ideal post workout carb?

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
What these days is the ideal post workout Carb. I've been using either gatoraid or kwick karb. I don't like the taste of kwick Carb and I don't think gayoraid is very good for u in general.
I've tried a new one called karboly, tasted good 40g of carbs I think, any thoughts on that one?
Also what about glycomize by optimum nutrition?

Level9Germ

Awards
What these days is the ideal post workout Carb. I've been using either gatoraid or kwick karb. I don't like the taste of kwick Carb and I don't think gayoraid is very good for u in general.
I've tried a new one called karboly, tasted good 40g of carbs I think, any thoughts on that one?
Also what about glycomize by optimum nutrition?
Oh wow bro i just bought that exact one and yea the taste is great man i did get the pumps too but.. But if u get any thoughs on that one ill appreciate if u tell me thanks bro !!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The more I read, the more I'd just say dextrose.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
save a lot of money and just get a high glycimic carb from food. White pasta is great. 1/2 cup has like 40grams. Not to mention, eating real food instead of supplements has whats called the "food factor" meaning that your body uses food more effectively than supplements. Dnt get me wrong i use Myofusion as a Protein, but the waxy starches are overated. Giving your body actual food also gives you a thermogenic effect, where heat (sweat) is a byproduct. (ATP process at a cellular level)

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys realize that there is no need to use Carbs to spike insulin post workout, right?

Unless you simply want to add extra calories... you're wasting money.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
You guys realize that there is no need to use Carbs to spike insulin post workout, right?

Unless you simply want to add extra calories... you're wasting money.
This is completely wrong^. Insulin only spikes when a sugar (simple carb) or a high glycemic carb is added to the body. The Insulin acts in transport across the cell wall to lower the glucose in the blood stream. Unless you are Jay Cutler and are injecting Insulin (very dangerous) you need a simple carb (sugar) or High Glycemic Carb. Low and Medium Glycemic carbs have a minamal effect on ones blood sugar levels.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Banana with a dab of cinnamon

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
This is completely wrong^. Insulin only spikes when a sugar (simple carb) or a high glycemic carb is added to the body. The Insulin acts in transport across the cell wall to lower the glucose in the blood stream. Unless you are Jay Cutler and are injecting Insulin (very dangerous) you need a simple carb (sugar) or High Glycemic Carb. Low and Medium Glycemic carbs have a minamal effect on ones blood sugar levels.
that's not at all completely true. Protein also raises blood sugar and causes an insulin spike.

Many people underestimate just how much of an insulin spike you get from 40-50g of whey.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Protein has to FIRST be metabolized to a form that can be transported by Insulin, as Insulin is Specific for transport of Glucose across the cell membrane.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Although oats are GREAT, post w/o is a spike.

Oats are a lower GI than say others. Fruit that's high in glucose like bananas, dates etc with some protein.
3:1 ratio ideally. No fat in this meal. It will slow digestion to much. Your meal after post w/o should then be protein, light low GI carb and a bit of fat like coconut oil/olive oil...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Although oats are GREAT, post w/o is a spike.

Oats are a lower GI than say others. Fruit that's high in glucose like bananas, dates etc with some protein.
3:1 ratio ideally. No fat in this meal. It will slow digestion to much. Your meal after post w/o should then be protein, light low GI carb and a bit of fat like coconut oil/olive oil...
Protein synthesis is not completely dependent on an insulin spike post workout. You can use oats post-workout and get good results.

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. After thorough research I agree w most that simple carbs post workout are ideal. I may try some glycomize by optimum nutrition along w my protein shake.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Was referring to the release of the carb itself. You want nutrients into a muscle...oats are SLOWER releasing than say a banana.
Oats are great by all means but there are better choices
:)

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ive used the preworkout product made by the company of Karboyl, I liked that although it bloated me but im curious to try Karboyl.

Honestly I prefer whole food immediately post workout. A quick digesting protein like fish and some form of potato with about 1/2c greens. I just hang out at the gym and eat.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1990 nutritional info.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Sorry, you're wrong.

1. Protein spikes insulin postworkout: this is proven. In fact, the protein does so INDEPENDENTLY of carbohydrate consumption.

2. Animal cells do not possess cell walls.

3. Glycemix index is retarded.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Sorry, you're wrong.

1. Protein spikes insulin postworkout: this is proven. In fact, the protein does so INDEPENDENTLY of carbohydrate consumption.

2. Animal cells do not possess cell walls.

3. Glycemix index is retarded.
Cell walls (cell membranes) semantics.lol

If it is a proven fact please show me the article by a CREDIBLE source, not on the back of some supplement container.lol And your right the glycemic index is retarted b/c thats why BB's and Nutritionists swear by it. Yea, who needs to worry about their blood sugar level when cutting body fat and gaining muscle...so 1990's. I would love to see ANYONE who is packing on size and not using carbs as a PART of their post-workout.

