Creatine pre or post workout?

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
it doesnt matter what time of day you take creatine, it just matters that you get 3-5g a day. its all about saturation, not timing.
That's the answer right there, although I personally try not to take it pre-workout. Simply because you are already taking things pre-workout, and why clog up the gears with more stuff.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It really doesn't matter just as long as it gets in.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Either (if dosing once daily) or both (if dosing twice daily), and easiest to do once first thing on non-training days. Just remember that you only need 2-3 grams of creatine daily to keep your muscle creatine threshold saturated - some people recommend up to 5g, which is ok, but not necessary.

Also depends whether your creatine product is a straight creatine product or has other properties - if it has other properties (i.e. NeoVar Recomped), or is a product that contains creatine (i.e. preworkout), then dose when recommended re timing.

~Rosie~

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Also there are creatine products that contain ingredients that aid with preworkout, such as Green MAG we advocate you take it preworkout for this reason.

I'm sure there's others out there too.

Straight creatine though, these guys are right...anytime of the day it will work

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
I am sure i will get arguments from my following statements.

If dosing creatine my recommendation would be to only use Creapure branded monohydrate. I would also suggest dosing it pre-workout.

Creatine definitely will help with post workout recovery, however, in order to work harder, longer, and stronger, the mitochondria in each cell, can really use the creatine as an extremely efficient source of ATP regeneration, during the workout.

More available ATP, equals vastly improved workouts.

When an ATP molecule, (Adenosine Triphosphate) is depleted into an ADP molecule (Adenosine Diphosphate), it really can't do much of anything.

We want to convert the Di molecule back into a Tri molecule, as quickly and efficiently as possible.

rodo123

Awards
Thanks guys. Also, how do you tell that the creatine has started working? And I'm thinking of taking it for 8 weeks and then 3 weeks off or something like that. thoughts? By the way, is it ok to take if I'm taking DAA and Triazole?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like to take 2 2.5g doses otherwise my intestines sometimes hate me if i take it all at once. Its not something you feel really. Its just a proven essential

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys. Also, how do you tell that the creatine has started working? And I'm thinking of taking it for 8 weeks and then 3 weeks off or something like that. thoughts? By the way, is it ok to take if I'm taking DAA and Triazole?
You're not really going to "tell that the creatine has started working" - it's going to make a difference once you start using it, especially if you have never used it before, or of you're starting back on it after at least three weeks break from it, but it's not something you really notice per se.

Yes, you can use creatine with DAA and Triazole. You can use creatine with pretty much ANYthing - it should be a constant STAPLE in your supplement regime!

~Rosie~

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally insist on taking creatine pre-workout primarily for placebo reasons.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
There won't be any REAL HUGE results, but you'll be able to get one or two more reps in the gym, and depending on the product you'll get more pump / muscle volume.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
You will also likely notice your weight goes up some from water retention...also keep in mind to hydrate well (anyone into BB should do this anyhow)

stonhous35

Awards
im not a huge creatine fan, but from all the research you can go between 10-15 old research said 10 because your body will just piss out the excess

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally insist on taking creatine pre-workout primarily for placebo reasons.
I do the same thing, the power of the mind is powerfull indeed.

Although when i take designer creatines you want to take them pre-workout anyways since they work synergistically with carbs. (green bulge/NeoVar)

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im not a huge creatine fan, but from all the research you can go between 10-15 old research said 10 because your body will just piss out the excess
You're not a fan of the MOST scientifically proven supplement? Hmmm. Odd.

stonhous35

Awards
works best with carbs that are insulin based, such as white sugars and sugar alcohols. Creatine needs the sugar because of the IGF insulin growth factor

stonhous35

Awards
thats my own opinion. things work for some people some work better for others. Especially the stuff they sell in stores in chinese based and cheap crap.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You will also likely notice your weight goes up some from water retention...also keep in mind to hydrate well (anyone into BB should do this anyhow)
You're not necessarily have any water retention or additional weight from it when using creatine. I have used and not used creatine, and it makes no difference to me personally. Hydration is important though, yes, for EVERYone, regardless of whether they even live this lifestyle or not.

~Rosie~

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
works best with carbs that are insulin based, such as white sugars and sugar alcohols. Creatine needs the sugar because of the IGF insulin growth factor
wut? broscientist right hurrrr

stonhous35

Awards
well if you do ur own research you'd know your own information, has nothing to do with being a broscientist it's called updating ur brain on important info BRObag

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
you dont need to take creatine with carbs or any of that nonsense.......you can mix 5g in water and you'll absorb it just fine.

