How many of you guys take HMB??

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
Looking for ppl that take it and their exp with it....

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't used it since it first came out back in the mid 90's by EAS...didn't do a whole lot for me, except make me ~$400 lighter (by the time all was said and done)...have read that Nisslen(IA state univ) never released the patent on it and the HMB that is sold now isn't the studied form...? not sure...but think I've read maybe 1-2 reviews of people liking it over the last 1-2 years & the rest not noticing anything....I did see that holman/lawson (Ironman mag) have recently added it to their supp regime...for what that's worth....

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
in the 2nd of the last issue of muscluar development there's a 4 page article raving about how many benefits it provides. Ive also looked up several studies, all having good feedback. but i dont really see anyone taking the stuff, its not that popular and I wonder why......????

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At standard dosing, meh.

Mega-dosed with bulk powder at 10g/day is a different story, though.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At standard dosing, meh.

Mega-dosed with bulk powder at 10g/day is a different story, though.
with the help of google...Looks like NP used to carry some bulk HMB too....you see some LBM gains at 10g/day?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I remember correctly bioavailability is an issue. It's a leucine metabolite. Same as HICA.

Take more leucine. Profit.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
in the 2nd of the last issue of muscluar development there's a 4 page article raving about how many benefits it provides. Ive also looked up several studies, all having good feedback. but i dont really see anyone taking the stuff, its not that popular and I wonder why......????
I'd be pretty leery of judging supplements based off "articles" like that. Most of the time those magazines are basically one giant advertisement and you can bet they aren't saying anything too negative about the companies whose supplements line their pockets.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
MD isnt like the other ones. It much more geared towards anabolics, research articles, testing, etc. Not saying there's no muscle tech ads but its the only fitness mag Il buy

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There was a paper on HMB recently in JSC claiming no benefits, but apparently the HMB product they used didn't actually contain any of it when evaluated by HPLC.

Personally, I'll stick with leucine.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You can buy HMB, or spend 1/10 the price and get SNS Leucine

festus

festus

Awards
I haven't used it since it first came out back in the mid 90's by EAS...didn't do a whole lot for me, except make me ~$400 lighter (by the time all was said and done)...have read that Nisslen(IA state univ) never released the patent on it and the HMB that is sold now isn't the studied form...? not sure...but think I've read maybe 1-2 reviews of people liking it over the last 1-2 years & the rest not noticing anything....I did see that holman/lawson (Ironman mag) have recently added it to their supp regime...for what that's worth....
I did the EAS version, also. I took more than the recommended dosage and never really got anything out of it. You'd think I might get a placebo effect, b/c I really believed it was going to work, but, nothing. I find it interesting that some supplemental nutrition drinks(like Ensure, I think), are putting it in their formulation to preserve muscle. Hmmm....

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tried it a long time ago and saw nothing from it. EAS was the big pusher of it back in the day, but their claims were a bit silly.

pero

Awards
i'm pretty satisfied with HMB, especially while going low carb. I've noticed my muscles (especially legs) look fuller, have more volume, as opposed to the last time I drastically reduced carbs (i was flat just after a few training sessions). +I can get away with more volume on training days and still have a very pleasant pump with just a few small amount of carbs daily. and the intra-set regeneration is on a higher level, which is great

generally speaking, one needs true HMB (there's a lot of fake powders with just the lowest testing standards (faked), mostly from china), best in powder form and the right dosages. I use 3-4g with 15g EAA prior and during workouts, and 2-3g with my pwo. one could also do pulses of BCAA+HMB inbetween meals and first thing in the morning to spike MPS levels. HMB works best in conjunction with free form leucine (one would need 200+g of leucine for the body to generate some effeicient amounts of HMB on its own)

my 2 cents

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can buy HMB, or spend 1/10 the price and get SNS Leucine
I would also second this ^^ sir....

I did the EAS version, also. I took more than the recommended dosage and never really got anything out of it. You'd think I might get a placebo effect, b/c I really believed it was going to work, but, nothing. I find it interesting that some supplemental nutrition drinks(like Ensure, I think), are putting it in their formulation to preserve muscle. Hmmm....
pacebo effect, no joke, but same here, nothing for me either...and I recall Phillips was also stressing that it was important that when using it, to fully get the benefits of it, to really emphasis the negative portion of the lift...

Tried it a long time ago and saw nothing from it. EAS was the big pusher of it back in the day, but their claims were a bit silly.
what....'feels like Deca', silly? Not at all....wait, brb... :friday: