Melatonin. Good or bad for testosterone. - AnabolicMinds.com

Melatonin. Good or bad for testosterone.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Melatonin. Good or bad for testosterone.

I've searched this site and on google about melatonin's effects on testosterone and some articles say it reduces test levels, some say it raises test levels and some say it doesn't have any real effect. I'd like to hear what your experience with melatonin is, whether or not it helped or harmed your workout. I took melatonin once and it seemed to help me fall right asleep, which is why I'm asking because if it won't effect my test level in a negative way I'm going to be using it maybe not often but on college night when I can't get to sleep.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I've searched this site and on google about melatonin's effects on testosterone and some articles say it reduces test levels, some say it raises test levels and some say it doesn't have any real effect. I'd like to hear what your experience with melatonin is, whether or not it helped or harmed your workout. I took melatonin once and it seemed to help me fall right asleep, which is why I'm asking because if it won't effect my test level in a negative way I'm going to be using it maybe not often but on college night when I can't get to sleep.
    Don't know if it raises or lowers test but I use it when I'm on cycle to help me get to sleep. I've never noticed anything negative while using it besides the vivid dreams.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  217 lbs.

Are There Any Side-Effects?

According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning grogginess, mild depression, and low sex drive. In past studies, researchers have given people up to 600 to 3,000 times the usual doses - without causing any toxicity.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

My doctor told me you can take 15-20gms easily without any side effects. I don't always put much faith in doctors though. Anyway, some times it helps me sleep other times it does nothing. As far as it's effect on test I would imagine the increase or decrease would be so minimal if anything at all... That's a complete guess just from my experience. I just think we would see more threads about this if it caused dudes to have limp d!ck...

5. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Libido levels aren't necessarily indicative of testosterone levels. Only way to know for sure is to get bloods done. I doubt it has much of any effect on them but I don't know for sure. Either way it isn't meant go be used every day anyway. I use it sparingly for better sleep not as a staple supplement.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have 2 blood tests done from before using melatonin and 2 blood tests from during use. Granted, there are a ton of other factors, but my test has been up on the latest blood work.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  7. New Member

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2002 Jan;71(1):37-45.

Melatonin inhibits estrogen receptor transactivation and cAMP levels in breast cancer cells.
    Kiefer T, Ram PT, Yuan L, Hill SM.

Department of Structural and Cellular Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA.

Abstract
    We have previously demonstrated that the pineal hormone, melatonin, can inhibit the growth of estrogen receptor-alpha (ERalpha)-positive breast cancer cells and suppress ERalpha gene transcription. To investigate the relationship between the estrogen response pathway and melatonin's growth inhibition, ERalpha-positive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells were transiently transfected with an estrogen response element (ERE) luciferase reporter construct and then treated with melatonin (10(-9)-10(-6) M) for 30 min followed by 10(-9) M 17-beta-estradiol (E2) or treated with each compound alone. Melatonin pre-treatment significantly reduced E2-induced ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha-ERE binding activity. We also conducted experiments to determine if melatonin modulates cAMP levels in MCF-7 cells. Melatonin inhibited the forskolin-induced and E2-induced elevation of cAMP levels by 57 and 45%, respectively. These data indicate that melatonin can act as a biological modifier to affect ERalpha transcriptional activity by regulating signal transduction pathways which impinge on the ERalpha and by altering E2-mediated ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha DNA binding activity.

PMID: 11859872 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  8. New Member

I would include it in every hormonal cycle (not PCT), for it's properties stated above. Plus the fact that it may improve sleep,that is where the money is. Sleep=growth. It is a hormonal, however, so treat it like one and cycle off.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSWOLE View Post
    I would include it in every hormonal cycle (not PCT), for it's properties stated above. Plus the fact that it may improve sleep,that is where the money is. Sleep=growth. It is a hormonal, however, so treat it like one and cycle off.
    When would you suggest cycling it? I've never taken anything I had to cycle.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've used it at high doses(20-30mgs) for long periods of time with no negative sides that I have ever noticed...libido, depression etc. No labs to confirm but everything I've read mostly indicates it is a decent hormone and great antioxidant with anti-cancer properties. LEF.org speaks highly of it, but then they sell it as well.
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I only take it when I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping. So Maybe 2-3 nights a weeks. I would use it on a day to day bases.

Judo what you think?

12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    I only take it when I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping. So Maybe 2-3 nights a weeks. I would use it on a day to day bases.

Judo what you think?
    This is exactly what I do too, but I throw in 200mg of Valerian for insurance. Me needs me sleep!
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kanakafarian View Post
    This is exactly what I do too, but I throw in 200mg of Valerian for insurance. Me needs me sleep!
    If you want a good buzz throw some kava kava and l dopa in with that little stack makes me feel crazy relaxed

14. New Member

Doesn't have to be a planned out "cycle" so to speak. Just give yourself time off of it, or use it only when you feel needed. As with anything....keep it simple.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Doesn't have to be a planned out "cycle" so to speak. Just give yourself time off of it, or use it only when you feel needed. As with anything....keep it simple.
    I was thinking 2-3 times a week is that too much?
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I was thinking 2-3 times a week is that too much?
    That's how i do it but if I don't need it I will skip and some times not use for a week or 2

17. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

If you want a good buzz throw some kava kava and l dopa in with that little stack makes me feel crazy relaxed
    What is this Kava Kava you speak of? I have horrible sleep patterns so I am always on the hunt for something to help me get a more restful nights sleep

I recently bought this set

Supposedly it plays certain wavelength to stimulate certain parts of your mind which helps you achieve various things. I was listening to the Alpha CD earlier today while in the tub with some Epsom salt and within 2 minutes I was out of it straight dreaming, I mean some vivid ass day dreaming that I completely forgot I was in the tub. Gonna Delta CD tonight to see if it helps me sleep better
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Melatonin inhibits estrogen receptor transactivation and cAMP levels in breast cancer cells.

Department of Structural and Cellular Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA.

Abstract
    We have previously demonstrated that the pineal hormone, melatonin, can inhibit the growth of estrogen receptor-alpha (ERalpha)-positive breast cancer cells and suppress ERalpha gene transcription. To investigate the relationship between the estrogen response pathway and melatonin's growth inhibition, ERalpha-positive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells were transiently transfected with an estrogen response element (ERE) luciferase reporter construct and then treated with melatonin (10(-9)-10(-6) M) for 30 min followed by 10(-9) M 17-beta-estradiol (E2) or treated with each compound alone. Melatonin pre-treatment significantly reduced E2-induced ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha-ERE binding activity. We also conducted experiments to determine if melatonin modulates cAMP levels in MCF-7 cells. Melatonin inhibited the forskolin-induced and E2-induced elevation of cAMP levels by 57 and 45%, respectively. These data indicate that melatonin can act as a biological modifier to affect ERalpha transcriptional activity by regulating signal transduction pathways which impinge on the ERalpha and by altering E2-mediated ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha DNA binding activity.

I wouldn't base your whole opinion on this because it is one study, was in cell cultures, and cancer cells don't always react the way that others do. Seems worth looking further into though.

Looking through pubmed, melatonin does seem to interact with test and estro, but to what extent doesn't seem to be very conclusive. I wouldn't personally make a habit out of it, but a few days a week or when you are having problems sleeping is a good idea. Something that will give you good, natural sleep unlike some sleep meds will only help your health and test.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

i take melatonin every night... 10 grams.. i never cycle off

my test levels are in the 800s
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    I've also done fasting and doseing and felt grealt anabolicness , deffint hunger but I'm stronger than that keep full and vascular and strength gose up
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/177245-swollen87s-training-log.html
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post

Holy ****! Mine come in 5mg tabs.. That's a lot of tabs and a pretty expensive habit.

21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Holy ****! Mine come in 5mg tabs.. That's a lot of tabs and a pretty expensive habit.
    hahahaha i f-d up....

10 MILLIGRAMS....

ex-junkie... you get what im saying...
    I've also done fasting and doseing and felt grealt anabolicness , deffint hunger but I'm stronger than that keep full and vascular and strength gose up
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

hahahaha i f-d up....

10 MILLIGRAMS....

ex-junkie... you get what im saying...
    lol I was gonna say....

23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

from all my research it does suppress testosterone

maybe very small doses do not like 3 mcgs or something like that (not mg's)

I used to take it back in college, not anymore

Hghpro works nice for sleep as a supplement
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post

Personal research or can you point me towards some examples of studies?
    Thanks
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

What makes it suppress testosterone?
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

please post these studies, as all the research i have done has pointed toward RAISING test and GH...

its even been suggested to take melatonin before a workout for its gh boosting ability

... i still take 10 mg every night... my test stays in the 800s
  27. BBB
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Abstract

This is very good information. A little research will show that AR alpha has a prolific effect on prostate growth while ER beta has and anti-prolific effect. Therefore, anything that reduces AR alpha and E2 activity should provide positive benefits. DIM is also very good for ER alpha and E2 modulation.
  28. Banned
    Stats
    6'3"  217 lbs.

everytime I take Melatonin, I don't wanna wake up and I'm tired as hell for the whole day ! why is that ?
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

I sort of get the same thing in a way, even though i only take a 3mg tablet. Apparently that can happen, i believe we may just be a bit more sensitive to it than others and hence even the next morning we still have some of the effects of it. Although i do sort of wake up somewhat after i have a shower and go to work, but even still i know i do feel a little more sleepy than usual. But at the same time it does help me get a better sleep than i would otherwise get so i still value its uses.
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Is that ALL u take to assist you with sleep? just curious

A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

My doctor told me you can take 15-20gms easily without any side effects. I don't always put much faith in doctors though. Anyway, some times it helps me sleep other times it does nothing. As far as it's effect on test I would imagine the increase or decrease would be so minimal if anything at all... That's a complete guess just from my experience. I just think we would see more threads about this if it caused dudes to have limp d!ck...
    15-20 grams is a pretty high dose. I doubt many people will have no side effects at that level. I start feeling side effects around 10 grams. Groggy, lathargic and very irritable the next day. I definetely will notice a drop in libido and performance if I take too much. To get to the topic though if melatonin helps you sleep then you should actually raise test levels. Poor sleep can lead to low test levels. Just watch how much you take.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  32. Handsome and intelligent

I am not keen on relying upon anything to help me get to sleep on a frequent basis.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Is that ALL u take to assist you with sleep? just curious

yeah i dont take anything but melatoning...

ive taken pretty much everything possible for sleep from GBL to seroquel xanax ambien ect...

melatonin is the only thing i take regularly... (when i need it) at least 4 or 5x a week
  34. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

I take 1.5 mg of melatonin I had a very bad sleep cycle up all night sleep all day, This has worked wonders for me and at this rate 180 servings 6 dollars you just cannot beat that
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

It stopped working for me at 3mg, I haven't tried increasing it though. Ironically if I take it, I'm now more likely to wake up early and get less sleep than if I do take it.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.

It stopped working for me at 3mg, I haven't tried increasing it though. Ironically if I take it, I'm now more likely to wake up early and get less sleep than if I do take it.
    But don't you notice that even though you get less hours, you feel much more rested? At least that's what happens to me. I sleep for around 5 hours but I wake up feeling like a champ.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kanakafarian View Post
    But don't you notice that even though you get less hours, you feel much more rested? At least that's what happens to me. I sleep for around 5 hours but I wake up feeling like a champ.
    Nope, I just wake up have to piss and feel kind of groggy now.
  38. Senior Member

10 grams? Wow. You mean 10mg right? I have the standard 3mg tabs, I take one and never cycle off, but if I take two (6mg) it actually keeps me up.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

my libido is there but my erections suffer on melatonin thoughts?
  40. Handsome and intelligent

Quote Originally Posted by standon View Post
    my libido is there but my erections suffer on melatonin thoughts?
    What dose you using and how often?

Ideally, taper down and stop using it. A natural sleeping pattern is ideal if possible.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. melatonin lowers or raises testosterone levels?
    By JoeHT in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
  2. Are testosterone boosters GOOD or BAD???
    By lift or die in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 07:28 PM
  3. Melatonin lowers testosterone?
    By Delita420 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
  4. looking for a good testosterone increase supplement
    By East1600Plus in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
  5. Replies: 9