Bagged01

Awards
  • Established
I take 3 times a day about 5g each,
Morning with my shake
Pre w/o or mid day
Before bed

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
use it for both. Pre for strength and Post as a Carrier. F*** monohydrate. Ester all the way

you dont need to take creatine with carbs or any of that nonsense.......you can mix 5g in water and you'll absorb it just fine.
Not entirly correct^

"Creatine absorbtion is enhanced when combined with a substance such as dextrose that increases insulin. This increased absorbtion can b achieved by taking creatine w grape juice or any ofther beverage high in dextrose. Injesting creatine w a meal will also provide the same effect b/c the increased insulin production. Some studies have shown that exercised muscles will absorb more creatine than non-exercised muscles." Anabolic Primer: Ergogenic Enhancement for the Hardcore Bodybuilder Gerard Thorne pg 356

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Uh wut? Do you take creatine ethyl ester?

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
kind of the same as an ester in the way that the dosing is low, no loading phase, and the pH of the Malate and ester is pretty close to you stomach acid (around 3), so more is absorbded in the small intestines

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
use it for both. Pre for strength and Post as a Carrier. F*** monohydrate. Ester all the way

Not entirly correct^
Why do you think it matters when you are already saturated? o_O

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Why do you think it matters when you are already saturated? o_O
with the pre i only take 3g. and the post I take about 2g. The reason I do it is just all the studies that have been done on creatine, bc its such an old supplement, Creatine acts as a carrier and help saturate the muscle cells. with that being said when u use creatine, its the first thing to be used up.

In technical terms: Creatine is initially stored as creatine phosphate, and it can "donate" or give its phosphate group to ADP (adenosine diphosphate: ATP after it loses its phosphate molecule) thus converting it back to ATP which is then available as a fuel source. That fuel source is one of the first to be used up when performing high intensity exercise.(60-90 min) The lactic acid build up wreaks havoc on the saturation levels of creatine in the muscle and this is why I also use Beta Alanine and citruline malate to kill the burn.

I dont use it all the time as a post, except for big groups like legs, back, and chest. Usually I just eat my white rice and Organic beef b/c the red meat is filled with tons of natural creatine.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you tried to give me a science lesson about things i already know, as ATP usage is elementary, yet didn't really answer my question. The question is: why do you think creatine needs to be taken with sugar when we are already saturated?

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So you tried to give me a science lesson about things i already know, as ATP usage is elementary, yet didn't really answer my question. The question is: why do you think creatine needs to be taken with sugar when we are already saturated?

thats just it, he cant answer that for you. he just knows what some fitness mags have told him apparently. like i said, BROSCIENTIST in hurrrrr

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
LMAO. My bad yo. I Didnt see where u specified the sugar part of the question.

That Quote I posted

"Creatine absorbtion is enhanced when combined with a substance such as dextrose that increases insulin. This increased absorbtion can b achieved by taking creatine w grape juice or any ofther beverage high in dextrose. Injesting creatine w a meal will also provide the same effect b/c the increased insulin production. Some studies have shown that exercised muscles will absorb more creatine than non-exercised muscles." Anabolic Primer: Ergogenic Enhancement for the Hardcore Bodybuilder Gerard Thorne pg 356
is from one of the Best books I have read on CURRENT Supplemental info and was just informing people of new researh. Gerard Thorne Has written I think three previous books and is a very trusted and accredited author.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LMAO. My bad yo. I Didnt see where u specified the sugar part of the question.

is from one of the Best books I have read on CURRENT Supplemental info and was just informing people of new researh. Gerard Thorne Has written I think three previous books and is a very trusted and accredited author.
Dont worry about the "new researh" creatine only needs water to carry it, but if you find sugar delicious go ahead.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
thats just it, he cant answer that for you. he just knows what some fitness mags have told him apparently. like i said, BROSCIENTIST in hurrrrr
Sorry BRO. u should check my sources (Anabolic Primer:Ergogenic Enhancement for the Hardcore Bodybuilder) b4 u get all BROsif on me. If i dont answer in the same second you post something Im to busy eating......sorry

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
Dont worry about the "new researh" creatine only needs water to carry it, but if you find sugar delicious go ahead.
Not really my cup of tea, or sugar in this case, but for those interested in the science. Jus thought i'd share

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry BRO. u should check my sources (Anabolic Primer:Ergogenic Enhancement for the Hardcore Bodybuilder) b4 u get all BROsif on me. If i dont answer in the same second you post something Im to busy eating......sorry
What scientific sources is the Anabolic Primer using to support this? The book itself isnt considered a source, but Im assuming they have a source to support their statements.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
What scientific sources is the Anabolic Primer using to support this? The book itself isnt considered a source, but Im assuming they have a source to support their statements.
In this case it was from a study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology. where 31 male subjects were tested over a 28day span.

and....Will Brink. Bodybuilding and nutrition writter

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not really my cup of tea, or sugar in this case, but for those interested in the science. Jus thought i'd share
I'd much rather see a clinical citation, than what you posted. Otherwise, there is little backing to that quote.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you look at this study, they make no mention of using sugar to achieve max absorption in their test subjects.

Also in this study, phosphocreatine levels only dropped 22% after a 30 day washout period showing that creatine has a very long half life in the human body. Absorption is so easily maintained that daily dosaging is not even needed.

