Urgent Action Alert: The Leahy Bill is BACK! BAD FOR SUPPLEMENTS!!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is very important to the availability and freedom of supplements. Big pharmacy is once again attacking the supplement industry, and wants to make Vitamins and any supplement with health benefits or hormone altering ability illegal to make and then turn them into prescription medications. Read more about it at the link or just take my word for it you do not want this bill passed through Congress!!!!!

At this link you can click a link to send an email to your Congress reps an email stating you do not support this bill. It will take 2 minutes of your time. Send your friends a PM and get them to this thread or copy this into your own log and get the word out, this bill must be squashed!!!

The Leahy Bill is BACK! | Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"Now the bill has been re-introduced in the Senate as S.216. The language is better. First, the jail term now is for violators of specific sections of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C) who knowingly and intentionally defraud or mislead and do so with conscious or reckless disregard of a risk of death or serious bodily injury. And second, the jail term applies to food violations, which the Senate Judiciary staff confirmed with ANH-USA would in this instance exclude dietary supplements, although based on their past behavior the FDA may not interpret it that way."

I know the knee-jerk response to these bills is always how big pharm is trying to take away our rights, but I personally don't see a problem with companies being held accountable for what they are selling, especially with compounds that have long lasting effects. If a company cheats me out of some grams of protein, I don't really care, but when it comes to messing with hormone levels, that isn't something I want to trust a flashy label or random people on the net I've never met before. I believe this move is going to happen sooner or later, so our best bet is to get people who are knowledgable to come forward and pass a fair bill that protects both the companies and the consumers.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont see anything wrong with a penalty for selling misbranded supplements, especially if they are knowingly doing so, like putting steroids in supplements

Atreyubeat

Atreyubeat

Awards
I dont see anything wrong with a penalty for selling misbranded supplements, especially if they are knowingly doing so, like putting steroids in supplements
X2, I remember a few companies, *cough cough* (SX), you all know who I am talking about, who put some undisclosed ingredients in their products....not good.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Guys you might want to read the the OP original article before just blowing this off. You all should know by now that the gov. isnt that simple with things.

Pay special attention to the “Adulterated or misbranded” part.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree the bill is to harsh and not worded correctly. I was just saying in general, improving quality control is a good thing. I just dont think thats the best way to do it

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quality control is a plus, but giving the government the ability to deem what is good and bad is not going to help the supplement industry.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Guys you might want to read the the OP original article before just blowing this off. You all should know by now that the gov. isnt that simple with things.

Pay special attention to the “Adulterated or misbranded” part.
I did read the article and included part of it in my response. I ask you to go and read the actual bill and not the commentary on an obviously biased site.

"knowingly and intentionally to defraud or mislead" That does not and can not be spun to deal out fines or jail time for mistakes. But if some douche wants to toss in some extra crap to make have their product have better results than the competition at the risk of the consumer, then yes, I want them to pay.

A huge part of why I like this site is because most here preach responsible use of AAS and PHs. Anytime an 18 year old kid shows up saying they want to run superdrol, they are 100% of the time told not to do it so young. But if companies are not held accountable for what they put in their product, then that same 18 year old kid can walk into a GNC and buy a product they think is safe, but could have ingredients that are going to mess them up for life.

We're obviously not going to agree on this issue, but, as cynical as I can be, not every government action is about taking away our rights and not every company should be left on the honor system. But that is just my opinion.

*gets off soapbox*

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its like the saw sequels... they just keep coming back and no one wants to see them..

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I did read the article and included part of it in my response. I ask you to go and read the actual bill and not the commentary on an obviously biased site.

"knowingly and intentionally to defraud or mislead" That does not and can not be spun to deal out fines or jail time for mistakes. But if some douche wants to toss in some extra crap to make have their product have better results than the competition at the risk of the consumer, then yes, I want them to pay.

A huge part of why I like this site is because most here preach responsible use of AAS and PHs. Anytime an 18 year old kid shows up saying they want to run superdrol, they are 100% of the time told not to do it so young. But if companies are not held accountable for what they put in their product, then that same 18 year old kid can walk into a GNC and buy a product they think is safe, but could have ingredients that are going to mess them up for life.

