Gatorade+Whey?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Gatorade+Whey?

Anyone doing this? Will it work good as a PWO shake after cardio?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.

It probably wouldn't taste good but you can do it. A lot of times I'll mix orange juice with vanilla whey after workout, kinda like a bootleg orange creamsicle.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kanakafarian View Post
    It probably wouldn't taste good but you can do it. A lot of times I'll mix orange juice with vanilla whey after workout, kinda like a bootleg orange creamsicle.
    lol, I might try that!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Try the orange flavored Muscle Replenisher from ****, it is exactly what you are describing! If you mix it with milk it tastes just like an orange creamsicle.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
    Anyone doing this? Will it work good as a PWO shake after cardio?
    You could do this. I have done it in the past with a couple ratios. 1:3, 1:2 and 1:1. I bloated pretty bad on the 1:2 and 1:3, but I was bulking and didn't really care all that much.

Now as a PWO for after cardio? Bad, bad, bad idea if you are trying to lose weight. Protein in itself will provide enough of an insulin spike for protein to be shuttled into your muscles and glycogen be restored.
    If you hit up Gatorade (dextrose and sucrose), you will cause a much larger spike in insulin and your body will release cortisol to combat the insulin. It is the natural phase of insulin to do this (plus you will get a second hit of insulin when your pancreas makes more bc you aren't using a mimetic). For bodybuilding and bulking this is perfect, for weight loss that increase in cortisol means you are slowing down fat burning significantly.
    If your cardio is HIIT you will get some better results bc your body will have been under more stress and will in turn burn more energy as it return to normal (sometimes as long as 48 hours after). If you are just doing a long cardio session, but are staying around 60% your MHR, I'd say that you need to avoid carbs PWO and stick with the protein.
    If you are worried about being catabolic, toss in some BCAA's. Maybe 5 or 10 grams. I do 5 and it works just fine. You won't burn a ton of muscle and you won't lose the ability to burn off that fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post
    lol in highschool i ran the original halodrol 50 for 8 weeks with clenbuterol and vodka as pct
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/193259-begins-morry-vs.html
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Optimum Nutrition Strawberry Whey + Gatorade Lemon Lime powder (not bottled)

I used to do this...
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

I buy the big containers of gatorade powder. My normal workout drink is 1 scoop of the blue or red gatorade, and 2 scoops vanilla protein powder mixed with 16 ounces of water. Taste is pretty good.. In fact I really like it.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by morry View Post
    You could do this. I have done it in the past with a couple ratios. 1:3, 1:2 and 1:1. I bloated pretty bad on the 1:2 and 1:3, but I was bulking and didn't really care all that much.

Now as a PWO for after cardio? Bad, bad, bad idea if you are trying to lose weight. Protein in itself will provide enough of an insulin spike for protein to be shuttled into your muscles and glycogen be restored.
    If you hit up Gatorade (dextrose and sucrose), you will cause a much larger spike in insulin and your body will release cortisol to combat the insulin. It is the natural phase of insulin to do this (plus you will get a second hit of insulin when your pancreas makes more bc you aren't using a mimetic). For bodybuilding and bulking this is perfect, for weight loss that increase in cortisol means you are slowing down fat burning significantly.
    If your cardio is HIIT you will get some better results bc your body will have been under more stress and will in turn burn more energy as it return to normal (sometimes as long as 48 hours after). If you are just doing a long cardio session, but are staying around 60% your MHR, I'd say that you need to avoid carbs PWO and stick with the protein.
    If you are worried about being catabolic, toss in some BCAA's. Maybe 5 or 10 grams. I do 5 and it works just fine. You won't burn a ton of muscle and you won't lose the ability to burn off that fat.
    Cool, I do HIT, with maxing my heart rate up 190 sometimes with both running and weights. Those are the times I wanna use a PWO shake. I do slow pace running also and like you said I only use some BCAA for those. How much cabs/ protein should I have for a 40 min workout with ~700 cal, max hr ~190, avg hr ~160? I try to stay lean btw.

Thanks for your help!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
    Cool, I do HIT, with maxing my heart rate up 190 sometimes with both running and weights. Those are the times I wanna use a PWO shake. I do slow pace running also and like you said I only use some BCAA for those. How much cabs/ protein should I have for a 40 min workout with ~700 cal, max hr ~190, avg hr ~160? I try to stay lean btw.

