Bulbine Natalensis Article

DHumphreys

DHumphreys

Awards
The following article is a post made by Anthony Roberts on Aug 27th, 2010 entitled "Bulbine Natalensis raises testosterone, lowers estrogen"...

Bulbine Natelnsis is the active ingredient in Anabolic Designs Bullk, which has seen people make impressive gains.

There are few herbs that actually boost testosterone, fewer that really lower estrogen, but none that do both exceptionally well – except Bulbine Natalensis. The rodent data suggests a testosterone boost of 347% compared to baseline, while lowering estrogen by 35%. And all of this is achieved at a dose of 50mgs/kg (rat dose), which translates very well to a low human dose, which would easily fit in a single daily serving. I should know…because I’ve been taking it for the past several months, and using it to boost my testosterone and lower my estrogen – with zero side effects!

Do the math…how many herbal estrogen reducers can lower it by 35%? How many herbal test boosters can raise testosterone by more than double? If Bulbine Natalensis only worked half as well as the study indicates, then we’d still have a blockbuster ingredient.

But nobody’s using it yet…and here’s the story…

In 2007 I formulated a totally unique nutritional supplement that contained Fadogia Agrestis, a Nigerian herb; the research showed that it could double testosterone levels. This modicum of success earned me a two-year sentence in the nutritional industry, where I designed three more products for two different companies (Protein Factory and Custom Capsule), before earning time off for good behavior. I pulled my own product off the market, and currently earn nothing from anything related to supplement design/formulation. I haven’t gotten paid for designing a supplement in several years. Period.

By 2008 I had been doing some research and discovered an herb called Bulbine Natalensis. I looked online and saw that nobody was using it… which was odd because it seemed really great. The numbers were all there…a huge test boost with a nice reduction in estrogen. By 2009, some people had actually posted the Bulbine abstract on Bodybuilding.com, but since they were only posting the free abstract, none of the relevant numbers were included (i.e. the actual %- testosterone boost, or the estrogen reduction).

While Fadogia has been shown in rodent studies to increase testosterone by 100% (doubling your natural test levels!), Bulbine Natalensis clocks in at 247% (i.e. you will end up with a total of 347% of your original level). It works more than twice as well as Fadogia, at half the dose. Oh, and it is several times more effective than Massularia Acuminata…but the dose is far lower (you can take 20x less). Unlike those other herbs, Bulbine doesn’t just boost testosterone, it lowers estrogen.
If you like Massularia or Fadogia, then you’re going to fall in love with Bulbine - it was studied by the same scientist, using the same protocol, with the same parameters; the only difference is that Bulbine kicks the sh!t out of them.

Because I write for a South African magazine (Muscle Evolution), and Bulbine is a South Herb, Ifigured that I could easily get my hands on some. Well…that wasn’t the case. I contacted several South African suppliers, and nobody had it. I contacted several Chinese suppliers, and although they claimed to have it, when I tested the samples it turned out to be something else (don’t ask).
The reason I wasn’t seeing Bulbine in any supplements was that nobody could get the damn stuff! I later found out that the conditions for growing the herb are ideal in South Africa, while it’s fairly difficult to grow elsewhere. In South Africa it has a folk reputation as a libido booster and fertility enhancer, and this seems to be well supported by the research.

Even though it was an exciting ingredient, I gave up on the idea by the end of 2008; totally removed it from my thoughts and carried on with my other projects.

In late 2009 I was contacted by Daniel Clough from At Large Nutrition. He was toying with the idea of adding a testosterone booster to his product line, so I started researching and formulating a product for him. I ended up purchasing a lot of scientific data, and pouring through the research. A lot of ingredients are good, but you need to take several grams of them per day – far too much to reasonably put in a capsule with other ingredients. D-Aspartic Acid comes to mind, as does Massularia Acuminata.

If I’ve been highly negative about testosterone boosters lately, it’s because I’ve used Bulbine Natalensis. Oh, and let’s not forget that I’m not on the monthly payroll of any supplement companies, and my plans to sell this stuff have already fallen through (more than once). I just thought my blog readers would be interested in my experience, and I’m sure there’s more than enough companies out there who will want to pick up the ball and run with my idea. I have no additional information to “sell” and I’m not soliciting companies to hire me…this is just a rundown of my experience.

For numerous reasons, Bulbine kept coming up as the best option, but I’d already been down that road, and it led nowhere. But what’s the use of designing a product if you can’t actually source the main ingredient? So I looked at the research available and figured out what my best options would be. The next few weeks were spent sending out a wish list of about a dozen unique herbs to various suppliers.

Just for a laugh, I put Bulbine Natalensis on the bottom of each list, knowing that nobody would have it. Almost immediately two things happened: 1.) I found a reliable supplier and paid for a sample and 2.) Daniel phoned me to say that the project was on indefinite hold. I had jumped the gun pretty badly, and through complete fault of my own, invested quite a bit of time and money into an idea that had never been officially green-lighted.

I was now stuck with a bunch of expensive medical studies ($30 each!), several months of wasted research, and 377 grams of Bulbine Natalensis on the way to my office. Even getting the 377 grams was difficult, as it required over 8 kilograms of raw material to be harvested, which was dried and powdered, and ended up as about a third of a kilogram. Now it was on the way – finally! – and I had no use for it. The South African supplier I stumbled upon had never sold the stuff before, didn’t have it on their price list (still doesn’t), and probably couldn’t imagine what the hell an American wanted with it.

I contacted some friends in the supplement industry, who wished me good luck, and told me that they weren’t interested. I was rejected by one of the largest companies currently being sold in GNC, and one of the smallest companies on the Internet. I contacted some more friends and was given the same answer. I had no promises from anyone, no contracts, and nothing promised to me at all. A few people were interested here and there, but nothing ever panned out, and I never earned a cent from this idea.

But I was still curious to see if it actually worked. I’d already invested quite a bit of money, and written it off as a loss. The least I could do is follow the project through to the end and test it on myself. There was still a lot of work to do, and I needed to determine the appropriate dose.
Bulbine Natalensis follows something called an “inverted-U” dose response curve. Imagine the letter “U,” but imagine it upside down. That’s how the dose response of this herb would appear on paper. If you take a certain amount (the dose), it raises testosterone (the response)– to a point. Once you hit the peak dose, the more you take, the lower your testosterone will go. Although it sounds odd, we see this effect with a surprisingly large number of drugs.

DHumphreys

DHumphreys

Awards
Rodents taking 25mgs/kg of bodyweight showed an average testosterone level at 260% of the control group (with a 20% estrogen reduction to boot). So, even at the lowest tested dosage, the stuff whips fadogia and a lot of other stuff out there. Rodents taking 50mgs/kg showed a tremendous 347% testosterone level compared to control. But there’s too much of a good thing – rodents taking 100mgs/kg showed a 1/3rd lower testosterone level, plus they experienced selective toxicity in some of their internal organs. That’s the inverted-U at work, and if you don’t know the right dose, and haven’t done your research, that’s what’s going to happen (although the bloodwork I have at the end of this article shows zero adverse effects for my 3 month-ish trial run).

The human equivalent dose of a drug (or nutritional supplement) is determined by a very specific mathematical formula. The way not to figure this out is to simply multiply/divide by bodyweight. Test animal weighs one kilogram? You weigh 100 kilograms? Just take 100x the dose! That’s not how it’s done.

Let’s just skip to the part where I tell you that I did a bunch of math-stuff, ended up with a number, and that’s the dose I ended up taking.

To make things quasi-scientific, I went off all nutritional supplements, and had my (free) testosterone and estrogen (E2) tested. Then I took a week’s worth of Bulbine Natalensis, once per day, before bed. I took it once per day because that’s what the rodents in the study did, and because it was easier to make fewer capsules. During this time I trained and ate normally. I used ZRT laboratories for testosterone and estrogen testing (saliva) and my primary care physician for bloodwork.

To make a long story short, I botched my calculations, and I ended up taking far too much, probably because I wasn’t using the same extract as the study (I was simply taking the raw herb). I was on the down slope of the curve. So while my estrogen was lowered by over 20%, my testosterone was also lowered by around 20% also!

The results were (and are) promising, because at least I knew that the herb did exactly what the study said it would – I just miscalculated and used too much. So I put together several weeks worth of capsules in a variety of doses, and waited a little longer before retesting. As you can see, by the time I’d readjusted my dose and had another test done, I had still achieved a lower estrogen than my baseline (going from 1.3 to 1.1, or 15% under baseline) and brought back my test levels to slightly over their accidentally lowered level (from 101 to 131, up about 30% from the depressed level):

I was finally on the right track, and as you can see, Bulbine Natalensis has a pronounced effect on both testosterone and estrogen, that I was able to control by changing the dose – which was predictably in line with the rodent study. By getting the original test done, along with two more tests at different doses, I could plug my own results into the dose response curve, and figure out where I needed to be, ideally, to get the test boost/estrogen reduction that would put me at the peak of the curve for each.

