BCAA help for newbie please!!

eugegall

Awards
Hi All,

Im currently on a cut but im trying not to lose any mass, A friend suggested i take some BCAA pills. Please can someone help me out with a few question i have?

1) How much protein is in each pill?
2) When do i take these pills during the day?
3) Do i take them on off days and cardio days?

Here is the contents of the pills i currently have.
Amount per 3 pills:
Leucine: 1500mg
Isloeucine: 750mg
Valine: 750mg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCI) 12mg

Thank in advance.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
3 caps = 1 dose

Workout days:
2 doses pre workout, 2 dose throughout the day or after workout

Off days:
2 doses two times a day

Always take a dose before cardio.

Start with that and see how you feel. Others may take A LOT more in daily.

Lots of information out there on Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's)

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
Just take 7-10g of Leucine

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Get some Xtend from scivation, drink 4-8 scoops before and during your workout, works for me

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Every gram of Bcaa is 1g of protein.
You need min of 5g in a sitting to get the desired effects of protein synthesis ect, which is 2.5g of leucine. Take them before and after workouts. Some like them during but there is no research saying either way is better then the other. So do what you prefer. No need to take them on off days. If you want to i would take them first thing in the morning and before bed. First thing, pre-wo, post-wo, and before bed are some ideal times. Others take them between meals 4-5 hrs apart.

Ya Boy A

Ya Boy A

Banned
Awards
5g in morning
5g pre-workout
10-15g post-workout
5g bed time

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is a lot of off information in this thread

Ya Boy A

Ya Boy A

Banned
Awards
There is a lot of off information in this thread
My dosage is based off of Dr. Layne Norton's studies on free-form BCAAs.

Would link/10 but not enough posts, not hard to find though.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My dosage is based off of Dr. Layne Norton's studies on free-form BCAAs.

Would link/10 but not enough posts, not hard to find though.
First off, you are either using old information or misinterpreting his work.

Nowhere did you mention the 2 hour postprandial dosing protocol that he has been suggesting recently to prevent a refractory response via a 5g spike.

You have some enormous dosages for no reason when meals will provide BCAAs as well. Your postworkout addition of 15g of BCAAs to what Im assuming would be protein or preferably a meal would be overkill. No reason for the morning and night dosages, eat food.

Intraworkout is just fine for a stroking method for BCAAs as well.

Its just rife with oddities, but you werent the only one I was referring to

Ya Boy A

Ya Boy A

Banned
Awards

Nowhere did you mention the 2 hour postprandial dosing protocol that he has been suggesting recently to prevent a refractory response via a 5g spike.

You have some enormous dosages for no reason when meals will provide BCAAs as well. Your postworkout addition of 15g of BCAAs to what Im assuming would be protein or preferably a meal would be overkill

Its just rife with oddities
The only post-workout meal I have is 50g of carbs in the form of oatmeal, 2 hours later that's followed by my regular meal.

Link to where you read this?

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

You have some enormous dosages for no reason when meals will provide BCAAs as well. Your postworkout addition of 15g of BCAAs to what Im assuming would be protein or preferably a meal would be overkill

Its just rife with oddities, but you werent the only one I was referring to
yep, the two mark seems to have been the key time frame for the MPS boost via his study.

The suggested amount in Layne's study (for everyone's benefit in this thread) is .05 g of leucine per kg of bodyweight. Also, isoleucine and valine are important because a high intake of leucine depletes them.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The only post-workout meal I have is 50g of carbs in the form of oatmeal, 2 hours later that's followed by my regular meal.

Link to where you read this?
His recent studies. If you can find a Scivation rep, ask them for a link to his study for BCAA usage in between meals. They usually have them on hotkey.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yep, the two mark seems to have been the key time frame for the MPS boost via his study.

The suggested amount in Layne's study (for everyone's benefit in this thread) is .05 g of leucine per kg of bodyweight. Also, isoleucine and valine are important because a high intake of leucine depletes them.

Eh, he tried to simplify it to ~3g Leucine for general purposes (just trying to save people from having to do math). If you are larger you may need more. And obviously with dosages of isoleucine and valine alongside

That last point you just made is another thing I was referring to earlier about misinformation in this thread. Suggesting 7g of straight leucine isnt the smartest move on a cut.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
His recent studies. If you can find a Scivation rep, ask them for a link to his study for BCAA usage in between meals. They usually have them on hotkey.
linked the thread ^^^ where he posts his article and talks about it in great detail...just have to skim through the typical bb trash.

