most supplements are garbage

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
Most supplements are a pure out waste of your hard earned $$. Junk!! I challenge any of you who doubt this to try an experiment for 30 days. Buy these supplements and ONLY these basic supplements.

protein powder- something under $20 or so for a 2.2 lb jug, something cheap

vitamins- Men's 1 a day vitamins or Centrum for under $10, no $30 bag of "vitamin packs"

coffee- the only pre workout stimulant you will use is coffee

OPTIONAL- cheap creatine monohydrate powder, stir it in fruit juice

Thats it!! Dont buy anything else except quality foods to eat!! Dont get sucked into this time released protein hype for $70/jug, dont even ****ing buy amino acids or glutamine, get everything you need from foods and the supps I listed above. Try this for 30 days, and let me know if you notice 1 God damn difference in your physique thats worse than when you were spending your ass off on the latest "pre workout xyz" or the newest supplement guaranteed to pack on 10 lbs in 2 wks. Seriously, do you really know anyone who used NO Xplod for a month and made gains that were really noticable from it? I dont, not 1 ****ing person do I know who looks better. Not one single person have I ever met that I can say "Damn, ever since he switched to that kre alkylin or Con-crete he looks amazing!!" Nada, zilch, zip. The supplement industry has thrived on selling desperate people false hope. False hope, more false hope, and more bull**** false hope. Quit buying into this bologni and save your money!! The magazines are full of these ads, after all what else could they possibly put in them? Not like the exercises have changed over the years, not like the different diets have changed that much. Supplements!! The supplements are what sells!! And they are taking all of us for ****ing morons, well I'm not a moron. Its bull****, its almost all bull****!!

lartinos

lartinos

Awards
I just can't agree with you because it isn't true.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
why would we stir creatine mono in fruit juice?

Absorption is fine without it.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Let's use this topic to catch up. How you been man?! I'm gonna be ordering some of that new white flood! Can't wait to try it out.

Ps this topic has been brought up a few times and most people will disagree. Although I do think a lot of sups can be bought in bulk to be more cost effective. How Trt treating you? Not so good I guess?

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards

lies!.. my mono hates water.. a lot.. it hides in the bottom of the glass when water is present..

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Let's use this topic to catch up. How you been man?! I'm gonna be ordering some of that new white flood! Can't wait to try it out.

Ps this topic has been brought up a few times and most people will disagree. Although I do think a lot of sups can be bought in bulk to be more cost effective. How Trt treating you? Not so good I guess?
Sounds good man, wait a couple days. The new watermelon flavor should be out (its the best by far).

How you been? I see Taurus is getting quite a few fans :D

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would say that people can get away without most supplements. Sure. However, I definitely notice a difference from a number of supplements. Do I absolutely need them? Not necessarily, but they help.

It can also be harder and more expensive to meet all these requirements through food sources alone, rather than supplements.

Some stuff is over-hyped, but I would disagree with the original statement in general.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds good man, wait a couple days. The new watermelon flavor should be out (its the best by far).

How you been? I see Taurus is getting quite a few fans :D
I'm working like a mad man!! 12 hour shifts leave little time for me to check up on AM! But I get more days off... That's when I'm not getting called in for OT lol

Watermelon sounds good! As far as Taurus goes I'm afraid I've been a awful rep the last few weeks :(

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Well let me tell you this...most people who hate supplements and think they are garbage either train or eat like garbage or dont use the right stuff.

i know what supplements have done for me and i would not be here. plus who cares about money you must work some sorry ass loser job if you are gonig to be this cheap of a rat.

go back to bodybuilding.com you twig.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I agree and disagree with your post. Will supplements replace quality food, training, and rest? No. Can supplements help somebody achieve greater gains than they would by merely using quality food, training and rest? Yes.

Yes people use supplements as a crutch instead of addressing the issue head-on. These issues are typically dietary, training style, or lack of rest. However, you cannot say that with those conditions met that supplements cannot help someone achieve greater gains than they would have otherwise.

I could also argue that an investment in a supplement can help to push someone a little harder towards addressing the issues of diet, training, or rest. Purchasing a fat burner may make someone a little more conscious of what kinds of foods their eating. Purchasing a test booster may cause someone to subconsciously add those extra plates or crank out some extra reps despite the pain. Purchasing a sleep aid may get someone thinking about preparing for bed more regularly, which in-turn would allow for more consistent quality rest.

