Irvingia gabonensis

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The study done on the fat cells in a petri dish could be good, but I cannot count the number of studies I have read where something works in vitro and is then disproven in vivo. The study on humans looks good though.

I dont know if it is a triple threat....but im sure it does work in some way

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The study done on the fat cells in a petri dish could be good, but I cannot count the number of studies I have read where something works in vitro and is then disproven in vivo. The study on humans looks good though.

I dont know if it is a triple threat....but im sure it does work in some way
Interesting. So far Im not buying it as with my searches I cannot find a trustworthy standardized extract. I found "prop" blend that uses 150mg from more known companies such as futurbiotics, and then I find much cheaper formulas that I can get for $8 shipped that uses 1.2 grams of Mango notably by SBS Labs.

Im going to hold off for now until a better company comes out with a standardized extract or if I find one. Cant just trust any 3rd world country products even if their bottling is in the USA.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bump....anyone have experience with this type of product?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only company has a legit product but UNDERDOSED is LEF ;)

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have nothing to add...but wanted to say: I LOVE mango....

*that's all*

HealthBlitz

HealthBlitz

Awards
African mango (Irvingia gabonensis) has been on my "to do" list for awhile, not for weight loss, but for it's purported cholesterol/blood pressure benefits.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only company has a legit product but UNDERDOSED is LEF ;)
Found a new IG product available at a major supplement retail, unfortunately its a crazy prop blend so unkown amounts. Also it costs a atrocious $50 a bottle.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container 90
Amount Per Serving % DV
Mangodrin™ SF a proprietary blend of: 338.00 mg **
Folic Acid **
Apple Cider Vinegar **
Resveratrol **
Cissus Quadrangularis **
Green Tea (Decaffeinated) **
Pea **
Cyanocabalamin **
Irvingia Gabonensis **
Prydoxine HCl **
Cellulose SC-90

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doesn't a lean body formulations product contain this?
I dont think so, I just checked and couldnt find anything. I went to their website too and they are only listing 1 product so maybe they has one in the past and they are going through a transitional phase. They are named Enhanced Body Formulations now as well.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was just perusing medline on this because I thought I had previously looked into it and was unimpressed. However I noticed the following:

****ty journal but decent university:

Holist Nurs Pract. 2011 Jul-Aug;25(4):215-7.

African Mango (IGOB131): A Proprietary Seed Extract of Irvingia gabonensis is Found to Be Effective in Reducing Body Weight and Improving Metabolic Parameters in Overweight Humans.

Ross SM.

Source

College of Nursing and Health Professions, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

PMID: 21697664 [PubMed - in process]
Good for HDL, but ****ty university:

Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Mar 4;10:43.

Irvingia gabonensis fat: nutritional properties and effect of increasing amounts on the growth and lipid metabolism of young rats wistar sp.

Nangue TJ, Womeni HM, Mbiapo FT, Fanni J, Michel L.

Source

Laboratory of Food Sciences Nutrition and Medicinal Plant, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Dschang, P.O. BOX: 67, Cameroon. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Dietary saturated fatty acids (SFAs) are generally considered to increase plasma cholesterol. It has also been claimed that they increase cardio-vascular disease, although the claim that some of SFAs can increase HDL-cholesterol is poorly documented. Irvingia gabonensis kernels after being dried and crushed they are generally used to prepare a sticky and aromatic soup very much consumed in Cameroun and West Africa countries. This study was therefore aimed at evaluating the effects of dika nut fat on the growing and lipids metabolism of young rats.

METHOD:

For The nutritional evaluation related to the performances of growth and the analysis of increasing amounts of dika nut fat (0; 5.1; 7.34 and 13.48%) in young rats of wistar sp. The animals were taken individually out of metabolic cage for each ration 5 repetitions per sex (males and females) were carried out.

RESULTS:

The results obtained during the 3 weeks of treatment shows that the performances of consumption were positive. A highly significant increase (P<0.01) of serum cholesterol and triglycerides in the high dose fat groups (13.48%) of dika fat were observed compared to control groups. However, this rise of cholesterol is due to that of HDL-cholesterol without any change in the quantity of LDL-Receptor. In parallel, the weight of the vital organ did not vary much compared to control, except for males where we observed a significantly reduction (P<0.01) in the weight of the liver for the three diet tests.

CONCLUSION:

This study shows that the increasing amount of dika nut fat alter significantly cholesterol and triglyceride at high dose diet, but also increase HDL-cholesterol.

© 2011 Nangue et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.

PMID: 21375740 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC3060135
Little meta analysis, good journal, good university:

J Obes. 2011;2011. pii: 297315. Epub 2010 Aug 10.

An evidence-based review of fat modifying supplemental weight loss products.

Egras AM, Hamilton WR, Lenz TL, Monaghan MS.

Source

Department of Pharmacy Practice, Jefferson School of Pharmacy, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5233, USA.

Abstract

Objective. To review the literature on fat modifying dietary supplements commonly used for weight loss. Methods. Recently published randomized, placebo-controlled trials were identified in PubMed, MEDLINE, International Pharmaceutical Abstracts, Cochrane Database, and Google Scholar using the search terms dietary supplement, herbal, weight loss, obesity, and individual supplement names. Discussion. Data for conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), Garcinia cambogia, chitosan, pyruvate, Irvingia gabonensis, and chia seed for weight loss were identified. CLA, chitosan, pyruvate, and Irvingia gabonensis appeared to be effective in weight loss via fat modifying mechanisms. However, the data on the use of these products is limited. Conclusion. Many obese people use dietary supplements for weight loss. To date, there is little clinical evidence to support their use. More data is necessary to determine the efficacy and safety of these supplements. Healthcare providers should assist patients in weighing the risks and benefits of dietary supplement use for weight loss.

PMID: 20847896 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC2931392

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks interesting. but I would think if it actually performed well it would be in more products? I'm subbed to learn more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MAxximal Supplements 15
MAxximal Supplements 25
bkprice Supplements 10