Eh, he tried to simplify it to 3g Leucine for general purposes (just trying to save people from having to do math). If you are larger you may need more

That last point you just made is another thing I was saddened with in this thread. Suggesting 7g of straight leucine isnt the smartest move on a cut.
I agree with you, just trying to expound on it! ;)

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
linked the thread ^^^ where he posts his article and talks about it in great detail...just have to skim through the typical bb trash.

I agree with you, just trying to expound on it! ;)
Thanks for the link. I honestly spent 30 seconds looking for one of those threads then gave up ;)

Ya Boy A

Ya Boy A

Banned
Awards
Alright thanks guys

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now before there is misinterpreting of what we have talked about, supplementing with straight leucine isnt a bad idea in my mind on a bulk/maintenance

You will have quite a bit of circulating BCAAs in your system for the leucine to use. It can help with anabolism during these periods. This is why I choose BCAA products with a higher leucine ratio (or just straight leucine) on a bulk/maintenance

Stuff with a 2:1:1 ratio is not really needed on a bulk, but closer to a (2-4):1:1 ratio appears to be more beneficial on a cut because you are nutritionally deficient compared to a maintenance/bulk and will hence have less BCAA intake from your diet

Ya Boy A

Ya Boy A

Banned
Awards
Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also OP, how many servings per container are you getting with those pills?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
270 Pills per tub!

Cheers all for the info. So much to learn.
How many PER SERVING, though? It will say on the container.

Alot of times the serving size is a lot of pills with BCAA tablet products.

ALOT easier to get your aminos in a powder or other version than pill form, imo

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We established 3 pills/serving, so 90 servings.

Also thanks for the link, james. I had been looking for this mysterious study for a damn long time. I have no idea how my googling skills failed me.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Also thanks for the link, james. I had been looking for this mysterious study for a damn long time. I have no idea how my googling skills failed me.
NP bro! I try to save the studies I find pertinent and know I'll refer back to.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
270 Pills per tub!

Cheers all for the info. So much to learn.
Those servings dont mean anything if they dont equal out to 5g of BCAA. You need 5g at one time. So ignore the serving recommendations on the tub and figure out how many pills it takes to hit that 5g. Thats what you should be taking at one time (of just leucine, isoleucine and valine)

You should be taking at least 5-6 of your pills at one time (not 3).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those servings dont mean anything if they dont equal out to 5g of BCAA. You need 5g at one time. So ignore the serving recommendations on the tub and figure out how many pills it takes to hit that 5g. Thats what you should be taking at one time (of just leucine, isoleucine and valine)

You should be taking at least 5-6 of your pills at one time (not 3).
Agreed. From OP it looks like a serving is 3g, or 1g of 2:1:1 per pill so 5 pills would be best at a time if you're following a LN protocol.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now before there is misinterpreting of what we have talked about, supplementing with straight leucine isnt a bad idea in my mind on a bulk/maintenance

You will have quite a bit of circulating BCAAs in your system for the leucine to use. It can help with anabolism during these periods. This is why I choose BCAA products with a higher leucine ratio (or just straight leucine) on a bulk/maintenance

Stuff with a 2:1:1 ratio is not really needed on a bulk, but closer to a (2-4):1:1 ratio appears to be more beneficial on a cut because you are nutritionally deficient compared to a maintenance/bulk and will hence have less BCAA intake from your diet
8:1:1 is where its at for me. Modern BCAA is the only one I have seen to capture this ratio.

Pure leucine is good as well IF you have enough circulating iso and val. Supplementing without them may actually be antagonistic to their resorption. So I like 8:1:1 because it ensures enough is available

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
8:1:1 is where its at for me. Modern BCAA is the only one I have seen to capture this ratio.

Pure leucine is good as well IF you have enough circulating iso and val. Supplementing without them may actually be antagonistic to their resorption. So I like 8:1:1 because it ensures enough is available

This doesnt make sense on a cut if you have been following any of Layne's work

You basically just restated what I said except you said you like Modern BCAA...which again is not a good idea on a cut. If you are going to buy a bulk supplement, might as well just get straight Leucine on a bulk instead of an 8:1:1 ratio (and yes, you will have enough isoleucine and valine on a bulk to benefit from intelligent straight leucine dosing).

There are good 8:1:1 intras out there, but I would never spend the money on a straight 8:1:1 BCAA ratio bulk product. It just doesnt make sense with how effective a straight Leucine product is for the pricetag (and no, you wont have an issue with depleting your isoleucine and valine reserves unless you are massively superdosing your bulk leucine)