Need supplement and calorie intake advice.

dreamlander

Awards
I am a 26 year old male. Things have recently settled down in my life and I decided to get my ass back into shape. I was 280 pounds on Jan. 1, I am now down to 240. I would like to get down to 200, I am pretty thick and this would be the lightest I have been since a sophmore in high school. I have limited my calorie intake to 2000-2500 per day of a balanced diet and been doing the p90x routine. I started using some of the Gaspari products in the last month, superpump max pre-workout and size-on during. Also taking gnc's vita-pak for men and plenty of whey protein. Not sure why I picked Gaspari, but I read about them and they seem legit. I have definitely increased strength in the last 4 months and want to take it a step further.
I bought some more weight lifting equipment and will now have dumbbells, barbell, 500lb in weight, power rack, bench, and lat pull down machine. I figure this should be enough to do almost anything. I don't have a decent local gym so this was my only real option.

Now for my questions. Will I be able to gain muscle mass and strength while burning fat on a 2000 calorie diet? I plan on lifting heavy 3 days a week and cardio on 3 days in between with one off day per week. Will the cardio also work against my muscle growth? I also want to try a cycle of Viridex XT. Should I increase my calorie intake and put the weight loss on hold for 6 weeks to get full effect? Is there something I should take when I cycle off Viridex XT? One more thing, I like the theory of what the superpump max does, but I usually work out after work when working days and I can't take it then because the high amount of caffeine hurts my ability to fall asleep. Is there any real reason for the caffeine besides the mental stimulant? and are there any products like it without all the stimulants?
I know there is a lot of questions here, thanks for any info.
Josh

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
No way 2000 cals is enough at 240lbs (and doing serious excercise).

Get your head off supplements. Squats, deads, and bench are what you need a heavy dose of.

The only thing I would even consider is a high quality protein, creatine mono, and bcaas. That is all anyone needs.

dreamlander

Awards
I understand that the weight lifting is the most important factor.

Are you saying I will lose muscle on a 2000 calorie diet? That is really my question can I gain muscle while losing 2 pounds of fat a week? not sure what my body fat% is but I think I have plenty to lose.

I use protein, creatine mono, and the superpump has bcaa's in it. Once I use the superpump up I will probably just use a bcaa. You a say high quality protein, What is generally considered high quality?

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
At 240 pounds I would take in more calories than 2,000.

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
if op is overweight, who cares about muscle sparring at this point, we dont know whats under the hood

id say keep the cals low, do your p90x, and max id supplement with a good protein blend and some aminos like ibcaa from primordial (cheap), or if flavor is an issue i like pwer shock from vpx

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand that the weight lifting is the most important factor.

Are you saying I will lose muscle on a 2000 calorie diet? That is really my question can I gain muscle while losing 2 pounds of fat a week? not sure what my body fat% is but I think I have plenty to lose.

I use protein, creatine mono, and the superpump has bcaa's in it. Once I use the superpump up I will probably just use a bcaa. You a say high quality protein, What is generally considered high quality?
you will probably lose some muscle at 2000 calories, however that does not necessarily mean losing strength.

From my perspective, a high quality protein is lean beef or bison. I barely use shakes at all.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
No way 2000 cals is enough at 240lbs (and doing serious excercise).

Get your head off supplements. Squats, deads, and bench are what you need a heavy dose of.

The only thing I would even consider is a high quality protein, creatine mono, and bcaas. That is all anyone needs.
This...X2