AGMATINE: any one with personal experience?

jeanlolonnais

jeanlolonnais

Awards
Looking for personal experience with Agmatine. I've read alot of studies and articles. Alot of conflicting theories about this supplement. But very few specifics. I have heard that it produces a long lasting pump but Im wondering about any of the other mentioned effects?

I have read not to stack with DAA. I have also heard of people stacking it with DAA.

I have heard that, theoreticaly, it doesent or shouldnt produce pumps.

I have heard that it produces great pumps.

I have seen it advertised as a nootropic. I have also heard that it could have negative effects on cognitive function.

Any users out there care to chime in?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I take a gram prior to working out - have liked it a great deal.

Can you please provide some more information on your points above, about it not providing a pump or negative cognitive function etc? Thanks.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes I have heard all those before as well. But from personal experience with it it dose produce a good pump and does put me in a positive mood. I'm no doctor or scientist so I can't say wether or not it causes and damage but from experience it does work. Also they say the same thing about daa being an excito toxin but many take that with good experiences too. I don't think it would hurt to stack the two for a period of time.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Most of the negative things I have read about it I heard here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/138866-agmatine.html
Yes I have heard all those before as well. But from personal experience with it it dose produce a good pump and does put me in a positive mood. I'm no doctor or scientist so I can't say wether or not it causes and damage but from experience it does work. Also they say the same thing about daa being an excito toxin but many take that with good experiences too. I don't think it would hurt to stack the two for a period of time.
Well, as far as any concerns, I ONLY dose pre-workout, and never exceed 1g (one serving) per day of the product I'm using. So that's only one serving, once a day, 4-5 times a week.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, as far as any concerns, I ONLY dose pre-workout, and never exceed 1g (one serving) per day of the product I'm using. So that's only one serving, once a day, 4-5 times a week.
This is how I use it...

blackscorp

Awards
I take it about an hour before my workout. No need to take it everyday. Agmatine is one of my favorite products. Ever since I tried it I loved it.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This^^^the dosing time seems to be equally important ~~Most take it 1 hour pre wo

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
This^^^the dosing time seems to be equally important ~~Most take it 1 hour pre wo
1 hour? This is interesting... I always do it 35-40 minutes before my first rep.

Is this common practice, I wonder why such a long time lapse between dosing and training? Thanks! :)

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I take it about an hour before my workout. No need to take it everyday. Agmatine is one of my favorite products. Ever since I tried it I loved it.
Why? I've use the stuff and I can't say I've noticed anything from this product. According to Dinoiii it's supposed to be the "Holy Grail" of bodybuilding supplements. It gets pretty low ratings overall.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not all that hyped up on it. It does produce nice pumps but so do a lot of things. It also supposedly increases gh release but by how much I don't know.

jeanlolonnais

jeanlolonnais

Awards
Well after doing a search of Dinoiii and Agmatine and reading the first thread that comes up, I must say I am even more confused now.

I guess the only thing to do now is actually try it for myself.

I just purchased my second round of Focus XT ( love this stuff man ) and wanted to add something to make it a little more conducive to working out. I was thinking DAA and Agmatine. Then I read not to run them together. From what I gather one would inhibit the others effectivness. So eventually I went with DAA from SNS. I loved the bulk DAA from NP so I know what to expect from DAA. I guess my next go around will be with Agmatine. Im just not sure what to expect with Agmatine other than a solid pump.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agmatine is awesome pre-wo. No one was using it pre-wo until HemaVol came out. It's funny, when we released HemaVol just about everyone called us stupid since "Agmatine can't create an immediate pump"...lol guess not!

OP, check out HemaVol. It provides a full 1000mg dosing of Agmatine, along with a HUGE 5000mg dose of Citrulline Malate(along with some other goodies). There is no pump even remotely similar to this stuff.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested in this supplement.....may have to pick some up in the near future.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agmatine is awesome pre-wo. No one was using it pre-wo until HemaVol came out. It's funny, when we released HemaVol just about everyone called us stupid since "Agmatine can't create an immediate pump"...lol guess not!

OP, check out HemaVol. It provides a full 1000mg dosing of Agmatine, along with a HUGE 5000mg dose of Citrulline Malate(along with some other goodies). There is no pump even remotely similar to this stuff.
I logged Hemavol and LOVED the crazy pumps it brought!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It depends on which form you're taking it IMO.

If you have bulk powder, 30 mins. Compressed tablets = 60 mins. Capsules = 45 mins.
Never really thought about how compressed tabs might take longer for the body to break down. When I use hemoval (compressed tabs) I take 30 mins pre with all my other pre workout stuff - I'll try taking it 60 mins next time

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1 hour? This is interesting... I always do it 35-40 minutes before my first rep.

Is this common practice, I wonder why such a long time lapse between dosing and training? Thanks! :)
If you look at the many reviews of SNS' Agmatine at BB you will see most found dosing 1 hr to pre wo the best. PM a SNS rep and see if they can link you to the threads

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't:tragedy:

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
It depends on which form you're taking it IMO.

If you have bulk powder, 30 mins. Compressed tablets = 60 mins. Capsules = 45 mins.
Thanks a lot, good point about variations in delivery forms changing dosing times.

I have the MAN Blueprint, which are capsules, so looks like I'm nearly perfect on dosing.

Bulk powder you say? Where can I find such magical fairy dust!?