Protein doesn't Spike your insulin, BUT it will raise you blood sugar level......slowly, thru glucagon.

This isn't a pissing match but my God, stop misinforming people with "here say" proposals.lol

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

If it is a proven fact please show me the article by a CREDIBLE source, not on the back of some supplement container.lol And your right the glycemic index is retarted b/c thats why BB's and Nutritionists swear by it. Yea, who needs to worry about their blood sugar level when cutting body fat and gaining muscle...so 1990's. I would love to see ANYONE who is packing on size and not using carbs as a PART of their post-workout.

Protein doesn't Spike your insulin, BUT it will raise you blood sugar level......slowly, thru glucagon.

This isn't a pissing match but my God, stop misinforming people with "here say" proposals.lol
Thank you so much for this man. I am honestly laughing in the library and people are staring at me. Where'd you get your nutrition degree again?

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
I never said I had one, but it doesn't take a genius to know how carbs and protein work in your body. Im glad your in the library maybe you can find some books on the GI and make yourself look real smart.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I never said I had one, but it doesn't take a genius to know how carbs and protein work in your body. Im glad your in the library maybe you can find some books on the GI and make yourself look real smart.
Your brilliant posts are all I need. I think there are a bunch of typos in my books; thanks for enlightening me!

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
O yea, your a SERIOUS Nutrition Solutions Rep. LMAO now thats ironic coming from the guy who says the GI is retarded. I hope your boss reads this thread so I can have your job.lol

holmes215

holmes215

Awards
  • Established
Oats do the trick for me, I don't need the "insulin" spike and prefer to eat like a horse anyway

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

You do realize you're posting stuff that EVERYONE else can read, right?

You're wrong. The science of the 90s is not the science of 2011. You probably think the anabolic window is legit too right? Gotta use isolate whey and spike insulin within 30 minutes post workout. Then eat your meal within 2 hours post workout.

This is too funny.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
what are you talking about? SHOW me what evidence you have on your claims mr. SERIOUS Nutrition sales rep. I'm talking ONLY about the GI and Insulin. Your Botched ideas on PW nutrition with your windows is your own deal.lol good luck with your "gains".

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
O yea, your a SERIOUS Nutrition Solutions Rep. LMAO now thats ironic coming from the guy who says the GI is retarded. I hope your boss reads this thread so I can have your job.lol
This insulin spike will directly get glucose into my brain cells too, amiright?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
what are you talking about? SHOW me what evidence you have on your claims mr. SERIOUS Nutrition sales rep. I'm talking ONLY about the GI and Insulin. Your Botched ideas on PW nutrition with your windows is your own deal.lol good luck with your "gains".
I already conceded man. You can have my job.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
This insulin spike will directly get glucose into my brain cells too, amiright?
lol, if it helps you understand how the GI and Insulin work sure, knock urself out. Sales isn't my thing, Im not really that good at BS

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol, if it helps you understand how the GI and Insulin work sure, knock urself out. Sales isn't my thing, Im not really that good at BS
You're also apparently not good at researching current scientific protocol.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Wrong answer.
Didn't know this was a test.lol

Well at least I research enough to b able to back my posts with credible sources and not the cover of a new supplement that just came out with 2months of reseach put into it.lol You guys really are entertaining. I didn't know I need to be a sales rep in order to give people information. I care more about CORRECT info. All this crap about me doing research and w.e. and both of you STILL fail to post something backing your claims. Your the ones with all the "rep" and knowledge. SHOW me something.lol thats why im here, to learn and inform. Not bitch over the internet like school girls on facebook.lol

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Didn't know this was a test.lol

Well at least I research enough to b able to back my posts with credible sources and not the cover of a new supplement that just came out with 2months of reseach put into it.lol You guys really are entertaining. I didn't know I need to be a sales rep in order to give people information. I care more about CORRECT info. All this crap about me doing research and w.e. and both of you STILL fail to post something backing your claims. Your the ones with all the "rep" and knowledge. SHOW me something.lol thats why im here, to learn and inform. Not bitch over the internet like school girls on facebook.lol
All your info was correct. My cell walls are tingling with the the glory of facilitated diffusion.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
soooo instead of having a legit response, you deflect the conversation, again.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excerpts from various experts:

Insulin is only going to be anabolic at pharmacological doses administered via a poke in the arm. It has anti-catabolic effects and is only permissive when it comes to protein synthesis when an ample amount of protein is consumed in conjunction with. It actually doesn't take a high concentration to exert these effects.

