help me advise a client on protein supplement

S

steakboy

I have a client i've been training for a few months now, and he's been showing some decent gains on a modified anabolic diet, and some high time under tension workouts in conjunction with some GPP or high intensity workouts. his off days include either cardio or core workouts.

I've been advising him on his supplementation for some extra protein without the unwanted calories. He told me that any of the whey supplements give him stomach cramps and bloating and gas. i can attest that this can happen early in the game because the first whey supps i tried gave me HORRIBLE gas, and some nasty bloating.

as a test i gave him the gatorade protein which is all hydrolyzed whey. he said it worked out for him, so he bought optimum nutrition's hydro whey. I was thinking that this is the closest thing to a pre-digested and bio-available protein as he can get so why not right? he tried it for about a month and is still getting cramps and bloating.

so help me out here... anything i can do for him?

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
What's he mixing it with? Maybe (but probably not) that's the culprit.

I've tried serveral differen't protien powders, I don't get the cramps but always the gas.

Maybe instead of the powders, he can try some other protien supp. (although they probably won't be as cost effective)

Good luck.

J

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like he's using a whey concentrate or concentrate-dominant blend. Try getting samples of a 100% whey isolate (TruScience - makers of Trutein - offer samples on their website). If that's no good, I like Maximum Absorbed Protein by Primordial Performance. The MAP you would use strictly pre- and post- workout.

If he still is getting gas then either he should stick to solid foods when not around workout times or he's just taking in too much protein altogether.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not look at beef isolate or egg protein then, and see how that goes?

S

steakboy

Yeah I have him using egg for the time being. Not the best pick for post workout which is what advised on for any kind of supplement shake like this. Any other time of day his diet covers what he needs.

Whey hydrolosate was what I had him using. Hydro-whey is what its marketed as by optimum nutrition.