Recomp Questions...

sizematters10

I'm struggling with understanding how recomps are achieved, are these processes mutually exclusive, or can they happen simultaneously? It seems if you are at a calorie deficet theres no way (no matter the nutrient breakdown) to grow. Im just not understanding how you can recomp, it seems to be either you are at a deficiet or not, and if your at a surplus heres where it matters the diet/nutrient breakdown on what kind of weight you put on. So anyways I feel like I'm missing something, anyone have any input on how recomps are done. The only possible way as it seems to me right now to recomp (being very uninformed) is maybe you tend to be at a deficit with high levels of protein for say 20 hours (not losing much lean mass), then in a very active anabolic window right after workouts one eats at a surplus for 4 hours, allowing them to eat at a surplus and allow for growth while not storing many calories in this surplus timeframe. Some clarity from someone on this would be great :)

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
man your signature is just weird and creepy... what does osama have to do with musclebuilding, I guess he had a lab in his house or maybe he was on tren

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
You're right, basically. A recomp is a series of short caloric deficits and surplusses. Instead of bulking for months, you bulk for a few days or a week at most, then you cut for a few days. The long term result is less fat and more muscle. It's a slow process because the changes are more subtle than strict bulking or cutting, but it's possible.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out Intermittent Fasting or Leangains.com. There's a pretty good plan for recomp on there that uses eating windows to burn fat (during a fast) and build muscle (during fed state). Seems to have worked for quite a few people lately...

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're right, basically. A recomp is a series of short caloric deficits and surplusses. Instead of bulking for months, you bulk for a few days or a week at most, then you cut for a few days. The long term result is less fat and more muscle. It's a slow process because the changes are more subtle than strict bulking or cutting, but it's possible.
this isnt how i recomp, though many people do it that way. i just eat extremely lean with high protein like lots of egg whites and chicken, maybe pasta once a day, red meat, sweet potatoes and almonds...very strict. some carbs, but not much. mainly lean protein sources and lots of them.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
this isnt how i recomp, though many people do it that way. i just eat extremely lean with high protein like lots of egg whites and chicken, maybe pasta once a day, red meat, sweet potatoes and almonds...very strict. some carbs, but not much. mainly lean protein sources and lots of them.
You've had good results like this? I've tried it, though maybe not for long enough, and I end up with subpar results. For me now, everything I do is the zig-zag approach. I never bulk or cut more than two weeks straight at the most. Then again, I'm not much of a bodybuilder like most of the guys here. I'm more concerned with athletic performance first, and aesthetics second, so I can't make very drastic changes without something suffering.

sizematters10

man your signature is just weird and creepy... what does osama have to do with musclebuilding, I guess he had a lab in his house or maybe he was on tren

good joke ha ha......you posted for that, nice.

sizematters10

thanks for all the PERTINENT responses, added rep, appreciate the clarification :)

sizematters10

I'm basically trying to do this in my log I'm running right now, but yeah I'm just not sure how successful it will be (for me), wondering if I should have just focused on one goal bulking or cutting. I've been adding in red potatoes post workout in my diet, and only carbs sparingly, and a ton of eggs. So we will see...

sizematters10

You've had good results like this? I've tried it, though maybe not for long enough, and I end up with subpar results. For me now, everything I do is the zig-zag approach. I never bulk or cut more than two weeks straight at the most. Then again, I'm not much of a bodybuilder like most of the guys here. I'm more concerned with athletic performance first, and aesthetics second, so I can't make very drastic changes without something suffering.

I fear I might have to structure my goals around one main priority or use the zig zag approach like you, I just want both at the same time! why cant it be that easy lol...