Just my two cents, and as such worth the paper they're written on.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Personally I think they are of more use to TOTAL OVERALL HEALTH than they are to gaining muscle and becoming mr. O.

for instance half of the stuff I take are just vitamins and minerals for overall total health, zinc, magnesium, iron, vit C, Vit D, digestive enzymes, vit B complex, multi vitamin etc..

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards

nah, treating me great bro, I love it and dont regret it a bit

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm working like a mad man!! 12 hour shifts leave little time for me to check up on AM! But I get more days off... That's when I'm not getting called in for OT lol

Watermelon sounds good! As far as Taurus goes I'm afraid I've been a awful rep the last few weeks :(
Working like mad is better than not working. In this economy there are worse things :p

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
i know what supplements have done for me and i would not be here. plus who cares about money you must work some sorry ass loser job if you are gonig to be this cheap of a rat..
Excuse those of us who lost our jobs due to this ****ty ass economy and are working multiple sorry ass loser jobs to just make ends meat.. not all of us are as fortunate as you..

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nah, treating me great bro, I love it and dont regret it a bit
I won't let. I can't wait till I qualify for trt... At 23 my doc says I'm a little to young. Some guys on trt seem to respond better to supplement then natty dudes. Besides ecdysterone I only use the basics. Every now and then I use a test booster or e blocker but for the most part just a good diet and BCAA

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excuse those of us who lost our jobs due to this ****ty ass economy and are working multiple sorry ass loser jobs to just make ends meat.. not all of us are as fortunate as you..
God bless you man! If I was laid off I'd work anywhere for any amount of money. I couldn't just sit on my ass all day. Hope everything works out for you. Best wishes

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
God bless you man! If I was laid off I'd work anywhere for any amount of money. I couldn't just sit on my ass all day. Hope everything works out for you. Best wishes
bah I got 2 years.. then I'll be gettin 65k a year.. it's worth it.. no where other then fast food crap is hiring here.. I deal with it.. there are people worse off than I am..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally I think they are of more use to TOTAL OVERALL HEALTH than they are to gaining muscle and becoming mr. O.

for instance half of the stuff I take are just vitamins and minerals for overall total health, zinc, magnesium, iron, vit C, Vit D, digestive enzymes, vit B complex, multi vitamin etc..
This.

They're not sexy and don't have any marketing behind them, but my main priority is to be functioning optimally.

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My take on the supplement biz is this- Become informed, do your research and ask questions. Look to see what other people are using and why. Try the basics and try something new if you want and if it doesnt work, then dont buy it again. The stuff that doesnt work should fade away because of lack of return business.

Recently the industry has released some really cool stuff that works or put a new spin on things to freshen things up. Its getting better but its not perfect, there are plenty of companies that are still out to make a quick buck off of selling junk. We can only hope they run out their luck sooner than later and fold.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I agree and disagree with your post. Will supplements replace quality food, training, and rest? No. Can supplements help somebody achieve greater gains than they would by merely using quality food, training and rest? Yes.

Yes people use supplements as a crutch instead of addressing the issue head-on. These issues are typically dietary, training style, or lack of rest. However, you cannot say that with those conditions met that supplements cannot help someone achieve greater gains than they would have otherwise.

I could also argue that an investment in a supplement can help to push someone a little harder towards addressing the issues of diet, training, or rest. Purchasing a fat burner may make someone a little more conscious of what kinds of foods their eating. Purchasing a test booster may cause someone to subconsciously add those extra plates or crank out some extra reps despite the pain. Purchasing a sleep aid may get someone thinking about preparing for bed more regularly, which in-turn would allow for more consistent quality rest.

I think you hit the nail on the head there

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards

I'm with you on this one. Agreed

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
Well let me tell you this...most people who hate supplements and think they are garbage either train or eat like garbage or dont use the right stuff.

i know what supplements have done for me and i would not be here. plus who cares about money you must work some sorry ass loser job if you are gonig to be this cheap of a rat.

go back to bodybuilding.com you twig.
Nope, I make a decent living. And I bet without supplements you would be where your at, your 6'3". You should be around 230 lbs anyways...:eek:wned2:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

:goodpost: ^^^ I am in agreement.

For a newbie, an experienced trainee getting back into training after a long break, or a recreational lifter, the basic supplements are definitely all that are required - nothing is going to replace the correct nutrition and training. However, once you become very advanced and experienced, then supplements additional to those staples can definitely be beneficial and aid in progress, especially when one has their nutrition and training perfect for them re performance, progress, and results.

