Cell study suggests creatine might weaken natural resistance

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Cell study suggests creatine might weaken natural resistance

Some strength athletes are convinced that they react badly to creatine. They fall ill more quickly when they use the most researched and most effective supplement to hit the market in the last twenty years. Are they imagining this? Perhaps not, cell studies done by immunologists at Creighton University suggest.

Toll-like receptors [TLRs] were the focus of the researchers' study, the results of which will be published soon in International Immunopharmacology. TLRs are receptors on the membrane of immune cells, which are capable of recognising pathogens. TLRs play an important role in the non-learning part of our immune system that we are born with, and they roll into action immediately when they discover pathogens or faulty substances produced by the body itself. This part of the immune system is also called the body's natural resistance.

Back in the seventies, researchers discovered that creatine has an anti-inflammatory effect. [Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1978 Feb; 231(2): 340-50.] The effect is so strong that researchers even attributed painkilling effect to creatine. If it weren't for the fact that creatine has been so well studied, you'd be forgiven for wondering whether the extra reps you manage on creatine were the result of its painkilling properties.

Because inflammation is closely bound up with the immune system, the immunologists at Creighton were curious to know whether creatine and its analogues have an effect on the immune system. They extracted macrophages from mice and exposed these in test tubes to creatine, creatinine and creatine ethyl ester. Macrophages are immune cells that fall under the natural resistance department. They literally gobble intruders up.

When the researchers added creatyl [CEE], creatine [CR] and creatinine [CRN] to the cells and waited 60 minutes, the production of the RNA for the TLRs decreased. The figure below shows the effect of the three analogues on the RNA for TLR-4. These are the instructions from the genetic material in the cells to make more TLR-4. At

Twenty and thirty minutes after being added, creatine ethyl ester boosts production, but this effect has worn off after 60 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I read several types of side effects from creatine but I don't think I can recall someone telling me it made them ill or made them fall ill.