

  4. thanks for the magnesium tip - i never would've known. just did a search on Google & seems like a lot of people have had success with it. i came across quite a few studies as well.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by bill86 View Post
    so for years and years ive been on prescription medication for anxiety and im ready to get off. ive gradually lowered my dose to the point where im taking so little that i doubt its actually doing anything (probably just a placebo effect that im 'on medication'), but i think the hardest part is going to be getting completely off. i know exercise, breathing techniques, etc help a lot, but im looking for something to take off that extra little edge as i come off completely and in particularly stressful/anxious times.


    the research ive done has listed A LOT of different herbs that help (there are about 5-10 specific ones that show up on every list ive found), but im having a hard time finding which ones, exactly, work best. im not in a position where i can buy 5+ more supplements every month or so, and im trying to figure out which one (or two) would be best, which i havent found, leading me here.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Kava Kava root, i use the KAvaKava 84% past extract from konakavafarm.com and take 0.5-2g to help sleep of 0.5-1g to axitey.

    valarian root also will help.
    i use the kava almost daily.
    no scripts for me.
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.

  6. I've been in your same position. I weaned myself down to 2.5mg paxil (the smallest pill they make is 10mg) and decided I could quit just fine. DISASTER STRUCK... I quit for 10 days then went back on 2.5mg for a few months and now I've been on 5mg for 2 and a half months. I still am nowhere near the mental stability I was when on the low dose of the SSRI originally. I looked into a lot of natural supps but I am terrified of how they might interact with medication. I take medication for obsessive thoughts/anxiety.

    Has anyone actually quit an SSRI while using any of these supplements? I always read people talking about doing it but I've never heard an actually success story.

  7. what about ZMA ??

  8. zma should help with sleep - which i read will in-turn relieve some anxiety & it has magnesium as well

  9. same here..... i weaned down to 5mg celexa (1/4 of a 20 mg pill), and got off for a couple days... anxiety came on hard last night and i had to break down and take another 1/4 pill, and i plan on taking another tonight. i think its a mental thing. coming off 5mg shouldnt be THAT hard (especially after being at 40mg at one point a few years ago, and weaning down from 20mg in the past few months). i too am a little nervous about interactions.

    if i had time, i think behavioral therapy would be best overall for learning to manage anxiety while coming off meds. but i dont have the time or money for that right now. and in all honesty, im pretty happy sitting at 5mg daily when, like i said, i was at 40 at one point. plus, i used to take 20mg lexapro, and celexa metabolizes differently, so 5mg celexa = 2.5mg lexapro.... i guess i should look on the bright side haha



    Quote Originally Posted by useyourhead View Post
    I've been in your same position. I weaned myself down to 2.5mg paxil (the smallest pill they make is 10mg) and decided I could quit just fine. DISASTER STRUCK... I quit for 10 days then went back on 2.5mg for a few months and now I've been on 5mg for 2 and a half months. I still am nowhere near the mental stability I was when on the low dose of the SSRI originally. I looked into a lot of natural supps but I am terrified of how they might interact with medication. I take medication for obsessive thoughts/anxiety.

    Has anyone actually quit an SSRI while using any of these supplements? I always read people talking about doing it but I've never heard an actually success story.

  10. i guess it just worries me a little bit about ssri interactions with supplements. ive really been wanting to give andromass a try (thinking of ph's for a while now), but i worry what it may do mentally or with regards to interaction. i doubt many reps would know, specifically, and my doctor isnt the type who will give me a straight answer knowing its going to lead to me taking ph's.
    •   
       


  11. Sensoril, Primavie and Schizandrins are current favs used alone or together.
    doing my own thang!

  12. Quote Originally Posted by bill86 View Post
    same here..... i weaned down to 5mg celexa (1/4 of a 20 mg pill), and got off for a couple days... anxiety came on hard last night and i had to break down and take another 1/4 pill, and i plan on taking another tonight. i think its a mental thing. coming off 5mg shouldnt be THAT hard (especially after being at 40mg at one point a few years ago, and weaning down from 20mg in the past few months). i too am a little nervous about interactions.

    if i had time, i think behavioral therapy would be best overall for learning to manage anxiety while coming off meds. but i dont have the time or money for that right now. and in all honesty, im pretty happy sitting at 5mg daily when, like i said, i was at 40 at one point. plus, i used to take 20mg lexapro, and celexa metabolizes differently, so 5mg celexa = 2.5mg lexapro.... i guess i should look on the bright side haha
    Hi, if you're interested you might look into mindfulness based cognitive therapy. It's based on Theraveda Buddhist mindfulness meditation. I've been doing the Theraveda practice for a few years and I can honestly say that it works like nothing else. I haven't been exposed to the mindfulness based cognitive therapy stream, but my teacher has talked about it a lot, he says it's solid and very useful.

  13. never heard of it, but ill definitely check it out, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Hi, if you're interested you might look into mindfulness based cognitive therapy. It's based on Theraveda Buddhist mindfulness meditation. I've been doing the Theraveda practice for a few years and I can honestly say that it works like nothing else. I haven't been exposed to the mindfulness based cognitive therapy stream, but my teacher has talked about it a lot, he says it's solid and very useful.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Hi, if you're interested you might look into mindfulness based cognitive therapy. It's based on Theraveda Buddhist mindfulness meditation. I've been doing the Theraveda practice for a few years and I can honestly say that it works like nothing else. I haven't been exposed to the mindfulness based cognitive therapy stream, but my teacher has talked about it a lot, he says it's solid and very useful.
    I've heard of this being very effective, but never actually looked into it to see what it was all about.

    Mike
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anxiety and Depression Supplements
    By chainsaw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
  2. Anxiety Help Reduce Anxiety With The Help Of Valerian
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
  3. Best supplements for anxiety
    By machine528 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
  4. Best supplements for social anxiety?
    By Flaw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM
  5. Libido/TRT/Anxiety/Supplements
    By SufferingEd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Log in
Log in