Speaking from personal experience, I can do fine on just the basics, yes, and I have periods where I will use only the basic staples. On the other hand, because I am a highly trained individual and know my body well enough to notice the difference even a slight adjustment in nutrition, training, or supplementation makes to my results, I can definitely say that there are supplements out there that make a difference - hence why I have made several products staples for me alongside the basics.

~Rosie~

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Nope, I make a decent living. And I bet without supplements you would be where your at, your 6'3". You should be around 230 lbs anyways...:eek:wned2:
my drivers license says im 155 and my cousins and uncle are 6'1 and 6'2 and topped out at 170.

I am not bragging what i look like because i certainly am not happy thats why i workout and there are plenty of users on this site who have better body comps than me but you would probably say to yourself that guy is not supposed to be that big.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
man my 16 year old cousin is 6'2" 230 with no supplements except creatine and osteosport cause he plays football! c'mon!

and to bigwhiteguy, why the heck does ur DL say that lol thats pretty funny though!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My take on the supplement biz is this- Become informed, do your research and ask questions.
Bingo!
The great thing about boards like this is that you can help support smaller companies and also educate yourself and others on what actually works. If somebody isn't reaching their goals because they think eating a few candy bars from GNC a day is healthy, that is on the individual not doing some rather simple research.

I've spoken to too many people whos supplement stock resembles the medicine cabinet of a 90 year old...they are taking stuff that they have no idea why they are taking it. Take something basic like creatine and go into a gym and ask people why they take creatine. You'll probably get a different answer with each person and most will probably be wrong. And some will have no idea other than that everybody is taking it.

So I'm all for educated purchases, but I also believe some of the advances in supplements do have advantages over the original concepts.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^^ Im with you on that

Supplementation: necessary? No. Beneficial? Yes, if youre smart about it.

Let's start by reminding that they are meant to supplement diet and training.
I dont spend much time investing in supplements to replace meals... food is more anabolic and satifying and, sticking with the theme, cheaper. I do have a pre-workout concoction for myself because its my first meal when I wake up because my lift is the beginning of my day.

I'll admit it - Im kind of a supp junkie, especially off season. My summer stack is huge but im over it.
I don't do creatine. Never was a fan.
Fat burners? Yeah they help but its still 90% diet IMO.
Pre-workouts? I like em, gotta cycle because of tolerance, but Im picky.
Post workout? Tilapia and a sweet potato.
NO's? Its all in your head.
Intraworkout? I get my BCAA's in that wake up shake. I just like water.
ZMA? Useless.
Diuretics? It better be strong, I hold water.
Vitamins? I get em in my diet.
Test booster/GH booster? Depends on whats in it. Some are garbage, others will give benefit.

Research the products, read the reviews (and investigate their credentials), and compare pricing to similar products. Dont expect miracles just from jumpin on supplements. And the placebo effect always a funny irony. Yes there are products on the market that can give you a helping hand but theres a lot more stuff thats all smoke and mirrors

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I'm with the OP. You have my support.

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
for me i have found combinations that work better than using a gram of trenbolone a week. and healthier. im actually gaining off cycle without using a serm.

Imeniaan

Awards
  • Established
true, minerals and vitamins are where it's at. for instance, the university of teheran in iran posted a study which was done in april of this year. they let males take 1 10 mg boron pill (borax form) in the morning and after one week, their free testosterone levels increased 30 %, while their E2 levels decreased with 40 %. pretty awesome if you tell me, from just 1 boron pill. combine this with 3 grams of DAA/day, lots of coconut oil, a great diet, lots of sleep, iodine (check my new thread) and your test levels will always be in the 900's or higher. it is really this simple and quite cheap actually. no need for overhyped supplements, which will cost you, an arm, a leg and a second mortgage on your house.

obvious

obvious

Awards
true, minerals and vitamins are where it's at. for instance, the university of teheran in iran posted a study which was done in april of this year. they let males take 1 10 mg boron pill (borax form) in the morning and after one week, their free testosterone levels increased 30 %, while their E2 levels decreased with 40 %. pretty awesome if you tell me, from just 1 boron pill. combine this with 3 grams of DAA/day, lots of coconut oil, a great diet, lots of sleep, iodine (check my new thread) and your test levels will always be in the 900's or higher. it is really this simple and quite cheap actually. no need for overhyped supplements, which will cost you, an arm, a leg and a second mortgage on your house.
Can you post the study? The only reason I ask is that I had researched this a while ago, and it was debunked in the 90s...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8508192

