vpx power shock or bsn amino x?

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thread title says it all, if you had to pick one, which would it be?

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Amino X looks really good. Personally i use Xtend.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had to pick one I would get the cheapest one. I wouldn't tell the person forcing me to pick one but I would return it and get Scivation Xtend.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^This. I wont buy anything with BSN or VPX labels

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
VPX Powershock, not even close. If you want a dedicated EAA product without the nitrates: Purple Wraath

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually check this out. The ingredient/dosing profile is impressive and leagues ahead of anything else that I've ever used. Musclefeast's Anabolic Competition.

3832.gif
3852.gif

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been using purple wraath for a long time now. I got 5 tubs back when it was on sale for $40 at Nutraplanet. However, last month I had to purchase a new tub and its $55 plus shipping. I'm done with it as of tomorrow and don't really have the money for a new one. Think I'll go with something cheaper this time. I used PW specifically for intra workout. Personally I would stay with products with nitrates in them, they are not safe and have not been studied long-term. Nitrates are more for heart attack/heart disease patients and should not be used in supplements.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, for starters, im not going to pay over 20 bucks for a tub of amino's.

i get lg's bca+eaa for 14 bucks, and the kiwiwatermelon isn't the most delicious stuff, but taste okay.

i fill my shaker to the brim, so w/e it is will be watered down for sure.

but i was looking at those too. im sure the vpx stuff will taste chemically, like their shotgun and synthesize, which were good products but tasted awful.

anyhow, open for 20 and under recomendations. but 55 bucks, no thanks.

also thought about xtend, i know that stuff taste pretty good.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

i get lg's bca+eaa for 14 bucks, and the kiwiwatermelon isn't the most delicious stuff, but taste okay.

but i was looking at those too. im sure the vpx stuff will taste chemically, like their shotgun and synthesize, which were good products but tasted awful.

Yeah I'm looking for something cheaper now too. I just can't afford it anymore. Not that could before either though.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I stocked up on Xtend, LG's BCAA+EAA and RecoverPro awhile back, also stocked up on Protocol when the new version came out. I don't pay more than 20 for an intraworkout drink. But look into RecoverPro its usually a good price. It has my vote.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The 13-14$ xtend gets my vote.
Powershock has a very strong flavor. I had the lime flavor. It would flavor 32oz easily...easily.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The 13-14$ xtend gets my vote.
Powershock has a very strong flavor. I had the lime flavor. It would flavor 32oz easily...easily.
Recoverpro is also a pretty good deal.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i prefer to have bcaa & eaa product.

im going to give the lime flavor a try.

like i said, i fill my entire shaker cup with water for 1 serving, and sip on it during my workouts, even when the shaker starts to get about halfway down, i just re fill it.

it's flavor + a little something extra. i notice a difference in energy during my workout (could be placebo) with or without the amino's so i guess im hooked.

thanks to all for their input.

maybe i'll give purple wrath a try after this.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What kind of shaker? Bc 20-24oz produced to strong of a flavor for me to drink intra lol

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that has a decent price, but never heard of the company.
I use a ton of their products. They sold bulk creatine nitrate for quite some time. Other reputable posters on this forum can vouch for them. Google musclefeast and check out their products, no frills, just 100% quality.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is that for real? 6 g of BCAA nitrates? That comes to around 1800mgs for nitrates alone which is down right dangerous:eek1:
I've used and never had a problem and check BP regularly, for whatever that's worth.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find soemthing VERY wrong here then....that would be to large of a dose for most:confused:
I hear you, not sure I can speak to your concerns. My friends have been using their nitrate products for months all without issue and they check BP regularly.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I hear you, not sure I can speak to your concerns. My friends have been using their nitrate products for months all without issue and they check BP regularly.
BP check or no BP check, 90% of the population would get a headache.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bulk BCAA cheap and tons of servings, who cares about taste.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BP check or no BP check, 90% of the population would get a headache.
Not sure what to tell you, other than 100% of my friends "have yet to suffer through any headaches", or experience any other issues.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, me (im probably the only one with his hand raised, again).

any how, i looked to see if you guys had some bcaa's, didn't see any.

but, i waited too long, and so, i had to stop by the v shop and grabbed a tub of amino x. watermelon.

taste like a jolly rancher. mixes great with orange gatoraid.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I always go for EAA product, and this is why

J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):234S-6S.
Modulations of muscle protein metabolism by branched-chain amino acids in normal and muscle-atrophying rats.

Kobayashi H, Kato H, Hirabayashi Y, Murakami H, Suzuki H.

Applied Research Department, AminoScience Laboratories, Ajinomoto Co., Kawasaki, Japan. [email protected] om

It has been shown that BCAAs, especially leucine, regulate skeletal muscle protein metabolism. However, it remains unclear how BCAAs regulate muscle protein metabolism and lead to anabolism in vivo. We examined muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate simultaneously during BCAA infusion in muscle atrophy models as well as in normal healthy rats. Corticosterone-treated rats and hindlimb-immobilized rats were used as muscle atrophy models. Muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate were measured as phenylalanine kinetics across the hindlimb. In anesthetized normal rats, BCAAs stimulated muscle protein synthesis despite low insulin concentration and did not suppress muscle protein breakdown. In corticosterone-treated rats, BCAAs failed to restore inhibited muscle protein synthesis, but reduced muscle protein breakdown. Immobilization of hindlimb increased muscle protein breakdown within a day. BCAAs did not change muscle protein metabolism, although essential amino acids (EAAs) suppressed muscle protein breakdown in hindlimb-immobilized rats. We also evaluated changes of fractional synthesis rate (FSR) of skeletal muscle protein during infusion of leucine alone or EAAs for 4 h in anesthetized normal rats. FSR showed a transient increase at 15-30 min of leucine infusion and then declined, whereas FSR stayed elevated throughout EAA infusion. We concluded that

1) BCAAs primarily stimulate muscle protein synthesis in normal rats independently of insulin
2) EAAs are required to maintain the BCAA stimulation of muscle protein synthesis and
3) The effects of BCAAs on muscle protein metabolism differ between atrophy models.
That alone makes me prefer EAAs!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
damn, I have been only taking BCAAs....
They do still work, but that study, and other research I've done, makes me question why COMPLETE protein sources contain EAAs and INCOMPLETE protein sources do not.

Me personally I just don't even want to risk it. Why short-change yourself, when EAA products are roughly the same price.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They do still work, but that study, and other research I've done, makes me question why COMPLETE protein sources contain EAAs and INCOMPLETE protein sources do not.

Me personally I just don't even want to risk it. Why short-change yourself, when EAA products are roughly the same price.
The only EAA drink I took was by LG.... that stuff was horrible... tasted like rotten protein powder...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
The only EAA drink I took was by LG.... that stuff was horrible... tasted like rotten protein powder...
lol...never tried it. never used much from LG, cept the old PHs

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I am finishing up using amino nitrate by vpx...wouldn't call it awesome but it's what was there at the time...wanna get some more wraath. That sh1t is awesome fasted interval sprints and running... *tingles

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, me (im probably the only one with his hand raised, again).

any how, i looked to see if you guys had some bcaa's, didn't see any.

but, i waited too long, and so, i had to stop by the v shop and grabbed a tub of amino x. watermelon.

taste like a jolly rancher. mixes great with orange gatoraid.
get thru that tub of aminoX, then perhaps check our web site again & you might....might...just be pleasantly suprised...
...as one is in the works... :biggthumpup:

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

well, i was thinking of ordering purple wrath, but it was 46 bucks at the v shop, and im not paying 10 bucks more to have it now.

next time i'll give it a try.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just finished a tub of their eaa +bcaa, yea, it taste like other intra w/o products, but better than intra aid, and another one i tried.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
get thru that tub of aminoX, then perhaps check our web site again & you might....might...just be pleasantly suprised...
...as one is in the works... :biggthumpup:
sounds good bro. :thumbsup:

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've found both for the same price and serving. I used vpx powershock in my last contest prep and loved it.. never lost muscle.. it was my dedicated intra-workout.. now I prefer no-synthesize by them.