We're obviously not going to agree on this issue, but, as cynical as I can be, not every government action is about taking away our rights and not every company should be left on the honor system. But that is just my opinion.

*gets off soapbox*
so then you read this part

Only after a food or ingredient is taken through the New Drug Approval process can a manufacturer educate consumers about the potential of the supplement or food to prevent or treat disease. This is an expensive process—and since food and dietary supplements are natural they cannot be patent protected, which means manufacturers could never hope to recoup the millions (sometimes billions) of dollars necessary to go through the NDA process. Food manufacturers cannot even cite legitimate peer-reviewed science on their website without being guilty of misbranding—and thus subject to up to ten years in prison.
and this part

“adulteration (section 402)” says that a dietary supplement is considered adulterated if it does not follow “current good manufacturing practices” (CGMPs)—which are extremely broad, even containing such minor provisions as record-keeping practices. In other words, the FDA could threaten a ten-year jail sentence for minor paperwork errors if the agency took the position that the bill did apply to supplements.
I have no problem with measures being taken to make sure that supplement companies are responsible for what they put in their products, my problem is this bill doesnt do just that. As usaul the government has decided to piggy back other issues that they think should be included. I dont think a company should have go through Drug Approval process to be able to bring a supplement to market. How do you think that will go? Supplement manufacturers will have no choice to push the cost on to use, maybe tripleing the cost of supplements.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

and this part

I have no problem with measures being taken to make sure that supplement companies are responsible for what they put in their products, my problem is this bill doesnt do just that. As usaul the government has decided to piggy back other issues that they think should be included. I dont think a company should have go through Drug Approval process to be able to bring a supplement to market. How do you think that will go? Supplement manufacturers will have no choice to push the cost on to use, maybe tripleing the cost of supplements.
As I said, I have read the article and the actual bill. Maybe I'm crazy, but expecting a company that makes a product that affects hormone levels to keep records of what is in each batch doesn't seem to be asking too much. GMP and SOPs are pretty universal and not only used in the drug industry.

As for this scare tactic of them labeling supplements as drugs, they've been banging that drum since the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. Key thing here is "1994". Was a while back and supplements are still supplements. And this is because that act came about by supplement companies lobbying for it. Which brings me to the next part.

Now if you would see my original response to this thread, I promote getting people from the supplement field together with legislators and introducing a bill that would be fair to both the consumer and the producer. Waiting around and sending these mass email things to senators doesn't work.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

and this part

These were my concerns as well. Too many loopholes, Vitamin Makers could be in trouble for misbranding, just about ever Glucose Disposal Agent on the market would no longer be able to tout the positive effects on insulin sensitivity, or that they stimulate the glut 4 reaction causing an uptake in the nutrients.

I definitely agree that if someone puts a steroid in a natural product, or an illegal stimulant or thyroid medication in a weight loss supplement they should be punished. However they don't need a new law for this. That is already a felony, just the same as selling crack cocaine. It is a felony possession, and distribution charge. We don't need another law on the books to prosecute these people or for that matter anyone knowingly involved in the operation. Also as you posted earlier if this does not apply to supplements then someone putting a steroid in a supplement wouldn't then be covered under this so they could then get away with it? No, it is till a jail-able offence because the distribution of illegal substances is already illegal.

With that being said, I doubt the FDA will have a problem in making the leap that any supplement containing animal product or vegetation farmed for the purpose of human ingestion can be considered as a food product. That would include natural herbs, and protein powders.

As far as the other portion of the mislabeling part regarding knowingly and intentionally defrauding or misleading on the label. Fraud is already a felony charge as well and the very definition is what is described in the language above so once again, why is the bill needed?

Some may see my statement of facts, and my opinon formed by them as a stretch but the language completely leaves it open to interpretation. Unfortunately in my opinion when the Government is the one interpreting it, it is typically to benefit the lobbiest with the most money to toss at them.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As I said, I have read the article and the actual bill. Maybe I'm crazy, but expecting a company that makes a product that affects hormone levels to keep records of what is in each batch doesn't seem to be asking too much. GMP and SOPs are pretty universal and not only used in the drug industry.

