Melatonin. Good or bad for testosterone.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I've searched this site and on google about melatonin's effects on testosterone and some articles say it reduces test levels, some say it raises test levels and some say it doesn't have any real effect. I'd like to hear what your experience with melatonin is, whether or not it helped or harmed your workout. I took melatonin once and it seemed to help me fall right asleep, which is why I'm asking because if it won't effect my test level in a negative way I'm going to be using it maybe not often but on college night when I can't get to sleep.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I've searched this site and on google about melatonin's effects on testosterone and some articles say it reduces test levels, some say it raises test levels and some say it doesn't have any real effect. I'd like to hear what your experience with melatonin is, whether or not it helped or harmed your workout. I took melatonin once and it seemed to help me fall right asleep, which is why I'm asking because if it won't effect my test level in a negative way I'm going to be using it maybe not often but on college night when I can't get to sleep.
Don't know if it raises or lowers test but I use it when I'm on cycle to help me get to sleep. I've never noticed anything negative while using it besides the vivid dreams.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are There Any Side-Effects?

According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning grogginess, mild depression, and low sex drive. In past studies, researchers have given people up to 600 to 3,000 times the usual doses - without causing any toxicity.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My doctor told me you can take 15-20gms easily without any side effects. I don't always put much faith in doctors though. Anyway, some times it helps me sleep other times it does nothing. As far as it's effect on test I would imagine the increase or decrease would be so minimal if anything at all... That's a complete guess just from my experience. I just think we would see more threads about this if it caused dudes to have limp d!ck...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Libido levels aren't necessarily indicative of testosterone levels. Only way to know for sure is to get bloods done. I doubt it has much of any effect on them but I don't know for sure. Either way it isn't meant go be used every day anyway. I use it sparingly for better sleep not as a staple supplement.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I have 2 blood tests done from before using melatonin and 2 blood tests from during use. Granted, there are a ton of other factors, but my test has been up on the latest blood work.

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2002 Jan;71(1):37-45.

Melatonin inhibits estrogen receptor transactivation and cAMP levels in breast cancer cells.
Kiefer T, Ram PT, Yuan L, Hill SM.

Department of Structural and Cellular Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA.

Abstract
We have previously demonstrated that the pineal hormone, melatonin, can inhibit the growth of estrogen receptor-alpha (ERalpha)-positive breast cancer cells and suppress ERalpha gene transcription. To investigate the relationship between the estrogen response pathway and melatonin's growth inhibition, ERalpha-positive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells were transiently transfected with an estrogen response element (ERE) luciferase reporter construct and then treated with melatonin (10(-9)-10(-6) M) for 30 min followed by 10(-9) M 17-beta-estradiol (E2) or treated with each compound alone. Melatonin pre-treatment significantly reduced E2-induced ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha-ERE binding activity. We also conducted experiments to determine if melatonin modulates cAMP levels in MCF-7 cells. Melatonin inhibited the forskolin-induced and E2-induced elevation of cAMP levels by 57 and 45%, respectively. These data indicate that melatonin can act as a biological modifier to affect ERalpha transcriptional activity by regulating signal transduction pathways which impinge on the ERalpha and by altering E2-mediated ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha DNA binding activity.

PMID: 11859872 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Reactions: BBB
SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
I would include it in every hormonal cycle (not PCT), for it's properties stated above. Plus the fact that it may improve sleep,that is where the money is. Sleep=growth. It is a hormonal, however, so treat it like one and cycle off.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I would include it in every hormonal cycle (not PCT), for it's properties stated above. Plus the fact that it may improve sleep,that is where the money is. Sleep=growth. It is a hormonal, however, so treat it like one and cycle off.
When would you suggest cycling it? I've never taken anything I had to cycle.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've used it at high doses(20-30mgs) for long periods of time with no negative sides that I have ever noticed...libido, depression etc. No labs to confirm but everything I've read mostly indicates it is a decent hormone and great antioxidant with anti-cancer properties. LEF.org speaks highly of it, but then they sell it as well.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I only take it when I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping. So Maybe 2-3 nights a weeks. I would use it on a day to day bases.

Judo what you think?

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I only take it when I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping. So Maybe 2-3 nights a weeks. I would use it on a day to day bases.

