Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?

I know carbs make you fat especially the simple cars but I also know it's good to take carbs after workout, but does it matter which carbs to take without getting fat ? and how many grams ?

2. someone told me to take gatorade after workout, isnt that all sugar and crap ?
    •   

3. as a blanket statement you are incorrect stating carbs make you fat. look at rosie is she fat? no way. and ive seen her talk about how much she eats.

as for your other question many will answer differently. i personally have a mix of carbs post wo like oatmeal, banana, h20, and whey all blended. i know a guy from my gym and hid post wo is 16oz milk with a couple spoons of honey
  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Markusrulezzz View Post
    I know carbs make you fat especially the simple cars but I also know it's good to take carbs after workout, but does it matter which carbs to take without getting fat ? and how many grams ?
    This is SO incredibly wrong, as ambulldog already pointed out.

Carbs, just like any excess calories, can lead to fat gain (though arguably carbs may be able to do it a bit easier; particularly excess sugars). That's a whole other Nutrition 101 lesson that I don't want to get into here.

As far as what you take post-workout, as with virtually every other thing: it all depends on YOUR current goals.

If you're looking to cut, opt for whey isolate post-workout and an hour and a half later or so, take in some healthy complex carbs and protein from whole food. This will keep natural GH from being blunted and allow for for fat-loss.

If you're looking to gain, add in some carbs with your post-shake. I like to grind oats and use those in there. You can also add in some fruit for healthy simple sugars.

All in all, there are WAY too many variables to give ONE answer to this question. It depends on your body, how it acts/responds, and what your goals are.

*There will never be ONE right answer to this question, no matter how many different times it is asked. I've asked it myself when I was starting out and I've learned this.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

5. Quote Originally Posted by Markusrulezzz View Post
    Wow - someone needs to be EDUCATED! Carbohydrates do NOT make you fat! I get so sick of people spouting nonsense about carbohydrates being the cause of their fat and inability to lose it. Overeating and not exercising makes you fat - don't put the blame onto something else if one cannot be disciplined and take responsibility for their own body!

Whether you use carbohydrates post-workout is going to differ depending on the individual. There are several trains of thought, including no carbohydrates post-training, to maximize Growth Hormone impulses. However, I have always said (and this comes from being an athlete and actually caring about athletic performance) is to have ~50g of carbohydrates post-training. Simple carbohydrates are the best because they get into the bloodstream faster, but I actually prefer a mix of simple and complex carbohydrates. If you're going to use only simple carbohydrates immediately post-training, then have a decent meal ~30 minutes after that containing complex carbohydrates.

In the end, what you do should be specific for YOU, and the best option for YOU!

someone told me to take gatorade after workout, isnt that all sugar and crap ?
    You can use Gatorade if you want. If you want to use sugar, just use straight dextrose.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

6. Ok thank yall !

7. Quote Originally Posted by Markusrulezzz View Post
    I usually take in 30 grams of whey protein and 50 grams of simple sugars (grape juice) directly after my workout, and then have a protein/complex carb meal (30 grams protein/100 grams complex carbs) about 1-1.5 hrs. afterward. You don't have to worry about fat accumulation in the post-wo anabolic window, because your body uses this period of time to re-synthesize glycogen and replenish amino acid stores in skeletal muscle.......
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    Wow - someone needs to be EDUCATED! Carbohydrates do NOT make you fat! I get so sick of people spouting nonsense about carbohydrates being the cause of their fat and inability to lose it. Overeating and not exercising makes you fat - don't put the blame onto something else if one cannot be disciplined and take responsibility for their own body!

Whether you use carbohydrates post-workout is going to differ depending on the individual. There are several trains of thought, including no carbohydrates post-training, to maximize Growth Hormone impulses. However, I have always said (and this comes from being an athlete and actually caring about athletic performance) is to have ~50g of carbohydrates post-training. Simple carbohydrates are the best because they get into the bloodstream faster, but I actually prefer a mix of simple and complex carbohydrates. If you're going to use only simple carbohydrates immediately post-training, then have a decent meal ~30 minutes after that containing complex carbohydrates.

In the end, what you do should be specific for YOU, and the best option for YOU!

You can use Gatorade if you want. If you want to use sugar, just use straight dextrose.

~Rosie~
    Seems that the fast carb after workouts (edit) info is based off older knowledge. It is my understanding that the recent info based on studies out by Aragon is suggesting that complex carbs are still superior nutrition regardless on whether they are directly postworkout or not.

Sure simple sugars can be incorporated if they fit your macros, but the speed with which they are assimilated seems to be irrelevant, so using that as a reason to use simple sugars is outdated.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wheyfocused View Post
    Seems that the fast carb after meals info is based off older knowledge. It is my understanding that the recent info based on studies out by Aragon is suggesting that complex carbs are still superior nutrition regardless on whether they are directly postworkout or not.

Sure simple sugars can be incorporated if they fit your macros, but the speed with which they are assimilated seems to be irrelevant, so using that as a reason to use simple sugars is outdated.
    Like I said, I prefer a mix of simple and complex carbohydrates post-training.

Re sports, you'll find the simple post-training very much still practiced.

Also like I said, you have to find what works right for YOU as an individual - never mind what is conventional or supposed to be the best.

~Rosie~

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    Like I said, I prefer a mix of simple and complex carbohydrates post-training.

Re sports, you'll find the simple post-training very much still practiced.

Also like I said, you have to find what works right for YOU as an individual - never mind what is conventional or supposed to be the best.

~Rosie~

I agree you will find it still practiced. But there is enough broscience going around to practice many things that may not be the most beneficial (such as fasted cardio).