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its a recomp. u arent supposed to see huge results quick like a full out bulk or cut. solid, steady muscle gains, no fat. it takes a long time. i usually only do this right after my spring cut for the summer. then use the summer to recomp, maybe a lean bulk for a few weeks to keep my physique

sizematters10

its a recomp. u arent supposed to see huge results quick like a full out bulk or cut. solid, steady muscle gains, no fat. it takes a long time. i usually only do this right after my spring cut for the summer. then use the summer to recomp, maybe a lean bulk for a few weeks to keep my physique

yeah i like the idea of doing a summer recomp so as to not lose physique at a prime time but also not sacrifice size. Being that its still pretty early spring I might switch to a cut. What calories do you usually aim for in a cut? from what I understand its clean with high protein but what carbs do you allow yourself, and what overall calories?

sizematters10

i would assume white carbs are def gone (maybe just immediately post, if at all). fats i would think would still be needing to be at a decent level. probably try to even eliminate any kind of grain that grows from the ground im thinkin.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For a real cut, I limit carbs to mainly veggies. I might allow myself some fruit post workout. Grains, etc. are gone except oats on occasion.

I keep protein high, mainly focusing on fish like Tilapia, and chicken or tuna. I also do a lot of egg whites, with a yolk or two.

I tend to shoot for 500-1000 calories below maintenance, with about 500cal coming from LISS cardio (12% incline, 3mph) added into my routine (~1hr a day). I keep lifting 5x a week, and try to keep going heavy.

I drink lots of water, and chew gum to keep me from eating too much. The dieting is the hardest part for me. Right now I'm using Dexaprine, and it is fantastic at appetite suppression. I wish I had it a month ago!

sizematters10

For a real cut, I limit carbs to mainly veggies. I might allow myself some fruit post workout. Grains, etc. are gone except oats on occasion.

I keep protein high, mainly focusing on fish like Tilapia, and chicken or tuna. I also do a lot of egg whites, with a yolk or two.

I tend to shoot for 500-1000 calories below maintenance, with about 500cal coming from LISS cardio (12% incline, 3mph) added into my routine (~1hr a day). I keep lifting 5x a week, and try to keep going heavy.

I drink lots of water, and chew gum to keep me from eating too much. The dieting is the hardest part for me. Right now I'm using Dexaprine, and it is fantastic at appetite suppression. I wish I had it a month ago!

Nice nice, sounds like a good plan. yeah the food cravings especially carbs are a fing killer. Might look into dexaprine as well. Im logging ecdy now so I prob don't want to be at a cut just yet but soon, thanks for all the helpful suggestions milas

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Recomping is easy with Test Tren and Var :D

I think it's best to cut and bulk in short phases from experience. This allows you to recover some size if you do indeed start losing an unacceptable amount of muscle on a cut and to cut if you may gain a little too much fat on a bulk. Use a partitioner to make things easier, I like slin-sane.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i like the idea of doing a summer recomp so as to not lose physique at a prime time but also not sacrifice size. Being that its still pretty early spring I might switch to a cut. What calories do you usually aim for in a cut? from what I understand its clean with high protein but what carbs do you allow yourself, and what overall calories?
honestly, i dont track crap. i dont have time to count everything. i eat lean protein, whole wheat pasta, oats, no breads, sweet potatoes...etc as my carbs. i dont eat carbs past 5PM. the only bread i eat is with a peanut butter sandwich.

i just focus on getting as much lean food as i can throughout the day. i DO keep track of meals though and what i have eaten, just not details about how many carbs. i stay lean as it is so i dont have to really monitor that. now when i bulk, i keep log of everything so i make sure im getting everything i need, but during a cut or recomp, nada

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
ReComping naturally is tough. I am doing it now and have a thread in the NeedToBuildMuscle/MrSupp section.

I am on a few good supps: Forged Burner, Ancient Strength, Attack, NTBM Whey protein, Muscle Replenisher,Green tea Ecgc, Omega 3/6/9, CLA, Vit D, Vit C.

Typically you run an anabolic because your body is going to need the higher T levels so you can build muscle while on lower cals/carbs. For most people a natural recomp is going to take a long time because your not eating enough to build a good amount of muscle. Mainly cuz you want to keep the BF gain at bay.

I am not really trying to build any more muscle than I already have, just keep what I have and drop 2% BF.

GL bro, its going to be tough. Your diet will pretty much determine your results.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
see, some ppl have a hard time, but i usually dont. i do pretty much a slightly leaner version of a lean bulk but do cardio. either sprints, swimming or jump roping so it keeps the fat off. just eat clean, eat good quality carbs and do cardio. works for me well .