Mike

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Between those two I would go with VPX but I personally use this vvvv and it's a really good product and the price is much better
I've used powershock, in fact I have another tub on my counter. It doesn't compare to Anabolic Competition, just compare labels and look at the dosages. In AI you're getting a full gram of Agmatine, most competing products sprinkle it in. You're also getting more nitrates as well.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Only problem is that if one eats a meal 1-3 hr pre-wo there will be all the eaa's still in the blood to fuel the full effects of bcaa's. So if your not training fasted a bcaa product is just as good as an eaa product.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
I've used powershock, in fact I have another tub on my counter. It doesn't compare to Anabolic Competition, just compare labels and look at the dosages. In AI you're getting a full gram of Agmatine, most competing products sprinkle it in. You're also getting more nitrates as well.
I have agmatine on hand, actually is by MF lol, but I'm too lazy to measure it every time so having in that would be great.

How does it taste?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only problem is that if one eats a meal 1-3 hr pre-wo there will be all the eaa's still in the blood to fuel the full effects of bcaa's. So if your not training fasted a bcaa product is just as good as an eaa product.
Solid point for sure, something I have read many times.

Mike

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
This is true, but i see two flaws:1) the food eaten must be a complete source of protein2) the amount of EAAs in said food is potentially lowFor example, theres only 18mg of Histidine per gram of protein in complete food source.Taking an EAA product you would absorb them all at once, in much larger amounts. And we know timing of nutrients around a workout is essential to success. Theres too many variables to factor in for this to be a legit reason to pick BCAAs over EAAs.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thread title says it all, if you had to pick one, which would it be?
funny how you started a thread asking about picking specifically from two and people still ignore that and recommend something else!

I agree, VPX does have a chemically nasty taste. I didn't like their Power Shock and their Synthesize was even worse, like drinking concentrated Robitesum cough syrup, flavor wise. I did a very comprehensive review on BSN's Amino X on bb. Formula is ok but taste is much better.

Me! If i'm going to be drinking it all the time, I shouldn't have to gag it down and try to keep from puking. There has been some wonderful advances in flavoring and with the large diversity of products out there now, there's no need to settle for junk IMO.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
funny how you started a thread asking about picking specifically from two and people still ignore that and recommend something else!

I agree, VPX does have a chemically nasty taste. I didn't like their Power Shock and their Synthesize was even worse, like drinking concentrated Robitesum cough syrup, flavor wise. I did a very comprehensive review on BSN's Amino X on bb. Formula is ok but taste is much better.

Me! If i'm going to be drinking it all the time, I shouldn't have to gag it down and try to keep from puking. There has been some wonderful advances in flavoring and with the large diversity of products out there now, there's no need to settle for junk IMO.
I have to agree with you on taste... can completely derail a workout if you are sipping on cow piss.

That said my post workout shake sometimes makes me wanna puke.. I guess thats why sometimes I stretch out my workouts... I just have a hard time drinking 10g bcaas mixed in a casein shake.... (also my stomach cant handle milk proteins... just drinking it up cause my mom sent me a bottle cause she thought I wanted protein from america....)

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is true, but i see two flaws:1) the food eaten must be a complete source of protein2) the amount of EAAs in said food is potentially lowFor example, theres only 18mg of Histidine per gram of protein in complete food source.Taking an EAA product you would absorb them all at once, in much larger amounts. And we know timing of nutrients around a workout is essential to success. Theres too many variables to factor in for this to be a legit reason to pick BCAAs over EAAs.
I understand the use for eaa's. The debate will never end. I was just throwing some food for thought out there. I got that knowledge from layne norton myself. The "truth" is always different depending on who you ask lol.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to agree with your approach here when bulking.

Mike