CLA for enhanced fat loss
- 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
CLA for enhanced fat loss
I just thought I'd post up Primordial's Poopy's cut log. I don't see near enough guys using in their cuts. It's cheap and effective. Check it out.write-up after seeing
CLA from Primordial Performance.
What is CLA?
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is a naturally occurring fatty acid that reduces fat and increases lean muscle. CLA improves body composition by reducing fat storage and increasing protein retention at the same time. At the clinically effective fat loss dose, our will last 30 days.
In a nut shell, CLA is the fat of champions, created to build us a better body, a better immune system, and better arterial health. (1) CLA is a naturally occurring fatty acid, created by fermentative bacteria in the stomachs of various plant eating animals. It makes its way to our diet primarily from beef and dairy products. Since the human body cannot produce its own CLA, it must be taken through food.
Unfortunately, most of today's grain fed cattle, and conventional dairy has far less CLA than it did in the 1960's, thus leaving us with a less-than-optimal amount of CLA (about 300mg/day for the average dairy consuming American). (16-19) Unless you have access to an endless supply of natural grass-fed beef and dairy, CLA supplementation should be a staple in your supplement regimen.
Dozens of human studies have confirmed CLA can significantly reduce body fat, while increasing lean muscle at the same time. (1) CLA puts the triple on fatty tissue by killing fat cells, preventing new fat cells from being created, and preventing fat storage. (11-14) At the same time, CLA helps increase protein retention for lean muscle growth. (15) This means you can reduce flabby abdominal tissue, while simultaneously replacing it with hard dense muscle.
How exactly does CLA burn fat & increase lean muscle?
CLA alters your metabolic equilibrium for steady fat loss, rather than fat gain. It appears to accomplish this by three main mechanisms Ã¢â‚¬â€œ
Decreases fat cells by encouraging adipocyte apoptosis through TNF-a stimulation in white adipose tissue (increases fat cell death). (11,12)
Prevents adipocyte differentiation by suppressing C/EBPa (reduces fat cell creation). (13)
Reduces accumulation of fat in adipose tissue by inhibiting GLUT-4 (prevents glucose conversion to fat). (13,14)
The mechanism by which CLA increases lean muscle seems to be from its repartitioning of insulin-responsive glucose transporter 4 (GLUT-4). More specifically, CLA causes a simultaneous decrease of GLUT-4 in adipose tissue, while increasing its concentration in skeletal muscle tissue. (13,14) This increased concentration of GLUT-4 in muscle tissue allows more glycogen to be used for fueling and repairing your muscles, while allowing less glycogen to be stored as fat in adipose tissue. (15)
What kind of results should I expect?
Consider CLA as a long-term insurance plan to protect & polish your valued physique. The average America will gain 1 lb of fat per year, every year. (1) However, with CLA supplementation you can avoid this fat gain and actually become leaner. For example, in one study, men and women who took 3.4 g/day of CLA lost 4 lbs of fat over a 12 wk period, while the placebo group gained 3 lbs of fat. (29) In another human study, participants who took only 3.2 g/day of CLA lost 2.2 lbs of fat over a 6 month period, whereas the placebo group gained 1.5 lbs of fat. (10) In a 12 month study, subjects lost an average of 5.3 lbs of fat with 4.5 g/day of CLA supplementation, compared to the placebo group who gained .5 lbs of fat. (21) These results are quite significant considering that these studies were measuring actual fat tissue (not water weight) in non-exercising individuals.
Interestingly, CLA appears to target fat loss in "problem areas" dependent upon the sex. For instance, men who took 4.2 g/day of CLA for 4 weeks, showed significant reductions of fat from the abdominal region. (20) Whereas another study with overweight women showed a significant and targeted reduction of fat tissue around the thighs. (22) Who said spot reduction was impossible anyway?
What is the cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12 all about?
These are known as different CLA isomers. The c-9, trans-11 is the most abundant CLA isomer found in nature, while the trans-10, cis-12 appears to be the most metabolically active for improving body composition. However, it's been found that supplementing with equal amounts of both CLA isomers produces the desired effects without any side effects. (28) Our CLA ethyl ester provides the ideal 50/50 mix of the c-9, trans-10 and trans-10, cis-12 isomer.
What about the studies that say CLA is ineffective for fat loss?
Take this quote from the 2007 CLA study analysis by Leah D Whigham et al. Ã¢â‚¬â€œ
"Our findings indicate that the 10 human studies that showed no statistically significant effect of CLA on fat mass lacked statistical power because the treatment duration was too short, there were too few subjects, or both. For example, based on the average difference in change in fat mass of 0.09 kg/wk between CLA treatment and placebo, the expected difference at 12 wk would be 1.1 kg. Because the average SD for within-individual change in fat mass was 2.6 kg, it is estimated that it would require 44 participants in each group to have an 80% power to detect this change with a P _ 0.05"
What about the studies that have found CLA to be pro-inflammatory?
Some studies have mentioned a concern for CLA's ability to increase "inflammatory biomarkers" such as C-reactive proteins and cell count. (2,3) However, other research has shown CLA to be an anti-inflammatory, while actually reducing the risk of inflammatory related diseases, such as atherosclerosis. (4-9) Despite the fact that CLA raises certain inflammatory related "biomarkers", there have never been any human studies showing that CLA will increase inflammatory related diseases or symptoms. (1)
And what about the studies that showed CLA to reduce insulin sensitivity?
The only studies that have ever shown a reduction of insulin sensitivity in humans after CLA supplementation have been from the use of single isomers of CLA. (23,24) As it was explained earlier, an equal mix of the two CLA isomers has been shown to be safe & effective for humans, without posing any risk for decreasing insulin sensitivity. (25) In fact, multiple human studies have shown that a 50/50 mix of the c-9, t-11/t-10, c-12 isomers actually increase insulin sensitivity. (26-28) It's been hypothesized that the two aforementioned CLA isomers have a unique antagonistic relationship, thus preventing any possible negative effect on insulin metabolism when used together in a 50/50 ratio. (24)
Chalk up another health benefit for CLA!
How much CLA should I take, and when should I use it?
The recommended dose of CLA is 2 softgels, taken twice daily. This provides 3200mg of CLA, which is the same clinically effective dose that has shown to reduce bodyfat and increase lean muscle.
For the more dramatic results, up to 8 softgels can be taken daily.BODY PERFORMANCE SOLUTIONS REP
Sustain Alpha is back!
- 03-20-2011, 12:06 AM
And the references:
1. Efficacy of conjugated linoleic acid for reducing fat mass: a meta-analysis in humans
Leah D Whigham, Abigail C Watras, and Dale A Schoeller
Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, May 2007; 85: 1203 - 1211.
2. Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-dependent
oxidative stress and elevated C-reactive protein: a potential link to fatty
acid-induced insulin resistance.
Riserus U, et al.
3. Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid for 24 months is well tolerated by and reduces body fat mass in healthy, overweight humans.
Gaullier JM, et al.
J Nutr 2005;135:778–84.
4. Modulated immune-induced cachexia after immunization with arthritogenic collagen type II.
Butz D, et al.
FASEB J 2002;16:A985 (abstr).
5. Nutritional regulation of porcine bacterial-induced colitis by conjugated linoleic acid.
Hontecillas R, et al.
J Nutr 2002;132:2019 –27.
6. Feeding conjugated linoleic acid to animals partially overcomes catabolic responses due to endotoxin
Miller CC, et al.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1994;198:1107–12.
7. Conjugated linoleic acid and atherosclerosis in rabbits.
Lee KN, et al.
Atherosclerosis 1994;108:19 –25.
8. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) on establishment and progression of
atherosclerosis in rabbits.
Kritchevsky D, et al.
J Am Coll Nutr 2000;19:472S–7S.
9. Conjugated linoleic acid isomer effects in atherosclerosis: growth and regression of lesions.
Kritchevsky D, et al.
Lipids 2004;39:611– 6.
10. Conjugated linoleic acid reduces body fat and prevents seasonal weight gain among overweight adults
Abigail C Watras, et al.
FASEB J, Mar 2006; 20: A582.
11. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation reduces adipose tissue by apoptosis
and develops lipodystrophy in mice.
Tsuboyama-Kasaoka N, et al.
Diabetes 2000; 49: 1534–1542.
12. Tumor necrosis factor alpha induces apoptosis of human adipose cells.
Prins JB, et al.
Diabetes 1997; 46: 1939–1944.
13. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms.
YW Wang and PJ Jones
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, August 1, 2004; 28(8): 941-55.
14. Glucose transport: pivotal step in insulin action.
Kahn BB. Lilly lecture.
Diabetes 1996; 45: 1644–1654.
15. The effect of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation after weight loss on body weight regain, body composition, and resting metabolic rate in overweight subjects.
MM Kamphuis, et al.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, July 1, 2003; 27(7): 840-7.
16. Fatty acid composition of adipose tissue in normal and abnormal subjects.
Am J Clin Nutr 1964;15:5–10.[
17. Estimation of Conjugated Linoleic Acid Intake by Written Dietary Assessment Methodologies Underestimates Actual Intake Evaluated by Food Duplicate Methodology.
K. L. Ritzenthaler, et al.
J. Nutr., May 1, 2001; 131(5): 1548 - 1554.
18. Perspective on the safety and effectiveness of conjugated linoleic acid.
Pariza MW et al.
Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79(suppl):1132S– 6S.
19. Conjugated linoleic acid content of milk from cows fed different diets.
Dhiman et al.
J Dairy Sci. 82, (10): 2146-56.
20. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduced abdominal adipose tissue in obese middle-aged men with signs of the metabolic syndrome: a randomised controlled trial.
U Riserus, et al.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, Aug 2001; 25(8): 1129-35.
21. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation for 1 y reduces body fat mass in healthy overweight humans.
Gaullier JM, et al.
Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79:1118 –25.
22. Six months supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid induces regional-specific fat mass decreases in overweight and obese.
Gaullier JM et al.
Br J Nutr. 2007 Mar;97(3):550-60
23. Treatment with dietary trans10cis12 conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-specific insulin resistance in obese men with the metabolic syndrome.
Riserus U, et al.
Diabetes Care 2002;25:1516 –21.
24. Effects of cis-9,trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid supplementation on insulin sensitivity, lipid peroxidation, and proinflammatory markers in obese men
Ulf Risérus, et al.
Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Aug 2004; 80: 279 - 283.
25. Clinical trial results support a preference for using CLA preparations enriched with two isomers rather than four isomers in human studies.
JM Gaullier, et al.
Lipids, November 1, 2002; 37(11): 1019-25.
26. Perspective on the safety and effectiveness of conjugated linoleic acid.
Pariza MW. et al.
Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79(suppl):1132S–6S
27. Insulin resistance—associated cardiovascular disease: potential benefits of conjugated linoleic acid
Denise V Aminot-Gilchrist and Hope DI Anderson
Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Jun 2004; 79: 1159S - 1163S.
28. Conjugated linoleic acid improves insulin sensitivity in young, sedentary humans.
V Eyjolfson, et al.
Med Sci Sports Exerc, May 1, 2004; 36(5): 814-20
29. Conjugated Linoleic Acid Reduces Body Fat Mass in Overweight and Obese Humans
Henrietta Blankson, et al.
J. Nutr., Dec 2000; 130: 2943 - 2948
CLA anti-aromatase –
30. Anti-Aromatase Activity of Phytochemicals in White Button Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus)
Shiuan Chen, Sei-Ryang Oh, Sheryl Phung, Gene Hur, Jing Jing Ye, Sum Ling Kwok, Gayle E. Shrode, Martha Belury, Lynn S. Adams, and Dudley Williams
Cancer Res., Dec 2006; 66: 12026 - 12034.BODY PERFORMANCE SOLUTIONS REP
Sustain Alpha is back!
03-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the write up BlackGuy!
Definitely a big fan of CLA. It's easily overlooked because its not going to burn fat off over night. CLA combined with a balanced diet and good training will yield good results over a period of time, Not over night. It's something that should be considered a staple. If you eat a crap diet, Do not bother with CLA. It's also good for joints. I was taking Animal Flex and still had joint issues so I switched to Super Cissus and CLA and now I have no problems at all.
03-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I went with Primaforce's and its good but recently I bought 4 bags of Primordial's version and ill probably pick up some more. I noticed that Pp's cla is now in a dark gel cap btw.
( at heart )
03-22-2011, 02:09 AM
03-22-2011, 02:26 AM
03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
CLA has always been one of those things that people have been divided over--some love it, some hate it. I remember it used to be pretty popular several years ago as part of the so-called "anarchy stack." And a lot of people used to stack it with Sesamin for clean bulks.
50 Day X-Factor Advanced Log
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
03-22-2011, 08:31 PM
03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Agreed. Hence the reason I have opted not to include it in my arsenal.
I am a huge proponent of EFA's especially a diversified approach of all types of healthy fats (not just fish).
I can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money and popping that many more pills a day when there is so much debate on the subject of CLA.
Besides, Sesamin, Fish Oils and other healthy oils to some extent (mono's) are very effective for fat loss and rarely get the controversial crap to go with it. So I stick with these.
A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction" Proverbs 1:7
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice writeup. I always take 4-6g of CLA with Green tea while cutting. Not a overnight result. But def in the long haul. I'm actually on it now with Androlean.
Similar Forum Threads
- By IronMagLabs in forum IronMagLabsReplies: 4Last Post: 03-02-2015, 10:26 AM
- By diezel in forum SupplementsReplies: 33Last Post: 11-03-2011, 06:17 AM
- By jbray401 in forum SupplementsReplies: 6Last Post: 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
- By Bobaslaw in forum IGF-1/GHReplies: 41Last Post: 07-14-2008, 02:31 AM
- By Giantz11 in forum SupplementsReplies: 21Last Post: 09-01-2005, 10:46 PM