When I figured out the optimal dose, my libido was up, my strength was up, and I was gaining a bit of muscle too…then I stayed at that dose for a couple more months. Needless to say, with a huge boost in test (and reduction in estrogen), my results were phenomenal.

When I was sure that it was safe (I didn’t die), I began giving it to my friends. This is fairly standard for me…not too long ago, I gave Iron Man Magazine author Jerry Brainum, a bunch of Irvingia Gabonensis, for him to test out (I couldn’t do it personally because I was testing another herb on myself at the time). I like giving samples to other authors, because if something sucks, they’ll write about it….there’s no safety net for me or the compound.

Normally, my buddies get a month’s supply (of whatever I’m testing) and in return I get a month’s worth of data about their strength gains, bodyweight changes, libido, fat loss, etc…in this case, all of the things we’d want to experience with a testosterone booster. Maybe I’m not doing textbook science here, but at least we can say that I’ve put forth some pretty good reasoning for Bulbine Natalensis to be included in future testosterone boosters, or at least for people to look into it, right?
After I gave it to my friends – the guys I hang out with on a daily basis – I gave some to Mike Mahler, a professional in the fitness industry who has probably written and spoken as much as anyone else on hormone optimization. After a month on Bulbine Natalensis, he asked for a Summer supply! Luckily I still had plenty left over from the original bag. And just like Jerry, if the stuff was rotten garbage, Mahler woulda’ let me know. You can read about Mike’s experience on Bulbine Natalensis here.

By the end, I was sitting on a mountain of real-world data – the kind of data that you get from sweating in the gym and moving heavy iron…i.e. the kind of data that matters to us. Everyone using the stuff felt a libido boost, everyone got stronger, and everyone put on lean mass while reducing body fat. My own hormone tests showed that it was working predictably on paper, but in the real world we also care about the kind of data that shows up in the gym, not just on a hormonal profile.
When I’d been on the herb for multiple months, at what I figured was the ideal dose, I did a blood test to make sure the herb was safe. Typically, when you raise test levels and lower estrogen, you’re going to put yourself at risk to throw your body out of whack – complete blood count (CBC), blood lipids, liver enzymes, etc…can all be adversely effected. But this stuff works…it’s been quite an ordeal to get here from 2008, when I first discovered Bulbine, through researching testosterone boosters for Daniel/ALN, to the point we’re at now, where I can confidently say that it’s a winner.

Bulbine Natalensis lowers estrogen, it raises testosterone, and it had no adverse effects on me. Remember, the rodent data tells us that we’re looking at a 35% estrogen reduction, with a 347% boost in testosterone. The stuff is the real deal, even though it took me 2 years to figure it out…and at this point, I’m pretty happy saying that the raw Bulbine Natalensis herb is safe and effective. My test levels ended up higher than baseline, even after all of the messing around with bad doses…and my estrogen was lower. And you can check out my liver enzymes, lipids, etc…at the end of this article…they’re all fine.

Now, I’m onto different trials, for different herbs, still experimenting on myself…but not with Bulbine Natalensis. I plan to get some additional bloodwork (a full hormone panel) done for a before and after test on this herb, probably some time in the Autumn, and hopefully I can do some more research and figure out the upper limit of itspotential. All of that is on hold for me, though, because I’ve moved on to testing other stuff, and it’s a pain in the butt to get Bulbine…but now that I’ve put the ball in motion, I’m sure we’ll see increased interest, and probably a couple of products hitting the market before 2010 is over.

So, just to end things on the right note, I’ve got a nice copy of my blood work for you (excuse the sloppy scan-work, I combined two pages into one for the blog, and cropped my address out). But remember: this stuff isn’t magic …it’s not going to turn you into Mr. Olympia overnight, and it’s not going to put 30 lbs of muscle on you in a week - but it appears to be a very safe, very effective, testosterone booster that doubles as an anti-estrogen…and you don’t need to take 20 grams of it.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Old news. Its in 2 products that sponsor here already
And not getting the rave reviews everyone was expecting with the 347% supposed increase. Reminds me of the ATD days when ALRI was showing blood work that was over 1000 only for people to find out that a metabolite showed false positives for test.

Also, correct me if I am wrong Natty, but isn't the rat to human dosage skewed?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I should have just stuck to powerade.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
interesting article here.good old atd ah memories I remember the flaws in the atd results as well.good to know we have people who remember this kinda stuff it lete me know I'm not the only old fart here ;)

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
This appears to be another one of those herbs that looks good on paper but dose not translate into real world results. The interest in this product is quickly dying.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And not getting the rave reviews everyone was expecting with the 347% supposed increase. Reminds me of the ATD days when ALRI was showing blood work that was over 1000 only for people to find out that a metabolite showed false positives for test.

The trademarked product people are using does not say what quality or purity of extract they are using. They also dont say what part of the plant they used. The bulbine study only extracted the roots and foundd 20g raw ROOT yielded ~5g quality extract.

Most of the Bulbine I have seen for sale from africa is whole plant, or whole plant extract which would throw everything off, in a negative way.

Not sure what is being sold, havent looked into it much, but if someone wants to sell a quality extract they should do a water extraction on the roots only of the plant, and use the updated FDA conversion for human dosing, based on the extract, for 25mg/kg.

This appears to be another one of those herbs that looks good on paper but dose not translate into real world results. The interest in this product is quickly dying.
Herbs that increase testosterone at the testicular level never translates well in humans. The study only tested T levels and behavior. Behavior is extremely variable.

The study should have tested the SV weight compared to control, to show if there was any increase in androgenicicty in the rats from the increase in testosterone. If there is no increase in the androgenicicty than odds are it wont translate to humans

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

what do you mean? i've seen people post bloodwork of increases over 300%, the only ppl not happy with bulbine are the people who overdose it for their body weight

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what do you mean? i've seen people post bloodwork of increases over 300%, the only ppl not happy with bulbine are the people who overdose it for their body weight
Eh, people cant afford your product hoss. I have seen reports on the same extract with iForce.

I could care less though, so take it up with the people who say it doesn't work.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eh, people cant afford your product hoss. I have seen reports on the same extract with iForce.

I could care less though, so take it up with the people who say it doesn't work.
if you don't care, then why come in here and bash something that you have no interest in, when msot people are happy with what bulbine does for them

RUNNER 67

Awards
if you don't care, then why come in here and bash something that you have no interest in, when msot people are happy with what bulbine does for them
I wonder if you would feel this way if you werent a rep, ran a cycle of either product, and then realized...it was all just hype. Young Gotti, you are a great rep for NTBM on here and other forums...but you are a rep. Its your job to want to make people buy your product.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wonder if you would feel this way if you werent a rep, ran a cycle of either product, and then realized...it was all just hype. Young Gotti, you are a great rep for NTBM on here and other forums...but you are a rep. Its your job to want to make people buy your product.
i understand where your coming from, but i've never tried the product personally, do i plan on it? yes i do but at this time i have never ran it

i'm only posting from reviews i've read, logs i've read, and things i've personally seen.....this isn't even about ntbm, this thread is for anabolic designs and their products....which i'm sure are solid products, haven't had a chance to try anything by them yet

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But they dont have the new Ion 4 technology! This is the stuff that made that guy surf the 100 foot wave and the other guy throw the football out of the stadium. Duh
I dream of a world where ION 4 technology can be used as an alternative fuel source, while also allowing me to throw the football over the stadium dome.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Or possibly I restated stuff I have read from others experiences... the same way you are doing from the NTBM forum.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or possibly I restated stuff I have read from others experiences... the same way you are doing from the NTBM forum.
well if thats what your finding then thats fine....i'm reading different things talking about strength increase, endurance increase, leaning effect, and libido increases within the first week of use from bulbine products

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well if thats what your finding then thats fine....i'm reading different things talking about strength increase, endurance increase, leaning effect, and libido increases within the first week of use from bulbine products
Calm down there champ, I know you rep for a company that sells it, but no need to get all uppity. In my initial post you can plainly see I didn't even "bash" it as you would say. I mentioned it wasn't getting the reviews one would expect with somehow over tripling their test levels and mentioned ATD and it's metabolites. No where did I say it was a bad product.

here we go..

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calm down there champ, I know you rep for a company that sells it, but no need to get all uppity. In my initial post you can plainly see I didn't even "bash" it as you would say. I mentioned it wasn't getting the reviews one would expect with somehow over tripling their test levels and mentioned ATD and it's metabolites. No where did I say it was a bad product.

here we go..
exactly, you said it wasn't rave reviews, all i said that its getting good reviews

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will say I think its an OK test booster but I'd rather use bulk DAA. I tried iforce and ntbm the only thing about ntbm is the maca they put gives great libido boost. Iforce's version did nothing for me but I still like the company.
you've tried both? wow your on your game man

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
Post said bloodwork.
besides the 2 rats that had test increases that everything is being pinned on bulbine wise.....

iv found a ton more articles from various med sites, showing unfavorable increases in liver values, and negatively impacting the kidneys as well

its something that really needs to be looked at more

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I beg to differ. Have you been following the reviews?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
besides the 2 rats that had test increases that everything is being pinned on bulbine wise.....

iv found a ton more articles from various med sites, showing unfavorable increases in liver values, and negatively impacting the kidneys as well

The bloodwork he is referencing is from a rep. Take that as you will.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I saw the toxicity study too....very interesting

MetaBeta

MetaBeta

Awards
Let's see if Testalensis 100- by APS fairs any better. I think it was released yesterday.
APS has been pretty good, so far.....

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hahaha no. I think if you were megadosing pure bulbine extract it could raise the liver enzymes.

As for APS' stuff, from what I have read it looks like they are really trying to go for quality, and I respect that a lot. So im sure its good to go

But if you die i get your boombox

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hahaha no. I think if you were megadosing pure bulbine extract it could raise the liver enzymes.

As for APS' stuff, from what I have read it looks like they are really trying to go for quality, and I respect that a lot. So im sure its good to go

Thanks for looking out for my welfare, and my boombox lol.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am conflicted about this herb as well. Fadogia was supposed the be the greatest herb for testosterone when it came out. It was like a mythical herb for a while in 2007. Its been 4 years and still no human studies nor an extraction process that shows exactly what they are extracting for. Bulbine sounds great, just hope it doesn't go the same way Fadogia went.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have yet to find a test booster that everyone loves. not a single one has 100% positive reviews.

However, the best out there do have 90%+ positive views, which Tropinol easily places into. :)

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've tried Tropinol and PhytoSerms, and both were pretty good as far as natty test boosters go. I had more strength and aggression with both of them. I used Tropinol on its own, and PhytoSerms in PCT. The PhytoSerms helped me keep strength up (and increasing) during PCT, and did more for my libido.

I just got APS Testalensis 100, so I'll be giving that a whirl near the end of April.

I've tried quite a few natty test boosters, and I've come to expect very little from them. However, the 2 bulbine products I've tried have been better than other T boosters I've tried to date, including several AIs.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

boombox?

damn, i thought i was old school, lol.:sasmokin:

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
interesting article here.good old atd ah memories I remember the flaws in the atd results as well.good to know we have people who remember this kinda stuff it lete me know I'm not the only old fart here ;)
This just reminds me to ask, are there ANY good/wanted effects of ATD, and at what dosage are they realized. If, hypothetically, someone has a thousand capsules of it and didn't know what to do with it, and they didn't care about the loss of libido, is there a way it could be implemented or is it totally unworthy of inclusion in any protocol?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think ATD is a great compound. I would dose it far lower than most would suggest though. The original reversitol had only 12.5mg/pill(3/day max, or 37.5mg)

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
This just reminds me to ask, are there ANY good/wanted effects of ATD, and at what dosage are they realized. If, hypothetically, someone has a thousand capsules of it and didn't know what to do with it, and they didn't care about the loss of libido, is there a way it could be implemented or is it totally unworthy of inclusion in any protocol?
I think ATD is a great compound. I would dose it far lower than most would suggest though. The original reversitol had only 12.5mg/pill(3/day max, or 37.5mg)
Thanks a lot for responding, reps coming your way!

Can you please take a moment and share you thoughts regarding ATD in more detail, and how it can be used on cycle and in pct and your suggested optimal dosing and ways to avoid unwanted side effects? I just have so... so... much of it.

Dwick

Dwick

Awards
How does BN compare to a different natural test booster such as tribulus or one such as DAA? DAA seems to work very well, but if taking the herbal route, is there a proven advantage to using BN over tribulus?

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if all BN products are the same but my son-in-law (newbe) and I(20 yr. lifter) decided to run Tropinol in a side-by-side comparison. I ran two bottles a got NADA from it. I varied the dosage trying to find a sweet spot but decided there was none to be found. He ran two bottles and thought he was making gains at first but then decided that it was just the placebo effect. There was also one other lifter in our gym running Tropinol who claimed he was making gains, but we couldn't tell any difference in him.