Prop blends - We NEED your feedback! - AnabolicMinds.com

Prop blends - We NEED your feedback!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Prop blends - We NEED your feedback!

I wanted to address the issue, or idea rather of proprietary blends and see what everyone here on Anabolic Minds feels towards them.

With the success of the PES line up, we are quickly seeing large mega-marketing mainstream companies source our materials and attempt to copy our products. As you all know PES is very young and very innovative, and we have not used any prop blends. What this has caused though is other companies to do ZERO research and development at all, and call up a supplier and instantly rip off our hard work.

Certain things cannot be copied, like AnaBeta where we use a specific extraction. But other things like Higenamine can be be instantly ripped off. An ingredient we brought to the market and spent forever researching. You may remember how old the Beta Stim thread is for instance. That was on the tail end of our research and development.

I know proprietary blends are used for companies to hide simple formulas and no one is a fan of that. But when it comes to innovative ingredients and formulas, how do small innovative companies bringing new ideas and ingredients to the industry get protection?

I know the audience loves no Prop blends. The prop blend is the only solution to copy cats for a small company and innovative company. In order for PES to grow and service a large client base and keep our cost down without copy cats ripping into our ideas, how do we grow?

Do we spend tons of money and enter mega marketing campaigns to compete with them and drive up the cost of our products to YOU?

I am not speaking for just PES, but all innovative companies who are not in the position to instantly mega-market their innovative products. These massive companies ripping off small companies will put the small companies out of business and will leave NO INNOVATION in the industry.

Where does the line get drawn? Do we continue with no proprietary blends and let the huge companies rip us off? Or do we move to a proprietary blend to protect our ideas and innovation?

Nothing is set in stone here, I am just looking for opinions.

We have a lot of innovation in the future and with the way things have been going we would hate to see the hours we spend every day researching and testing over and over get instantly ripped off.

Obviously a proprietary blend would never be used in our products when the ingredients we use are well known...we are talking about new ingredients
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You've earned enough trust and goodwill among your customer base. I see a prop blend with you guys a lot differently than I would say if it were a company like Gaspari, who had undetectable/insignificant amounts of Turk in their original preworkout Super Pump, yet still had it listed on the label and used in their marketing. My vote would be to go for the prop blend, at least you've earned it.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

I'll still buy and recommend your company no problem.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sounds like Natty has some internal conflict going on!
    The Historic PES Legend
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It's a double-edged sword. I personally don't mind prop blends unless there are 4572654752487 ingredients in a 1500mg serving.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've generally not had any issues regarding the use of prop blends overall (from companies I trust) and understand that it does protect a company from the rip off's (even though as a consumer, that means I could save a few $)....but I'd really like to see a company such as PES survive/thrive and put more effective supps out there than me save a few $...so, prop n blend Natty!
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

agreed it is a double edged sword. utlimately whether or not it is a prop blend, if the feedback isn't good who would use it?
  8. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

We would never use a prop blend to sneak in ingredients at ineffective doses. We would only include an ingredient if it was in there at the full and effective dose, like our line is now.

Appreciating the feedback thus far
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

I would support Prop blends.

You must however consider the risk factors. Look at Lucky charms, Bush baked beans, they use prop blend to their advantage its good marketing. On the flip side unless there is complete disclosure there are sure to be skeptics, bashers and those who persist they know what it is they are putting into their body.

Having the product mfg in a GMP approved facility also helps
  10. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by scoooter View Post
    I would support Prop blends.

You must however consider the risk factors. Look at Lucky charms, Bush baked beans, they use prop blend to their advantage its good marketing. On the flip side unless there is complete disclosure there are sure to be skeptics, bashers and those who persist they know what it is they are putting into their body.

Having the product mfg in a GMP approved facility also helps
    The Historic PES Legend
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    I wanted to address the issue, or idea rather of proprietary blends and see what everyone here on Anabolic Minds feels towards them.

With the success of the PES line up, we are quickly seeing large mega-marketing mainstream companies source our materials and attempt to copy our products. As you all know PES is very young and very innovative, and we have not used any prop blends. What this has caused though is other companies to do ZERO research and development at all, and call up a supplier and instantly rip off our hard work.

Certain things cannot be copied, like AnaBeta where we use a specific extraction. But other things like Higenamine can be be instantly ripped off. An ingredient we brought to the market and spent forever researching. You may remember how old the Beta Stim thread is for instance. That was on the tail end of our research and development.

I know proprietary blends are used for companies to hide simple formulas and no one is a fan of that. But when it comes to innovative ingredients and formulas, how do small innovative companies bringing new ideas and ingredients to the industry get protection?

I know the audience loves no Prop blends. The prop blend is the only solution to copy cats for a small company and innovative company. In order for PES to grow and service a large client base and keep our cost down without copy cats ripping into our ideas, how do we grow?

Do we spend tons of money and enter mega marketing campaigns to compete with them and drive up the cost of our products to YOU?

I am not speaking for just PES, but all innovative companies who are not in the position to instantly mega-market their innovative products. These massive companies ripping off small companies will put the small companies out of business and will leave NO INNOVATION in the industry.

Where does the line get drawn? Do we continue with no proprietary blends and let the huge companies rip us off? Or do we move to a proprietary blend to protect our ideas and innovation?

Nothing is set in stone here, I am just looking for opinions.

We have a lot of innovation in the future and with the way things have been going we would hate to see the hours we spend every day researching and testing over and over get instantly ripped off.

Obviously a proprietary blend would never be used in our products when the ingredients we use are well known...we are talking about new ingredients
    Interesting- and I deal with this quite a bit when formulating product. We get copied quite a bit on concepts and ingredients- we don't have the marketing of some of the bigger companies- and the strength of our line is in our formulations. People don't like proprietary blends, but in the situation you are describing, they are almost a necessary evil. Even if something is a proprietary blend, it doesn't mean that I researched it any less. Product research in my company is normally a 6-12 month process, and it involves multiple facets:
    1. Ingredient effectiveness
    2. Sound and/or complimentary MOA for each ingredient
    3. Production feasibility- most companies that use a contract mfr. don't realize that 50% of a formulation is actually getting the product to run on high-speed machinery- that is an innovative process in itself, especially with many herbals
    4. Blood testing- paramount- best way to find out if a product is working correctly
    5. Testing different versions on subjects- also paramount- a lot of stuff looks good on paper, but yield no results
    6. A good technical working explanation of the product- ours are usually 15-25 pages long, and give the consumer an education as to why and how the product works- most tech write-ups I see are a couple paragraphs

Basically the point I am trying to make is that there is no shame in proprietary blends, as long as they make sense and are well-researched. By well-researched, I mean by performing all of the above steps, and then figuring out where to source certain ingredients (can be hard)...

Having to file an NDI with every new ingredient may make this a moot point. We filed an NDI app with the FDA with an ingredient (Androst-3,5-dien-7,17-dione or 3, 7-Keto DHEA) in Free Test Mid-February 2010, and it was refused. While we went ahead and used it in the product, my main concern is that it may be a moot point in the future. New ingredients are getting tougher and tougher to actually get into larger vendors, as compliance is getting very strict. The industry has changed a lot in the last 3 years in terms of expectations regarding compliance, claims, consumer safety- and I am glad that it has.
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

We would never use a prop blend to sneak in ingredients at ineffective doses. We would only include an ingredient if it was in there at the full and effective dose, like our line is now.

Appreciating the feedback thus far

based on the reviews for your products - truthfully I would still be getting ready to buy Erase whether it is a prop blend or not.
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

You're a company I certainly trust well enough and the products you have already released earn you the credibility to go prop. blend and still have my support. In general, I don't mind prop. blends as long as they make sense (like Rodja pointed out, not seeing a TON of ingredients in there). There are certain things, like caffeine and 1,3 dimeth that I prefer to know exactly how much I'm taking in, but outside of that, I don't see much of a problem with it. I think you deserve to to do that to avoid being copied.