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Outstanding, NP USED to carry it in bulk, but it's been out of stock for quite some time AFAIK.

Bry17

Awards
  • Established
Can you please provide some more information on your points above, about it not providing a pump or negative cognitive function etc? Thanks.
Here are just a few examples of the positives of agmatine.

"Based on these findings, agmatine appears to be an endogenous neuromodulator of mental stress. The possible roles and/or beneficial effects of agmatine in stress-related disorders, such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, merit further investigation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17927294

"Abstract

Objective.  Agmatine, decarboxylated arginine, was shown in preclinical studies to exert efficacious neuroprotection by interacting with multiple molecular targets. This study was designed to ascertain safety and efficacy of dietary agmatine sulfate in herniated lumbar disc-associated radiculopathy.

Study Design.  First, an open-label dose escalation study was performed to assess the safety and side-effects of agmatine sulfate. In the follow-up study, participants diagnosed with herniated lumbar disc-associated radiculopathy were randomly assigned to receive either placebo or agmatine sulfate in a double-blind fashion.

Methods.  Participants in the first study were recruited consecutively into four cohorts who took the following escalating regimens: 1.335 g/day agmatine sulfate for 10 days, 2.670 g/day for 10 days, 3.560 g/day for 10 days, and 3.560 g/day for 21 days. Participants in the follow-up study were assigned to receive either placebo or agmatine sulfate, 2.670 g/day for 14 days. Primary outcome measures were pain using the visual analog scale, the McGill pain questionnaire and the Oswestry disability index, sensorimotor deficits, and health-related quality of life using the 36-item short form (SF-36) questionnaire. Secondary outcomes included other treatment options, and safety and tolerability assessment.

Results.  Safety parameters were within normal values in all participants of the first study. Three participants in the highest dose cohort had mild-to-moderate diarrhea and mild nausea during treatment, which disappeared upon treatment cessation. No other events were observed. In the follow-up study, 51 participants were randomly enrolled in the agmatine group and 48 in the placebo. Continuous improvement of symptoms occurred in both groups, but was more pronounced in the agmatine (analyzed n = 31) as compared with the placebo group (n = 30). Expressed as percent of baseline values, significantly enhanced improvement in average pain measures and in quality of life scores occurred after treatment in the agmatine group (26.7% and 70.8%, respectively) as compared with placebo (6.0% [P ≤ 0.05] and 20.0% [P ≤ 0.05], respectively). No treatment-related adverse events were noted.

Conclusions.  Dietary agmatine sulfate is safe and efficacious treatment for alleviating pain and improving quality of life in lumbar disc-associated radiculopathy."
Effect of Agmatine Against Cell Death Induced by NMDA and Glutamate in Neurons and PC12 Cells

"Therefore, it is conceivable that agmatine, coreleased with glutamate, may act to
inhibit the activation of NMDA receptors during conditions leading to higher glutamate
release. Further in vivo studies, measuring the release of agmatine along with
glutamate are required to verify this hypothesis.
In summary, we have provided evidence that agmatine is a neuroprotective
molecule and reduces excitotoxic cell death induced by glutamate or NMDA.

Reactions: mw1
jeanlolonnais

jeanlolonnais

Awards
Great info in this thread guys, thanks for the responses.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any of you guys take Agmatine*on leg day?

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
a lot of people are worried that Agmatine has NMDA antagonist activity, but think, you aren't administering large doses chronically, and if it THAT much of an affinity for the NMDA receptor you'd get hallucinations like a ketamine or PCP. Also, I read a study that agmatine, increases after learning, possibly to regulate glutamate hyperactivity after learning.

Dana Houser has a huge write-up over at bb.com and he kind of debunked some of the worries while providing a wealth of information about the safety and efficacy of agmatine.

Increase peptide hormone release, even NGF, it works on the adrenergic autoreceptor and that's where you get the serenity, regulate and increases the release of beta-endorphins, increase nerve recovery after peripheral nerve damage, increase insulin sensitivity, prevention of dopaminergic neuron loss, decrease damage from ischemia, there are a myriad of benefits.

Check out Houser's or Howser's or however you spell his name's write-up, type in agmatine on pubmed, and do some reading. People love to jump on and hate any supplement with theoretical or potential side effects in the central nervous system or elsewhere, but don't bat an eyelash at certain pharmaceutical and OTC drugs with KNOWN side effects like suicide, decreased immune system activity, joint problems, ulcers, cardiovascular problems, etc. I'd honestly take the anectdotal evidence of safety of agmatine over the last few years over some of the studies I've seen pass for pharmaceutical drugs (or lack thereof) that have gotten approved by the FDA. Off-label treatment of autism with BH4 had like 12 total participants in one study, and 2 in the other. Vioxx and Celebrex had no participants.

Reactions: mw1
StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Too much pump to complete the workout?
Yeah! After squats my legs are just so pumped and the rest of my workout is ruined. So I was thinking about either dropping down to 500mg or just not taking any on leg day.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you take a full grams?
Yes 1 g exactly one hour prior to lifting. I've herd of a few going doing 5 or 6 caps (not many) but i have found no reason to go that high. Additionally, I've been using it for a few months straight and have yet to build a tolerance.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes 1 g exactly one hour prior to lifting. I've herd of a few going doing 5 or 6 caps (not many) but i have found no reason to go that high. Additionally, I've been using it for a few months straight and have yet to build a tolerance.
This basically sums up my practice and my opinion.