Red Yeast Rice confusion - AnabolicMinds.com

Red Yeast Rice confusion

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.

Red Yeast Rice confusion

Just picked up a couple of bottles of RYR for sale at my local CVS. Hadn't done a whole lot of research before then, and started doing some reading up on itn when I got home. From what I can tell, the RYR that is manufactured today doesn't do jack for lowering LDL levels. Apparently, the FDA has required companies to remove the ingredient (lovastatin) that was a naturally occurring statin in RYR. However, there are still plenty of references to RYR and its ability to lower LDL levels. Is there another component of RYR that can still lower LDL levels?

What's the scoop? Did I waste my money ($12 for 240 capsules)?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

From my understanding monacolin K is the ingredient in RYR that lowers LDL and it has a similar effect to lovastatin, which is actually a prescription medicine for lowering LDL cholesterol. So you are saying there is no longer monocolin in RYR? What does the supplement facts say on the CVS bottle?
    www.supplementstand.tumblr.com
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SuppStand View Post
    From my understanding monacolin K is the ingredient in RYR that lowers LDL and it has a similar effect to lovastatin, which is actually a prescription medicine for lowering LDL cholesterol. So you are saying there is no longer monocolin in RYR? What does the supplement facts say on the CVS bottle?
    Monascus purpureus is what's on the bottle. Here's what's got me wondering:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red...tient-redyeast

It appears that monacolin k is the same thing as lovastatin. If this substance has been removed from RYR, then I believe its probably useless for lowering LDL. The label on my RYR only says Monascus purpureus, which according to the link, is a combination of substances.

Still researching this, but let me know if anyone has any further insight...

EDIT: Ok, so it looks like in order to avoid any FDA "issues", makers of RYR don't disclose how much monacolin k (lovastatin) might be in their product:

http://www.raysahelian.com/redyeastrice.html

So, this would make it very difficult for the average consumer to know whether they are actually getting RYR that will lower their LDL or not. Such goes the supplement industry...
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Red Yeast Rice
    By TripDog in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
  2. Red Yeast Rice to become Rx only.
    By Loadre in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
  3. red yeast rice
    By devil in forum Cycle Info