The effect of boron supplementation was investigated in 19 male bodybuilders ages 20-27 years. Ten were given a 2.5-mg boron supplement while 9 were given a placebo every day for 7 weeks. Plasma total and free testosterone, plasma boron, lean body mass, and strength measurements were determined on Days 1 and 49 of the study. Plasma boron values were significantly (p < 0.05) different as the experimental group increased from (+/- SD) 20.1 +/- 7.7 ppb pretest to 32.6 +/- 27.6 ppb posttest, while the control group mean decreased from 15.1 +/- 14.4 ppb pretest to 6.3 +/- 5.5 ppb posttest. Analysis of variance indicated no significant effect of boron supplementation on any of the dependent variables. Both groups demonstrated significant increases in total testosterone, lean body mass, 1-RM squat, and 1-RM bench press. The findings suggest that 7 weeks of bodybuilding can increase total testosterone, lean body mass, and strength in lesser trained bodybuilders, and that boron supplementation had no effect on these measures.
Update: nevermind...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0946672X10001148

Although I'm interested as to why the testosterone was only increased in the 8am blood draw and not in the other ones...

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
true story. and the gear was definitely real. ****ed me up. i think i am just too weak for roids. lol
supplements work really well for me. the right ones that is. of course there is lots of useless stuff around too.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
true story. and the gear was definitely real. ****ed me up. i think i am just too weak for roids. lol
supplements work really well for me. the right ones that is. of course there is lots of useless stuff around too.
I believe you,Redman.I found a suplement combo that works better than steroid cycles I have done in the past.I have no ideal how it works as there is very little literature on the moa of many of the herbs,and it is not promoted as an anabolic alternative,but it is very anabolic.
I gave up working out a few months ago due to illness,but I am going to get back into it in a week or so,as soon as my bottle of this stuff comes in.

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
12 caps drive, 4 caps triazole, 12 caps neovar per day
12 caps san cm2 nitrate preworkout.
of course this wont put 30lbs of muscle on in 3 months lol.
but it is helping me maintain my size while improving definition and strength without using a serm. 4 weeks of now and no loss of anything, exceot bloat and fat appearance. haha

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established

My thoughts exactly. Also I'm not sure why the OP is so concerned with what other people spend their money on.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In my humble opinion, supplements are best used to fine tune results. There isn't one supplement out there that will produce dramatic results. Dramatic results come from diet and your training program. Supplements may help to speed up the process, but if your nutrition is off, in addition to your conditioning program, NOTHING WILL WORK.

JeremyT

Awards
Hey Conagher, hate to ask as well, but could you PM it to me as well? I have a feeling like I might know what you mean, but I'm not sure. Thanks man!

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
for me i have found combinations that work better than using a gram of trenbolone a week. and healthier. im actually gaining off cycle without using a serm.
You were at a gram of tren a week? Is that you in your avi?

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i only ran that for 3 weeks . also i only used steroid for 12 weeks total in my life. its me in my avi, before steroids. i dont train to get big anyway, i just wanted to know what steroids are like. moderation makes no sense for me..lol

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
i only ran that for 3 weeks . also i only used steroid for 12 weeks total in my life. its me in my avi, before steroids. i dont train to get big anyway, i just wanted to know what steroids are like. moderation makes no sense for me..lol
intredasting_RE_Toothfairy-s685x567-170917.jpg

I call bullsh*t

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really hate the excuse people give for a supplement not working as your diet. I've said this many many times. Example: A person comes on here posting that a certain supplement doesn't work. So they usual people come on a give the excuse that there diet must be crap because the supplement will only work if your diet is great. So this person starts to follow a better diet and gets things under control, and what do you know, they start making gains!. Now how can you tell me its not the diet change than gave him the gains?. People will then tell him/her, "See now the supplement is working because you changed your diet!". I kind of doubt that. To me, it was the diet the whole time. Whatever you ingest, if it works its going to make some kind of difference in your body, doesn't matter how crappy your diet is.

I myself take mostly basic supplements as in creatine, fish oil, krill oil, multi-vitamin. Once in a blue moon I'll try something different, but its really just for fun and not something I'll keep taking. Its just not worth the extra money because the return in investment is very limited compared to my return in investment on groceries.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I thought I was the worst supplement critic but you have me beat. Actually it depends on you goals. For mass building, yes most supplements are junk. For general health stick with the ones with scientific backing. In fact I take very few supplements without some form of in vivo testing or posted blood tests. Even then, most are overrated and underdosed. There are only a handful of supplement companies that I trust and even then I am very cautious.