Judo what you think?
This is exactly what I do too, but I throw in 200mg of Valerian for insurance. Me needs me sleep!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is exactly what I do too, but I throw in 200mg of Valerian for insurance. Me needs me sleep!
If you want a good buzz throw some kava kava and l dopa in with that little stack ;) makes me feel crazy relaxed

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't have to be a planned out "cycle" so to speak. Just give yourself time off of it, or use it only when you feel needed. As with anything....keep it simple.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't have to be a planned out "cycle" so to speak. Just give yourself time off of it, or use it only when you feel needed. As with anything....keep it simple.
I was thinking 2-3 times a week is that too much?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want a good buzz throw some kava kava and l dopa in with that little stack ;) makes me feel crazy relaxed
What is this Kava Kava you speak of? I have horrible sleep patterns so I am always on the hunt for something to help me get a more restful nights sleep

I recently bought this set

Supposedly it plays certain wavelength to stimulate certain parts of your mind which helps you achieve various things. I was listening to the Alpha CD earlier today while in the tub with some Epsom salt and within 2 minutes I was out of it straight dreaming, I mean some vivid ass day dreaming that I completely forgot I was in the tub. Gonna Delta CD tonight to see if it helps me sleep better

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Melatonin inhibits estrogen receptor transactivation and cAMP levels in breast cancer cells.

Department of Structural and Cellular Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA.

Abstract
We have previously demonstrated that the pineal hormone, melatonin, can inhibit the growth of estrogen receptor-alpha (ERalpha)-positive breast cancer cells and suppress ERalpha gene transcription. To investigate the relationship between the estrogen response pathway and melatonin's growth inhibition, ERalpha-positive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells were transiently transfected with an estrogen response element (ERE) luciferase reporter construct and then treated with melatonin (10(-9)-10(-6) M) for 30 min followed by 10(-9) M 17-beta-estradiol (E2) or treated with each compound alone. Melatonin pre-treatment significantly reduced E2-induced ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha-ERE binding activity. We also conducted experiments to determine if melatonin modulates cAMP levels in MCF-7 cells. Melatonin inhibited the forskolin-induced and E2-induced elevation of cAMP levels by 57 and 45%, respectively. These data indicate that melatonin can act as a biological modifier to affect ERalpha transcriptional activity by regulating signal transduction pathways which impinge on the ERalpha and by altering E2-mediated ERalpha transactivation and ERalpha DNA binding activity.

I wouldn't base your whole opinion on this because it is one study, was in cell cultures, and cancer cells don't always react the way that others do. Seems worth looking further into though.

Looking through pubmed, melatonin does seem to interact with test and estro, but to what extent doesn't seem to be very conclusive. I wouldn't personally make a habit out of it, but a few days a week or when you are having problems sleeping is a good idea. Something that will give you good, natural sleep unlike some sleep meds will only help your health and test.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i take melatonin every night... 10 grams.. i never cycle off

my test levels are in the 800s

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Holy ****! Mine come in 5mg tabs.. That's a lot of tabs and a pretty expensive habit.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Holy ****! Mine come in 5mg tabs.. That's a lot of tabs and a pretty expensive habit.
hahahaha i f-d up....

10 MILLIGRAMS....

ex-junkie... you get what im saying...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
from all my research it does suppress testosterone

maybe very small doses do not like 3 mcgs or something like that (not mg's)

I used to take it back in college, not anymore

Hghpro works nice for sleep as a supplement

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Personal research or can you point me towards some examples of studies?
Thanks

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards

What makes it suppress testosterone?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established

please post these studies, as all the research i have done has pointed toward RAISING test and GH...

its even been suggested to take melatonin before a workout for its gh boosting ability

... i still take 10 mg every night... my test stays in the 800s

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established

Abstract

This is very good information. A little research will show that AR alpha has a prolific effect on prostate growth while ER beta has and anti-prolific effect. Therefore, anything that reduces AR alpha and E2 activity should provide positive benefits. DIM is also very good for ER alpha and E2 modulation.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
everytime I take Melatonin, I don't wanna wake up and I'm tired as hell for the whole day ! why is that ?

lonewolf77

Awards
I sort of get the same thing in a way, even though i only take a 3mg tablet. Apparently that can happen, i believe we may just be a bit more sensitive to it than others and hence even the next morning we still have some of the effects of it. Although i do sort of wake up somewhat after i have a shower and go to work, but even still i know i do feel a little more sleepy than usual. But at the same time it does help me get a better sleep than i would otherwise get so i still value its uses.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is that ALL u take to assist you with sleep? just curious

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
My doctor told me you can take 15-20gms easily without any side effects. I don't always put much faith in doctors though. Anyway, some times it helps me sleep other times it does nothing. As far as it's effect on test I would imagine the increase or decrease would be so minimal if anything at all... That's a complete guess just from my experience. I just think we would see more threads about this if it caused dudes to have limp d!ck...
15-20 grams is a pretty high dose. I doubt many people will have no side effects at that level. I start feeling side effects around 10 grams. Groggy, lathargic and very irritable the next day. I definetely will notice a drop in libido and performance if I take too much. To get to the topic though if melatonin helps you sleep then you should actually raise test levels. Poor sleep can lead to low test levels. Just watch how much you take.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Is that ALL u take to assist you with sleep? just curious

yeah i dont take anything but melatoning...

ive taken pretty much everything possible for sleep from GBL to seroquel xanax ambien ect...

melatonin is the only thing i take regularly... (when i need it) at least 4 or 5x a week

standon

Banned
Awards
I take 1.5 mg of melatonin I had a very bad sleep cycle up all night sleep all day, This has worked wonders for me and at this rate 180 servings 6 dollars you just cannot beat that

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
It stopped working for me at 3mg, I haven't tried increasing it though. Ironically if I take it, I'm now more likely to wake up early and get less sleep than if I do take it.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
It stopped working for me at 3mg, I haven't tried increasing it though. Ironically if I take it, I'm now more likely to wake up early and get less sleep than if I do take it.
But don't you notice that even though you get less hours, you feel much more rested? At least that's what happens to me. I sleep for around 5 hours but I wake up feeling like a champ.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
But don't you notice that even though you get less hours, you feel much more rested? At least that's what happens to me. I sleep for around 5 hours but I wake up feeling like a champ.
Nope, I just wake up have to piss and feel kind of groggy now.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established

10 grams? Wow. You mean 10mg right? I have the standard 3mg tabs, I take one and never cycle off, but if I take two (6mg) it actually keeps me up.

standon

Banned
Awards
my libido is there but my erections suffer on melatonin thoughts?

standon

Banned
Awards
What dose you using and how often?

Ideally, taper down and stop using it. A natural sleeping pattern is ideal if possible.
1.5 mg a night which isnt anything, Idk it got my circadian rythm back tho so I quit taking it

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
my libido is there but my erections suffer on melatonin thoughts?
It will do that. Take a lower dose or don't take it at all. It's not for everyone.

purebred

What is this Kava Kava you speak of? I have horrible sleep patterns so I am always on the hunt for something to help me get a more restful nights sleep

I recently bought this set

Supposedly it plays certain wavelength to stimulate certain parts of your mind which helps you achieve various things. I was listening to the Alpha CD earlier today while in the tub with some Epsom salt and within 2 minutes I was out of it straight dreaming, I mean some vivid ass day dreaming that I completely forgot I was in the tub. Gonna Delta CD tonight to see if it helps me sleep better
I recently received the Delta and Theta sets as complimentary gift. I like the Delta. Not so impressed with the Theta though. Pandora plays better music to meditate to on my Nightmares On Wax station. I like to meditate to acid jazz, ambient, chill, lounge music.

Personally, I can't really get into the groove of melatonin as I am part of that small percentage who experience morning grogginess. It's hard enough for me to get out of bed in the morning after 8-9 hrs of sleep as it is. 500 mcg is more than enough for me. I think I began experiencing tachycardia when I read StakedCop's post about his doctor suggested 20g. I don't think I'd wake up for 27 hrs!!

Pro_MAX

Pro_MAX

Awards
I would think it would help....good sleep helps with production of test and hgh.

Moonchild

Awards
About Testosterone Levels

I believe that you still since 2010 using Melatonin I wonder if you T levels still pretty much the same, I will appreciate if you can let me know, because It affected my T level a lot.
Thank You.