Vitex

DavidG

Awards
I picked up a bottle of NOW Vitex because of it's supposed effect on lowering prolactin (which in turn is supposed to reduce the refractory period and increase staying power...always a good benefit haha). I was just wondering if anybody has used it and noticed any enhanced sexual effects, and if so what dosages did you use?

I'm also a bit confused as I recently just read an article claiming that in men Vitex lowers testosterone levels and can kill sex drive...any truth to that claim?

fanzdslpwr

Awards
  • Established
I ran about 2,000mgs of vitex last spring daily for about 2 months and it did nothing for refractory period or sex drive

DavidG

Awards
Interesting...so does vitex actually lower prolactin, is there any actual evidence of this?
And does it have any effect on testosterone?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would find another option for lowering prolactin. This study has all sorts of problems but just as an example it can actually increase prolactin at certain doses.

1: Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 1996;104(6):447-53.Links
The effects of a special Agnus castus extract (BP1095E1) on prolactin secretion in healthy male subjects.
Merz PG, Gorkow C, Schrödter A, Rietbrock S, Sieder C, Loew D, Dericks-Tan JS, Taubert HD.

Department for Clinical Pharmacology, Frankfurt University Clinic, Neumarkt, Germany.

The effects of three doses of a special Agnus castus extract (BP1095E1)--extracts from 120 mg, 240 mg and 480 mg of drug per day--were examined within the framework of a placebo-controlled clinical study of tolerance and prolactin secretion in 20 healthy male subjects during a period of 14 days. There was good tolerance during the study as regards the following: adverse effects, the effects on blood pressure and heart rate, blood count, Quick's test, clinical chemistry as well as testosterone, FSH and LH values. During each study phase the 24-hour prolactin secretion profile was measured from the penultimate to the final day, and the amount of prolactin release was monitored an hour after TRH stimulation on the last day. A significant increase in the 24-hour profile was registered with the lowest dose in comparison to placebo, the opposite being the case with the higher doses, i.e. a slight reduction. In contrast to the administration of placebo, the 1-hour AUC after TRH stimulation resulted in a significant increase with the lowest dose and a significant reduction with the highest dose. The results suggest effects of the special Agnus castus extract which are dependent on the dose administered and the initial level of prolactin concentration.

PMID: 9021345 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]