1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Liquid L-Carnitine Anabolic? During cardio and weights

I have been thinkin.of addin 2G of lcarnitine liquid from NOW (has 3.5g carbs) with C4 to increase fat usage and energy, recently I read this.will also help.keep body anabolic how true is this. Also I know there are did types but this one i get real cheap

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%

Diff"
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%

Anyone?
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.74%

Quote Originally Posted by Jasen View Post
    will also help keep body anabolic how true is this. Also I know there are did types but this one i get real cheap
    I have heard this also about L-Carnitine. (Helps keep body more anabolic)
    I have read somewhere before that it takes about 10-14 days of supplementation to create enough of the nutrient(mitochondria) that is central to muscle function. So, like most supplements I wouldn't expect a great deal before that time period.

L-Carnitine has many benefits. I am no expert but I have heard/read of it supporting the anabolic process for sure.

So I would say that it is at least mostly true.
    I'm Back...
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%

I used it once before and got crazy pumps. No.pain.in.trying
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.41%

I agreee with Clickster. I've read a few differen't studies on LC and while I don't reacall any of them stating that it will keep you anabolic, I do remember them saying it will help keep you out of a catabolic state....so yes.

...but I'm no expert either.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.99%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

For what it's worth and those interested, here's an article from the IM site...

L-Carnitine: Energy’s Rocket Fuel
    With muscle-building and fat-burning properties too

April 25, 2011 by George Redmon, Ph.D., N.D. in Latest, Nutrition, Supplements
    As a hardworking bodybuilder, you’re fully aware of what it takes to generate the energy you need to meet your performance goals. While many bodybuilders use a variety of energy-enhancing supplements that are caffeine based or are central nervous system stimulants, “borrowed energy” may not always be your best option.

Energizers like that can give you a fast burst but will quickly send the borrowed energy south—plummeting. Luckily, you can naturally generate what’s referred to as biological energy. By tapping into that pure form of energy, as nature intended, you can improve your workout performance twofold. The best part of the scenario is that nature already has a compound to help you generate biological energy—L-carnitine. In fact, you have 20 to 25 grams of it in your system, of which 95 percent is found in skeletal muscle. Stress, exercise, aging and other factors, however, can scuttle this dynamic nutrient.

Carnitine’s role in human bioenergetics is so profound that researchers contend that it is unique and essential and that no other compound can replace it in initiating and regulating the production of biological energy. Dr. Edmund R. Burke, the well-known sports physiologist, calls L-carnitine “energy’s workhorse.”

Energy is an elusive entity that you can’t see, hear or touch; however, you know when you’re energized, when your energy is waning and when you’re reenergized. Somewhere within your cells something drives energy toward its continuous physiological function. That “somewhere” is in the body’s internal cellular furnaces, known as the mitochondria.

When you eat, L-carnitine drives fatty acids into the mitochondria. It also assists in the disposal of deadly ketones, by-products of insufficient carbohydrate metabolism. Additionally, without adequate amounts of L-carnitine present, the door to the energy factories can’t be opened efficiently, hampering energy and fat burning.

The mitochondria are the platform for the conversion of fat into energy, while L-carnitine drives the energy cycle by sparing glycogen in liver and muscle tissue. Energy stored in carbohydrate converts to glucose but can be exhausted rather quickly. L-carnitine helps spare glucose during intense workouts, switching the fuel system to fat. That makes for a 75 to 80 percent uptick in use, depending on the type of activity, which is extremely important. Your preserved glycogen can be used during periods of heavier workloads and/or exertion.

L-carnitine also prevents delayed-onset muscle soreness, a.k.a. DOMS. Data show that when untrained subjects supplemented with three grams daily of L-carnitine for three weeks, they experienced a good deal less exercise-induced muscle pain and damage. The mechanism is L-carnitine’s ability to transport more blood and oxygen to tired muscles. L-carnitine also acts like an internal hammer, breaking up toxic by-products that perpetuate low-grade muscle inflammation. In fact, researchers at the University of Connecticut found that L-carnitine reduced hypoxanthine, xanthine oxidase and uric acid, which are catabolic markers of exercise-damaged muscle tissue.

L-carnitine forces free testosterone to better interact with androgen receptors in muscle tissue following heavy resistance training. It acts like an anabolic steroid by naturally regulating the flow of circulating testosterone into muscle tissues after you train.

Suggested dose and use: Take L-carnitine half an hour before eating or a couple of hours after eating to improve absorption. To enhance performance, take it right before your workout, starting with 500 milligrams a day, gradually increasing your range to 1,000 to 3.000 milligrams daily.

~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%

it says empty stomach but the NOW version comes with lil carbs 3.5 per serving.im assuming its not enough to cause.impact
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.47%

ALCAR 2 grams a day is a very nice thing on MANY levels!
    SeriousNutritionSolutions:::
    online rep
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%

Why
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.03%

Carnitine isn't really anabolic. It's very good for overall health though. The tartrate version might be a little anabolic because of its effects on the androgen receptor and since it increases NO.
    Applied Nutriceuticals
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jdrannin1 View Post
    Carnitine isn't really anabolic. It's very good for overall health though. The tartrate version might be a little anabolic because of its effects on the androgen receptor and since it increases NO.
    This. L-carnitine is not anabolic even if mega-dosing, really. However, they all confer nice benefits beyond that, so I love em.

LCLT = increased vo2 max, increased androgen receptor sensitivity, increased recovery
    ALCAR = increased focus, less mental fatigue, combats a negative stimulus that may lower testosterone, very powerful neuroprotectant (esp when drinking alcohol)
    PLCAR = combats overall fatigue
    GPLC = produces pumps and has ergogenic benefits...though I don't buy either of these because the research is way too shaky
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

Similar Forum Threads

1. cardio after weights
    By TNASTYII in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
  2. Cardio After Weights...
    By Aggravated in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM