Poll: Which type of carb do you recommend post workout?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Post Workout Carbs ---Simple or Complex?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.24%

Post Workout Carbs ---Simple or Complex?

I noticed in a thread yesterday, a lot of people eating oats post workout. Oats are complex carbs. My understanding is you want simple carbs to spike insulin and in turn boost protein absorbtion.

So, which do you put in your post workout shake?

Complex carbs: whole wheat, oats, etc...

simple carbs: dextrose, waxy maize, sugar, etc...

A reason why would be great too.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.24%

Also, I am asking about your immediate post workout shake. Not post workout meal.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.68%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bakerderek0 View Post
    I noticed in a thread yesterday, a lot of people eating oats post workout. Oats are complex carbs. My understanding is you want simple carbs to spike insulin and in turn boost protein absorbtion.

So, which do you put in your post workout shake?

Complex carbs: whole wheat, oats, etc...

simple carbs: dextrose, waxy maize, sugar, etc...

A reason why would be great too.
    The best thing is to include BOTH simple and complex carbohydrates. If you are only going to use one, then you want simple carbohydrates immediately post-training yes, since they get absorbed into the bloodstream faster, and the best thing to use is probably straight dextrose.

Everyone is different, though, and some people do not use carbohydrates post-training at all. You just have to do what's best for YOU.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I just have a protein shake, followed by big a$$ meal 30 mins later (usually whole wheat pasta + tuna/chicken)
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

this is an old thread,But i ALWAYS used to have dex/whey postw/o.. but lately but I prefer to drink my dextrose / whey WHILE i train, then 30 min after i'll eat 1-2c white rice and 6-8oz steak..
    so ya simple carbs of courseeee but like rosie said throwing some complex in there is a good idea cause it will keep ya fuller longer. for sure
  6. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Carbs are not necessary postworkout. The insulin spike during the postworkout period has been demonstrated to be biphasic, with the first portion being carbohydrate-independent. So just your protein shake will do. And this is all assuming that postworkout nutrition is necessary, which it isn't. Hell, it isn't even optimal in most situations, namely on a bulk. Inb4negs
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.72%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I never consume carbs post. But if i had to choose of course simple carbs. Complex carbs with pre workout meal.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.24%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Carbs are not necessary postworkout. The insulin spike during the postworkout period has been demonstrated to be biphasic, with the first portion being carbohydrate-independent. So just your protein shake will do. And this is all assuming that postworkout nutrition is necessary, which it isn't. Hell, it isn't even optimal in most situations, namely on a bulk. Inb4negs
    Could you expand on this please.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.13%

Simple like dextrose and malto mixture, but when contest dieting oats. I have my reasons
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

yeah no carbs for me, i can restore glycogen throughout the whole day not in one protein shake
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.81%

This might make for some good convo if you come back to this thread. Specifically why you're saying post workout nutrition is not optimal during a bulk. I could answer what i think you're saying, but obv i'm not going to put words in your mouth.
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Revolutionizing Nutrition, AND your body!
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by beni182 View Post
    Could you expand on this please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rochabp View Post
    yeah no carbs for me, i can restore glycogen throughout the whole day not in one protein shake
    beni, this guy hit the nail on the head^. A couple of points:

A. A weight training session is not glycogen depleting like an endurance event may be
    B. If you're not training twice in one day, then you have the whole day to replenish the small amount of lost glycogen.
    C. If you are bulking then all of this is even less of a concern if your routine does not place the same body part two training days in a row.
    D. Overall macronutrient targets and calories are what dictate body composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    This might make for some good convo if you come back to this thread. Specifically why you're saying post workout nutrition is not optimal during a bulk. I could answer what i think you're saying, but obv i'm not going to put words in your mouth.
    By not optimal, I meant it is no better than at any other point of the day (people frequently make the argument that carbs postworkout are not necessary, but they are optimal).
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.17%
    Achievements Activity Pro

A. A weight training session is not glycogen depleting like an endurance event may be
    B. If you're not training twice in one day, then you have the whole day to replenish the small amount of lost glycogen.
    C. If you are bulking then all of this is even less of a concern if your routine does not place the same body part two training days in a row.
    D. Overall macronutrient targets and calories are what dictate body composition.

By not optimal, I meant it is no better than at any other point of the day (people frequently make the argument that carbs postworkout are not necessary, but they are optimal).
    Glad you explained it. Your post came off as carbs post workout not necessary. I find that time OPTIMAL because I'm so damn hungry after a killer workout so it's the best time to slam down a tonnn of food
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

you know i try...
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  15. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.04%

Low glycemic carbs post-workout, most completely over estimate their carbohydrate needs, i see 80-100g's from dextrose, vitargo etc and cringe, you can do just fine cutting that in half. I totally agree that glycogen will be restored throughout the day, some even opt to ditch post-workout carbs entirely to prevent blunting the growth hormone release from your training session and to enhance insulin sensitivity.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.24%

Im not so much concerned with glycogen replenishment, but the possible benefits of insulin around the workout and the increased sensitivity to insulin after workout. And the addition of carbs with protein/BCAA's, resulting in increased protein synthesis.

Since, we are on this subject.

What would you personally recommend for macros/supplements, as an optimal pre, intra, and post workout.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.17%

Quote Originally Posted by beni182

Im not so much concerned with glycogen replenishment, but the possible benefits of insulin around the workout and the increased sensitivity to insulin after workout. And the addition of carbs with protein/BCAA's, resulting in increased protein synthesis.

What would you personally recommend for macros/supplements, as an optimal pre, intra, and post workout.
    For bulking I know he would do 1.3-1.5g protein bw, 400+g carbs and lotsa healthy fat.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%

This is very interesting to me.. Idk what the hell you're talking about man, cause I have a REALLY fast metabolism, and I'm barely full for the first half of my workout, and I KNOW by the time im done im flat and depleted.
    I don't understand how you would recommend not eating carbs post w/o, I've always understood that carbs "shuttled" the protein in,

and could you please explain how it isnt optimal in a bulking session? you didnt really clarify
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.17%

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni

This is very interesting to me.. Idk what the hell you're talking about man, cause I have a REALLY fast metabolism, and I'm barely full for the first half of my workout, and I KNOW by the time im done im flat and depleted.
    I don't understand how you would recommend not eating carbs post w/o, I've always understood that carbs "shuttled" the protein in,

and could you please explain how it isnt optimal in a bulking session? you didnt really clarify
    Misunderstood him. I read it as him saying that simple/complex carbs are not needed postworkout AS long as you're meeting the daily macros each day. That the TIMING of when you get those macros isnt important, its important that you meet them.

For a bulk he is saying IMO that you are eating in a calorie surplus so you should be intaking plenty of food and carbs especially therefore "Timing" is not important.

Simply put, its not important when you eat, its important you eat and hit your macros.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%

^^ ahh thanks daycrawler that actually makes ALOT of sense. I mean I completely agree that it is more important to worry about your macros than it is to worry about timing.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44%

i like a mix of half dextrose half malto dextrin
  22. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%

Quote Originally Posted by beni182 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    For bulking I know he would do 1.3-1.5g protein bw, 400+g carbs and lotsa healthy fat.
    Actually, on a bulk I would recommend the following:

300-500 calorie surplus
    1g protein/lb BW (no need for more, as the heavy intake of carbs on a bulk is quite protein-sparing)
    0.45g fat/lb BW (IMO the minimum for healthy hormonal production and other bodily functions)
    Fill in the rest of the calories however you please, preferably with carbs (this number will actually come out to a lot of carbs if you're doing it right)

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

^^ ahh thanks daycrawler that actually makes ALOT of sense. I mean I completely agree that it is more important to worry about your macros than it is to worry about timing.
    Yeah sorry, when I said it wasn't optimal, I didn't mean that it was suboptimal; rather, it was just as relevant as consuming carbs at any other time of day.

Also, if you are flat and depleted at the end of your workout, I take it you are engaging in a bodypart split (one part each day)? If this is the case, you typically have 3-7 days to replenish the glycogen for the body part, rendering postworkout nutrition no more important than any other meal. Further, carbs are not necessary to "shuttle" the protein...studies have been done on this postworkout insulin spike, and as stated earlier, the first phase of the spike is carbohydrate-independent. Whether you consume carbohydrates or not, the protein will be "shuttled" perfectly well. Now if you eat 2-3 hours after your workout, the carbohydrate-DEPENDENT spike comes into play, so if you're hitting a set amount of carbs each day, I'd actually opt for more carbs in your post-post-workout meal and less or none in your immediately postworkout shake.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.76%

Post workout carbs might not be necessary, but they are a huge help getting my total calories in especially since I'm so hungry after a workout.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.93%

@ cooper. to be honest im never full man.. not till the end and i mean right before i go to bed on an off day presuming ive been eating a fair amount of carbs..
    But no i train 2 bodyparts a day and usually hit my muscles every 4th or 5th day (4th for legs back/bis and chest/tris tends to be 5 )
  25. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%

@ cooper. to be honest im never full man.. not till the end and i mean right before i go to bed on an off day presuming ive been eating a fair amount of carbs..
    But no i train 2 bodyparts a day and usually hit my muscles every 4th or 5th day (4th for legs back/bis and chest/tris tends to be 5 )
    That is quite a bit odd, especially if your carb intake is there.

Regardless, if you are training muscle groups on 4-5 day rotations, a postworkout meal's glycogen replenishment is pretty much moot.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.81%

Coop, would you suggest any kind of carb timing for those of us that use the PHAT training regimine? Do the full body (upper) workout days change up how you would dose carbs? Bulking obv.
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Revolutionizing Nutrition, AND your body!
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  27. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadam View Post
    Coop, would you suggest any kind of carb timing for those of us that use the PHAT training regimine? Do the full body (upper) workout days change up how you would dose carbs? Bulking obv.
    Not particularly man. I like to get a decent amount of carbs in before my workout because there is modest evidence showing that pre-workout carbs can aid performance.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.66%

I usually have a meal about 1-2 hours before I'm at the gym then right before I lift I'll eat a piece of fruit. It's great idea to have simple carbs before your workout!
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.81%

everybody does it different. me personally i voted simple, but what i do is 30g whey with either a bananna or a table spoon or so of honey. then about an hour later i eat a regular meal
    Noob looking for alot of guidance
    I've got a hold of some omnadren 250(is sustanon better?) and I'm pretty much clueless about steroids. All i know about it is that it easily aromatizes and it holds alot of water

Similar Forum Threads

1. Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
  2. Simple/Complex carbs clarification
    By Deltaflaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
  4. A simple approach to Pre and Post workout meals
    By pudzian2 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7