Egg White v. Whey Protein

acwingfoot

Awards
As I have researched, this topic is debatable. But looking for some advice or .02 regarding Egg White Protein v. Whey protein. I like to stick to a whole food diet as much as possible - but is swaping out Whey for Egg protein really that big of a difference. Has anyone seen any noticable differences or changes when going to Egg White Protein Powder..? I like the fact that the fats and carbs are 0 in the specific brand I buy. The taste is OK, nothing near a few whey proteins i have had - been defintely still enjoyable.

Just looking for some .02, advice, experience, etc.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
As I have researched, this topic is debatable. But looking for some advice or .02 regarding Egg White Protein v. Whey protein. I like to stick to a whole food diet as much as possible - but is swaping out Whey for Egg protein really that big of a difference. Has anyone seen any noticable differences or changes when going to Egg White Protein Powder..? I like the fact that the fats and carbs are 0 in the specific brand I buy. The taste is OK, nothing near a few whey proteins i have had - been defintely still enjoyable.

Just looking for some .02, advice, experience, etc.
You will literally notice zero difference in body composition between the 2 products.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
You will literally notice zero difference in body composition between the 2 products.
Even if your using it multiple times a day? I believe if a product even makes a 5% difference in a year that is still 5%. Whey and egg protein have there own place and time. I would say between meals eggs but first thing in the morning or post-workout whey.

Check out:
Whey to build Muscle or Premium blend by MuscleFeast

For egg white:
Rose Acre Egg whites

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Even if your using it multiple times a day? I believe if a product even makes a 5% difference in a year that is still 5%. Whey and egg protein have there own place and time. I would say between meals eggs but first thing in the morning or post-workout whey.

Check out:
Whey to build Muscle or Premium blend by MuscleFeast

For egg white:
Rose Acre Egg whites
There is no place and time for different protein sources. There will not be a 5% difference. There will be a 0% difference, unless OP is consuming 50g total protein a day, in which case the BV comes into play.

Nutrient timing is irrelevant, so the speed of absorption is also irrelevant.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
There is no place and time for different protein sources. There will not be a 5% difference. There will be a 0% difference, unless OP is consuming 50g total protein a day, in which case the BV comes into play.

Nutrient timing is irrelevant, so the speed of absorption is also irrelevant.
Dat would bash you if he was here...

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Coop on this one. Leangains.com is a great site. OP, if you haven't checked it out, please do so. It has opened a lot of people's minds and dispels a lot of broscience found on so many boards.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only reason I use egg white protein in contest preps is to have a switch from whey isolate since both are virtually ALMOST zero fat/zero cabs. Never noticed a difference though between whey and egg.

Mike

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eating carbs late will cause fat gains...Its common sense and its proven

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Eating carbs late will cause fat gains...Its common sense and its proven
Notsureifsrs. It is both DISproven and it is in no way common sense. Overall energy balance, on a day to day, week to week basis will determine fat storage. You realize there are two other macronutrients that also have possess energy in their monomer forms...

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am with Cooper all the way in this thread.

halfhuman, I am curious as to who proved that?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I skimmed an article in the paper (Star Telegram) yesterday that the potato (and it's various forms, baked, fried, etc) is responsible for causing more obesity in the US than drinking sodas, eating candy...etc, due to its rapid absorbtion, packing a lot of calories & some other things...a study that followed something like thousands of people over a 12 year period....anyone else see that same article? Seemed like they were really trying to demonize the spud all the way around...

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I skimmed an article in the paper (Star Telegram) yesterday that the potato (and it's various forms, baked, fried, etc) is responsible for causing more obesity in the US than drinking sodas, eating candy...etc, due to its rapid absorbtion, packing a lot of calories & some other things...a study that followed something like thousands of people over a 12 year period....anyone else see that same article? Seemed like they were really trying to demonize the spud all the way around...
Looks like it's time to start adding more potatoes to my diet.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like it's time to start adding more potatoes to my diet.
no joke! One of my food fetishes the last few months are baked potato fries, prolly eat the equivalent of 3-4 potatoes in one sitting...uh-ohhhh...

Dahollow

Awards
Cooked sweet potato versus chips... Blame it on the potato...

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Cooked sweet potato versus chips... Blame it on the potato...
Speaking of, I had sweet potato fries at Friday's and they were incredible.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Notsureifsrs. It is both DISproven and it is in no way common sense. Overall energy balance, on a day to day, week to week basis will determine fat storage. You realize there are two other macronutrients that also have possess energy in their monomer forms...
agreed as well

OP, they are both good forms of protein, they just have a slight difference in amino acid profiles such as 2% (I believe) higher leucine content for whey then egg, but not enough difference to alter body composition.