how much hawthorne berry to lower BP?

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, sorry, i tried doing some research on this but i found such so many differing answers from health websites, i figured id ask you guys who may have more personal experiences with it. a few years ago my BP shot up like 20 points higher than it normally was, but even at 140/90 my doctor said he wanted to wait before putting me on meds, so i tried to make some lifestyle changes (especially with regard to food/sodium intake). last time i checked, it was like 124/80 which i was happy about, however, recently its been in the lower 130's/the lower 80's, which is surprising because ive cut my alcohol intake by about 50% or more, upped my cardio, and have been trying to eat even cleaner. i would say it could be the PWO's i take (super charge extreme), but im 99% sure i was in the middle of a tub of white flood last time i checked it when it was normal.

ive got 2 bottles of hawthorne berry sitting in my cabinet, and i was just wondering how much i should take to try and get it back in the lower 120's. i figured some of you guys might know best from personal experiences with cycle supports, etc. does this stuff really make much of a difference? and if so, at what dosage?

ScienceGuided

Awards
  • Established
1,000mg should work well to lower it some. Serious cases you need to see your doc if course

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would look into celery seed extract at 75mg twice a day; far superior to hawthorn berry imo as it mimics a calcium channel blocker and mild diuretic to lower arterial pressures.

Mike

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive got 2 bottles of hawthorne berry sitting in my cabinet, and i was just wondering how much i should take to try and get it back in the lower 120's. i figured some of you guys might know best from personal experiences with cycle supports, etc. does this stuff really make much of a difference? and if so, at what dosage?
Try 3g a day with meals, spread over 3 doses:
Dose 1 - 1g with breakfast
Dose 2 - 1g with lunch
Dose 3 - 1g with dinner

~Rosie~

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the help, everyone. since my doc said he didnt want to put me on meds yet even when it was at 139/90 (he said thats pretty much the cutoff as to when he opts for a prescription), and its now in the lower 130's/80's i figured its up to me to try and get it where i want it (lower 120's)..... rosie - i read earlier that you shouldnt take more than 1,800mg a day, so is it safe to be taking almost twice that at 3,000?

i guess the '1-2 caps daily' at 250mg suggested on the label hasnt been doing too much, haha.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks for the help, everyone. since my doc said he didnt want to put me on meds yet even when it was at 139/90 (he said thats pretty much the cutoff as to when he opts for a prescription), and its now in the lower 130's/80's i figured its up to me to try and get it where i want it (lower 120's)..... rosie - i read earlier that you shouldnt take more than 1,800mg a day, so is it safe to be taking almost twice that at 3,000?

i guess the '1-2 caps daily' at 250mg suggested on the label hasnt been doing too much, haha.
You can lower blood pressure with nutritional (i.e less sodium, more fluids, etc.) and physical activity (i.e. increasing fitness, etc.) changes. There is no need to always resort to medication unless you have severe hypertension and/or other conditions that are affected by it (i.e. diabetes, etc.), and even then, you can work on controlling it with minimal medication - especially if you only have high normal blood pressure, bordering on becoming hypertension.

~3g is recommended for those on a hormonal cycle. In saying that, everyone is different, and could do anywhere from 1-3g. Even though you're not doing a hormonal cycle, there is nothing wrong with using 3g a day, and if you have high normal blood pressure, then I recommend it.

~Rosie~

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
yeah, like i was saying, its kind of weird that my bp has actually gone UP close to 10 points since ive cut alcohol consumption and upped cardio, but maybe its just everyday stressors right now. im going to have it checked again next week, so hopefully it will be back down in the 120's.

thanks a lot for the help!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, like i was saying, its kind of weird that my bp has actually gone UP close to 10 points since ive cut alcohol consumption and upped cardio, but maybe its just everyday stressors right now. im going to have it checked again next week, so hopefully it will be back down in the 120's.

thanks a lot for the help!
If you have your blood pressure taken at any time other than first thing or after you have been sedentary for a while, it is going to be elevated slightly, simply because even movement like walking around can raise blood pressure. But, all the best in dropping it, regardless.

No worries :)

~Rosie~

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Great info on here! Does CEL pct assist have hawthorne berry in it?

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would look into celery seed extract at 75mg twice a day; far superior to hawthorn berry imo as it mimics a calcium channel blocker and mild diuretic to lower arterial pressures.

