Intraworkout drinks necessary?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is an honest question and in no way is meant to bash any company that produces an intraworkout supplement, especially those that sponsor this board.

That said, are intraworkout drinks really necessary or is it more of a marketing thing? I have a preworkout drink and my postworkout shake and water seems to be working fine in the middle there. I'm curious to hear if anybody has noticed benefits to working an intraworkout into their routine.
Thanks!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they can be beneficial, but u dont NEED it. honestly, u dont NEED any supplement other than a multi IMO. that being said, supplements can be beneficial with proper diet and training.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I've been lifting for about 17 years or so and I've never used an intra until this past month. Do I notice a difference? I honestly don't think so but it's cheap enough to use it if it gives me even the slightest edge. I'm full-steam in the gym and if I can get an extra rep or two with the use of an intra, I'll use it.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I don't think intra is critical during weight/resistance training unless you are doing a very long workout. Water is fine.

However, if you are doing cardio or cardio + weight/resistance training and you don't mind some carbs, then it's not a bad idea to help keep your energy level high for a long hard cardio session or both activities back to back.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is an honest question and in no way is meant to bash any company that produces an intraworkout supplement, especially those that sponsor this board.

That said, are intraworkout drinks really necessary or is it more of a marketing thing? I have a preworkout drink and my postworkout shake and water seems to be working fine in the middle there. I'm curious to hear if anybody has noticed benefits to working an intraworkout into their routine.
Thanks!
Intraworkout products are NOT necessary, no. However, everyone has their personal preference and some individuals like to use them, whereas others do not. I've never really used them, and the few times I have when I have been given a sample, don't notice a difference with or without them. I just drink water during my training, which generally lasts from 1-4 hours a day.

~Rosie~

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intraworkout products are NOT necessary, no. However, everyone has their personal preference and some individuals like to use them, whereas others do not. I've never really used them, and the few times I have when I have been given a sample, don't notice a difference with or without them. I just drink water during my training, which generally lasts from 1-4 hours a day.

~Rosie~
Agreed

S

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Personally i get nauseous if i drink anything other than water during my workouts, but I keep fairly quick pace.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I sometimes sip BCAA's like Body Mortar while lifting, but mostly I just drink water. Now, when I run my endurance races I use Intra's. Race courses always offer water and gatorade or powerade. Those help, but a better product could be use IMO. The point is when covering 26.2 miles and you are not replenishing your electrolytes, glycogen stores etc, it could turn into a very bad race. I say could because there are guys who only drink water the whole time and kill it in good time. Everything is flexible like this and depends on you, your body, and what you are doing to it.

Ultimately, if I had to throw a hardline down I would say they are not necessary and neither is any other supplement (unless it's to correct a body deficiency. Proper Nutrition and Proper Hydration are always going to be the two absolute necessities. Everything else is, well, supplementation.

G

gwulbrecht72

Awards
Not critical but I do see when I drink my Modern BCAA I feel faster recovery between sets .. Juss sayin.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A preworkout and post workout shake aren't necessary either... `

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
As the other good users wrote, it's not necessary, but some feel that it intensifies their workout. I'm a big fan of AXcell, drinking something chilled and good like that during the training always cranks out a little extra from me. The extra energy it gives is sure welcome during the heavy sets on legs and chest. The rest between the sets is noticeably less then when not being on it...

My next in line would be anything that is chilled, as I kinda get overheated during the training. Being thirsty during workout is a big no no for me... So that's why I prefer a good tasting BCAA during my workouts! :afro:

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not critical but I do see when I drink my Modern BCAA I feel faster recovery between sets .. Juss sayin.
I used the bluerasberry during a few workouts. Good stuff...since it has a high leucine content that was my reason for using it during WO

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
Sometimes I like 1/2 gatorade 1/2 water mix
I thought Gatorade was a no no intra due to the sugars in it and the insulin spike it will cause. I also heard it is not good to drink afterwards either (prior to any post shake)...

Last edited:
Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I thought Gatorade was a no no intra due to the sugars in it and the insulin spike it will cause. I also heard it is not good to drink afterwards either (prior to any post shake)...
Gatorade is the original intra-workout drink. The goal is too keep your energy levels up so you can keep performing at a optimal level. Depending on how hard and how long you have been exercising your gonna hit a wall eventually if you don't re-fuel in some way. Gatorade is a excellent way of keeping you fueled without eating a meal. You want to sip on it between sets or breaks to get in a small steady level of energy into your system instead of chugging down a lot at once. Take a look at the athlete. In between breaks of play they drink a small cup of gatorade or squirt it in their mouth.

