Puking-why does it occur

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so i have always wondered what makes your body want to vomit during a hard back or leg workout?

is it over stimulation and over work of the CNS

is it lack of oxygen to the brain due to high volume of blood to the muscles?

what is it?

and yes this is the wrong section and I posted it in training section as well but supplements gets so many more hits

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
how long are you giving for food to digest before a workout?

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I know that straining while holding your breath in max-effort movements generates a ton of pressure in your chest cavity, ultimately resulting in: (1) a decrease in blood flow in veins passing through the chest cavity; and (2) a spike in blood pressure as a result of tremendous pressure in the chest cavity. There are several large veins that pass through the area that suffer diminished blood flow back to the heart as a result of increased cavity pressure, which ultimately reduces the amount of oxygenated blood that gets circulated out of the heart (and ultimately to the brain). This is the kind of situation where you see stars or spots, get dizzy, faint, or vomit.

(Actually, for more information you might want to read a bit on the Valsalva Maneuver. It's essentially what I'm talking about above.)

But this is more akin to the situation where you puke during a max-effort set or immediately afterward as opposed to going nuts for 90 minutes and ending up dehydrated, exhausted, and so on, which can also ultimately manifest in vomiting (and worse).

In my experience, the latter is usually a situation where you finish and say "****, I feel like ****, I'm gonna throw up, I need to go lay down" while the former is 'RAAAALLLPPPHHHH' before you have much time to think about it. :)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Vomiting is caused by so many things, but a lot of times, in regards to exercise, it is because of a change in electrolytes. This can be because of anything from simple dehydration to rhabdomyolysis.