I'll still buy PES products, prop. blend or not, until the day I find one that doesn't work.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

PES has certainly earned my trust to use prop-blends and still use their products
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  15. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Appreciate it guys. Again this does not mean you are going to suddenly see prop blends left and right. The only reason we would consider using a blend would be to protect our innovation and research...and we are just getting a feel for everyones opinion
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i feel like if the company is an established, reliable company like PES, i dont see a prob with them. this prevents other companies or people from stealing your formula. again, only if its a reliable company that people know their products work. and PES products work!
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Dirk hit it spot on

18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I agree with lots of everyone else here on the board that PES has earned my trust that if they made a prop blend to protect themselves I would still buy their products. Cause every PES product i have used has worked which is every product besides Anabeta haven't tried it yet. So i say in the interest of protecting yourself go for it. We want to see companies like PES stay around bringing innovative products to the table.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  160 lbs.

You guys(PES) and other companies(Athletix) came out the gate with no prop blends and every product as been successful.You guys have given us products that are effective,no bs, and at a cost everyone can afford. That is great business practice. You have a loyal customer base and you've won the trust from us. If you go prop blend, we will stand by you and hold you to a standard of excellent products that work as we do now.
  20. BBB
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Nobody likes proprietary blends but "bottomline", if it works they will come.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  206 lbs.

I agree PES has earned enough good will for me to buy their products even if they are prop blends, however I would of course still prefer it not to
    Check my AnaBeta, Erase and DAA log at:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/178490-anabeta-erase-daa.html
  22. New Member

Cant other companies just do chemical analysis to reverse engineer the product?
  23. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It is really hard to do with herbals- you need to have a decent standard, and many of the newer herbals do not have any decent/replicable standards. Plus, many different chemical fractions exist even within the same types of herbals, depending on the extraction, so it is hard to differentiate what the active substrate is. You would also need to have an HPLC, Mass Spec, or NMR, and someone who knows what they are looking at/for
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    It is really hard to do with herbals- you need to have a decent standard, and many of the newer herbals do not have any decent/replicable standards. Plus, many different chemical fractions exist even within the same types of herbals, depending on the extraction, so it is hard to differentiate what the active substrate is. You would also need to have an HPLC, Mass Spec, or NMR, and someone who knows what they are looking at/for
    reminds me of divinex
  25. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent View Post
    Cant other companies just do chemical analysis to reverse engineer the product?
    It is near impossible. The time and money one would have to do to only "possibly" get it right would not be worth it

Time would be better spent doing research and development of their own. But that might make too much sense
  26. New Member

I think, even if good ideas are ripped off, people will stick with the original and best in most cases anyway.
  27. New Member

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying, even though I have not been fortunate enough (yet) to try any of the PES lineup I've only heard great things. When you build a solid reputation like PES has, with great products and prices, and upfront ingredients, you build a consumer base that is trusting and loyal. If you guys continue to put out great prooducts, prop blends or not people will still continue to go for PES.
  28. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Nobody likes proprietary blends but "bottomline", if it works they will come.

i am on record as being opposed to prop blends....would i rather see pes able to reap rewards without them....YES.

but if pes is feeling the pinch on R@D dollars, and the difference between more great products or not is prop blends then i would have to cave, and say i want more pes!!!!!
    BPS REP-DERMACRINE/ENDOSURGE....COMBUSTION/DCP 2.0
  29. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    i am on record as being opposed to prop blends....would i rather see pes able to reap rewards without them....YES.but if pes is feeling the pinch on R@D dollars, and the difference between more great products or not is prop blends then i would have to cave, and say i want more pes!!!!!
    I have been anxiously awaiting your opinion sir
  30. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have been anxiously awaiting your opinion sir
    i try to keep an open mind.

i am willing to live with prop blends if it means more great pes products.

i say go for it!
  31. AI Sports Nutrition

I have used PES products and think very highly of them. I would have no problem using a prop blend from you guys.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I'm very conflicted on this. First off I trust PES and don't think they would use prop blends as SOME other companies do which is to hide the amount of what is in something and probably increase profit. Would I buy PES products if they used prop blends? Yes, (as someone else already said) unless they give me a reason not to.