If your going to be training over a hour it should be considered. Especially intense training. If your training intensity is low where your not going to be burning much calories then it wouldn't be necessary. For example a day in the gym where you just work your arms and do walk.

Today I'm doing legs and sprints so most likely I'm going to be using gatorade because I know it's going to be very intense,long and i'm going to be losing a lot of sweat.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The sugars are the best way to restore ATP, loss of glycogen stores, and it has also been shown to keep cortisol spikes down during training

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone who has taken high dose BCAAs intra workout not experienced benefit?

Taking around .4g/kg bodyweight it is much harder to get sore than it is without taking them and I find I can train more frequently while still making strength gains.

C

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not necessary. But can for sure be beneficial.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
The sugars are the best way to restore ATP, loss of glycogen stores, and it has also been shown to keep cortisol spikes down during training
I found 2 quickie articles one on insulin spikes and the other on hormones.

Reading like this would leave one to believe you are prohibiting GH release by spiking your insulin during weight training. The most important point in regards to growth hormone is that growth hormone levels increase significantly when insulin levels are low.

http://www.betterbodyjournal.com/diet-and-healthy-eating-articles/the-careful-art-of-insulin-spikes

http://fitnessforoneandall.com/nutrition/article/hormones/part_one.htm

Am I misunderstanding the articles?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Reading like this would leave one to believe you are prohibiting GH release by spiking your insulin during weight training. The most important point in regards to growth hormone is that growth hormone levels increase significantly when insulin levels are low.

http://www.betterbodyjournal.com/diet-and-healthy-eating-articles/the-careful-art-of-insulin-spikes

Perhaps. perhaps you are just misunderstanding that making a simple statement of "GH release is lower during times of high insulin levels" doesn't mean that the insulin release is less valuable than the amount of GH "lost" or that either for body composition or fat loss well timed insulin spikes create value. Definitely during bulking the insulin release is more valuable than the GH release. And even on a cut an insulin spike that causes greater anabolic effect during a time period when you have temporary high calories doesn't do more for maintaining muscle mass than may be lost in fat loss from GH

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
My understanding that the GH release is cyclical with the largest and most beneficial releases coming during sleep. And, who's to say the body can't monitor the insulin levels and time the releases when they decline?

FWIW, most of the supps claiming to release GH state to not take them with carbs, not to take them after a big meal or withing 2-3 hrs of eating, or something similar.

I don't think you can conclude that taking in carbs during exercise will interfere with GH release. But I could be wrong.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
During exercise your body is becoming depleted of glycogen stores in your muscle, which are required for the contraction of that muscle.

Taking a fast acting sugar like dextrose (d-glucose) will replenish these the fastest.

The insulin spike thing is a little exaggerated IMO. It is much more important to have enough ATP and energy in the muscle you need than worry about a little spike in insulin. And the only reason there may be a spike in insulin will be to get the sugar to the muscle.

The spike in cortisol seen without enough ATP, IMO, is worse than the spike in insulin you may see from drinking a sports drink.

As much as some may dislike gatorade, out of all supplements and drink etc etc, they have by far done more research on glucose drinks than anyone. Whether it was them doing it or someone else doing it.

I always felt that there should be more dextrose in Gatorade though.

I think both sides have its advantages, water vs dextrose drink. Just have to decide what you are after the most.

Thats why i usually do 1/2 water 1/2 gatorade :D

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I always felt that there should be more dextrose in Gatorade though.
The small amount of sucrose in gatorade is probably added for sweetness and taste. It's much sweeter then dextrose.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
That is true. I guess the maltodextrin added is for a more "delayed release" of sugar as well
You must be talking about the bottled drink? I can't find the ingredients of the bottled mix online but I know in the past the powder and the bottle had small ingredient differences. I know in 2010 they got rid of high fructose corn syrup altogether. I have the powder and it does not contain maltodextrin. The one thing I don't like about gatorade is over consumption of electrolytes, especially sodium. Everyone should know that it was developed for athletes and it should be used during intense exercise. Gatorade is perfectly fine letting everyone including sedentary people, drink it like it's just water. From years of working in the gym I saw so many people bringing in gatorade with no other reason then because it was "gatorade". "The athletes drink it!" All that gatorade did was add extra sugar and sodium to their bad diets.

I like their accelerade line. They really had something going there when they came out with it. 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein with electrolytes. They still make it but haven't seen them market it in a long time. I really don't know why they focus all their marketing on the G series. Accelerade is the one that should be taken before, during, and after.

Their prime #3 is one of the most disgusting drinks I have ever had. Great it has protein but why the sucralose? Accelerade would be better here. They have recently come out with a natural line finally. With all the sugar already in there there's no need for artificial flavoring or colors. Hopefully someday they will change that too.

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
That is true. I guess the maltodextrin added is for a more "delayed release" of sugar as well
The problem with simple sugars like dextrose and sucrose is that you can't exceed 6-8% solution without osmality going above 303. The sugar will remain in the stomach and can cause stomach distress. This is why most endurance athletes only use maltodextrin which is complex or a blend with little dextrose. You can make a 16-18% solution and have no problems. It also provides betters sustained energy with less crash.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You must be talking about the bottled drink? I can't find the ingredients of the bottled mix online but I know in the past the powder and the bottle had small ingredient differences. I know in 2010 they got rid of high fructose corn syrup altogether. I have the powder and it does not contain maltodextrin. The one thing I don't like about gatorade is over consumption of electrolytes, especially sodium. Everyone should know that it was developed for athletes and it should be used during intense exercise. Gatorade is perfectly fine letting everyone including sedentary people, drink it like it's just water. From years of working in the gym I saw so many people bringing in gatorade with no other reason then because it was "gatorade". "The athletes drink it!" All that gatorade did was add extra sugar and sodium to their bad diets.

I like their accelerade line. They really had something going there when they came out with it. 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein with electrolytes. They still make it but haven't seen them market it in a long time. I really don't know why they focus all their marketing on the G series. Accelerade is the one that should be taken before, during, and after.

Their prime #3 is one of the most disgusting drinks I have ever had. Great it has protein but why the sucralose? Accelerade would be better here. They have recently come out with a natural line finally. With all the sugar already in there there's no need for artificial flavoring or colors. Hopefully someday they will change that too.

I have to ask what you are talking about? Gatorade has about 450mg of sodium in a liter (110mg/8oz.) we are not talking that much for the average consumer. This is not an over abundance of electrolytes. In fact, has been one of my main gripes about the races I run using gatorade and powerade at the stations. For comparison: coffee contains approx. 5mg/cup, milk approx 130mg/cup, and water 2mg/cup.

Sure for a truly lazy person drinking lots of this stuff it can add up. But the sugar/cals will be more of a dangerous culprit as it is essentially a soda for them. But for someone who is somewhat active, it won't near being too much. Ho

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I have to ask what you are talking about? Gatorade has about 450mg of sodium in a liter (110mg/8oz.) we are not talking that much for the average consumer. This is not an over abundance of electrolytes. In fact, has been one of my main gripes about the races I run using gatorade and powerade at the stations. For comparison: coffee contains approx. 5mg/cup, milk approx 130mg/cup, and water 2mg/cup.

Sure for a truly lazy person drinking lots of this stuff it can add up. But the sugar/cals will be more of a dangerous culprit as it is essentially a soda for them. But for someone who is somewhat active, it won't near being too much. Ho
The average consumer consumes too much sodium! lol. That's what I was talking about. The average consumer is the person that comes into the gym that barely breaks a sweat, let a lone burns the calories that is in the gatorade they are drinking!!! They don't need the extra sodium or the calories.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
The problem with simple sugars like dextrose and sucrose is that you can't exceed 6-8% solution without osmality going above 303. The sugar will remain in the stomach and can cause stomach distress. This is why most endurance athletes only use maltodextrin which is complex or a blend with little dextrose. You can make a 16-18% solution and have no problems. It also provides betters sustained energy with less crash.
Waxy maize I believe is the best alternative to avoid Stomach distress as it passes the stomach very quickly.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
Perhaps. perhaps you are just misunderstanding that making a simple statement of "GH release is lower during times of high insulin levels" doesn't mean that the insulin release is less valuable than the amount of GH "lost" or that either for body composition or fat loss well timed insulin spikes create value. Definitely during bulking the insulin release is more valuable than the GH release. And even on a cut an insulin spike that causes greater anabolic effect during a time period when you have temporary high calories doesn't do more for maintaining muscle mass than may be lost in fat loss from GH
I feel you on this response. Makes sense based on Goal/Objective...needless to say it can be an elusive/tricky deal figuring out when or how or why to cause a spike to obtain a goal IMO.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel you on this response. Makes sense based on Goal/Objective...needless to say it can be an elusive/tricky deal figuring out when or how or why to cause a spike to obtain a goal IMO.
and even looking at relatively good studies, some only measure hormone response over a few trials rather than being long term and measuring body comp. So a heightened ____ vs a lowered ____ is nice to know, but does it actually affect mass gain or strength? A good example specifically with insulin/carbs is that although looking at a 2 hour window after end of cardio, doing cardio fasted with no carbs has higher lipolysis. But if midway through cardio you begin taking in a relatively small amount of carbs (I think it was 20g) then your lipolysis over the following 24 hours is raise more than having done the cardio carb free. Does that lipolysis translate into more actual fat loss? Hopefully :)

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think intra workout drinks are necessary but I do think it's a lot of the small things that give us an edge.

I'm logging purple psyKo now and it's tastes amazing. I've only had a few work outs with it but It's around 35$ at NP for 60 serving. 60 workouts is at leAst two and half months. I spend more on bottled water...

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Waxy maize I believe is the best alternative to avoid Stomach distress as it passes the stomach very quickly.
I'll second that. No stomach issues with waxy maize. Rilose powder (From rice) is also another good option.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established

Well, if that's the case fasted strength training would be the way to go..

I think this is splitting hairs personally. If you don't need carbs during WO and don't feel any diffference. Don't implement it into your training. If you do feel a benefit with intra carbs and make gains. Why not add it?

Personally, I eat my last pre-Wo meal at 3pm, take my RPM at 4:30, take a NA-Rala at 5 and start drinking my intra-shake of .5-1cup OJ and 20g BCAA/Creatine/*CAR at 5:30-45 when I start working out. Then another NA-Rala when I finish.

I save the GH release for bed time I guess. No carbs 2 hours before bed and I sleep like a babe. I've been seeing pretty solid results as far as gains and managing to stay lean..

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Looking back at the title of this then I think we can ask 3 questions.

1. Necessary? No. With proper nutrition and hydration, they not "required".

2. Can they be beneficial? Yes.

3. Does the same rule apply to everyone? No, figure it out for yourself.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
From all the research and studies Ive seen intraworkout nutrition is just as important as post workout nutrition.

P

purebred

If your working lasts 1.5 hrs or more it may be a good idea to supplement with one. Otherwise, they are not necessary by any definition of the word.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I will be writing an article concerning all the benefits of intraworkout nutrition soon ;)

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will be writing an article concerning all the benefits of intraworkout nutrition soon ;)
Will def be reading that man!
Was impressed by your Green Mag write up/post.

Will you be touching on Fasted Training & Bcaa/Intras with the upcoming article? :pirate:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Will def be reading that man!
Was impressed by your Green Mag write up/post.

Will you be touching on Fasted Training & Bcaa/Intras with the upcoming article? :pirate:
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed the Green Mag one.

Yup the article will touch on fasted training and aminos, as well as many other potential combos and their benefits =D

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Yup the article will touch on fasted training and aminos, as well as many other potential combos and their benefits =D
schweet! I'll be doing some Renegade rows in my cube later in your honor...after lunch digests a little bit more...don't want to make the chicken quesadilla upset ya know... :sombrero:

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

donde esta el article, eh hombre? :sombrero:

;)

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Intra workout is good as well if u do cardio after workout

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
I lift 4 times per week, and my sessions routinely last 1.5-2 hours. I've never used an intra-workout drink other than water. I'm gonna try the 1/2 water, 1/2 Gatorade idea, and see how I feel.

B

BigHoop65

Awards
I think the individual, their types of workouts, and the other supplements used answers that question better than an outright yes or no. As a guy who plays hours of basketball as my cardio, I will lose what lean muscle I do have if I don't stay hydrated and keep my blood amino content going.

I'm not gonna go too far on a tangent about my disdain for GATORADE but I'll say this... Too much sodium for a relatively nonexistent amount of potassium per serving and they're part of the reason why the price of whey went up. The sugar content of gatorade is something I gave up on because some people need it intra and post activity. I personally have a genetic pre disposition to diabetes in my family. Therefore my carb types are hawked at all times. I'll stick to HBCD and low GI carb supplementation when necessary.

That's the long answer... Now the Short answer... Take them if your pre doesn't provide ample aminos and means of hydration; or your activity is that extensive.

P

purebred

I lift 4 times per week, and my sessions routinely last 1.5-2 hours. I've never used an intra-workout drink other than water. I'm gonna try the 1/2 water, 1/2 Gatorade idea, and see how I feel.
I think BCAAs mixed with a carb source might be a more useful concoction.