Thanks for your help!
    I'd stick to a low ratio if you are trying to stay lean.

.5:1 or something at the most.
    Even after a run like that, I wouldn't think your glycogen levels would be low enough to need anything higher than maybe 25CHO/50 protien. You could drop the carbs all together and just use BCAAs like you've already been doing.
    Keep in mind tho, you are making your body burn more fat if you take this approach, which compared to burning carbs, your body is inefficient at doing (what I'm saying is it will make you VERY tired). Grunt through the run and make yourself complete it with as little carbs as possible. If you hit some BCAAs before and after, I think you will be happy with your results.

Now if you have a very heavy lifting day the next day, you might find it useful to change the ratio to 1:1 to replace any glycogen in the muscles and liver so you are ready for the heavey lifting the next day.
    The way I can tell is I keep my carbs as low as possible to stay lean but if I'm so sluggish and light headed the next day, I know my post workout meal the previous day could have had some more carbs.

You'll have to mess around with it for a while, but you'll find the right balance that keeps you lean, maintains as much muscles as possible, and doesn't leave you feeling like throwing up during your run
    lol in highschool i ran the original halodrol 50 for 8 weeks with clenbuterol and vodka as pct
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

I'd stick to a low ratio if you are trying to stay lean.

.5:1 or something at the most.
    Even after a run like that, I wouldn't think your glycogen levels would be low enough to need anything higher than maybe 25CHO/50 protien. You could drop the carbs all together and just use BCAAs like you've already been doing.
    Keep in mind tho, you are making your body burn more fat if you take this approach, which compared to burning carbs, your body is inefficient at doing (what I'm saying is it will make you VERY tired). Grunt through the run and make yourself complete it with as little carbs as possible. If you hit some BCAAs before and after, I think you will be happy with your results.

Now if you have a very heavy lifting day the next day, you might find it useful to change the ratio to 1:1 to replace any glycogen in the muscles and liver so you are ready for the heavey lifting the next day.
    The way I can tell is I keep my carbs as low as possible to stay lean but if I'm so sluggish and light headed the next day, I know my post workout meal the previous day could have had some more carbs.

You'll have to mess around with it for a while, but you'll find the right balance that keeps you lean, maintains as much muscles as possible, and doesn't leave you feeling like throwing up during your run
    That's almost what I been doing, keeping the carbs around 25 and pro 40-50 for my PWO shake. I sip on BCAA before and sometimes when I lift I sip BCAA during.

Thanks for your help!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.

Gatorade has high fructose corn syrup... a majority of fructose, in the body, is turned to fat. It's also mildly liver toxic and doesn't replenish glycogen in the muscle, only in the liver.
    Celtic Labs Rep
  12. JJC
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackGuy View Post
    Gatorade has high fructose corn syrup... a majority of fructose, in the body, is turned to fat. It's also mildly liver toxic and doesn't replenish glycogen in the muscle, only in the liver.
    Not true. Not all Gatorade contains HFCS. I'm not sure but it's possible they have removed HFCS from all of their products...at least I haven't seen it in awhile.

I'd check the labels first.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackGuy View Post
    False

Quote Originally Posted by wiki-on-gatorade
    The composition of Gatorade products varies depending upon the product in question, as well as the country in which it is sold. In regards to sweeteners, Gatorade switched in 2010 from high fructose corn syrup to the use of a sucrose-dextrose mix in Original Gatorade and most other flavors. G2 and G2 Natural, however, are sweetened in part with PureVia, an extract of the Stevia plant.[29] The Original Gatorade contains water, sucrose (table sugar), dextrose, citric acid, natural flavor, sodium chloride (table salt), sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, and flavoring/coloring ingredients; some Gatorade flavor variations use brominated vegetable oil as a stabilizer.[30] An 8 US fluid ounces (240 ml) serving of Original Gatorade contains 50 calories, 14 grams of carbohydrates, 110 mg sodium and 30 mg potassium.
    or in this thread

I'm pokin at ya, but they changed that man. I wouldn't knowingly stick 50 grams of HFCS in my body at all. Let alone post workout.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Gatorade+BCAA's
    By onlyone in forum Supplements
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 05:22 PM
  2. Gatorade-4-Carbs?
    By jcr1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
  3. GATORADE?
    By iwinulose2981 in forum Weight Loss