L-Tryptophan vs. Theanine

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
For the purpose of calming, anxiety, and mood enhancement, is there a different effect between 500mg of L-Tryptophan 500mg and 200-400mg of Theanine?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
For the purpose of calming, anxiety, and mood enhancement, is there a different effect between 500mg of L-Tryptophan 500mg and 200-400mg of Theanine?
For your question, I'd go with theanine.

However, in my experiences, Picamilon is the best of the 3 for the categories you mentioned.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I bet if you went and took 1000mg theanine right now you would not feel a single thing from it. That was my experience at least

High dose tryptophan just make you tired...5-HTP is supposed to be more mood enhancing than tryptophan

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
So you didn't find theanine to be at all effective?

As for tryptophan, what effect does a low dosage have say around 500mg? Calming/Relaxed?

I bet if you went and took 1000mg theanine right now you would not feel a single thing from it. That was my experience at least

High dose tryptophan just make you tired...5-HTP is supposed to be more mood enhancing than tryptophan

redrobe

Awards
different reactions for different people. I take 400mg theanine with 700mg passion flower extract and feel a pronounced reduction in anxiety. One thing I like about it is that I feel my heart and lungs relax a bit. When anxiety kicks in a cycle starts to happen where your body and mind take turns saying, "something is not right here," so you need to calm one of them down to break the cycle. That's why deep breathing is used, because you take control of your lungs and your lungs tell your mind, "look we're fine down here, nothing to worry about up there."

I've never tried theanine alone so maybe it works best when stacked with another calming herb?

redrobe

Awards
by the way, I use the NOW brand. i've got a performance today so I will definitely be taking these supplements beforehand.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Never heard of it before, but just looked up Nature's Answer Passionflower Standardized, 60-Count which are 250mg 3.5%-4% extract caps for $5.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
ive taken 2000mg theanine, it didnt do anything but make me tired.... and i could fock for hours.....:banana:

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
400mg of L-Theanine for me works wonders to calm and relax me as does 1000mg valarian root.

Mike

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Do you combine Theanine with valarian root?

Valarian Root more effective than Passionflower?

400mg of L-Theanine for me works wonders to calm and relax me as does 1000mg valarian root.

Mike

redrobe

Awards
Do you combine Theanine with valarian root?

Valarian Root more effective than Passionflower?
I have not tried this combo but I started experimenting with Theanine and Passion Flower Extract because I was looking for an alternative to prescription anxiety meds. I read some forums and read good reviews of Seredyn, which I looked up and is just a combo pill with theanine, passion flower, and valerian. I skipped the valerian because I was worried it would make me drowsy since it's used for sleep aids so often.

I've gotten enough of a benefit from 400mg theanine+750mg Passion Flower Extract that I didn't bother adding in Valerian.

I have recently started experimenting with sleep aids due to bad insomnia this last month. I use Valerian+Tryptophan+a small dose of melatonin. Seems to be working well. I've gone from 3-4 crappy hours of sleep to 5-6 decent hours. Only tried it for 3 nights so far but I'm a fan.

ScienceGuided

Awards
  • Established
Theanine is very good.200-300mg should be more then enough.Has many benefits, I like taking it at night as it helps wind down from taking a lot of Stims during The day/evePicamilon has a subtle energizing effectsWith that being said theanine+caff is one simple but effective cognitive stack1 cap SNS caff cap+100-200mg theanine powder is fantasticHope this helped some

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Seems a dosage of around 400-800 mg of Theanine is effective. Possibly add in 1-2g of Phenibut.