That said I appreciate companies that don't use prop blends, and am more likely to purchase products from them. A big part of me thinks I have a right to know exactly what (and how much) of something I'm putting into my body. So I'm always going to be in favor of companies shying away from that route and I'm always going to applaud (and support with my dollars if possible) the companies that allow me to know how what I'm putting into my body. I think I have a right to that, yet I understand the position some companies come from.

That said, does it REALLY provide that much of a mystery especially when using a small amount of ingredients? I'm just curious. If Alpha T2 was a prop blend would it not be 354 mgs of 3,3' -diiodo-l-thyronine, Rauwolscine HCl, and Higenamine? I just don't see what is to keep "stealing company A" from experimenting around a bit and figuring something quite close just based on that, but perhaps I miss something.

Bottom line is I'll support quality companies like PES until they give me a reason not to. We would all love to see no prop blends, but if your products continue to work I will continue to support them....but I'm always going to think it is my right to know what I'm putting in my body.
  33. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by seccsi View Post
    I'm very conflicted on this. First off I trust PES and don't think they would use prop blends as SOME other companies do which is to hide the amount of what is in something and probably increase profit. Would I buy PES products if they used prop blends? Yes, (as someone else already said) unless they give me a reason not to.

That said I appreciate companies that don't use prop blends, and am more likely to purchase products from them. A big part of me thinks I have a right to know exactly what (and how much) of something I'm putting into my body. So I'm always going to be in favor of companies shying away from that route and I'm always going to applaud (and support with my dollars if possible) the companies that allow me to know how what I'm putting into my body. I think I have a right to that, yet I understand the position some companies come from.

That said, does it REALLY provide that much of a mystery especially when using a small amount of ingredients? I'm just curious. If Alpha T2 was a prop blend would it not be 354 mgs of 3,3' -diiodo-l-thyronine, Rauwolscine HCl, and Higenamine? I just don't see what is to keep "stealing company A" from experimenting around a bit and figuring something quite close just based on that, but perhaps I miss something.

Bottom line is I'll support quality companies like PES until they give me a reason not to. We would all love to see no prop blends, but if your products continue to work I will continue to support them....but I'm always going to think it is my right to know what I'm putting in my body.

i feel the same about prop blends.....but if natty says it's necessary then i am going to support him on that.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    i feel the same about prop blends.....but if natty says it's necessary then i am going to support him on that.
    As will I...I tried to make that obvious from my post My "feelings" about prop blends won't ever change though.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

a prop blend to protect your product would be understood as long as their are not 40 things in a 1000mg blend. I think a prop blend would go a long way by both claiming and having tested true of at least certain amounts for a couple of the big things people look for like beta-alanine or creatine, etc... the rest could be proped without much bother I think
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

I would take a prop blend from a company that I trust over amounts listed by a company that I don't. In other words, if I don't trust the comapny, I don't believe what is on their label whether it is prop blend or they give each and every ingredient amount. PES has earned my respect and will continue to see my money.
  37. Banned

Do you guys really think prob blends are needed? No prob blend has always been one reason why i love PES products!!!!!!!! (same goes to **** and their products like Need2Slin and HCGenerate)
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Natty, has been upfront and honest since PES became sponsors here. There are many companies that I purchase specific products from, however, I would never delve into their entire line. I still don't trust them completely to give them all of my business. PES is among a handful of companies that I believe in 100% (reason: all of their products work...enough said) and would continue to stick with, as long as quality, research and effective measurable results remain their top priorities.
  39. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinMurder View Post
    I think, even if good ideas are ripped off, people will stick with the original and best in most cases anyway.
    you would think so, but sadly thats not always the case

40. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJo View Post
    Do you guys really think prob blends are needed? No prob blend has always been one reason why i love PES products!!!!!!!! (same goes to **** and their products like Need2Slin and HCGenerate)
    if you owned a company and didnt use a prob blend, and people started to copy your formulas, would you start using prop?

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nootropics Blends: Are they EXTINCT?
    By Force of Green in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 08:53 PM
  2. My Custom CC Blends
    By MuscleGuyinNY in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 10:51 AM