-------

Oddly enough, up to the first 60 minutes post exercise, exercise induced translocation of GLUT-4 facilitates insulin INDEPENDENT uptake of glucose.

Insulin spiking post workout is not necessary for the vast majority.

--------

Well, here is what the science tells us: Increasing insulin to a range of about 15-30 mU/l will maximize your muscle protein balance (that is muscle protein synthesis minus muscle protein breakdown). This amount basically means achieving an insulin level of about 2-5 times normal fasting insulin levels.

Do you know how to achieve that level of increase? Well, you can drink pretty much any commercial protein + carb shake. You can also pretty much eat any normal protein + carb meal. Heck, even having a load of fat in that meal will still achieve the desired insulin levels for maximizing the spike for bodybuilding purposes.

Fat? Wait, I thought that fat slows down digestion and makes my hydrowhey useless?

Yes, even fat can be part of the post workout meal. If you don't believe me, take a look at this study:

Splanchnic and leg substrate exchange after ingestion of a natural mixed meal in humans. Capaldo B et. al, Diabetes. 1999 May;48(5):958-66.

They had subjects eat 600 kcal of pizza (which contained 17 grams of fat) and found that even this meal raised insulin levels to a maximum point of 5.6 times that of fasting levels two hours after ingesting them.

-------

Endurance athletes being glycogen depleted. Unless you are an endurance athlete or are doing high volume that needs to be repeated multiple times per day or consecutive days, glycogen depletion and speed of glycogen repletion are not significant issues. Adequate carb intake over the next 24+ hours matters more.

Protein 'spikes insulin' and has an anti-catabolic effect by itself. The effect of non-pharmacological serum hepatic IGF-1 on muscle growth beyond being perhaps permissive is debatable too. Aware yourself.

Carbs are fine. A high amount or high GI carbs are not necessary.

-------

Need anything else Stri8ted brah? I can keep posting current facts if you like...

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Protein by itself spikes insulin. PERIOD...

Leucine is the instigator...
It is when you mix with say a fat source, or carb source (prefer fat) will SLOW DIGESTION. Insulin regulators like apple cider vinegar and cinnamon and lemon, are also helpful...
SLEEP

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
its a kool article. But like i was saying a carb WITH a protein is the most effective Rather than just Protein alone. In your article is says just what i've been advocating.

Conclusion

CHO(carbs) and PRO(protein) ingestion following exercise significantly influences glucose and insulin concentrations. Although some trends were observed suggesting that H maintained blood glucose levels to a better degree, no significant differences were observed among types of CHO ingested on insulin levels. These findings suggest that each of these forms of CHO can serve as effective sources of CHO to ingest with PRO in and attempt to promote post-exercise anabolic responses.
I was saying all along that just protein alone is not sufficient for POST.

cham

cham

Awards
Power Carb by Labrada nutrition is good since is has karbolyn in it

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
Don't mean to interrupt, but where do you do your research? I'm looking for a place, and you know what you're talking about.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Protein by itself spikes insulin. PERIOD...
It raises blood sugar level yes, slowly. but haven't found anywhere where it says it causes a spike

Check this

marksdailyapple.com/insulin-index/
While Holt and her co-authors found a high correlation between glycemic index and insulin index measurements, they stumbled upon an intriguing exception. High protein, virtually no-carb foods like meat and eggs, while low on the glycemic index, measured high on the insulin index. In other words, while the meat and eggs didn’t cause a spike in blood sugar the way most carbohydrates do, they did result in an unexpectedly significant rise in insulin. (Baked goods, with their high levels of refined carbs, elicited a very high rise in insulin as well. Of course, this comes as less of a surprise.)

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Don't mean to interrupt, but where do you do your research? I'm looking for a place, and you know what you're talking about.
Jus to cover my azz; Anabolic Primer: Ergogenic Enhancement for the Hardcore Bodybuilder Gerard Thorne, SimplyShredded.com

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Stop pissin in the wind and medical sciences' face.
I'll get my link up when I get home...I'll pm you some stuff
Protein by itself spikes insulin. Another factor is the way it's prepared...
You would want fast digesting protein ie hydrolyzed after training but a slower one ag breakfast due to it's amount of "change in state".

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Stop pissin in the wind and medical sciences' face.
I'll get my link up when I get home...I'll pm you some stuff
Protein by itself spikes insulin. Another factor is the way it's prepared...
You would want fast digesting protein ie hydrolyzed after training but a slower one ag breakfast due to it's amount of "change in state".
Yes please post the article. "The more you know, the more you grow"

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol at this thread and the post-wo carb junkies

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer