Post Workout Carbs ---Simple or Complex?

Which type of carb do you recommend post workout?

• Total voters
bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
I noticed in a thread yesterday, a lot of people eating oats post workout. Oats are complex carbs. My understanding is you want simple carbs to spike insulin and in turn boost protein absorbtion.

So, which do you put in your post workout shake?

Complex carbs: whole wheat, oats, etc...

simple carbs: dextrose, waxy maize, sugar, etc...

A reason why would be great too.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Also, I am asking about your immediate post workout shake. Not post workout meal.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I noticed in a thread yesterday, a lot of people eating oats post workout. Oats are complex carbs. My understanding is you want simple carbs to spike insulin and in turn boost protein absorbtion.

So, which do you put in your post workout shake?

Complex carbs: whole wheat, oats, etc...

simple carbs: dextrose, waxy maize, sugar, etc...

A reason why would be great too.
The best thing is to include BOTH simple and complex carbohydrates. If you are only going to use one, then you want simple carbohydrates immediately post-training yes, since they get absorbed into the bloodstream faster, and the best thing to use is probably straight dextrose.

Everyone is different, though, and some people do not use carbohydrates post-training at all. You just have to do what's best for YOU.

~Rosie~

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
I just have a protein shake, followed by big a$$ meal 30 mins later (usually whole wheat pasta + tuna/chicken)

aceroni

Awards
this is an old thread,But i ALWAYS used to have dex/whey postw/o.. but lately but I prefer to drink my dextrose / whey WHILE i train, then 30 min after i'll eat 1-2c white rice and 6-8oz steak..
so ya simple carbs of courseeee but like rosie said throwing some complex in there is a good idea cause it will keep ya fuller longer. for sure

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Carbs are not necessary postworkout. The insulin spike during the postworkout period has been demonstrated to be biphasic, with the first portion being carbohydrate-independent. So just your protein shake will do. And this is all assuming that postworkout nutrition is necessary, which it isn't. Hell, it isn't even optimal in most situations, namely on a bulk. Inb4negs

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never consume carbs post. But if i had to choose of course simple carbs. Complex carbs with pre workout meal.

beni182

beni182

Awards
Carbs are not necessary postworkout. The insulin spike during the postworkout period has been demonstrated to be biphasic, with the first portion being carbohydrate-independent. So just your protein shake will do. And this is all assuming that postworkout nutrition is necessary, which it isn't. Hell, it isn't even optimal in most situations, namely on a bulk. Inb4negs
Could you expand on this please.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Simple like dextrose and malto mixture, but when contest dieting oats. I have my reasons

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah no carbs for me, i can restore glycogen throughout the whole day not in one protein shake

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This might make for some good convo if you come back to this thread. Specifically why you're saying post workout nutrition is not optimal during a bulk. I could answer what i think you're saying, but obv i'm not going to put words in your mouth.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Could you expand on this please.
yeah no carbs for me, i can restore glycogen throughout the whole day not in one protein shake
beni, this guy hit the nail on the head^. A couple of points:

A. A weight training session is not glycogen depleting like an endurance event may be
B. If you're not training twice in one day, then you have the whole day to replenish the small amount of lost glycogen.
C. If you are bulking then all of this is even less of a concern if your routine does not place the same body part two training days in a row.
D. Overall macronutrient targets and calories are what dictate body composition.

This might make for some good convo if you come back to this thread. Specifically why you're saying post workout nutrition is not optimal during a bulk. I could answer what i think you're saying, but obv i'm not going to put words in your mouth.
By not optimal, I meant it is no better than at any other point of the day (people frequently make the argument that carbs postworkout are not necessary, but they are optimal).

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established

A. A weight training session is not glycogen depleting like an endurance event may be
B. If you're not training twice in one day, then you have the whole day to replenish the small amount of lost glycogen.
C. If you are bulking then all of this is even less of a concern if your routine does not place the same body part two training days in a row.
D. Overall macronutrient targets and calories are what dictate body composition.

By not optimal, I meant it is no better than at any other point of the day (people frequently make the argument that carbs postworkout are not necessary, but they are optimal).
Glad you explained it. Your post came off as carbs post workout not necessary. I find that time OPTIMAL because I'm so damn hungry after a killer workout so it's the best time to slam down a tonnn of food :D

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you know i try... ;)

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Low glycemic carbs post-workout, most completely over estimate their carbohydrate needs, i see 80-100g's from dextrose, vitargo etc and cringe, you can do just fine cutting that in half. I totally agree that glycogen will be restored throughout the day, some even opt to ditch post-workout carbs entirely to prevent blunting the growth hormone release from your training session and to enhance insulin sensitivity.

beni182

beni182

Awards

Im not so much concerned with glycogen replenishment, but the possible benefits of insulin around the workout and the increased sensitivity to insulin after workout. And the addition of carbs with protein/BCAA's, resulting in increased protein synthesis.

Since, we are on this subject.

What would you personally recommend for macros/supplements, as an optimal pre, intra, and post workout.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Im not so much concerned with glycogen replenishment, but the possible benefits of insulin around the workout and the increased sensitivity to insulin after workout. And the addition of carbs with protein/BCAA's, resulting in increased protein synthesis.

What would you personally recommend for macros/supplements, as an optimal pre, intra, and post workout.
For bulking I know he would do 1.3-1.5g protein bw, 400+g carbs and lotsa healthy fat.

aceroni

Awards

This is very interesting to me.. Idk what the hell you're talking about man, cause I have a REALLY fast metabolism, and I'm barely full for the first half of my workout, and I KNOW by the time im done im flat and depleted.
I don't understand how you would recommend not eating carbs post w/o, I've always understood that carbs "shuttled" the protein in,

and could you please explain how it isnt optimal in a bulking session? you didnt really clarify

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
This is very interesting to me.. Idk what the hell you're talking about man, cause I have a REALLY fast metabolism, and I'm barely full for the first half of my workout, and I KNOW by the time im done im flat and depleted.
I don't understand how you would recommend not eating carbs post w/o, I've always understood that carbs "shuttled" the protein in,

and could you please explain how it isnt optimal in a bulking session? you didnt really clarify
Misunderstood him. I read it as him saying that simple/complex carbs are not needed postworkout AS long as you're meeting the daily macros each day. That the TIMING of when you get those macros isnt important, its important that you meet them.

For a bulk he is saying IMO that you are eating in a calorie surplus so you should be intaking plenty of food and carbs especially therefore "Timing" is not important.

Simply put, its not important when you eat, its important you eat and hit your macros.

aceroni

Awards
^^ ahh thanks daycrawler that actually makes ALOT of sense. I mean I completely agree that it is more important to worry about your macros than it is to worry about timing.

wutsrealgood

Awards
i like a mix of half dextrose half malto dextrin

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

For bulking I know he would do 1.3-1.5g protein bw, 400+g carbs and lotsa healthy fat.
Actually, on a bulk I would recommend the following:

300-500 calorie surplus
1g protein/lb BW (no need for more, as the heavy intake of carbs on a bulk is quite protein-sparing)
0.45g fat/lb BW (IMO the minimum for healthy hormonal production and other bodily functions)
Fill in the rest of the calories however you please, preferably with carbs (this number will actually come out to a lot of carbs if you're doing it right)

^^ ahh thanks daycrawler that actually makes ALOT of sense. I mean I completely agree that it is more important to worry about your macros than it is to worry about timing.
Yeah sorry, when I said it wasn't optimal, I didn't mean that it was suboptimal; rather, it was just as relevant as consuming carbs at any other time of day.

Also, if you are flat and depleted at the end of your workout, I take it you are engaging in a bodypart split (one part each day)? If this is the case, you typically have 3-7 days to replenish the glycogen for the body part, rendering postworkout nutrition no more important than any other meal. Further, carbs are not necessary to "shuttle" the protein...studies have been done on this postworkout insulin spike, and as stated earlier, the first phase of the spike is carbohydrate-independent. Whether you consume carbohydrates or not, the protein will be "shuttled" perfectly well. Now if you eat 2-3 hours after your workout, the carbohydrate-DEPENDENT spike comes into play, so if you're hitting a set amount of carbs each day, I'd actually opt for more carbs in your post-post-workout meal and less or none in your immediately postworkout shake.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Post workout carbs might not be necessary, but they are a huge help getting my total calories in especially since I'm so hungry after a workout.

aceroni

Awards
@ cooper. to be honest im never full man.. not till the end and i mean right before i go to bed on an off day presuming ive been eating a fair amount of carbs..
But no i train 2 bodyparts a day and usually hit my muscles every 4th or 5th day (4th for legs back/bis and chest/tris tends to be 5 )

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
@ cooper. to be honest im never full man.. not till the end and i mean right before i go to bed on an off day presuming ive been eating a fair amount of carbs..
But no i train 2 bodyparts a day and usually hit my muscles every 4th or 5th day (4th for legs back/bis and chest/tris tends to be 5 )
That is quite a bit odd, especially if your carb intake is there.

Regardless, if you are training muscle groups on 4-5 day rotations, a postworkout meal's glycogen replenishment is pretty much moot.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coop, would you suggest any kind of carb timing for those of us that use the PHAT training regimine? Do the full body (upper) workout days change up how you would dose carbs? Bulking obv.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Coop, would you suggest any kind of carb timing for those of us that use the PHAT training regimine? Do the full body (upper) workout days change up how you would dose carbs? Bulking obv.
Not particularly man. I like to get a decent amount of carbs in before my workout because there is modest evidence showing that pre-workout carbs can aid performance.

Fuzexd

Awards
I usually have a meal about 1-2 hours before I'm at the gym then right before I lift I'll eat a piece of fruit. It's great idea to have simple carbs before your workout!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
everybody does it different. me personally i voted simple, but what i do is 30g whey with either a bananna or a table spoon or so of honey. then about an hour later i eat a regular meal