im about to buy some BCAAs. how should i consume them,how much should i take,and when

rza

Awards
im 5 foot 4, 45 kg, and i want to get a 24 inch waist without losing weight, with my current waist about 26/27 inches.

if you hadnt guessed im a bit of a 'noob'.

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
Should say on the label. Alot of people use them diffrently. I use them pre during and post. Too sum that's too much. Sum just use it post. Everybody's diffrent and it can b spendy so find what works for u

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i use mine between breakfast and 2nd meal.....and intra workout

JD Intl

JD Intl

Awards
im 5 foot 4, 45 kg, and i want to get a 24 inch waist without losing weight, with my current waist about 26/27 inches.

if you hadnt guessed im a bit of a 'noob'.
I use Optimum Nutrition BCAA 1000 and I take 2 45mins before my workout and 2 after my workout and if I really hit the weights hard that day I will take 2 more that afternoon after lunch… I only take 4 total on non workout days.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Experimentation for your personal preferences is the best advice.

Since your just starting I recommend one serving preworkout and one serving during workout.

Off days one serving after breakfast is optional.

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
I usually take mine right after breakfast and then another serving before workout. The after breakfast serving I just kind of sip on through the morning.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you aren't sure how you are going to use it yet, buying it is a bad idea. there are a lot of different strategies and amounts of BCAAs you can use. Some guys use as high as 40-50g a day at which point you are looking at a kilo and a half a month. Figuring out how you plan to use it first will tell you how much you need to buy at the very least.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you aren't sure how you are going to use it yet, buying it is a bad idea. there are a lot of different strategies and amounts of BCAAs you can use. Some guys use as high as 40-50g a day at which point you are looking at a kilo and a half a month. Figuring out how you plan to use it first will tell you how much you need to buy at the very least.
True, key factors are

1) body fat percentage the lower you're body fat the lower your leptin levels and the higher chance of catabolism therefore a greater amount of BCAA's needed...

2) Diet - if I am not in a calorie deficit I don't use them much the lower the calories the higher need.

3) Activity level the higher the activity the greater the need, I always use them around activity where the need is the greatest, fasted cardio is a good example.

So it's not something you can just say take X amoint.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I would just grab the largest bulk unflavored bcaa tub you can find (it's most economical) and sip on them throughout the day. There really isn't a bad time to ingest them. I would definitely suggest intra-workout though. Just make sure you have a good flavoring agent.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would just grab the largest bulk unflavored bcaa tub you can find (it's most economical) and sip on them throughout the day. There really isn't a bad time to ingest them. I would definitely suggest intra-workout though. Just make sure you have a good flavoring agent.
And patience, I hate buk, it tastes nasty and it always foams up on me...

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
I use Axcell, tastes great without having to tweak at all, just throw it in the shaker cup with cold water and start sipping a little before my workout and during. It has higher leucine ration than other BCAA out there, with a few other goodies thrown in. I love it and BCAA's are one the best supps u can add to your stash. Personally I've experienced great recovery time with this.

If you'd like to read about it
http://www.athleticxtreme.com/arsenal/axcell/

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
^^^^agreed with my mtl brother....the closest to tasting decent bulk wise was primordial's, but not more than 10g into the map, and id still add a 1/4 tbsp of gatroade for flavor

vpx power shock is my favorite by far, tastes super lite, xtend sloshes around too much, like intra aide, and intrabolic is in between......but these ones are expensive if you are going to use them other than intra, where aminos really shine

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
I use Axcell, tastes great without having to tweak at all, just throw it in the shaker cup with cold water and start sipping a little before my workout and during. It has higher leucine ration than other BCAA out there, with a few other goodies thrown in. I love it and BCAA's are one the best supps u can add to your stash. Personally I've experienced great recovery time with this.

If you'd like to read about it
http://www.athleticxtreme.com/arsenal/axcell/
True true.. The taste of Artic Berry is a class of its own, and it's kinda awesome that it dissolves so quickly too, most other BCAA's takes ages to dissolves :/

If you're interested in a sweet deal, check out this thread:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/athletic-xtreme/169525-limited-axcell-promotion.html

Each box contains:
1 Bottle of AXcell Artic Berry
1 Bottle of AXcell Sparkling Orange
1 Blender Bottle
2 Samples of the NEW Stimulant-X with 1-MeTIQ

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got some unflavored bulk BCAAs recently, and they taste rather milky actually (but still largely "flavorless"). They are kind of nasty inside protein shakes, but anything else including solo it's pretty good.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^^agreed with my mtl brother....the closest to tasting decent bulk wise was primordial's, but not more than 10g into the map, and id still add a 1/4 tbsp of gatroade for flavor

vpx power shock is my favorite by far, tastes super lite, xtend sloshes around too much, like intra aide, and intrabolic is in between......but these ones are expensive if you are going to use them other than intra, where aminos really shine
Yah and Recoverpro is coming back ...with a new flavour...