Mike
^^^^

not sure why everyone overlooked this post :p

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
^^^^

not sure why everyone overlooked this post :p
me either??? gonna take a look at celery seed extract, mike usually gives some good info!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
me either??? gonna take a look at celery seed extract, mike usually gives some good info!
Haha thanks. I previously worked on a cardiac ICU step down and almost all, if not all of my patients had some degree of hypertension. Now OP, a pressure of 130/90 is not horrible, and many physicians will not medicate for that; hell some won't even mention anything to you at all. There has been some studies done I've heard physicians talk about that pressures of 110/70 is no better for your cardiac and renal systems, than a pressure of 140/90; if I recall from the regional heart lecture I attended, they were stating that our cardiac and renal systems have the ability to with stand systolic pressures between 90-140 without being hypo or hyper perfused in terms of pressures. It's when pressures go above 140 and the left ventricle must pump with to much force that leads to ventricular hypertrophy, and under 90 when the renal system becomes hypo-perfused leading to the onset of pre-renal failure.

OP, with that being said, the standard recognized in America and by most physicians is the lower the BP, the better so disregard what I said above as I am not a physician, just a nurse who attended a lecture ran by some top cardiologists on new research in the north east in order to obtain continuing education credits. I also stated that, because it seems as if you feel you must take drastic measures because your systolic is 130, which truly is not that high. Your mean arterial pressure is much more significant, the measure between your systolic and diastolic, and yours is not horrible by any means.

Working on the unit I did, many patients wanted to come off of there bp meds when they were stabilized around 120/80 for years. They did not enjoy the side effects of beta's blockers, ARBs, ACE's, etc. Hawthorn berry was never mentioned by physicians, but many encouraged there patients to start celery seed extract, and would taper there prescribed med down. Many were successful in stopping there medication and staying on 150mg celery seed extract. I would personally take a look into that.

Like I said, I am not a physician and am only encouraging you to lower your bp within normal range via natural remedies.

Mike

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Mike
Interesting... I admittedly don't know much about celery seed extract. Will have to do some research for sure.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Interesting... I admittedly don't know much about celery seed extract. Will have to do some research for sure.
for sure-for years i have though that hb was the gold standard.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Haha thanks. I previously worked on a cardiac ICU step down and almost all, if not all of my patients had some degree of hypertension. Now OP, a pressure of 130/90 is not horrible, and many physicians will not medicate for that; hell some won't even mention anything to you at all. There has been some studies done I've heard physicians talk about that pressures of 110/70 is no better for your cardiac and renal systems, than a pressure of 140/90; if I recall from the regional heart lecture I attended, they were stating that our cardiac and renal systems have the ability to with stand systolic pressures between 90-140 without being hypo or hyper perfused in terms of pressures. It's when pressures go above 140 and the left ventricle must pump with to much force that leads to ventricular hypertrophy, and under 90 when the renal system becomes hypo-perfused leading to the onset of pre-renal failure.

OP, with that being said, the standard recognized in America and by most physicians is the lower the BP, the better so disregard what I said above as I am not a physician, just a nurse who attended a lecture ran by some top cardiologists on new research in the north east in order to obtain continuing education credits. I also stated that, because it seems as if you feel you must take drastic measures because your systolic is 130, which truly is not that high. Your mean arterial pressure is much more significant, the measure between your systolic and diastolic, and yours is not horrible by any means.

Working on the unit I did, many patients wanted to come off of there bp meds when they were stabilized around 120/80 for years. They did not enjoy the side effects of beta's blockers, ARBs, ACE's, etc. Hawthorn berry was never mentioned by physicians, but many encouraged there patients to start celery seed extract, and would taper there prescribed med down. Many were successful in stopping there medication and staying on 150mg celery seed extract. I would personally take a look into that.

Like I said, I am not a physician and am only encouraging you to lower your bp within normal range via natural remedies.

Mike
great post.

chaser103

Awards
Mr. Mike...you have been repped! Very good information

darilt

Awards

Mike

Mike,

You must distinguish between there and their. Both mean very different things.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mike,

You must distinguish between there and their. Both mean very different things.
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion!

Mike, thanks for the celery seed extract tip. I am gonna see if I can find anything to support. I have always relayed on hawthorn berry for BP

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SPOT ON!

Badd azz post ;)

Mike

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established