As for this scare tactic of them labeling supplements as drugs, they've been banging that drum since the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. Key thing here is "1994". Was a while back and supplements are still supplements. And this is because that act came about by supplement companies lobbying for it. Which brings me to the next part.

Now if you would see my original response to this thread, I promote getting people from the supplement field together with legislators and introducing a bill that would be fair to both the consumer and the producer. Waiting around and sending these mass email things to senators doesn't work.
I have no issue with the idea of everyone using a GMP manufacturing facility. I also agree with your stance that people from the supplement field and the legislators should get together and introduce a fair bill to handle supplements. However I would argue the statement that the only reason supplements are still supplements was due to that act. Saying that these mass email things don't work, getting enough people to contact their representatives that want their vote next election has a decent amount to do with why supplements are still supplements. Letting your representatives know your stance so they can actually represent you is your responsibility. If people don't do it then they should definitely not bitch and complain when something is not done as they had hoped. If they don't speak out when it matters then they don't really have the right to vent about their disappointment in the situation.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

You keep missing the point. Of course i expect companies to keep records and of course i would like regulation of what companies put into their products, but this isnt just about hormones this is about everything. The the bill is so vague and allows for too many loopholes.

Basically im not really a PH guy or NO type guy(nothing wrong with that) i mostly use staple type products like protein,fish oil, superfoods, anti-oxs, some other things for heart health etc. and i dont want to see these thing triple in price because companies have to jump through hoops just to get them to the market. we already have presciption Fish Oil out, you cant tell me that pharma companies wouldnt try to get OTC Fish Oil off the shelves.

Your last paragraph hits this on the head they need to come up with a better compromise.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
However I would argue the statement that the only reason supplements are still supplements was due to that act. Saying that these mass email things don't work, getting enough people to contact their representatives that want their vote next election has a decent amount to do with why supplements are still supplements. Letting your representatives know your stance so they can actually represent you is your responsibility. If people don't do it then they should definitely not bitch and complain when something is not done as they had hoped. If they don't speak out when it matters then they don't really have the right to vent about their disappointment in the situation.
I agree except the site you originally posted attacks the the DSHEA of 94 and was screaming foul about how it was going force all supplements to be labeled as drugs and now they praise it. And we'll have to agree to disagree on these internet petitions. Maybe I'm just cynical after having pushed so many for the sciences and have seen senators still vote against the majority. What I'm saying is that these petitions are a nice start, but if we want to take control, we're going to have to go further. That doesn't mean running for Congress or even going to D.C. A phone call will go a lot further than a mass email campaign.

BlueLineFish

BlueLineFish

Awards
I am still stocking up on everything to be safe.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree except the site you originally posted attacks the the DSHEA of 94 and was screaming foul about how it was going force all supplements to be labeled as drugs and now they praise it. And we'll have to agree to disagree on these internet petitions. Maybe I'm just cynical after having pushed so many for the sciences and have seen senators still vote against the majority. What I'm saying is that these petitions are a nice start, but if we want to take control, we're going to have to go further. That doesn't mean running for Congress or even going to D.C. A phone call will go a lot further than a mass email campaign.
Fair enough. Debates are always interesting to me and I always end up a little more informed than I was in the beginning by hearing others views. It is very easy to be cynical when it comes to the government. Unfortunately probably easier than not being so. It is good to have these conversations though. Awareness is important which is why I posted the link. Definitely not a non-bias web site but one that sends me an alert when stuff like this comes up. I went to look for a spot to petition the original bill and found that site, not so much was on the site and found the bill. I feel I do at least have to cast my vote IE send an email to my Reps if I want to be able to complain if things don't go my way. I tend to tell others to shut up if they don't vote on things. You didn't vote on the Presidential Election you have no right to complain about the President type of thing. So I have to hold myself to that same standard.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am still stocking up on everything to be safe.
These scare tactic threads come up a lot. Them seem to help supplement companies sell a lot of stuff to a lot of people that don't need them. Its pretty funny actually because nothing ever comes of it. I've been around a while and have seen this same type of thread over and over and over again. Nothing ever happens except some supplement companies get a boost in sales.