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Gatorade powder, map, and ibcaa's is yummy, map and ibcaa's is ok, ibcaa's straight is doable, I like adding xtend as well to the ibcaa's to give them some extra flavor.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
how should i consume them: mixing up some powder and drink them.
how much should i take: 10 to 20G
when during workout and after, mix up a batch and sip during and after workout

buy in bulk to be most cost effective but understand plain bcaa are bitter so a flavoring is typically used like gatoraid or crystal lite, also vitaberry by PP

-VPX POWER SHOCK - great stuff, has amino nitrates, this is my choice right now.

-USP LABS MODERN BCAA'S - its economical but mixes foamy, still unsure of its quality, have tried 2 tubs so far.

-ON AMINO ENERGY - used 1 sample, good flavoring, and mixability, don't care for the "energy blend" added caffeine.

-ALRI CHAINED OUT tried this as a sample, liked very much, very good flavoring, and great mixability (its on my list of things to get)

-Nutrabio BCAA5000 its a 2:1:1 ratio, no extras, economical but must use a flavoring like crystal lite. Similar to USP labs in that its foamy which I think is because L-Leucine is typically not easily dissolved. Sometimes the bits of unmixed amino leave a white crusty mustash on my lips which eventually someone says "whats that"

-PURPLE WRATH - Great flavor, not just bcaa, kinda pricey

-XTEND - watermelon awesome (best tasting), kind of pricey, directions say mix 2 scoops but then say for a man mix 4 scoops....good quality but it goes fast, not economical.

-IBCAA not tried yet but its also one I want to experiment with

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5 grams BCAAs (2:1:1) 2 hours after every meal.

5 grams before gym

10 grams after gym

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
scooter, if you try the ibcaa's, I would cut it with xtend first, either that or atleast some crystal lite, the flavor is a bit harsh initially, especially since you are used to fairly well tasting amino solutions. It does mix great though, no foam or crystals.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do the "BCAA drip" where you put about 20-30g in a gallon jug and drink throughout the day.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got some unflavored bulk BCAAs recently, and they taste rather milky actually (but still largely "flavorless"). They are kind of nasty inside protein shakes, but anything else including solo it's pretty good.
I have just straight up 2:1:1 ratio powder, tastes kind of bitter and does not mix well with water, clumps. Have found it does dissolve in water with protein and also in Lit Up mix if I give it a chance. I like to mix 2 scoops of lit up with 16-20oz water, add 5 g BCAA powder, down half of it right off and add more water and sip on it in the early stages of my lifting. Works for me.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
I do the "BCAA drip" where you put about 20-30g in a gallon jug and drink throughout the day.
Nice. I was looking for a way to incorporate BCAA's easily into my daily routine. Didn't even think to just mix them all up and sip on them throughout the day. Can always stash in the fridge/add ice.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use gear hands down but I am starting the aminos from prolab and comparing them.

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer Primordial's Ibcaa's, 25grams post-workout.

Liquid 2009

Awards
I love Gear from NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM and BCAA from PowerChews.com

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gear I think is by far the most versitile amino acid product on the markt.

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
The BCAA drip is not as beneficial as spiking levels according to Layne's recent studies.

5g BCAA 2 hours postprandial with a spike protocol rather than stroking it is proving to be better according to his research.

Experiment with both and see which works better for you

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The BCAA drip is not as beneficial as spiking levels according to Layne's recent studies.

5g BCAA 2 hours postprandial with a spike protocol rather than stroking it is proving to be better according to his research.

Experiment with both and see which works better for you
Agreed because I read Layne Norton's study on this and then implemented into my contest prep exactly and had great results.

Here's the basics:
*.05g of leucine for every kg (not pound) of your weight.
*Take it all at once, not through an extended period as you will not get the same muscle protein synthesis response.
*Don't dose it again for ~two hours, again to maximize MPS response.

Here's the thread that goes into detail about it:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130081023

The three most important things for me in choosing a BCAA product are as follows:
1. Profile. It needs to have what my body needs, leucine, isoleucine, and valine in at least a 2:1:1 ratio and no extra needless crap like glutamine.

2. Mixability. I'm tired of all the amino products out there that foam up and leave a cloud of crap on top, which some never dissipate. One of the best one's for mixing are those that use Ajipure and are instanized like Labrada BCAA Power. Unfortunately I think the taste of that one is less desirable.

3. Taste. Sure you're a bodybuilder and should just man up and slam it blah blah blah. Bottom line is that if I'm drinking it all the time, I get tired of drinking crap that I can't wait to be done with. One of my favorite amino powders for taste is Axis Labs N'Gage.