Glutamine might not do anything for strength, but...

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I thought this was accepted by now. That was the main reason it got real big to start, it reduces soreness. I use it preWO and post but almost always pre because i notice a pump from it. Not massive but for sure a full feeling. I have 500g from Nutra right now, the price of the stuff is great, used to be better(lower) i think.
2-3g pre/ 2-3g post

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
So it reduces muscle damage....isn't that the opposite of what we want?

These results suggest that L-glutamine supplementation attenuates DOMS effects, muscle damage...

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I experimented with high dose glutamine years ago. I don't think it does squat for strength, OR for DMSOS. But I did however think it helped with the beating your immune system takes from the constant balls out training. Helps ward off minor colds etc..

That was just my own personal experience with glutamine.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
It's for sure not scientific, but when i was using it, i grew. I didn't take anything else but WTF Pumped and Xtend. I know those didn't make me grow. It wasn't tons, but i did notice change. So amongst those 3 things i liked it.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
It's for sure not scientific, but when i was using it, i grew. I didn't take anything else but WTF Pumped and Xtend. I know those didn't make me grow. It wasn't tons, but i did notice change. So amongst those 3 things i liked it.
BCAAs would boost mps, so any time you used it, it slightly increased growth. It wouldn't be significant short term, but long term it would add up.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
BCAAs would boost mps, so any time you used it, it slightly increased growth. It wouldn't be significant short term, but long term it would add up.
I doubt i used it enough to justify my increase in muscle. I know there are many factors. I was only using Xtend every other day, once a day. I used it as more of an aid to rid of a sweet tooth, soda craving, and something refreshing.
I have to many variables right now but maybe in the future I'll give just glutamine a shot and see what happens.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anyone ever take their glutamine pre-bed?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I second the immune system benefits. Not much else.
Same here. I've dosed glutamine so high that it gave me a buzz (20-30g range) and it really didn't do much for DOMS

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
anyone ever take their glutamine pre-bed?
Yea, i had a reason, so I'm thinking it was GH release related or to keep from being "catabolic" when not eating. Do not recall though.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea, i had a reason, so I'm thinking it was GH release related or to keep from being "catabolic" when not eating. Do not recall though.
thats exactly what i was getting at...atleast thats when i take mine and the reason i take it at night anyway

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
LOL anyone else notice: There is a significant difference in aldolase level between control and experimental group (p> 0.05).

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
LOL anyone else notice: There is a significant difference in aldolase level between control and experimental group (p> 0.05).
Lol, also curious why they chose to use 'non-athletic' individuals.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is mostly used up by the gut (mainly helps in repairing and maintaining gut / intestinal integrity) and also greatly aids with the immune system. Worth it for those two benefits alone.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is mostly used up by the gut (mainly helps in repairing and maintaining gut / intestinal integrity) and also greatly aids with the immune system. Worth it for those two benefits alone.
That was a common thought awhile back, but i think it was shown to be negligible amount absorbed into the gut and "wasted."

I think they are referencing it as a relation rather than an amount. p is representative as a difference or relation. I think, based on what i remember from stats. So yes, .05 being the higher end of p is a large difference.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I think they are referencing it as a relation rather than an amount. p is representative as a difference or relation. I think, based on what i remember from stats. So yes, .05 being the higher end of p is a large difference.
Was unaware, I always thought p<0.05,0.01 meant significant

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Dose Wal Mart still sell that Body Fortress glutamine? I think it has its place for keeping a person healthy when their overtrained, which I am at the moment.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
Non-athletic individuals would experience greater DOMS than athletic individuals
That makes sense, but I still would think it would be more interesting to see how it impacts physically trained individuals.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
That was a common thought awhile back, but i think it was shown to be negligible amount absorbed into the gut and "wasted."

What? p<0.05 is significant.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
time for some articles:

According to Houston (2001), “Glutamine content in skeletal muscle and other tissues appears to have a regulatory role in whole body protein synthesis.” Glutamine levels inside muscle govern protein synthesis and nitrogen balance and therefore muscle growth (VanAcker et al. 1999). The newly synthesized glutamine is created by using BCAA’s obtained from muscle protein breakdown (Holecek, 2002).

What all this means is glutamine requirements are trying to be met during/post workout by BCAA catabolism causing BCAA catabolism/muscle protein breakdown to be increased
Glutamine administration has been shown to decrease leucine oxidation (Holeck, 2002). The mechanism behind this decrease in oxidation is believed to be that glutamine oxidation increases NADH levels (and increases the NADH/NAD+ ratio), thereby inhibiting BCKA dehydrogenase, which is the “key-enzyme” in BCAA oxidation (Holeck, 2002).
References

1. Holecek M. Relation between glutamine, branched-chain amino acids, and protein metabolism. Nutrition. 2002 Feb;18(2):130-3. Review.
2. Layman, DK (2003). The role of leucine in weight loss diets and glucose homeostasis. J. Nutr. 133: 261S-267S.
3. Rowbottom DG, Keast D, Morton AR. The emerging role of glutamine as an indicator of exercise stress and overtraining. Sports Med. 1996 Feb;21(2):80-97. Review.
4. Shimomura, Y. Murakami, T.Nakai, N. Nagasaki, M. Harri, R.A. (2004). Exercise Promotes BCAA Catabolism: Effects of BCAA Supplementation on Skeletal Muscle during Exercise J. Nutri. 134: 1583S-1587S.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/interaction-of-bcaas-glutamine-metabolism.html

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard that when the bodies gltamine levels are low, muscles leach it from other places, or other places leach it from muscles. Dont know if thats true, but if it is, then loading your gut with glutamine may have a slow but eventually positive benefit for individuals who could use a little extra glutamine. This is all in theory though.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Ive heard that when the bodies gltamine levels are low, muscles leach it from other places, or other places leach it from muscles. Dont know if thats true, but if it is, then loading your gut with glutamine may have a slow but eventually positive benefit for individuals who could use a little extra glutamine. This is all in theory though.
Well it is the most abundent amino in the body.lol

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
What? p<0.05 is significant.
I may have it backwards. Like i said, it's been awhile since i took stats. Ill look into it. For now i'll take your word for it.

All i can say is, you guys should try it if you haven't. It's cheap enough too, has no negative sides I'm aware of or experienced. If you don't like it i wouldn't consider it too much of a loss.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Glutamine can be used as a buffer. Had a theory for a while that the reason people report poorer recovery and extra soreness when they come off glutamine (hence, justifying them using it) was simply just because the body had downregulated it's own bicarbonate-producing abilities.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting conversation here, for sure.

Unfortunately, when I was really using glutamine, I was using so many other things, that I couldn't just control one variable. I used Glutamine AKG a few years back and currently have a tub of MHP's 12-hour glutamine stashed away that a buddy picked up for dirt cheap, close-dated from GNC. I haven't been using it, though.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol, also curious why they chose to use 'non-athletic' individuals.
Glutamine can be used as a buffer. Had a theory for a while that the reason people report poorer recovery and extra soreness when they come off glutamine (hence, justifying them using it) was simply just because the body had downregulated it's own bicarbonate-producing abilities.
I like the theory. Ive havent used glutamine myself for years, but wonder if people notice decreased soreness soon after they start supplementing it vs noticing increased soreness when they stop using it

Vegking

Awards