J Strength Cond Res. 2004 Feb;18(1):162-7.
Effects of repeated creatine supplementation on muscle, plasma, and urine creatine levels.
Rawson ES, Persky AM, Price TB, Clarkson PM.
Source

Department of Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA. [email protected]
Abstract

The purpose of this case study was to examine the effects of repeated creatine administration on muscle phosphocreatine, plasma creatine, and urine creatine. One male subject (age, 32 years; body mass, 78.4 kg; height, 160 cm; resistance training experience, 15 years) ingested creatine (20 g.d(-1) for 5 days) during 2 bouts separated by a 30-day washout period. Muscle phosphocreatine was measured before and after supplementation. On day 1 of supplementation, blood samples were taken immediately before and hourly for 5 hours following ingestion of 5 g of creatine, and a pharmacokinetic analysis of plasma creatine was conducted. Twenty-four-hour urine collections were conducted before and for 5 days during supplementation. Muscle phosphocreatine increased 45% following the first supplementation bout, decreased 22% during the 30-day washout period, and increased 25% following the second bout. There were no meaningful differences in plasma creatine pharmacokinetic parameters between bouts 1 and 2. Total urine creatine losses during supplementation were 63.2 and 63.4 g during bouts 1 and 2, respectively. The major findings were that (a) a 30-day washout period is insufficient time for muscle phosphocreatine to return to baseline following creatine supplementation but is sufficient time for plasma and urine creatine levels to return to presupplementation values; (b) postsupplementation muscle phosphocreatine levels were similar following bouts 1 and 2 despite 23% higher presupplementation muscle phosphocreatine before bout 2; and (c) the increased muscle phosphocreatine that persisted throughout the 30-day washout period corresponded with maintenance of increased body mass (+2.0 kg). Athletes should be aware that the washout period for muscle creatine to return to baseline levels may be longer than 30 days in some individuals, and this may be accompanied by a persistent increase in body mass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14971966?dopt=abstractplus

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
I'd much rather see a clinical citation, than what you posted. Otherwise, there is little backing to that quote.
^^^^

Can I get some rep please.lol

Reactions: ax1
Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
If you look at this study, they make no mention of using sugar to achieve max absorption in their test subjects.

Also in this study, phosphocreatine levels only dropped 22% after a 30 day washout period showing that creatine has a very long half life in the human body. Absorption is so easily maintained that daily dosaging is not even needed.

J Strength Cond Res. 2004 Feb;18(1):162-7.
Effects of repeated creatine supplementation on muscle, plasma, and urine creatine levels.
Rawson ES, Persky AM, Price TB, Clarkson PM.
Source

Department of Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA. [email protected]
Abstract

The purpose of this case study was to examine the effects of repeated creatine administration on muscle phosphocreatine, plasma creatine, and urine creatine. One male subject (age, 32 years; body mass, 78.4 kg; height, 160 cm; resistance training experience, 15 years) ingested creatine (20 g.d(-1) for 5 days) during 2 bouts separated by a 30-day washout period. Muscle phosphocreatine was measured before and after supplementation. On day 1 of supplementation, blood samples were taken immediately before and hourly for 5 hours following ingestion of 5 g of creatine, and a pharmacokinetic analysis of plasma creatine was conducted. Twenty-four-hour urine collections were conducted before and for 5 days during supplementation. Muscle phosphocreatine increased 45% following the first supplementation bout, decreased 22% during the 30-day washout period, and increased 25% following the second bout. There were no meaningful differences in plasma creatine pharmacokinetic parameters between bouts 1 and 2. Total urine creatine losses during supplementation were 63.2 and 63.4 g during bouts 1 and 2, respectively. The major findings were that (a) a 30-day washout period is insufficient time for muscle phosphocreatine to return to baseline following creatine supplementation but is sufficient time for plasma and urine creatine levels to return to presupplementation values; (b) postsupplementation muscle phosphocreatine levels were similar following bouts 1 and 2 despite 23% higher presupplementation muscle phosphocreatine before bout 2; and (c) the increased muscle phosphocreatine that persisted throughout the 30-day washout period corresponded with maintenance of increased body mass (+2.0 kg). Athletes should be aware that the washout period for muscle creatine to return to baseline levels may be longer than 30 days in some individuals, and this may be accompanied by a persistent increase in body mass.
That is not the quote in my book.lol

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
just for $hits and giggles it says (book) That a study from The Victoria University's Center for Rehabilitation, Exercise and Sports Science conducted a similar experiment. With Whey protein and Creatine together. http://www.the-aps.org/press/conference/eb03/12.htm <This one I found and I'm actually a lil shocked with the great results from the WHE/CRE combo

stonhous35

Awards
haha agreed with you on that, unlike somepeople these two mooks dont have lives and sit here studyin forum posts and not real reasearch. i have better things to do then to argue with "broscientist"