Fish Oil/Indigestion

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have been off of Fish Oil for a good while. I started using it again as I am trying to get my training and diet back up to par. I have been noticing a significant increase in acid indigestion. Is this a known side effect? Anyone else notice the same effect?

It isn't much of a problem that can't be dealt with. I am just curious.

Thanks.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil has poor absorption and digestion rate, go with krill oil...

shotdead42

Awards
Fish oil has poor absorption and digestion rate, go with krill oil...
everyone is different, i don't experience bloating or anything with it or any problems, but thats me... and if you just got back on it just give it time. And make sure you take it with food not on an empty stomach

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
everyone is different, i don't experience bloating or anything with it or any problems, but thats me... and if you just got back on it just give it time. And make sure you take it with food not on an empty stomach
Yeah I always take it with food. I didn't notice it as much today.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
This is interesting because I just started taking fish oil & I notice a mild pain in my heart area. Its like a needle poking me in the heart. It may be unrelated, but it started at the same time I began fish oil consumption. I've never had heart burn or acid indigestin. I dunno. It's not a constant pain, but kind of erratic.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
This is interesting because I just started taking fish oil & I notice a mild pain in my heart area. Its like a needle poking me in the heart. It may be unrelated, but it started at the same time I began fish oil consumption. I've never had heart burn or acid indigestin. I dunno. It's not a constant pain, but kind of erratic.
Sounds like maybe an esophegus spasm, which I suffer from a lot. Never hurts to check it out. Oximega Fish Oil helped, Trader Joe's Odorless completely eliminated it as a result from fish oil. Trying Krill now.

Had to spell esophegus spasm wrong because it kept getting filtered...LOL

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
My doctor says she FREEZES her fish oil caps before she takes them and that way she won't burp up fishy nast ...

She swears by it.

Me? I kind of like those little Tuna burps so I just go with flow ...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My doctor says she FREEZES her fish oil caps before she takes them and that way she won't burp up fishy nast ...

She swears by it.

Me? I kind of like those little Tuna burps so I just go with flow ...
i don't know about freezing, but i have been putting it in fridge after opening for a long time now.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i don't know about freezing, but i have been putting it in fridge after opening for a long time now.
Going to try that starting tomorrow. I have heard of that but just have never done it myself.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Going to try that starting tomorrow. I have heard of that but just have never done it myself.
it's automatic now, being doing it for a long time.

Awards
My doctor prescribed Lovaza. It's a pharmaceutical grade omega 3 fish oil. I never have issues with taste or burping up fish taste, but that could just be me.

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah if you take it with meals it can sometimes be worse too as the fatty acids rise to the top of your stomach and cause heartburn. If you are getting heartburn from it at all you can use some sodium alginate, which acts as a barrier between your eso****us and the fatty acids.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19