I think following the trend of legit scientific studies should be the basis for any nutrition and supplementation protocol
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by Wheyfocused View Post
    I agree you will find it still practiced. But there is enough broscience going around to practice many things that may not be the most beneficial (such as fasted cardio).

I think following the trend of legit scientific studies should be the basis for any nutrition and supplementation protocol
    There is always going to be broscience and anecdotal evidence.

That, but also personal experience, finding what works best for the specific individual in question. Individual differences must always be taken into account and what may be "beneficial" for one individual is not always going to be beneficial for another, regardless even of the "scientific evidence" for it. There are always going to be the anomalies to everything as well - trust me when I say I know that from experience!

Fasted cardio for fat loss is not better than non-fasted, I know, but some people prefer to train fasted - I know I do (I don't like having food in my stomach when training, even though when I was cycling I would chuck back several thousand calories and then go out training immediately afterwards), and I personally don't notice a difference in performance re fasted or non-fasted training.

~Rosie~

12. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    There is always going to be broscience and anecdotal evidence.

That, but also personal experience, finding what works best for the specific individual in question. Individual differences must always be taken into account and what may be "beneficial" for one individual is not always going to be beneficial for another, regardless even of the "scientific evidence" for it. There are always going to be the anomalies to everything as well - trust me when I say I know that from experience!

Fasted cardio for fat loss is not better than non-fasted, I know, but some people prefer to train fasted - I know I do (I don't like having food in my stomach when training, even though when I was cycling I would chuck back several thousand calories and then go out training immediately afterwards), and I personally don't notice a difference in performance re fasted or non-fasted training.

~Rosie~
    I fully support your right to do what you feel works best for you. But you stated earlier that simple carbs are the best for postworkout, I do not want those coming into the thread to take that as a hard truth.

The most recent scientific evidence suggests it is not the best. I also feel that when asked a question people should be given the full scope of information. And I am relating such to the poster who asked the question in the first place.

13. I take two things post workout.... Recon and UP 2.0. Covers all of my needs and is working for me. I will be switching to Chained Reaction but keeping to UP 2.0 Cinammon Roll(taste so damn good, even in water).

14. Now im confused, somone says complex carbs, someone else says simple, the rosie girl says whatever that works for you, o really ? loool

IS THERE Anyyyyyyyy research that gives only ONE ANSWER ?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Markusrulezzz View Post
    Now im confused, somone says complex carbs, someone else says simple, the rosie girl says whatever that works for you, o really ? loool

If you are looking to add postworkout carbs use oats instead of fast carbs.

Fast sugars are ok if they fit into your macros but are not optimal according to the most current scientific studies

16. Quote Originally Posted by Wheyfocused View Post
    If you are looking to add postworkout carbs use oats instead of fast carbs.

Fast sugars are ok if they fit into your macros but are not optimal according to the most current scientific studies
    Thank YOU SIR ! That's what Im looking for, scientific researches

17. It doesnt matter, hit your macros and get over pre/post blah blah blah bs. If you wanna get super anal go with complex per aragons research as stated earlier
  18. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

This was my main point.

No.

There is not.

There likely never will be.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

19. Quote Originally Posted by Markusrulezzz View Post
    Thank YOU SIR ! That's what Im looking for, scientific researches
    NP, pm me if you have any other questions

20. It's strawberry season here. So that is what I use at the moment. Yummy!

Post workout can really be whatever floats your boat.

21. Complex Carbs for me. Always has been.

22. I have always used simple carbs, but just ordered oats, so I guess I will see if there is any difference.

23. Quote Originally Posted by rms80

I usually take in 30 grams of whey protein and 50 grams of simple sugars (grape juice) directly after my workout, and then have a protein/complex carb meal (30 grams protein/100 grams complex carbs) about 1-1.5 hrs. afterward. You don't have to worry about fat accumulation in the post-wo anabolic window, because your body uses this period of time to re-synthesize glycogen and replenish amino acid stores in skeletal muscle.......
    first markusrules ask a great question. its something I was always unsure about.
    -i always go complex all day. and try to stay away from sugars and starchs.
    but heres the thing as quoted above. does that shot of sugar after a,work out really help?? I do mix honey or bp into my shakes from time to time. but should this be part of the post rutine? u do hear ppl talking about the insuline boost.
    basicly, I have the same question..
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619

24. another pwo carb thread...i guess the search function is broken...

25. A lot of people say it only makes a difference if you're diabetic....
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

26. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    another pwo carb thread...i guess the search function is broken...
    fairly new here, to be honest the search here sux.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619

27. Favorite post workout meal...

80 grams oatmeal
    2 scoops Vanilla Cupcake Batter Protean

microwave it into a pie...

THEN spread two tablespoons natty pb on top with 3 splendas...mmmmmm so good. Body heats up CRAZY too! Digests so nicely with Hemavol running through my veins!
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

28. Quote Originally Posted by murk01 View Post
    fairly new here, to be honest the search here sux.
    this topic has been covered a zillion times, heres my 2 pennies....low gi vs high gi makes zero difference, carbs and protein or protein alone makes zero difference...i personally drink bcaa's/eaa's after my workout and then eat roughly 4 hours later, been doing this for awhile and still make gains....i do sometimes have a high calorie shake with carbs and pro if im hungry after my workout but not because of the "pwo anabolic window"

29. K.I.S.S.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

30. Complex vs simple carbs post workout is going to be a very minimal difference if any.

Or in other words, it doesnt matter
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post Workout Carbs ---Simple or Complex?
    By bakerderek0 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM
  2. Simple/Complex carbs clarification
    By Deltaflaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM