Fish Oil is making me smell like a sewage dump!!!

FreakMonster

Awards
I'm taking Carlsonn's Liquid Fish Oil and my girlfriend is saying I smell so terrible that it is unbearable. Worse than 1000 dead fish she says LOL.

EPA/DHA is 800/500, Is there anything else out there on the market that compares that doesn't make me smell like dead raw fish?

Rock Lee

Awards
Simply inform your GF that she got the game wrong. :thumbsup:

I use Twinlab's mint flavored norwegian cod liver oil. 1 teaspoon yeilds 554 mg EPA and 369 mg DHA, so I take 2-4 teaspoons a day and have yet to receive any complaints about my smell (people I know are brutually honest. So if I smelled like ****, they'd tell me).

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
liver tabs make me smell funny - had to stop taking them........

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I use the Twinlab Super EFA and do not have any problems either. Also, I've read feedback on this problem before and freezing the tabs seems to somehow diminish the fish smell coming out of your ass (or pores).

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
haven't ever heard of anyone smelling like dead fish after taking fish oils unless you are spilling it on yourself. :trout: you may want to try another brand?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's the potency of the product.. When I worked at Vitamin World, I know their version made me stink like a french whore (no offense).. :D

Want something on the same lines, try flax softgels with Evening Primrose Oil softgels.. Same effect, no stink.. ;)

FreakMonster

Awards
It's the potency of the product.. When I worked at Vitamin World, I know their version made me stink like a french whore (no offense).. :D

Want something on the same lines, try flax softgels with Evening Primrose Oil softgels.. Same effect, no stink.. ;)
Know of a good place to find it? Do you know what the EPA/DHA content is? The main reason for taking it is for it's high content of Omega 3 fatty acids.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Know of a good place to find it? Do you know what the EPA/DHA content is? The main reason for taking it is for it's high content of Omega 3 fatty acids.
That stuff never was important to me, I just care that it's an EFA.. :p :trout:

Vitamin World and Vitamin Shoppe, or try to find some Now Foods EFA's.. ;)

FreakMonster

Awards
Simply inform your GF that she got the game wrong. :thumbsup:

I use Twinlab's mint flavored norwegian cod liver oil. 1 teaspoon yeilds 554 mg EPA and 369 mg DHA, so I take 2-4 teaspoons a day and have yet to receive any complaints about my smell (people I know are brutually honest. So if I smelled like ****, they'd tell me).
Why are you taking cod liver oil during the summer? You should only be taking it in the winter months when your low in Vit. D.
Many people, especially those who don't have adequate sun exposure, are deficient in Vitamin D and would therefore receive all the health benefits from taking cod liver oil.
As sunshine is the main source of vitamin D, a significant number of people should consider switching from fish oil in the warm weather months -- when they tend to have more sun exposure -- to cod liver oil in the cool weather months, when their sun exposure is minimal. While vitamin D deficiency can increase the risk for cancer and other diseases, overdosing on vitamin D -- having levels that are too high -- can bring its own set of problems, incluidng osteoporosis and hardening of your arteries. So if your vitamin D levels are too high, even in the winter months you should consider sticking to fish oil versus cod liver oil.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
agreed on the cod :)

I buy my fish oil caps at Walmart, 12 daily and no stink ;)

FreakMonster

Awards
That stuff never was important to me, I just care that it's an EFA.. :p :trout:

Vitamin World and Vitamin Shoppe, or try to find some Now Foods EFA's.. ;)
Ya the Omega 3 fatty acids in those products at Vitamin World are so low around the 120mg range that your not
getting your moneys worth. I'm looking for a product that can deliver 1600mg of Omega 3 llike the Carlson product without the smell. Also it contain high levels of DHA and EPA, that are essential to fighting and preventing both physical and mental disease which that products at vitamin world hardly contain.

Last edited:
bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Try Now Foods, picky! :D

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
the Walmart brand has 180/120 EPA/DHA per cap, so 12 daily = 2160/1440mg daily :thumbsup: I guess some are pickier than others, I used to be :rasp: :D

Awards
agreed on the cod :)

I buy my fish oil caps at Walmart, 12 daily and no stink ;)
I just bought some of those today. I guess we will see if it is going to make me stink :)

Are you taking one pill 12 times a day or are you doubling up?

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For all of you with fish breath, Costco now carries enteric coated fish oil pills to prevent fish breath. they cost 3X as much as their normal line of fish pills, but are also 50% more potent.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I just bought some of those today. I guess we will see if it is going to make me stink :)

Are you taking one pill 12 times a day or are you doubling up?
4 3X daily

synesta

Awards
I had the same problem with Liver tabs too goldlylight. It also gave me gas from hell. Weird side don't know. Just know when I quit taking it all went well in one day.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
FreakMonster, where did you buy it? Carlson is actually a very reputable company and is held in high regards for their fish oils. Wondering if the product was expired or has gone rancid. Never heard complaints on it before. Just curious...

FreakMonster

Awards
FreakMonster, where did you buy it? Carlson is actually a very reputable company and is held in high regards for their fish oils. Wondering if the product was expired or has gone rancid. Never heard complaints on it before. Just curious...
I bought mine at a local nutrition store here in ATL. I'm done using Carlson though and now using NOW'S Super EFA gel caps. I get the mg dosage I was looking for with no rancid smell.

Awards
Dumb newbie question: I know that fish oil is good for you, but why?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19